Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Why so few recipes? What to do with fish?Follow

#1 Aug 28 2013 at 10:47 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Is anyone else concerned by how few things that get fished up are actually in any recipes? Now, I haven't done fisher specific quests or anything so maybe they get used that way, but it seems a little bogus that pretty much everything from mining and botany is useful, whereas most fish are useless - and the NPC rates are total garbage. I get that they don't want fishing bots to npc masses of stuff to make gil but, couldn't they at least add more fish to recipes?

Am I missing something? Are they worth anything? I mean at the very least they could have them turn into crystals like they did before.

Edited, Aug 28th 2013 9:47am by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#2 Aug 28 2013 at 11:03 AM Rating: Good
45 posts
Seems they went the collectable route (gotta catch them all!), they added a ton of new fish. I think the number of fish->food options are the same from 1.0.

Losing crystals was a big loss though. I'm really curious how that is going to affect crystal prices soon...once people run out of thier 1.0 stash :)
____________________________
<img src="http://xivpads.com/i/sigs/7914/xivpads.png">
#3 Aug 28 2013 at 11:24 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
I like that there are lots of fish - I dislike that they are largely worthless. You can't even craft them into a plaque to put on your wall... the collectable thing doesn't really help in my opinion because you can't show them off (unlike say, minions, which you can show off)

It would be neat if you could trade them in for points with an NPC to trade for stuff (like unique minions/mounts etc) or if they had fishing contests with gear for prizes or something to make it seem a bit less pointless.

Don't get me wrong I will still fish, it is just too bad they seem to be trying to make it the least profitable class.

Edited, Aug 28th 2013 10:37am by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#4 Aug 28 2013 at 11:49 AM Rating: Excellent
45 posts
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
I like that there are lots of fish - I dislike that they are largely worthless. You can't even craft them into a plaque to put on your wall... the collectable thing doesn't really help in my opinion because you can't show them off (unlike say, minions, which you can show off)

It would be neat if you could trade them in for points with an NPC to trade for stuff (like unique minions/mounts etc) or if they had fishing contests with gear for prizes or something to make it seem a bit less pointless.
Edited, Aug 28th 2013 10:37am by Olorinus


Housing trophies would be neat (especially given the record book fisher's have). And I've heard there's at least 1 pet you can fish up...
____________________________
<img src="http://xivpads.com/i/sigs/7914/xivpads.png">
#5 Aug 28 2013 at 12:48 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
16 posts
I was looking forward to getting a quest sorta like the lu sheng quest from xi.
I guess I'll just keep leveling and hope to see if they come up with one.
#6 Aug 28 2013 at 3:48 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
132 posts
furios, I believe there is a special rod for completing the fishing achievements.
____________________________
Rayve Mendicant : Ultros
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
#7 Aug 28 2013 at 5:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
16 posts
purethulium wrote:
furios, I believe there is a special rod for completing the fishing achievements.


oh really!!!!
do tell, do tell!!
#8 Aug 28 2013 at 5:45 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
furiosmonk wrote:
purethulium wrote:
furios, I believe there is a special rod for completing the fishing achievements.


oh really!!!!
do tell, do tell!!


There a tool for each DoH/DoL from Achievement (Luminary). Basically you need to complete all the Gather/Craft X item of each tier (and of each location for Gatherers).

Can you still sell fish to NPC for gil?

Edited, Aug 28th 2013 7:46pm by Khornette
____________________________




#9 Aug 29 2013 at 12:35 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
You can but they seem to be worth like 5 gil or less. When you consider there are baits like cost like 400 each, it is a little bizarre.

I don't even need to make gobs of money off of fisher, it is more that i would like to do something more interesting with my fish than straight up npcing them. Also, not losing money on a gathering class would also be nice, Anyway, it is fun and relaxing for now, but I am hopeful they will flesh out the system a bit more so stuff feels less useless.


