Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Implement an AFD boot NOWFollow

#1 Aug 29 2013 at 5:12 PM Rating: Default
*
85 posts
I hear that sooner or later resolution is coming. I am tired of hearing it. We are in Day 3 ( really day 6) of launch. Endless ques and constant hassles to log in are no ok in a game that is fully commercialized. At the very least in the interim use your brains SE and implement an AFK boot. For gods sake it should have been a standard part of the code from day one!!
#2 Aug 29 2013 at 5:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
If it were implemented, they would keep it secret. Otherwise people would devise ways to defeat it like setting their character to run into a wall, and if that's not enough, then running a bot program to fake activity. You can't win against the determined.

There are a few hours during prime time when it's difficult to log in, but I haven't had any trouble outside of that. I think locking out new character creation on crowded servers has worked to keep things bearable so far. When they add capacity next week and people ship out to clean servers, everything should start working as intended.
#3 Aug 29 2013 at 5:29 PM Rating: Decent
7 posts
Apart from the server issues in early access, I've had no trouble logging in and out. I was put in a queue of 76 earlier on, but that was a wait of around 6 minutes...

That was on Shiva. ^
____________________________
Merkus Maxwell, Shiva Server!
#4 Aug 29 2013 at 5:35 PM Rating: Decent
*
85 posts
You are the lucky ones then. I have been trying to log in for 2 hours on Lamia. I have yet to be able to get in most nights. The only times I have been able to log in are early am to early afternoon EST.

I hate to constantly complain but **** I paid for this game I think I would like to play. I use this as post work stress relief lol, this has been the complete opposite.

For those of you that get the que message do you leave that pop up box open and it ques you in?? Mostly I get the 1017 world full but the few times I got the que message I closed it.

Edited, Aug 29th 2013 7:38pm by zaarel
#5 Aug 29 2013 at 5:37 PM Rating: Decent
*
249 posts
There is a dev post today wherethey state they will think about it later:
Greetings, everyone.

I know that the topic of users idling for long periods of time has become quite the hot topic due to the current login limitations. I wanted to let you know that the development team is aware of the discussions going on by users.

Currently, the implementation of a feature that would automatically disconnect a user who is idle for a specific amount of time is something that will be investigated once the currently announced plans and adjustments have been completed. Once that is in place, we'll be able to see a clearer picture of the concurrency numbers and get a better understanding of what steps need to be taken next.

I know that this is a "we'll need to wait and see and investigate," but it's important that we let you know where we currently stand on the topic.

Basically don't expect one. I wont go so far as to say they don't care but it sure seems like it.
#6 Aug 29 2013 at 5:55 PM Rating: Excellent
**
372 posts
ShadowofaDoubt wrote:
There is a dev post today wherethey state they will think about it later:
Greetings, everyone.

I know that the topic of users idling for long periods of time has become quite the hot topic due to the current login limitations. I wanted to let you know that the development team is aware of the discussions going on by users.

Currently, the implementation of a feature that would automatically disconnect a user who is idle for a specific amount of time is something that will be investigated once the currently announced plans and adjustments have been completed. Once that is in place, we'll be able to see a clearer picture of the concurrency numbers and get a better understanding of what steps need to be taken next.

I know that this is a "we'll need to wait and see and investigate," but it's important that we let you know where we currently stand on the topic.

Basically don't expect one. I wont go so far as to say they don't care but it sure seems like it.


I am guessing they want to wait and see after they add the new servers next week if it will actually be necessary to impliment it would be pointless to add if wont be an issue next week.
____________________________
Allena 99 WHM/ BST
#7 Aug 29 2013 at 6:10 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
491 posts
I lol'd at 'Day 3', I tried not too. Sorry. *shameful face*
#8 Aug 29 2013 at 6:33 PM Rating: Good
*
194 posts
zaarel wrote:
For those of you that get the que message do you leave that pop up box open and it ques you in?? Mostly I get the 1017 world full but the few times I got the que message I closed it.


