Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Any tips on leveling ...Follow

#1 Aug 29 2013 at 12:48 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
100 posts
My short term goal is to be a WHM
Long term, I want every job to at least 30

I had to reroll on a different server and am wondering what path would get me there fastest.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the experience of taking my time thru the game. But right now, I just want to get WHM unlocked and it seems to be going painfully slow. especially the weakling ACN which (imo) is terribly under powered.

any advice on the quickest route and specifics would be greatly appreciated.
#2 Aug 29 2013 at 1:33 AM Rating: Good
**
923 posts
Just follow your quest lines, queue up for all guildhests and dungeons and make sure you complete your hunting logs and it goes very fast.
#3 Aug 29 2013 at 9:33 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
53 posts
Today is Thursday. People who've played 'till Saturday, all problems included, are now in their high 40s or 50. That's 6 days, and realistically less than that. How much faster could you possibly want your first class to go? Yeah, the later classes are gonna suck to level but that first class is waaaaaaaaaaay too quick too level.
#4 Aug 29 2013 at 9:47 AM Rating: Good
Zeenoff wrote:
Today is Thursday. People who've played 'till Saturday, all problems included, are now in their high 40s or 50. That's 6 days, and realistically less than that. How much faster could you possibly want your first class to go? Yeah, the later classes are gonna suck to level but that first class is waaaaaaaaaaay too quick too level.


After 3 class/jobs it could become a pain. I'm hoping that is were group slaughtering helps/comes into play.

I want to be a DRG, so I looked into what is needed. Lancer 30 and Marauder 15. I started as a Maraduer, and had to quest until I was sent off to the other 2 cities (about lv16-17 for me). Changed to Lancer and began to quest in that town, and will do so up til I can unlock Dragoon. I then plan to move over to the 3rd town and start theirs. Doing so lets me have all them boring fetch quests that give exp. I think once DRG is up to 15, is when I'll continue the story mode.

Story quest, hunt log (unless I just see it wrong, I can't do other area's Hunt logs on a diff class, not of that town?), Class quest, FATEs, and the BattleLeve have helped with leveling at a somewhat decent speed.
I'm not a fan of the guildhests, only like 600-700exp per run (atm, I only have 2 unlocked) with a long wait...bah.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a |
#5 Aug 29 2013 at 9:50 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
26 posts
Trust me when i say this - do the story quests. you're going to want your retainer and your chocobo. you can use the chocobo on any job regardless of level when you get it and will make lvl'ing your drg a million times easier and faster. once you get your chocobo the next quest isn't until level 44 (for the GC quests that is) anyhow so really you're not using up a lot of xp and can save the rest of the story quests for drg.
#6 Aug 29 2013 at 9:58 AM Rating: Excellent
****
5,745 posts
cgmiller89 wrote:
My short term goal is to be a WHM
Long term, I want every job to at least 30

I had to reroll on a different server and am wondering what path would get me there fastest.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the experience of taking my time thru the game. But right now, I just want to get WHM unlocked and it seems to be going painfully slow. especially the weakling ACN which (imo) is terribly under powered.

any advice on the quickest route and specifics would be greatly appreciated.

If you find leveling ACN to be painful, try leveling CNJ all the way to 30 first before touching ACN. You get an exp bonus when leveling a class that's not your highest level, and the size of the bonus is based on the difference in levels between your highest class and the one you are leveling. So having CNJ at 30 will potentially give you the biggest bonus for leveling ACN (assuming that the bonus doesn't cap at some difference in levels lower than 30).

Also, you get a significant bonus the first time you complete a Guildhest. So if you can get away with, you might want to avoid doing the lvl 10 Guildhests (which would also block progress to attempt higher level ones) on CNJ and do them the first time on ACN.

I started out as THM, and did all of the Ul'dah quests on that class. Then I leveled CNJ so I could cross class abilities. With just the Gridania quests, rested exp bonus and a few FATEs, I got up to lvl 8 or 9 without needing to do any Levequests. I think I had to do about 5 Levequests to get to lvl 10, which unlocked a few more quests. So even if you don't want to wait until CNJ 30 to either level ACN or to do Guildhests, the first 10 levels should go pretty quickly. You could even do something like the following:
- level CNJ to 15 using Gridania quests and main storyline
- after getting Airship access, unlock ACN
- level ACN using Limsa Lominsa quests to level 10
- do the level 10 Guildhests as ACN to take advantage of the first time clear bonus
- go back to CNJ (now you can do the lvl 15+ Guildhests on CNJ)
- finish up ACN to 15 whenever you have the Guildleve allowances for it
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#7 Aug 29 2013 at 10:17 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
26 posts
svlyons wrote:
My short term goal is to be a WHM

- level CNJ to 15 using Gridania quests and main storyline
- after getting Airship access, unlock ACN
- level ACN using Limsa Lominsa quests to level 10
- do the level 10 Guildhests as ACN to take advantage of the first time clear bonus
- go back to CNJ (now you can do the lvl 15+ Guildhests on CNJ)
- finish up ACN to 15 whenever you have the Guildleve allowances for it


This. Perfect advice imo.

source: 23 thm / 15 acn and i did the same thing

Edited, Aug 29th 2013 12:17pm by Taisae

Edited, Aug 29th 2013 12:18pm by Taisae
#8 Aug 29 2013 at 10:30 AM Rating: Good
Taisae wrote:
Trust me when i say this - do the story quests. you're going to want your retainer and your chocobo. you can use the chocobo on any job regardless of level when you get it and will make lvl'ing your drg a million times easier and faster. once you get your chocobo the next quest isn't until level 44 (for the GC quests that is) anyhow so really you're not using up a lot of xp and can save the rest of the story quests for drg.


