Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

An Apology to Our Players Using NA/EU Data CentersFollow

#52 Aug 26 2013 at 8:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Hmm. Call it the perils of success.
Looks like SE was completely taken by surprise by the flood of players.


The problem is, this is happening on legacy servers too. You know exactly how many players you transferred! How did you not plan for this exact number of players to play?
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1183812[/ffxivsig]
#53 Aug 26 2013 at 8:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Nashred wrote:

Every minute they dont reply to my service ticket I get more angry.
Edited, Aug 26th 2013 10:53am by Nashred


The funniest thing I read was when they said that the service tickets weren't being filled and the cause was "Under Investigation". I envision the GMs in a small cramped room in the middle of Canada staring at the same "world is full" screen before saying "Forget this!" and going home.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#54 Aug 26 2013 at 8:59 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,821 posts
Valkayree wrote:
I envision the GMs in a small cramped room in the middle of Canada staring at the same "world is full" screen before saying "Forget this. eh!" and going home on a goose.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#55Ehllfire, Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 9:04 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Oh the servers will burst into flame tomorrow. Its going to be ugly.
#56 Aug 26 2013 at 9:06 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Louiscool wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Hmm. Call it the perils of success.
Looks like SE was completely taken by surprise by the flood of players.


The problem is, this is happening on legacy servers too. You know exactly how many players you transferred! How did you not plan for this exact number of players to play?


I am not sure it is the amount of people.. Weren't the white angels saying once it becomes pay things would be better because all the people who were playing it just because it was free would be gone? Well you actually had to buy the game in most cases to play this weekend and there are more problems now.



Edited, Aug 26th 2013 11:09am by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#57 Aug 26 2013 at 9:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
I still say they are rushing this game do too money issues. Why else dont they have more support?. Why else are they rushing the game out the door?


I don't feel that the game is being rushed. I got to play several hours over the weekend, and in game, everything is incredibly polished and very well planned. This kind of game can only be created with careful, meticulous planning.

That said, something was definitely overlooked in the setup of servers or the data center. I don't think it's a matter of the game being rushed, so much as it's a matter of a massive technological SNAFU.

If this is a problem that won't be solved within the next week or two, then I think SE would be better off just taking the servers offline until things are OK for everyone. A big stress factor is this is an MMO, and people who aren't competitive about it at least don't want to feel like they're being left in the dust. That really compounds the problem of people not being able to log in, and it makes not having a queue even more frustrating. SE has gone so far to make such a great game... I wouldn't want to spoil its fun factor before people can even get through the login screen.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#58 Aug 26 2013 at 9:11 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
4,511 posts
Atleast SE will have a lot of new janitors after the official FFXIV release. No one ever gets fired in Japan, just transfered till they quit themselves. The office never looked so clean before.

Edited, Aug 26th 2013 5:11pm by KojiroSoma
____________________________
[XI] Surivere of Valefor
[XIV] Sir Surian Bedivere of Behemoth
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2401553/
#60 Aug 26 2013 at 9:15 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
I still say they are rushing this game do too money issues. Why else dont they have more support?. Why else are they rushing the game out the door?


I don't feel that the game is being rushed. I got to play several hours over the weekend, and in game, everything is incredibly polished and very well planned. This kind of game can only be created with careful, meticulous planning.

That said, something was definitely overlooked in the setup of servers or the data center. I don't think it's a matter of the game being rushed, so much as it's a matter of a massive technological SNAFU.

If this is a problem that won't be solved within the next week or two, then I think SE would be better off just taking the servers offline until things are OK for everyone. A big stress factor is this is an MMO, and people who aren't competitive about it at least don't want to feel like they're being left in the dust. That really compounds the problem of people not being able to log in, and it makes not having a queue even more frustrating. SE has gone so far to make such a great game... I wouldn't want to spoil its fun factor before people can even get through the login screen.


To me they dont have the resources. Some people can not even get to the point of logging on the servers period because there account is messed up. who closes support on the launch of a game.. There are thousand that have service account issues. This is going to take weeks to solve. How can you say it is not rushed when they have these problems, if it wasn't they would have fixed them by now.. Usually me and you agree but this time I have to respectfully disagree. Fun factor is in the game yes but polished no. Servers are all part of a mmo.

I do agree take servers off line and fix the account issues and everything else. Delay the launch, Add servers if need be and force people to new servers... Why dont they delay launch because they cant charge people til the game launches and they dont have the money to fix the problems in my opinion.

Edited, Aug 26th 2013 11:17am by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#61Ehllfire, Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 9:16 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Square-Enix: Japanese for Electronic Arts
#62 Aug 26 2013 at 9:16 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
488 posts
Crazy how a game not even released yet is in trouble already.
#63 Aug 26 2013 at 9:21 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
It is odd to me that their response to this mess wasn't, "Holy Crap looks at all this attention and interest we are getting for our game. Lets go balls to the wall to figure out how to accomodate all of these players and then celebrate our success"

Instead, they said, "Hmmm, we have way more players than we thought. Lets just wait it out and a good number of them will go away - then we will be able to handle the smaller loads"

I guess all I can say at this point is that I hope they at least set up the servers to adequately handle a load that is big enough to generate a profit. It is pretty clear that they have no plan for accomodating a larger-than-expected player base.