Edited, Aug 28th 2013 11:40pm by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#10 Sep 02 2013 at 3:55 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
16 posts
So what are you guys doing with your fish? Are you keeping them incase they come out with some sort use for them. Or are you just npc'ing them for rubbish Gil?
#11 Sep 02 2013 at 4:27 AM Rating: Decent
*
228 posts
Started send fishing yesterday, it's fast lvl from 35-40. Around 2-3k XP per fish and 10-16k XP for HQ. lowest vendor price for these is 10 Gil the highest is 22 Gil. Anyway. Look at your Grand company supply missions. 10 Sand Bream for 182 Seals if I recall. So check there before you vendor. It's a daily repeating thing so it most likely cycles the fish you need.
____________________________
oleum
Old Nick Sargantanas
Merlon Wytarensyn - not there yet but probably Balmung
#12 Sep 03 2013 at 12:48 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,377 posts
Aren't the HQ fish used for bait later o something? I've been saving them, and the crafting mat ones.
____________________________
"The game is fun as **** to me and I don't need epeen DPS parsers to feel like a bad ****. " ~Curt Schilling (A.K.A Wyndwraith)
#13 Sep 03 2013 at 1:02 PM Rating: Good
45 posts
Magilicotti wrote:
Aren't the HQ fish used for bait later o something? I've been saving them, and the crafting mat ones.


You can "Mooch" certain HQ fish (depends on the hole) to catch a larger fish. However, that HQ fish must be still "on the line" (it's like a combo). So you can't save your HQ's and Mooch later.

Hit my first double Mooch last night...but the fish was too big for me to reel in.
____________________________
<img src="http://xivpads.com/i/sigs/7914/xivpads.png">
#14 Sep 03 2013 at 4:06 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
92 posts
AragalAyreth wrote:
Magilicotti wrote:
Aren't the HQ fish used for bait later o something? I've been saving them, and the crafting mat ones.


You can "Mooch" certain HQ fish (depends on the hole) to catch a larger fish. However, that HQ fish must be still "on the line" (it's like a combo). So you can't save your HQ's and Mooch later.

Hit my first double Mooch last night...but the fish was too big for me to reel in.


"It was _THIS BIG_"... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight XD
____________________________
-[ If it doesn't hurt, you're not doing it right ]-
#15 Sep 03 2013 at 5:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
26 posts
Maybe they'll do contests for the biggest of certain fish on a day or gutting fish for treasure like in 11?
#16 Sep 03 2013 at 8:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
92 posts
My wish is for the Personal Records to actually be reset every week or something, and they would be listed on the website for whoever catches the biggest fish on one day of the week, like a friday/saturday and then they would be reset just before the "fishing tournament" begins.

You would have your entries in 3 categories or something like that, rivers, coastline, desert or cloud ... ya... I think it'd be awesome. Then they could have like a per-server record of a weekly winners, with total number of tournament wins tallied over the course of time MUAHAhahaha :D :D
____________________________
-[ If it doesn't hurt, you're not doing it right ]-
#17 Sep 04 2013 at 8:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
You can but they seem to be worth like 5 gil or less. When you consider there are baits like cost like 400 each, it is a little bizarre.


Bit of an exaggeration here, Sand Leeches are 8g each and catch fish worth 22+ each. Not great money, but you are definitely catching enough to get your money back anyway.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#18 Sep 04 2013 at 10:15 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Other fishes required for end-game dishes could also be sold for thousands of gil each, especially those for Control Dishes.
____________________________




#19 Sep 24 2013 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Give it time. SE didn't want to make it too easy for the gil sellers right out of the gates. They will probably add value to fishing, but they will do it in more creative ways than just bumping up the npc sale price.

I personally want something like the fish gutting quest with chances at getting rare/nice items. I loved fishing up the treasure maps and doing the lvl 20 capped battles. I also enjoyed working on my Eibesu.

There should always be something out there that is insanely difficult to achieve so that you never get bored or run out of goals. And of course you need a way to show off your achievement, like gear/minion/etc.

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)