Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

other games that had "bad" launchesFollow

#1 Aug 27 2013 at 9:54 AM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
Im curious for all teh other games that didnt launch smoothly (diablo 3, simcity, WoW etc etc) how long did it take before they started functioning "properly" Im trying to calculate (based on games that had similar problems) if this is an issue that will be fixed/resolve by teh end of the week (if not sooner) or will this be something ppl will still be having an issue with/whining about til the end of Sept?


Also since 80% of us cant get on the servers we want due to this issue think it would only make sense if when world transfer is open EVERYONE is compenstaed by Se letting their first transfer be free.. dont you all think that would be fair?
#2 Aug 27 2013 at 9:57 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
It was not a bad launch, but a bad early access.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#3 Aug 27 2013 at 9:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
217 posts
I know FFXI did do this, but it was quite awhile after its launch. When some of the worlds were getting over crowded, they made new servers and offered world transfers to those servers for free. If things keep going the way they are on FFXIV, I can see them doing the same thing.
____________________________
Aeloriel Autumnleaf - Ultros Server

Karma Zameleons - LS
The Kraken Club - Zam Free Company

It's not the destination, it's the Journey!

#4 Aug 27 2013 at 9:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
95 posts
My opinion is its too early to declare it a disaster. Game just launched today so give it a week then start complaining and asking for free ****.
#5 Aug 27 2013 at 10:04 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
Valkayree wrote:
It was not a bad launch, but a bad early access.



except if teh problems that existed at Early Access still exist at launch (which they do) then would it not be considered a bad launch?
#6 Aug 27 2013 at 10:09 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
972 posts
Valkayree wrote:
It was not a bad launch, but a bad early access.


Everyone is still getting the 1017 error with no queue though. Is today not launch day?
#7 Aug 27 2013 at 10:43 AM Rating: Good
**
589 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Valkayree wrote:
It was not a bad launch, but a bad early access.


Everyone is still getting the 1017 error with no queue though. Is today not launch day?


No not everyone since the servers are full. You just don't see them here because they are too busy playing.
#8 Aug 27 2013 at 10:46 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
100 posts
I don't think this launch is a disaster. If you played 1.0 or betas or even I dare call it an early access, then you would understand why they put all of the restrictions into place. You will not get pity from anyone just because you cant create on a particular server.
I for one am glad they put restrictions in place until the initial wave of first time players is out of the way. I for one do not like having to go into maintenance every few hours because too many people are trying to all do things at once
#9 Aug 27 2013 at 10:55 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
cgmiller89 wrote:
I don't think this launch is a disaster. If you played 1.0 or betas or even I dare call it an early access, then you would understand why they put all of the restrictions into place. You will not get pity from anyone just because you cant create on a particular server.
I for one am glad they put restrictions in place until the initial wave of first time players is out of the way. I for one do not like having to go into maintenance every few hours because too many people are trying to all do things at once


Its ironic how when youre selecting your world it even reads "you can play with friends make sure you all select the same server" etc etc... ummm yeah because thats completely possible right now if theyre all on gilgamesh huh? lol

edit also explain FFXI then that game was out fo rh ow many years before servers were too full and they had to add news ones? clearly SE shoulda used teh same type/size servers on XIV as they did with XI lol

Edited, Aug 27th 2013 11:56am by DuoMaxwellxx
#10 Aug 27 2013 at 10:57 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
100 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
cgmiller89 wrote:
I don't think this launch is a disaster. If you played 1.0 or betas or even I dare call it an early access, then you would understand why they put all of the restrictions into place. You will not get pity from anyone just because you cant create on a particular server.
I for one am glad they put restrictions in place until the initial wave of first time players is out of the way. I for one do not like having to go into maintenance every few hours because too many people are trying to all do things at once


Its ironic how when youre selecting your world it even reads "you can play with friends make sure you all select the same server" etc etc... ummm yeah because thats completely possible right now if theyre all on gilgamesh huh? lol


No, but the restriction prevents the masses from ******** up the servers and kicking back into a 90000 error or any of the other numerous error that popped up during beta. So rather than crying bc you cant create on a specific server, suck it up and try again later or play a different server.
#11 Aug 27 2013 at 11:09 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
392 posts
Me and the better-half both love ffxiv. We both played ffxi and ffxiv 1.0. Both of these games had their 'hick-ups' but they were not as bad as ffxiv 2.0 (our opinions). It's just disappointing when we try to plan our workdays around the idea that we will be able to play with each other when we get home and one of us is able to log onto Hyperion while the other can't. We are still going to play ffxiv 2.0, just not together as soon as we'd hoped.
____________________________
"You are what you are on paper."
-
Avirex Idyll - Faerie Server
#12 Aug 27 2013 at 11:09 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
lol so youre saying if back when we were voting on the unofficial cst/est server and teh ZAM< server and you voted Gilgamesh (for example) Gilgamesh won the votes.. now you try to create a character on that server (the one you planned to join and voted on months ago). youd be completely fine with that and join a different server and miss out on joining the zam FC? I seriously doubt that.