Edited, Aug 26th 2013 10:31am by Mithsavvy
#64 Aug 26 2013 at 9:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Valkayree wrote:
I envision the GMs in a small cramped room in the middle of Canada staring at the same "world is full" screen before saying "Forget this. eh!" and going home on a goose.


Aw ****, I forgot the "eh!"... Smiley: glare Ruins the funny
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#65 Aug 26 2013 at 9:24 AM Rating: Good
***
1,067 posts
An Apology is nice, but as everyone has pointed out, there is no timeline for the solution.

What really bothers me is that somehow SE found the situation they found themselves in to be "unexpected".
Somehow SE had no idea how many people placed a pre-order for FFXIV aRR?

Why wouldn't they simply have enough servers for everyone who purchased the pre-order? This seems like a no-brainer.

I tried all weekend to log on. Initially I wanted to be on Ultros as Thayos told me a lot of the old FFXI gang would be there.
Eventually I tried every server for a chance to at least experience the game and take advantage of the "early" access. No dice. All the servers were full.

I have to say that I think the banner ad at the top of this page for Guild Wars2 is very timely. All it says is "I'M IN!"

I do have one question.
As I tried to log in to the game I noticed the servers seemed to be separated by NA, EU and JP. Is that correct? Will the NA players not be with the EU and JP players?

I feel that combining players from vastly different time zones on each server was a more economical way of dealing with the overload. Yes, the playtimes will overlap somewhat, but it was fun to play with people from all over the world.

If all I need to know is a little English, I'm so going to be a GM.
#66 Aug 26 2013 at 9:33 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Well, they did say that they found out that some server settings were configured incorrectly... or something to that effect. Perhaps they thought they could handle the load that was coming, but the servers underperformed - as opposed to getting more players than they expected. I dunno, just thinking of other possibilities.

#67 Aug 26 2013 at 9:34 AM Rating: Default
**
487 posts
Mithsavvy wrote:
Well, they did say that they found out that some server settings were configured incorrectly... or something to that effect. Perhaps they thought they could handle the load that was coming, but the servers underperformed - as opposed to getting more players than they expected. I dunno, just thinking of other possibilities.


They resolved that but are still locking outplayers from playing so I think that was only a small part of the problem
____________________________
BANNED
#68 Aug 26 2013 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
ANewbForever wrote:

I do have one question.
As I tried to log in to the game I noticed the servers seemed to be separated by NA, EU and JP. Is that correct? Will the NA players not be with the EU and JP players?


Servers are divided into NA/EU and JP.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#69 Aug 26 2013 at 9:58 AM Rating: Good
Yes, because limiting how many people can login is a GREAT SOLUTION! It's a horrible temporary fix that WILL NOT WORK... Even I am getting ticked off at this and I am generally pretty patient. I cannot imagine how many players are quitting and cancelling their games due to this...
#70 Aug 26 2013 at 10:05 AM Rating: Good
**
336 posts
One worry is the average consumer. They do not check these forums or look up error info. They just will keep seeing error messages and assume the game is broken and quit.
#71 Aug 26 2013 at 10:05 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
180 posts
I'm still getting unable to load EU/NA worlds =(
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV
Rhaya Mewrilah
Ultros
Karma Zameleons

#72 Aug 26 2013 at 10:10 AM Rating: Excellent
I wonder what time today's maintenance will be?
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#73 Aug 26 2013 at 10:22 AM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
Given that I work tomorrow until 4:30 pm I think it will be safe to assume my chances of getting on a server are very slim. Not going to worry myself about picking my copy up at Midnight.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#74 Aug 26 2013 at 10:45 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
109 posts
As much as I hate my job, glad I'm here all day or else I'd be playing the log in game myself. At least they're staying in touch. Just hope it all gets resolved sooner rather than later.
____________________________
---------------------------------------
PSN: GongJr
FFXIV: Gong Jr - Ultros - WHM
Free Company: The Kraken Club
http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2253404/
#75 Aug 26 2013 at 10:50 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
254 posts
We see that they are sorry, but what about COMPENSATION, we paid extra for early access, and we got early ERRORS instead?
____________________________
Skadi Scion / Ultros Server

formerly Skadisleeves of Lakshmi in FFXI
#76 Aug 26 2013 at 11:05 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Westyle wrote:
One worry is the average consumer. They do not check these forums or look up error info. They just will keep seeing error messages and assume the game is broken and quit.


The average consumers don't usually play MMOs, and if so, it is usually until they figure out that they need to pay a subscription. MMOs take investment, and one of those investments is to follow up with the status on a message board of some sort. If you sign up to run a marathon, don't stab yourself in the eyes. You won't know where you are going. Smiley: schooled
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)