Then maybe ill resume it with Lancer, due to having to level it to 30 anways. Goal for today/night is get it to 15+..should not be hard. im already 13.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a |
#9 Aug 29 2013 at 10:30 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
Forgive my newb question :). I am new to the Final Fantasy World and I keep seeing all of these class abbreviations. Is there a list or guide anywhere that explains it? I know CNJ is Conjurer which is my main, but I have a feeling there is more to this then the initial main class we begin with.
#10 Aug 29 2013 at 10:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
**
448 posts
MI1675 wrote:
Forgive my newb question :). I am new to the Final Fantasy World and I keep seeing all of these class abbreviations. Is there a list or guide anywhere that explains it? I know CNJ is Conjurer which is my main, but I have a feeling there is more to this then the initial main class we begin with.


Grid
CNJ - conjuror
LNC - lancer
ARC - archer

Limsa
MRD - marauder
ACN - arcanist

Uld
GLA - gladiator
THM - thaumaturge
PGL - pugilist

edit: fixed abbrevs. and note, I didn't include the JOBS...just classes because, well, classes. However, new FF people won't know the FFXI abbrevs so... see below this post from Taisae for those. Thanks all.


Edited, Aug 29th 2013 1:42pm by Refews
____________________________
"We're getting close, real close. And now for some more bad news... Ready?"
-- Egg Shen
#11 Aug 29 2013 at 10:59 AM Rating: Excellent
****
5,745 posts
Refews wrote:
PUG - pugilist

While I've seen PUG a lot for Pugilist, the official abbreviation is PGL. Also, Gladiatior is GLA in the game, though I think some people still use GLD when posting.

Edited, Aug 29th 2013 12:59pm by svlyons
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#12 Aug 29 2013 at 11:21 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
26 posts
Refews wrote:
MI1675 wrote:
Forgive my newb question :). I am new to the Final Fantasy World and I keep seeing all of these class abbreviations. Is there a list or guide anywhere that explains it? I know CNJ is Conjurer which is my main, but I have a feeling there is more to this then the initial main class we begin with.


Grid
CNJ - conjuror
LNC - lancer
ARC - archer

Limsa
MRD - marauder
ACN - arcanist

Uld
GLD - gladiator
THM - thaumaturge
PUG - pugilist


Adding:

PLD - Paladin
DRG- Dragoon
MNK - Monk
BRD - Bard
WAR- Warrior
WHM - White Mage
BLM - Black Mage
SMN - Summoner
SCH - Scholar
#13 Aug 29 2013 at 11:32 AM Rating: Excellent
PGL is a lot better for pugilist

PUG = pick up group.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a |
#14 Aug 29 2013 at 5:38 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
197 posts
And please stick with ACH or equivalent for Archer - ARC can be Archer or Arcanist both.
#15 Aug 31 2013 at 1:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
26 posts
actually not true. in the game, arc is archer and acn is arcanist.
#16 Aug 31 2013 at 1:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
28 posts
Just have fun my friend no rush.
#17 Aug 31 2013 at 2:12 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
297 posts
cgmiller89 wrote:
My short term goal is to be a WHM
Long term, I want every job to at least 30

I had to reroll on a different server and am wondering what path would get me there fastest.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the experience of taking my time thru the game. But right now, I just want to get WHM unlocked and it seems to be going painfully slow. especially the weakling ACN which (imo) is terribly under powered.

any advice on the quickest route and specifics would be greatly appreciated.


I totally feel you about getting that first job/class that you wanted to play. I am working on making myself a PLD so I got my GLA to 30, running the starting city quests and all the quests that the story quests takes me to. I started working on CNJ and got to 15 today but I did find myself running out of quests to do. I resorted to guildhests which was great for the first time, but the redoing them the exp just didn't seem worth it. The leves were pretty tough on a CNJ, so I decided to not try those. I joined a FATE group and ran around chasing FATEs around, that was actually pretty annoying. I think the above advice is great, using each cities' starting quest to work on your secondary class.

I think when I start to work on my third and fourth class and so on, it'll be tougher. But then again, with the cross class abilities might make it easier.

Edited, Aug 31st 2013 4:13pm by klmbkvist
____________________________
FFXIV - Ultros - Kraken Club - Karma Zameleons
Autumn Klmbkvist

FFXI - Fenrir (Retired)
Osmund
Diogenes

"Move with confidence."
"Anything worth doing is never easy."
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 96 All times are in CST
Callinon, Lyrailis, Theonehio, Anonymous Guests (93)