In my case theres an RP community on Gilgamesh.. sure i could very easily create on any server now then transfer whenever character transfer hits, however i planned to RP as a lost newbie, you learns and grows... now with how easy/fast it is to level on this game i might be a level 50 in multiple classes by the time world transfer comes out (which would be sad if i could achieve that in this game considering i work 40 hours a week.) would be kinda hard to RP as a totally clueless/lost newbie when youre a level 50 battle hardened powerhouse/veteran wouldnt you say? lol
#13 Aug 27 2013 at 11:13 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
100 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
lol so youre saying if back when we were voting on the unofficial cst/est server and teh ZAM< server and you voted Gilgamesh (for example) Gilgamesh won the votes.. now you try to create a character on that server (the one you planned to join and voted on months ago). youd be completely fine with that and join a different server and miss out on joining the zam FC? I seriously doubt that.

In my case theres an RP community on Gilgamesh.. sure i could very easily create on any server now then transfer whenever character transfer hits, however i planned to RP as a lost newbie, you learns and grows... now with how easy/fast it is to level on this game i might be a level 50 in multiple classes by the time world transfer comes out (which would be sad if i could achieve that in this game considering i work 40 hours a week.) would be kinda hard to RP as a totally clueless/lost newbie when youre a level 50 battle hardened powerhouse/veteran wouldnt you say? lol


Its not a permanent restriction ... so I don't understand why you would be upset
#14 Aug 27 2013 at 11:19 AM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
cgmiller89 wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
lol so youre saying if back when we were voting on the unofficial cst/est server and teh ZAM< server and you voted Gilgamesh (for example) Gilgamesh won the votes.. now you try to create a character on that server (the one you planned to join and voted on months ago). youd be completely fine with that and join a different server and miss out on joining the zam FC? I seriously doubt that.

In my case theres an RP community on Gilgamesh.. sure i could very easily create on any server now then transfer whenever character transfer hits, however i planned to RP as a lost newbie, you learns and grows... now with how easy/fast it is to level on this game i might be a level 50 in multiple classes by the time world transfer comes out (which would be sad if i could achieve that in this game considering i work 40 hours a week.) would be kinda hard to RP as a totally clueless/lost newbie when youre a level 50 battle hardened powerhouse/veteran wouldnt you say? lol


Its not a permanent restriction ... so I don't understand why you would be upset




read last paragraph.

the only wY TO "FIX" THAT PROBLEM WOULD BE HOLD OFF PLAYING UNTIL THE "CRISIS" IS AVERTED AND THE SERVER I WANT BECOMES UNLOCKED (opps had caps on) now that would be fine and dandy (i have 20+ other games i havent even played yet waiting would be extremely easy for me) except a family member took off the next two days from work (my normal off days) to play with me 24/7 those days (at least its paid off days) so now im kinda obligated to play with him the next two days otherwise those days he took off would be a waste and coulda been saved/used for something else lol. So yeah.
#15 Aug 27 2013 at 11:28 AM Rating: Good
****
5,745 posts
cgmiller89 wrote:
Its not a permanent restriction ... so I don't understand why you would be upset

Not being able to make your character on the server you want is a really big problem. It may not be permanent, but there isn't any indication as to when the restrictions will get lifted. Not everyone wants to temporarily play on a completely different server to pass the time with a disposable character. If you aren't willing to lose any progress on a temporary character, you're basically stuck not being able to play at all.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#16 Aug 27 2013 at 11:35 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
100 posts
svlyons wrote:
but there isn't any indication as to when the restrictions will get lifted. .



does this surprise you?
#17 Aug 27 2013 at 11:47 AM Rating: Good
****
5,745 posts
cgmiller89 wrote:
svlyons wrote:
but there isn't any indication as to when the restrictions will get lifted. .

does this surprise you?

Now you're being contrary just to be contrary.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#18 Aug 27 2013 at 11:48 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,658 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Valkayree wrote:
It was not a bad launch, but a bad early access.


