Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Not impressedFollow

#52 Aug 30 2013 at 9:56 AM Rating: Good
****
4,134 posts
Serepticia wrote:
You couldn't even SOLO in FFXI (except as a hunter, and that was mind numbingly long, boring, and stupid.. not to mention weak).

Wat?
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#53 Aug 30 2013 at 10:04 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
I was really gearing up to dislike it but I've been very pleasantly surprised. That said, I love how casual the game feels to me so far... I dislike that I am forced to do the storyline cause I don't really want to have to level up (I already have a level 39 magic class), I just want to explore the world - and I am trapped in Limsa Limosa, but when I have the time to actually put towards it this weekend, I will grind through the gates so I can go fishing more!

Also, I really love the crafting system.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#54 Aug 30 2013 at 10:36 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
[/quote]

Sorry, but no.

The game has been out for less than a week so of course the OP experience is going to be limited. It's pretty clear the spoke about their own experience so 'baseless accusation' is pretty inaccurate. Blanket statements about something they haven't attempted? I don't see anywhere in that post where he states anything about part of the game he hasn't played. Trying to spin opinions someone makes about their own personal experience as 'baseless accusations' and 'blanket statements' isn't a good look.

This isn't a 'XIV sux lulz' post. You guys don't have to raise the shield every time someone says that they think it might not be for them. There are going to be people who are disappointed with this game despite the fact that you like it. There are going to be people who think the game is easy despite the fact that you might find it challenging. Different strokes for different folks.


Quote:
FFXIV is doomed to fit into the {Too Weak} category.


That is a baseless accusation (without a basis or foundation in fact). It's baseless because he's using experience from 1-15 to make an assessment of what he thinks the whole game will be. That's not a fact, it's an assumption he's making which is not at all the reality.

Quote:
the game is too easy


Quote:
This is why children shouldn't be allowed to join forums.


These are blanket statements. The second one is also a baseless accusation.

I'm fully aware people are allowed to dislike the game, however, complaining it's too easy when you've played 15 levels and have done approximately 1% of the content is silly.

Edited, Aug 30th 2013 12:37pm by BartelX
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#55 Aug 30 2013 at 10:47 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Quote:
Grouping remains the same, lackluster and un-inspired.


What group content are you referring to?
#56 Aug 30 2013 at 11:04 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,134 posts
BartelX wrote:
That is a baseless accusation (without a basis or foundation in fact). It's baseless because he's using experience from 1-15 to make an assessment of what he thinks the whole game will be. That's not a fact, it's an assumption he's making which is not at all the reality.


He never said or implied that the whole game will be like that. You're right about one thing though. What he states is not a fact, it's an opinion.

BartelX wrote:
AaronLamm wrote:
I don't know. A month free to make a full decision but my fear is that FFXIV is doomed to fit into the {Too Weak} category.

That is a baseless accusation (without a basis or foundation in fact). It's baseless because he's using experience from 1-15 to make an assessment of what he thinks the whole game will be. That's not a fact, it's an assumption he's making which is not at all the reality.


It's based on his current experience with the game. He's not saying that the rest of the game is as easy has what he's seen, just that he hasn't seen anything difficult yet. I mean, he starts that out saying "I don't know". Why would he say that? Because he hasn't progressed any further and he's not making a statement about the entire game.

Bart you have a bad habit of only seeing what you want to see and taking things out of context. It's easier to do when you don't actually apply everything that is said and just take parts of statements, but you should probably avoid doing that.

If you want to get him to clarify whether or not he's talking about the whole game(even parts he hasn't played yet) then I'll gladly agree with you, but it seems pretty clear that he's talking about his experience so far. The only thing that doesn't make much sense is the part about party play. It does apply to FATEs, but he didn't really specify.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#57 Aug 30 2013 at 11:48 AM Rating: Good
***
2,214 posts
AaronLamm wrote:
I started in 1.0, albeit quite hesitant but I had faith because I was a long standing member of the FFXI community.

Safe to say I was disappointed in the end and simply quit. I gave up on the chances of character recreation and legacy because it didn't matter enough to me.

When I heard about ARR and the overhaul on the game and the eventual re-release of FFXIV: A Realm Reborn I was immediately overwhelmed with excitement.

