Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Here's an idea. Separate Character Server and World Select.Follow

#1 Sep 02 2013 at 3:00 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
4,506 posts
A lot of games have been doing this. And i really have no idea why SE isnt doing this themselves.

Have a separate Character Server.

That way you first log in to a "Character", and then independantly to that select which Server/World you like to play on.

That way, if one server is full, you can still play your character on another server for a bit till the server of your preference gets a free slot.

Naturally there should be something of a "Home" server your character originally got created on, but atleast it would fix congestion a little by spreading out people who arent looking to raid with their Free Company at the moment but just want to play the game. Also means a LOT less alternative characters that have to be created on other servers. SE has already shown that Server-Crossing battle instances are perfectly possible, so why not.

Yes, you wouldnt be able to chat with your linkshell (plus the pearls have to be server bound) but that's a small price to pay.

Also, why i brought up the "home" server. If there currently is a character bound (i.e. originally created their character with the same name on that server) to the server you are trying to join temporarily with a similar name, it should refuse the connection and you will simply have to select another one. Easy fix, and that way people always have atleast one server to join. Will it suck a little for the hundreds of Sephiroths, Clouds and popular anime names? maybe. But if you would have only been original, heck... no problems at all.

Worst case, you could always log in on one of the many other servers SE is going to errect without having to completely start over from scratch.
____________________________
[XI] Surivere of Valefor
[XIV] Sir Surian Bedivere of Behemoth
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2401553/
#2 Sep 02 2013 at 8:43 AM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
well that would ruin the community (as opposed to meeting pl youll know and see "forever" you may only met some random person youll never see again because he/she/you server hop. but it would also effect The economy., imagine if ppl just jumped to the cheap server to buy cheap stuff then resale it on the expensive one ofr something like that
#3 Sep 02 2013 at 8:52 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
41 posts
it's a great idea, but the game was not designed to cater to this mechanism. the congestion is temporary problem that has an easy albeit expensive (for SE) solution. we just have to wait til SE executes the most cost efficient method of increasing server capacity.
____________________________
Shu'on Vana'diel [Keeper of the Sun F] [Order of the Twin Adder]
CNJ50 THM28 ACN15 - MRD45 GLA45 ARC19 LNC15 PUG15
#4 Sep 02 2013 at 9:13 AM Rating: Good
Very good idea, and not a far fetched one. Some games are doing this and it's very effective..

What I'd like to see in the next FF MMO is a extremely expansive world (much more so than what we have now, even in this build of XIV) with a persistent single-shard world. EVERYONE plays on the same server.
____________________________
Blog: http://robertcrist.me/

Current: FFXIV | EVE Online (again)
Former: FFXI | The Matrix Online (FOREVER!!!) | STO | SW:TOR | EQ2 | WoW | Florensia | RF Online

FFXI :: Valefor :: Dareknight, Darexius
FFXIV :: Valefor :: Dare Knight
EVE Online :: Dare Knight, Hazel Knight, Rex Knight
#5Mopdaddy, Posted: Sep 02 2013 at 9:24 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Sorry SE is bound by law to not do things in a sensible manner.
#6 Sep 02 2013 at 11:03 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
424 posts
I like that idea, and the idea that it would ruin the sense of community makes little sense to me. Most of us have already created multiple characters to try and play on other servers while our main server is packed to the rafters. The duty finder already has you meeting people that you're never going to see again anyways, so what is the difference?
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#7 Sep 02 2013 at 11:06 AM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
supermegazeke wrote:
I like that idea, and the idea that it would ruin the sense of community makes little sense to me. Most of us have already created multiple characters to try and play on other servers while our main server is packed to the rafters. The duty finder already has you meeting people that you're never going to see again anyways, so what is the difference?



some ppl only play with one character.. lvling one character is enough work im not gonan do it multiple time son different characters/servers and some of us dont use duty finder either especially if you actually made friends who you can form a party withand fill teh oles needed to do dungeons already....
#8 Sep 02 2013 at 12:02 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
424 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
supermegazeke wrote:
I like that idea, and the idea that it would ruin the sense of community makes little sense to me. Most of us have already created multiple characters to try and play on other servers while our main server is packed to the rafters. The duty finder already has you meeting people that you're never going to see again anyways, so what is the difference?



some ppl only play with one character.. lvling one character is enough work im not gonan do it multiple time son different characters/servers and some of us dont use duty finder either especially if you actually made friends who you can form a party withand fill teh oles needed to do dungeons already....


Was GW2 the one with the overflow servers? I thought that system seemed pretty cool. In that way, you are still leveling your 1 character, and you're basically in a que to get into your server, it's just that you are able to play and progress with your character. To each his own. =)
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#9 Sep 02 2013 at 2:15 PM Rating: Excellent
*
100 posts
darexius2010, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Very good idea, and not a far fetched one. Some games are doing this and it's very effective..

What I'd like to see in the next FF MMO is a extremely expansive world (much more so than what we have now, even in this build of XIV) with a persistent single-shard world. EVERYONE plays on the same server.



Give it a few years, Eve does that, each solar system as it's own area, linked to each one in a massive web.

Imagine the next FF a little more Steampunk level... FInal Fantasy loves trains.

Regional harvesting and forced lines of supply moving goods from one end of the continent to the other, with some real-time restrictions. . (also an ideal setting for missions,riding as a guard on the train) Pay the going market-rate? Or spend 2 days with a chocobo pulled wagon for the profit margins. (Player created escort missions)

Where Eve pulls 250k+ subscribers and anywhere from 20-70k people on at once, I could see 500,000 of us on a single server actively ( in a FF setting that is, certainly a more popular world at this point) .

Market manipulation would take coordination on a massive scale. ( Not unheard of in Eve, and likely gives our Economist the giggles when he runs the numbers )

Right now I'd just be happy with the ability to set Buy orders in FF for small consumable crafting goods.

Edited, Sep 2nd 2013 4:18pm by OtosanOokami
____________________________
Synapsis Ataxia 50 WHM~ Ultros
XI From Beta to Sea, Retired. 75 WHM/THF+few other ones I liked playing less...
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 81 All times are in CST
Seriha, Anonymous Guests (80)