Everyone is still getting the 1017 error with no queue though. Is today not launch day?


Not everyone because some cant even get that far because of the no service account issue.
Support on the phone is non existent unless you can stay on the phone a week.
Online support support wont get back to you for a week even if the site can actually stay up for a few minutes.
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#19 Aug 27 2013 at 11:51 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
51 posts
I'm going to have to agree with the people upset at SE because of this. Being told to wake up at 5 in the morning to log into your character, NEVER LOG OUT all day while at work just so you can come home and play for a few hours is a pretty big downfall. The only reason anyone is playing is because they are using this method. Give it time and more people that realize this will start doing this as well until it gets to the point where no one gets in until a maintenance happens. I suspect they would have one soon?

As for how long have the issues ever taken, I have never had an issue with WOW last longer than a day. But Blizzard has a ton of money to pour into any issue that ever arises with their games. The only time it is a continued issue is if you try to play their game with a bad net connection/dorm room connection. I've played dozen of free MMOs with only a few servers and even during their high capacity hours, people were usually playing just fine within a week. I will agree with the rest and say to give it a week but seeing the statement that we got from the past few days, I don't know what to expect.

As for this being the worst, I still wouldn't throw in the town and expect all doom and gloom from the game just because of this event. However I would suggest waiting before making any subs for the game. To those that keep saying this is a lot of complaining over nothing, I'm sorry but the company is already going to start losing money just because of this. I have a ton of friends that wanted to play but due to this event, they are just laughing and are happy to know they didn't waste their time and money on it. No one is going to want to sub for a game when they don't know if they will be allowed to play or not. So this is going to be a pretty bad business strange on SE's end if something isn't done to fix the publicity.

I really shouldn't keep posting on topics like these. Ah well. On a final note can everyone lower the amount of, 'This game is terrible' threads when we already have a lot of them? Just add to it there. It isn't that I don't agree what is going on is bad or anything but I do feel you are wasting your breath most of the time. At the very least you might want to light up SE members blogs with complaints or support tickets but doing it on ZAM isn't going to do much.

--Edit--
As for getting in touch with SE, have you done the online chat system? No other method will due I can tell you that right now. Way back during the FF11 bans I tried to make a phone call and they would just hang up on me wall calming saying 'please hold for a moment.' The only way to really fix the issue was to be using their chat system.

Edited, Aug 27th 2013 1:54pm by YamiLover
#20 Aug 27 2013 at 11:52 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
100 posts
svlyons wrote:
cgmiller89 wrote:
svlyons wrote:
but there isn't any indication as to when the restrictions will get lifted. .

does this surprise you?

Now you're being contrary just to be contrary.


not really. When has SE ever kept their players in the loop. Having played all of the previous online ff's, I can honestly say never. And none of the issues that have came up have lasted an unnecessary amount of time. They have been getting addressed pretty quickly in the grand scheme of things and maintenance, as much as we hate it, hasn't been that bad. So to say this is just to be contrary, is a little small minded of you.
#21 Aug 27 2013 at 12:12 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,218 posts
Valkayree wrote:
It was not a bad launch, but a bad early access.


A totally meaningless distinction. I'm not even sure why people act as if calling it "Early Access" changes the impact in any way.

1) The people in early access are those who pre ordered, AKA, the people who will drive the early success or failure of the game.
2) The game was "feature complete" and effectively launched in every single way.
3) The issues that plagued Early Access haven't actually been fixed in any way, they're just limiting populations drastically to compensate for the weak link in the system.

Trying to hand wave as if it some how "doesn't count" or something just makes you seem fanboyish. I'm not saying you are, that's just how it comes across.

And for what it's worth, the lack of a functional queue system and automatic log out on idle is seriously amateur and is adding to the problems. Maybe they had no way to truly understand that the instance/lobby/duty finder servers were going to collapse under a full load, but they should have definitely understood that queues and idle logout are very important features for launching an MMO.

Even if they launch more servers, until they have a working queue and idle logout system, you're going to have players logged in 24/7 just so they have a shot to play during prime time.

Edited, Aug 27th 2013 2:17pm by KarlHungis
#22 Aug 27 2013 at 12:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
132 posts
To answer the OP's actual question... Most MMOs considered to have bad launches had, well.. actually bad games. There was something gamebreaking and not just server congestion. Server congestion is typical at a major launch (or even a minor one sometimes) and although some companies handle it differently, the problems are usually cleared up within two weeks.
____________________________
Rayve Mendicant : Ultros
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
#23 Aug 27 2013 at 12:27 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
100 posts
KarlHungis wrote:
Valkayree wrote:
It was not a bad launch, but a bad early access.