Now, just a few days into playing I'm already, shall we say finding myself wanting. Maybe its the lack of challenge or the gross punishment I would experience in FFXI that made the game so addicting that has brought out this feeling. I've already gotten my PUG and GLA to 15 and both were extremely tedious and mind-numbingly similar, monotonous button crushing, little to no strategy. Grouping remains the same, lackluster and un-inspired.

I am not sure what you are doing that is tedious, or mind-numbing. But, the first 20 levels are actually supposed to be (and while, I will admit, I have only made it to 5 before continuing on things that I actually want to get done), there is a vast variety of things to do now. Especially in comparison to either 1.0, or 11 in ways of getting leveled. And because of the volume of quests, you can't do the same quest over and over again for exp.

Now, liking or not liking FATES, or quests, or dungeon crawls, or meaningless hack-n-slashing might be a different issue. However, you do have your choice in these categories starting out. Each one of them gives good experience, and while your abilities are limited (which I believe is more of your issue), having a level 50 character, I can tell you, being only up to mini-ifrit, I am missing the abilities I am teased with. And while my combat moves are fairly locked to the same combos I start with, 90% of the abilities I use at 50 are not melee attacks. This makes me much happier to use paladin. We have defense, we have pacify, we have stun, we have ranged pull-in. There really is no lack of things to do, but rather a learning curve on when to use what when. It becomes more about the strategy in using the abilities, then just spamming the strongest ability when it's ready.
AaronLamm wrote:

Maybe the game is too easy? Too WoW-esque (which was just an awful experience for me because I flew through the game in just a few months). I was happy that the game was entering a more "casual" pipeline for players seeking both challenge and ease of play as well. I run a small internet marketing firm so I only have so much time to relinquish to FFXIV and even then (as a casual gamer) I'm finding the game already to be, too casual maybe.

I am not sure what you mean by casual. At the point you are in the game, it is not the way it is specifically for casual players, but to allow any player to get in, and begin the ramp up to hard stuff. But, instead of taking a 3 hour climb up a tower where the nearest respawn point is a 20 minute walk away, everything is set so that you can repeat it if you need to, and you can take on any part in 1/2 hour increments. There is still well over 40 hours of content in the main storyline alone, and an apparent hundreds of hours in dungeon and quests. Some of them incredibly easy, some annoyingly difficult (we already have FC members saying they will not go back to some dungeons).
AaronLamm wrote:

Just looking to see if other people are experiencing similar feelings. Hardcore FFXI players probably feel my pain and FFXI also took an absolute leap from the cliff of "excellent gaming experiences" to the all too common {Too Weak} reference.

The hard-core 11 players that I know so far have been telling us that this actually is a hard game. And they are enjoying the challenge, and are taunting about the Hard mode Primal fights, the Bahamut stuffs, Behemoth, the new relic quest, and extreme Ifrit. They have found their challenge, and are working it over.

It didn't matter to them what was put in from 1-50, they were going to get through it in a week. It could have been 200 hours of content required for end-game, and they still would have made it through. Hard mode Garuda, Hard modeVan Darnus, and extreme Ifrit proved that in 1.0. If there are road-blocks to get somewhere, they are just chewed through, and ignored by Hard-core endgame players. Casual players actually digest the content, and read the dialog, and watch the cutscenes.
AaronLamm wrote:

I don't know. A month free to make a full decision but my fear is that FFXIV is doomed to fit into the {Too Weak} category.

That is one of the benefits to the starting content being easier to digest. You have a chance to build up your character and get a feel of the game before 30 days are up. In 30 days, a casual player can get through the required content, and be able to participate in content that others want to do. That is the real benefit to the content you are currently working on. The difference is that everyone else (for the most part) is still working on the same content you are. As a result, it is not so much a race to catch up with people, as everyone learning how to get started... With training wheels. No one likes training wheels, least of all ones that are visible. And having helped dozens of people with their Dragon fight in 11, and the climb up dekfults because they have been searching for hours or days even for anyone to help them, the "new" way I think, while seemingly childish while we are getting the game up and going, serves more in the long term.

