Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Share Your Experiences with your Chocobo CompanionFollow

#1 Aug 28 2013 at 5:59 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
787 posts
So far I'm liking the Chocobo Companion. The only down side is that I can't use another mount type while it's out so I have to sprint around a lot. I was hoping to see if other players can share their Chocobo Companion experiences and playing tips? I also had a few questions and I was hoping to find some answers for.

1. Can we respec the Chocobo ability points? After achieving rank-2, I allocated 1 point to defense, attack, and healing stances. Now I'm wondering if I gimped my pet out making it difficult to progress through a single stance? Since I'm leveling my CNJ/WHM, I usually go with the attack stance since it makes the fights go so much quicker.

2. Is all the Chocobo barding slots just for decoration? So far I've currently tried the default barding and the one that came with early release. I also saw a saddle being sold the in the Free Company quartermaster. Is this all for just looks or will there be craftable or dropped sets which can enhance your Chocobo?

3. What is the best way to level your Chocobo? Currently my Chocobo is Rank-3.5 and it really puzzles me in how to level my sidekick. The rank XP bar didn't move after our group defeated the Cancer FATE which awarded us 20k XP. I was hoping to see it move up a little. Whenever I have to summon my companion, I try to use it as much as possible before it expires. I'm going with letting the Chocobo get the killing blow and let it do 40% of the damage. I have no clue if this is the right thing to do, but it let's me chain pull non-stop and I can cure both of us or sleep a mob if things get too hairy. Also another theory is that he Chocobo might get more XP if fighting quest or FATE mobs. Anyone else want to share their observations, opinions or theories?

4. Is there an actual Attack command or Guard me? I can't figure this out but it seems that I can only get my companion to attack once it aggros on my target. My usual routine is to drop Stone-II a few times ending with a Aero to DoT it up. My companion will start running to attack after the first spell hit. Then I start pulling the next mob. It's real annoying watching my companion stand around while I'm casting a long induction attack spell. I wish I can just send it off to attack. I guess I can tag the mob with a instant cast DoT but I wish there was another way.

5. Are Gyshal Greens harvestable? If so, where and rank node?

6. Does your Chocobo Companion sometimes stops fighting? I find this highly annoying and I've tried issuing 'follow' then 'attack stance' to try to shake it out of it's rest stance. I found that my companion has a high chance of doing this whenever I use any of my crowd control abilities. The Aqau blast will always cause this. My CNJ sleep spell will sometimes pull my pet out of combat even when I'm casting on a different mob. Also if I engaging a pack of three mobs, if I sleep the first mob, then my companion will not fight until the first mob is dead. Pretty annoying.


Just my goofy suggestion, but I would like to see the Gathering profession be able to use their Chocobo with their tasks. Like while you're mining, it has a chance to detect and gather up some items that only a Chocobo can dig up, fish up, pluck from a tree.
#2 Aug 28 2013 at 7:29 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
392 posts
Bump as I would also like to find out more about our fine feathered companions.

I just recieved my whistle and have to head to the camp to use him in battle. I was able to watch the better-half use her chocobo a little last night. Was really nice looking, can't wait to try mine out.

Speaking of which what's your Chocobo's name? Mine is "Irezumi" and the better-half's is "Hiro"

rubina wrote:

Just my goofy suggestion, but I would like to see the Gathering profession be able to use their Chocobo with their tasks. Like while you're mining, it has a chance to detect and gather up some items that only a Chocobo can dig up, fish up, pluck from a tree.


I do like this idea.

Edited, Aug 28th 2013 9:33am by RyanSquires
____________________________
"You are what you are on paper."
-
Avirex Idyll - Faerie Server
#3 Aug 28 2013 at 12:39 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
787 posts
I'm surprised that there isn't more interest in this. :(
#4 Aug 28 2013 at 1:09 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
rubina wrote:
I'm surprised that there isn't more interest in this. :(


I just opened the Grand Company quests before bed last night... so I don't quite have one yet.

Almost!

How many seals do I need to get it?
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#5 Aug 28 2013 at 1:19 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
787 posts
Hairspray wrote:
rubina wrote:
I'm surprised that there isn't more interest in this. :(


I just opened the Grand Company quests before bed last night... so I don't quite have one yet.
Almost!
How many seals do I need to get it?


You need 2k seals. We ran around from Fate to Fate to collect ours. It didn't take very long. You can also hand in certain crafted items & gathered goods to one of your Grand Company NPCs for some seals. Once you unlock your Grand Company, you should also see a new Grand Company option in your Hunting Logs. Instead of granting you XP, it'll reward you with GC seals.
#6 Aug 28 2013 at 1:24 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
392 posts
I gathered the seals doing the same 2 levequest outside Gridania. Didn't take very long at all.
____________________________
"You are what you are on paper."
-
Avirex Idyll - Faerie Server
#7 Aug 28 2013 at 1:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
Cool, I should have the chocobo soon... looks like I won't be logging in tonight... RL > Game - maybe later this week then.
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#8 Aug 28 2013 at 1:32 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
But unlocking the ability to have and ride the chocobo is different than being able to call it into battle, am I correct? You need gysahl greens to summon it, but do you have to unlock that feature as well? I have never fought alongside my chocobo.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#9 Aug 28 2013 at 2:10 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
787 posts
Valkayree wrote:
But unlocking the ability to have and ride the chocobo is different than being able to call it into battle, am I correct? You need gysahl greens to summon it, but do you have to unlock that feature as well? I have never fought alongside my chocobo.