A totally meaningless distinction. I'm not even sure why people act as if calling it "Early Access" changes the impact in any way.

1) The people in early access are those who pre ordered, AKA, the people who will drive the early success or failure of the game.
2) The game was "feature complete" and effectively launched in every single way.
3) The issues that plagued Early Access haven't actually been fixed in any way, they're just limiting populations drastically to compensate for the weak link in the system.

Trying to hand wave as if it some how "doesn't count" or something just makes you seem fanboyish. I'm not saying you are, that's just how it comes across.

And for what it's worth, the lack of a functional queue system and automatic log out on idle is seriously amateur and is adding to the problems. Maybe they had no way to truly understand that the instance/lobby/duty finder servers were going to collapse under a full load, but they should have definitely understood that queues and idle logout are very important features for launching an MMO.

Even if they launch more servers, until they have a working queue and idle logout system, you're going to have players logged in 24/7 just so they have a shot to play during prime time.

Edited, Aug 27th 2013 2:17pm by KarlHungis



Isn't there a queue ... they just have it restricted until they can correct the issue? Saying it is amateur is a little premature. They simply had to shut that feature off until they can correct the issue with the server. Better to have a few angry players who cant queue, vs a mass of upset players bc we go into another maintenance.
#24 Aug 27 2013 at 12:35 PM Rating: Decent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
A week from now the issue will be mostly resolved. A month from now we won't even be talking about this. A year from now, we won't even remember this was much of a problem.
#25 Aug 27 2013 at 12:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I had planned to have three characters on three different servers anyway.

So, I just try each one until I get logged in on one of 'em.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#26 Aug 27 2013 at 12:40 PM Rating: Decent
*
85 posts
YamiLover wrote:
I'm going to have to agree with the people upset at SE because of this. Being told to wake up at 5 in the morning to log into your character, NEVER LOG OUT all day while at work just so you can come home and play for a few hours is a pretty big downfall. The only reason anyone is playing is because they are using this method. Give it time and more people that realize this will start doing this as well until it gets to the point where no one gets in until a maintenance happens. I suspect they would have one soon?

As for how long have the issues ever taken, I have never had an issue with WOW last longer than a day. But Blizzard has a ton of money to pour into any issue that ever arises with their games. The only time it is a continued issue is if you try to play their game with a bad net connection/dorm room connection. I've played dozen of free MMOs with only a few servers and even during their high capacity hours, people were usually playing just fine within a week. I will agree with the rest and say to give it a week but seeing the statement that we got from the past few days, I don't know what to expect.

As for this being the worst, I still wouldn't throw in the town and expect all doom and gloom from the game just because of this event. However I would suggest waiting before making any subs for the game. To those that keep saying this is a lot of complaining over nothing, I'm sorry but the company is already going to start losing money just because of this. I have a ton of friends that wanted to play but due to this event, they are just laughing and are happy to know they didn't waste their time and money on it. No one is going to want to sub for a game when they don't know if they will be allowed to play or not. So this is going to be a pretty bad business strange on SE's end if something isn't done to fix the publicity.

I really shouldn't keep posting on topics like these. Ah well. On a final note can everyone lower the amount of, 'This game is terrible' threads when we already have a lot of them? Just add to it there. It isn't that I don't agree what is going on is bad or anything but I do feel you are wasting your breath most of the time. At the very least you might want to light up SE members blogs with complaints or support tickets but doing it on ZAM isn't going to do much.

--Edit--
As for getting in touch with SE, have you done the online chat system? No other method will due I can tell you that right now. Way back during the FF11 bans I tried to make a phone call and they would just hang up on me wall calming saying 'please hold for a moment.' The only way to really fix the issue was to be using their chat system.