Yes, leave the queue window open.
____________________________
FFXI: Edalya, Valefor Server 99WAR/99PLD/99DNC/75DRG (Retired)
FFXIV: Edalya Evenstar, Excalibur Server 46DRG
#9 Aug 29 2013 at 6:36 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,543 posts
Edalya wrote:
zaarel wrote:
For those of you that get the que message do you leave that pop up box open and it ques you in?? Mostly I get the 1017 world full but the few times I got the que message I closed it.


Yes, leave the queue window open.


And hope that you don't get a 1017 error anyway. Got into the queue twice so far today and each time got kicked out of the queue with the "World Full" error.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#10 Aug 29 2013 at 6:46 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,153 posts
TirithRR wrote:
Edalya wrote:
zaarel wrote:
For those of you that get the que message do you leave that pop up box open and it ques you in?? Mostly I get the 1017 world full but the few times I got the que message I closed it.


Yes, leave the queue window open.


And hope that you don't get a 1017 error anyway. Got into the queue twice so far today and each time got kicked out of the queue with the "World Full" error.


Usually I just get 1017 for about 5-10 minutes and give up. Today was the first day I actually reached a queue... then was booted out by the same error. It was akin to the excitement you get after you've been killing the same placeholder for an hour before an NM finally spawns in FFXI.... only to be claimed by RMT. Smiley: glare
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#11 Aug 29 2013 at 8:31 PM Rating: Default
*
212 posts
BlueLand wrote:
ShadowofaDoubt wrote:
There is a dev post today wherethey state they will think about it later:
Greetings, everyone.

I know that the topic of users idling for long periods of time has become quite the hot topic due to the current login limitations. I wanted to let you know that the development team is aware of the discussions going on by users.

Currently, the implementation of a feature that would automatically disconnect a user who is idle for a specific amount of time is something that will be investigated once the currently announced plans and adjustments have been completed. Once that is in place, we'll be able to see a clearer picture of the concurrency numbers and get a better understanding of what steps need to be taken next.

I know that this is a "we'll need to wait and see and investigate," but it's important that we let you know where we currently stand on the topic.

Basically don't expect one. I wont go so far as to say they don't care but it sure seems like it.


I am guessing they want to wait and see after they add the new servers next week if it will actually be necessary to impliment it would be pointless to add if wont be an issue next week.



The real question is why wasn;t it included at launch?

It was omitted for 1 of 2 reasons:

1. The dev team is incompetent and doens't know the game code well enough to implement what is a standard MMO feature.

2. They wanted to implement it but SE management over-ruled them, knowing it would cause these problems but launching with current infrastructure would be cheaper than adding servers, bandwidth, etc. Basically SE said "FU" to its customers in favor of short term cost savings.

Whichever it is it does not bode well for the longevity of the game.
____________________________
MUTED - 24 Hour
#12 Aug 29 2013 at 8:49 PM Rating: Excellent
*
108 posts
3 figmotherfugnuttin years , and they can't prepare for this moment. "Hey guys! lets make the game wayyyyyyyy better than it was! It'll be awesome! I bet not that many will actually wanna play though, so lets have small servers."

Me and many others waited many years for this game to get it's fudge ups straight. Apparently they can't handle their own success. If you are going to hype it up, better get servers up
____________________________


#13 Aug 29 2013 at 9:11 PM Rating: Excellent
**
372 posts
vahlmyth wrote:



The real question is why wasn;t it included at launch?

It was omitted for 1 of 2 reasons:

1. The dev team is incompetent and doens't know the game code well enough to implement what is a standard MMO feature.

2. They wanted to implement it but SE management over-ruled them, knowing it would cause these problems but launching with current infrastructure would be cheaper than adding servers, bandwidth, etc. Basically SE said "FU" to its customers in favor of short term cost savings.

Whichever it is it does not bode well for the longevity of the game.


I think the game just sold much more then they had predicted and they were caught unprepared and I imagine after the disaster that was FFXIV 1.0 the upper management was not willing to over spend more then necessary. The server problems will be fixed by next week so I fail to see how it affects the longevity of the game considering many MMO's have had similar launch problems.