Yes they are two different unlocks. I do believe that you need your Chocobo mount unlocked before you can unlock it as your companion. All your mounts are just a click away with your designated mount's summon. You only need the greens to summon your Chocobo companion.
#10 Sep 01 2013 at 5:38 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
787 posts
Well I got my Chocobo companion to Rank-4 today. The only way that I found to make it level is by chaining mobs which were +1/+2/+3 in level to me. I can usually get chain #5 during the farming. Your Chocobo companion doesn't appear to get XP from Fates or Quest turn ins. The design behind the whole Chocobo companion would be perfect if there were no Fates in the game. No one will be grinding their way to multiple 50s by justing farming mobs.
#11 Sep 01 2013 at 6:05 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
1. Currently, no. Rank 10 is maximum, so you can only master one skill tree.
2. Yes, decoration only.
3. Kill mobs your level, lots of mobs. Chocobo only get EXP from kill you claim.
4. No. Healer Stance stop the Chocobo fighting altogether and make it heal you only.
5. No. It's pretty cheap (5 gil?) from NPC at 3 main cities.
6. No idea. Follow and Healer Stance make chocobo stop fighting though.
____________________________




#12 Sep 02 2013 at 6:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
599 posts
I shared my experiences with my chocobo companion. He seemed disinterested and all he had to say was "kweh." Ignorant feathered little *****.
#13 Sep 02 2013 at 9:19 AM Rating: Decent
12 posts
I'm not sure which way to spec him. Is he a good healer? My main is a warrior btw. Is better to duel spec him.. a little heals..some dps? i don't need his tank spec. I just got mine and used the first points for healer. Just not sure what's best.
____________________________
Lyonheart ( NE Hunter, Hyjal )
#14 Sep 02 2013 at 9:54 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
588 posts
rubina wrote:
So far I'm liking the Chocobo Companion. The only down side is that I can't use another mount type while it's out so I have to sprint around a lot. I was hoping to see if other players can share their Chocobo Companion experiences and playing tips? I also had a few questions and I was hoping to find some answers for.

1. Can we respec the Chocobo ability points? After achieving rank-2, I allocated 1 point to defense, attack, and healing stances. Now I'm wondering if I gimped my pet out making it difficult to progress through a single stance? Since I'm leveling my CNJ/WHM, I usually go with the attack stance since it makes the fights go so much quicker.

2. Is all the Chocobo barding slots just for decoration? So far I've currently tried the default barding and the one that came with early release. I also saw a saddle being sold the in the Free Company quartermaster. Is this all for just looks or will there be craftable or dropped sets which can enhance your Chocobo?

3. What is the best way to level your Chocobo? Currently my Chocobo is Rank-3.5 and it really puzzles me in how to level my sidekick. The rank XP bar didn't move after our group defeated the Cancer FATE which awarded us 20k XP. I was hoping to see it move up a little. Whenever I have to summon my companion, I try to use it as much as possible before it expires. I'm going with letting the Chocobo get the killing blow and let it do 40% of the damage. I have no clue if this is the right thing to do, but it let's me chain pull non-stop and I can cure both of us or sleep a mob if things get too hairy. Also another theory is that he Chocobo might get more XP if fighting quest or FATE mobs. Anyone else want to share their observations, opinions or theories?

4. Is there an actual Attack command or Guard me? I can't figure this out but it seems that I can only get my companion to attack once it aggros on my target. My usual routine is to drop Stone-II a few times ending with a Aero to DoT it up. My companion will start running to attack after the first spell hit. Then I start pulling the next mob. It's real annoying watching my companion stand around while I'm casting a long induction attack spell. I wish I can just send it off to attack. I guess I can tag the mob with a instant cast DoT but I wish there was another way.

5. Are Gyshal Greens harvestable? If so, where and rank node?

6. Does your Chocobo Companion sometimes stops fighting? I find this highly annoying and I've tried issuing 'follow' then 'attack stance' to try to shake it out of it's rest stance. I found that my companion has a high chance of doing this whenever I use any of my crowd control abilities. The Aqau blast will always cause this. My CNJ sleep spell will sometimes pull my pet out of combat even when I'm casting on a different mob. Also if I engaging a pack of three mobs, if I sleep the first mob, then my companion will not fight until the first mob is dead. Pretty annoying.


Just my goofy suggestion, but I would like to see the Gathering profession be able to use their Chocobo with their tasks. Like while you're mining, it has a chance to detect and gather up some items that only a Chocobo can dig up, fish up, pluck from a tree.


1. Some one verify. I was under the impression you can cap all 3 stances so re-spec is irrelevant.
2. Chocobo barding is decorative.
3. The best way I have found is simply questing with him out. He gains EXP pretty fast in normal battles. Can't confirm that FATE and quests don't give EXP.
4. No.
5. Yes. Can't confirm locations.
6. I have never experienced this.
____________________________



Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 82 All times are in CST
Callinon, Lyrailis, squiress, Anonymous Guests (79)