Edited, Aug 27th 2013 1:54pm by YamiLover


The method everyone is using by staying logged in helps to make the issue even worse. You would think by now SE would have put in a timer for inactivity that boots you. They should do that immediately.
#27 Aug 27 2013 at 12:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,673 posts
#28 Aug 27 2013 at 1:02 PM Rating: Excellent
**
773 posts
I remember AION early access rather vividly. It was very close to unplayable due to the lag and the "rubberbanding" where you would move 20 spaces and suddenly you were back where you started. At least when I've got on to 14 I could play it.
____________________________
"We apologize for the inconvenience"
- SE Cruciatus Curse




#29 Aug 27 2013 at 1:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
102 posts
AHHHHHHHH How are full servedrs a bad launch? so far the only issue is the servers are full. I have yet glitched through the map, glitched a mob, had shutter speed lag, froze, rubberband, load resulting in death, or any other typical new game issue. Just the servers are full. Which i see as a good thing, as for mnths people said no one would play ffxiv for reason xyz.
#30 Aug 27 2013 at 1:32 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
cgmiller89 wrote:
KarlHungis wrote:
Valkayree wrote:
It was not a bad launch, but a bad early access.


A totally meaningless distinction. I'm not even sure why people act as if calling it "Early Access" changes the impact in any way.

1) The people in early access are those who pre ordered, AKA, the people who will drive the early success or failure of the game.
2) The game was "feature complete" and effectively launched in every single way.
3) The issues that plagued Early Access haven't actually been fixed in any way, they're just limiting populations drastically to compensate for the weak link in the system.

Trying to hand wave as if it some how "doesn't count" or something just makes you seem fanboyish. I'm not saying you are, that's just how it comes across.

And for what it's worth, the lack of a functional queue system and automatic log out on idle is seriously amateur and is adding to the problems. Maybe they had no way to truly understand that the instance/lobby/duty finder servers were going to collapse under a full load, but they should have definitely understood that queues and idle logout are very important features for launching an MMO.

Even if they launch more servers, until they have a working queue and idle logout system, you're going to have players logged in 24/7 just so they have a shot to play during prime time.

Edited, Aug 27th 2013 2:17pm by KarlHungis

Isn't there a queue ...


There's a queue that doesn't work. You get put into a "queue" of 30 people, and 10 seconds later you log into the game or you get 1017 errors. In other words, it's not actually putting people in first in, first out queue, the client just think it is.
Quote:
they just have it restricted until they can correct the issue? Saying it is amateur is a little premature.


I'm not sure if you just don't understand what the word "queue" means, but it's like standing in line at the movie theater. If a bunch of people show up at the same time, they get put in order of arrival, and they file in only as capacity allows. The point though is that you don't lose your place. You might have to wait hours, but as long as you wait hours, you'll get in before the guy who showed up after you.

This is a basic feature that all MMOs have, in order to deal with the inevitable fact that some times you have more people trying to log onto a server than the server can handle. For example, when the game is launching, that is a time when any MMO typically needs queues to handle the load. To lack this feature is to lack a feature of every other AAA MMO, and a feature which exists in those MMOs for a **** good reason supported by decades (or centuries if you don't limit to MMOs) of human experience.

There's nothing "premature" about expecting such a feature, because the feature should have been in the game at the start of beta, and if it were, and it worked properly, there would be fewer problems now. The same thing with an idle log out. Not only does such a feature prevent people from camping on the server 24/7 and taking up a spot that some one else would actually use, but it actually helps players who become desynced from the server. Some of the problems people had in P4 were because they were disconnected from the game, but the server didn't know they were disconnected, just thought they were "idle."

If they had an idle log out, then the servers would have simply cleared them after some period of time (say, 20 minutes).

If they'd had this feature throughout beta then they wouldn't have gotten such a false sense of how many players their servers can handle, because they wouldn't have had so many idle players inflating server numbers, too. Again, a basic feature of MMOs for very good reason, that FFXIV just doesn't have.

Quote:

They simply had to shut that feature off until they can correct the issue with the server. Better to have a few angry players who cant queue, vs a mass of upset players bc we go into another maintenance.


Again, I'm not sure if you just don't understand what the word "queue" means, but this is wrong. Shutting off queues in order to alleviate the pressure of overcrowding would be like punching a huge hole in the side of your boat in order to alleviate leaking. It's the exact opposite of what you want to be doing.

If your queue system doesn't work any time you're at high capacity then your queue system doesn't work, period.

Edited, Aug 27th 2013 3:33pm by KarlHungis

Edited, Aug 27th 2013 3:36pm by KarlHungis
____________________________
"I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Gen. Jack D. Ripper, General, USAF
#31 Aug 27 2013 at 1:41 PM Rating: Default
***
1,218 posts
Xoie wrote:
A week from now the issue will be mostly resolved.


You actually have no idea if that's true. Unless you are part of the S-E server team, you're 100% speculating.

You have no idea when they're going to have sufficient capacity to handle the load.