My only sadness to this is that you have made up your mind that the game (which is a 180 degree change from 1.0), which now has more quests at level 1 than 1.0 had total at launch, more dungeons, actual challenges (in 1.0 people were killing level 99 mobs with level 50 parties in the first week after the game was launched), more specialization (again, flaw in 1.0, the only difference between a CON and MRD was the weapon they used), without actually seeing the game.

At level 15 you have not had a chance to experience the game. While a lot of people are saying the world is smaller, once you take in the dungeons, and the new zone areas (The desert, the out edges of la noscea), you start to feel the real size of the game. Yeah, they definitely shrunk the known open world at release, but you can already see the areas planned for expansion.

You have not had a good taste of the abilities and functionality of your character. The difference in available abilities between 15 and 50 is incredibly noticable with any class or job for that matter.

You still have yet to make it to content meant to challenge you as a player. You are however close (in level). ~20-30 you will start to run into quests that can defeat you. 30+ you will begin doing content that, if you are not on your game, or are in a pick-up party, there isn't just a good chance of death/wipe, but, there is a good chance of party break-ups and reforms. As well as frustration.

And then there is party play. Party play starts with the first dungeon. It is merely a chance to introduce you to party mechanics, leading up to Ifrit. Where party balance is necessary (if you're party doesn't deal enough damage, it's a wipe. If your tank can't hold hate, it's a wipe. If you healer can't keep people, especially the tank healed... It's a wipe).

You are still at the crawling stage. If you are that much into a punishing push to feel like you have accomplished something, you need to get to the point where people are not. Get your Magitek mount, that is an accomplishment right now. Beat brayflox (sp?) with a a pick-up party. Or for those who wanted a craft or gathering route, just complete the quest line up to 50 on those (yeah, short victory, but still HQ for turn-ins made them more than worthwhile, and rewarding)... Though I do feel bad for everyone who has an illuminary...

Hmmm, need more sleep and less rant maybe:).
#58 Aug 30 2013 at 11:50 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
papajay wrote:
I played FFXI from November 2003 til just a few months ago, and I gotta say, the fact that it's not an insane timesink is the part I like the most. Gone are the days of standing around trying to beat 19 gil sellers at claiming a monster that only spawns once every 16 hours (REAL TIME) gone are the days where you have to bring an npc 20 items that have a .2% drop rate and are over-farmed anyway. Sure, I liked a lot of elements of Final Fantasy 11, but you have to admit, that game was digital sadism half of the time.

Anyone part of a Sky/Dyna shell in the hayday of level 75 cap can "attest" (HAH! Get it?) to this.

Do yourself a favor before you quit, play more of the game. You might find something you like once you leave the starting areas.

Edited, Aug 29th 2013 1:32pm by papajay

Edited, Aug 29th 2013 5:34pm by papajay



Shh. Let them go. More room for the rest of us...
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#59 Aug 30 2013 at 11:53 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
rfolkker wrote:
[ There is still well over 40 hours of content in the main storyline alone, and an apparent hundreds of hours in dungeon and quests. Some of them incredibly easy, some annoyingly difficult (we already have FC members saying they will not go back to some dungeons).


10 bucks on sunken temple Smiley: tongue

Edited, Aug 30th 2013 12:53pm by Valkayree
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#60 Aug 30 2013 at 11:54 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
I'm not going to argue with you about it Filth, because quite frankly, I have better things to do, such as enjoying FFXIV. I made my point, you don't agree with it. I don't agree with you. End of discussion, enjoy the forums.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#61 Aug 30 2013 at 12:46 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,134 posts
BartelX wrote:
I'm not going to argue with you about it Filth, because quite frankly, I have better things to do, such as enjoying FFXIV. I made my point, you don't agree with it. I don't agree with you. End of discussion, enjoy the forums.

Everybody makes mistakes Bart. I'm just glad that you're big enough to own them and admit when you're wrong. Smiley: smile
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#62 Aug 30 2013 at 2:32 PM Rating: Good
I just did Toto Rak as whm, while not very hard, it keeps you on your feet and things feel panicked throughout the whole fight. This is only a 24-27 dungeon and already you can see that people better know how to do their jobs. This game seriously gets better as you progress, so getting to 10-15...bleh.
____________________________

1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 72 All times are in CDT
Karlina, Thayos, Anonymous Guests (70)