Edited, Aug 29th 2013 11:12pm by BlueLand
____________________________
Allena 99 WHM/ BST
#14 Aug 29 2013 at 9:33 PM Rating: Decent
**
438 posts
FFXI didn't have an auto disconnect, but it wasn't a problem because the population was generally pretty small, and players had bazaars, so they needed to remain online and AFK in order to make a profit. --Toya on Shiva, I'm looking at you, all AFK in the Bastok Markets for 10 years!!!!!--

But this games doesn't have bazaars like XI did, and the population I'm going to wildly and inaccurately speculate is twice what XI had, so there's no reason in the world to stay logged in unless you think your character is alive and will have an existential crisis if it finds out it can blink in and out of existence.
____________________________
Star Swirl on Behemoth AKA Best-hemoth AKA The Cool Kid's Table----60AST, 60WHM, 60SCH/SMN, 60BLM, 60MNK, 38 PLD, 34DRG, 31NIN, 27MRD
FFXI- Derpypony on Asura
Check out the Dream Network, a Twitch.tv community for XIV fans, featuring notable streamers like Mr. Happy, MTQcapture, Rahhzay, and Slyakagreyfox! http://dreamnetwork.tv/forum/index.php
Then maybe check out myself, EquestriaGuy, on twitch at http://www.twitch.tv/equestriaguy


#15 Aug 29 2013 at 9:37 PM Rating: Good
6 posts
I understand the frustration and I also had issues logging on but instead of waiting and getting upset I made a character on one of the jp servers. I know SE should have prepared for this but instead of causing myself more grief I used the alternative and I haven't had a single issue since. I figure I'll just wait and server transfer later on down the road if I have to but there is a large population of NA ppl on those servers.
#16 Aug 30 2013 at 2:03 AM Rating: Decent
*
249 posts
vahlmyth wrote:
BlueLand wrote:
ShadowofaDoubt wrote:
There is a dev post today wherethey state they will think about it later:
Greetings, everyone.

I know that the topic of users idling for long periods of time has become quite the hot topic due to the current login limitations. I wanted to let you know that the development team is aware of the discussions going on by users.

Currently, the implementation of a feature that would automatically disconnect a user who is idle for a specific amount of time is something that will be investigated once the currently announced plans and adjustments have been completed. Once that is in place, we'll be able to see a clearer picture of the concurrency numbers and get a better understanding of what steps need to be taken next.

I know that this is a "we'll need to wait and see and investigate," but it's important that we let you know where we currently stand on the topic.

Basically don't expect one. I wont go so far as to say they don't care but it sure seems like it.


I am guessing they want to wait and see after they add the new servers next week if it will actually be necessary to impliment it would be pointless to add if wont be an issue next week.



The real question is why wasn;t it included at launch?

It was omitted for 1 of 2 reasons:

1. The dev team is incompetent and doens't know the game code well enough to implement what is a standard MMO feature.

2. They wanted to implement it but SE management over-ruled them, knowing it would cause these problems but launching with current infrastructure would be cheaper than adding servers, bandwidth, etc. Basically SE said "FU" to its customers in favor of short term cost savings.

Whichever it is it does not bode well for the longevity of the game.

I doubt its either.
#17 Aug 30 2013 at 2:10 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,653 posts
garethrogue wrote:
FFXI didn't have an auto disconnect


It sure did, but you could set it to various lengths of time, up to a maximum of one hour I think. Or you could opt to turn it off, which most players did.

They haven't rushed to add one in FFXIV because it doesn't directly address the most important issues they have right now, server capacity. It would be a band aid, plain and simple, and people would find a way around it.

At any rate, things seem to have improved slightly since earlier in the week.
____________________________
I tell you, we are here on Earth to **** around, and don’t let anybody tell you different.
#18 Aug 30 2013 at 4:22 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,270 posts
a pet peeve of mine...

Que = a word that means 'that'
Queue = a line of people waiting on something.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 79 All times are in CST
BrokenFox, FilthMcNasty, Anonymous Guests (77)