It's good to be positive, but please don't state your hopes as if they are a fact.
#32 Aug 27 2013 at 1:46 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
I don't know if you guys have had this problem or even if this that right place to post ( please don't kill me if its not, I'm new) but I have been unable to download the game at all, I've had early access and still keep getting error 11003, 20403, "Unable to Download Patch Files" , I've done all of the suggestions like Disable AV, to My documents folder, just to name a few and I still get nothing, I put a ticket on Sunday but still nothing from SE. Any suggestions?
#33 Aug 27 2013 at 2:42 PM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
KarlHungis wrote:
Xoie wrote:
A week from now the issue will be mostly resolved.


You actually have no idea if that's true. Unless you are part of the S-E server team, you're 100% speculating.

You have no idea when they're going to have sufficient capacity to handle the load.

It's good to be positive, but please don't state your hopes as if they are a fact.


This isn't my first MMO launch. I'm speaking from experience. Once the rush dies down and they add more capacity this won't be a problem and we'll be embarrassed anyone made such a big deal out of it.
#34 Aug 27 2013 at 2:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
21 posts
I'm not that worried. Annoyed in the short term, yes. Glad that the likelihood of dead servers later is being reduced, yes.

Though I do have to say that queue's can be broken. Most only have a certain allowance for number of users before it begins to break. Is their queue too small? Perhaps, probably yes.

Edited, Aug 27th 2013 4:46pm by Umboz
#35 Aug 27 2013 at 3:09 PM Rating: Default
***
1,218 posts
Xoie wrote:
KarlHungis wrote:
Xoie wrote:
A week from now the issue will be mostly resolved.


You actually have no idea if that's true. Unless you are part of the S-E server team, you're 100% speculating.

You have no idea when they're going to have sufficient capacity to handle the load.

It's good to be positive, but please don't state your hopes as if they are a fact.


This isn't my first MMO launch. I'm speaking from experience. Once the rush dies down and they add more capacity this won't be a problem and we'll be embarrassed anyone made such a big deal out of it.


You may have plenty of experience with mmos (so do I, so do many other posters here) but what you're speaking from is your rear *******.

Any one can predict that eventually we won't care about the issue, but eventually we'll all be dead. Eventually covers a lot of ground. Specific claims that it will be fixed in a week are pure speculation. Blizzard needed months to get proper server capacity for WoW, at launch and again when Burning Crusade launched. It's not easy to just whistle up some servers, and SE has given no indication so far that servers are even on order much less close to being deployed, nor that they are ready to rapidly move tens or hundreds of thousands of characters when they have spare capacity.

In the meantime square isn't even showing that they have a strong grasp on how to minimize impact on the customer through working queues and such, so why would anyone believe they're ahead of the game any place else?
#36 Aug 27 2013 at 4:51 PM Rating: Decent
11 posts
I didn't had EA, and from all i read about it i was really disturbed at what might happen today, now at the end of the day i can say that it was a almost perfect play day hehhe only had 1 issue at 16h gmt wit the logging served going down for 15 mins, everything was perfect besides that. SE regained its good standing on my books.
#37 Aug 27 2013 at 4:57 PM Rating: Decent
*
212 posts
At this point there are still a few MMOs that have rockier starts.

Anarchy Online, Age of Conan.. heck anything Failcom does is usually garbage.

But as far as other "Tier 1" MMO released go, SE is sprinting to the top 5 in poorly executed launches.

____________________________
MUTED - 24 Hour
#38 Aug 27 2013 at 4:59 PM Rating: Decent
32 posts
as bummed as i am that i cant play, ive played through many launches and alot of very good mmo's have capacity issues at first. they work themselves out and everyone promptly forgets about it.

Im just glad ffxiv has gotten such a large reception!
#39 Aug 27 2013 at 5:03 PM Rating: Default
Valkayree wrote:
It was not a bad launch, but a bad early access.


No, it is still a bad launch, server wise that is. I along with many, many others are getting the 1017 error still after 3 days. The worst part is by the looks of Square Enix's website that they are okay with how things are progressing so far. I would like to see something along the lines of them being aware that 1017 is still a major problem, and they are not okay with limiting log ins to solve the instance problem. The last three updates only mentioned character creation, to me at least it seems like they think 1017 is solved for the most part or something...

As for game-play it is great. I just wish we could experience it without being forced to keep our computers on all night.

Edited, Aug 27th 2013 7:05pm by Takaiana
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 73 All times are in CST
xizro, Anonymous Guests (72)