Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

When do you think a player should begin melding materia?Follow

#1 Sep 03 2013 at 8:11 PM Rating: Good
I'm currently lvl 35 DRG and I haven't melded any materia yet. I kind of figured that I wouldn't meld any until I got to the lvl 45+ dungeons. All of my gear, between missions and dungeons, is getting replaced rather rapidly.

What do you guys think / what have you done?
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#2 Sep 03 2013 at 8:13 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
180 posts
I haven't used materia yet and I am a level 50 whm lol. The problem is that I just don't have any good materia. I believe I just need to farm the post story dungeons for gear so I can get some decent materia to meld.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV
Rhaya Mewrilah
Ultros
Karma Zameleons

#3 Sep 03 2013 at 8:18 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
352 posts
As soon as slots shop up i feel that materia should be in them. I spent my first days setting up a decent materia getting system, then i put materia in all my level 15 bronze armor for my gladiator, i understand you can complete the main story with just quest gear, but i just enjoy makeing the best gear i can for my character.
____________________________
Goblin: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2192910/
Beastmaster ~<3 Cant wait.
Gold smithing till the day i die!
#4 Sep 03 2013 at 8:48 PM Rating: Good
With the ability to craft just about everything with only a little bit of a time investment for those lower level pieces of gear, and with the availability to easily spirit meld with your gear to make more materia, it's almost a fun little game to just do it all on your own.
____________________________
Blog: http://robertcrist.me/

Current: FFXIV | EVE Online (again)
Former: FFXI | The Matrix Online (FOREVER!!!) | STO | SW:TOR | EQ2 | WoW | Florensia | RF Online

FFXI :: Valefor :: Dareknight, Darexius
FFXIV :: Valefor :: Dare Knight
EVE Online :: Dare Knight, Hazel Knight, Rex Knight
#5 Sep 03 2013 at 8:50 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
352 posts
darexius2010, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
With the ability to craft just about everything with only a little bit of a time investment for those lower level pieces of gear, and with the availability to easily spirit meld with your gear to make more materia, it's almost a fun little game to just do it all on your own.


Thats how i feel since you can do everything your self, its just fun to be able to put materia on all your gear!
____________________________
Goblin: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2192910/
Beastmaster ~<3 Cant wait.
Gold smithing till the day i die!
#6 Sep 03 2013 at 8:58 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
130 posts
from what I've seen in the brief time I've been lvl 50 on my DRG... all the gear you use doesn't even have slots for materia. The AF gear doesnt, and neither does the AF+1 gear which I think is considered the best gear in the game currently... not too sure about Darklight, dont remember. Which has left me wondering what the whole point of it all is if the best gear in the game doesnt even allow you to use it.
____________________________
Character Name: Gil Thanas
Server: Ultros; Ul'Dah; Free Company - Supernal Force <FORCE>
http://www.supernalforce.com
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2374232/
DRG since 2002
#7 Sep 03 2013 at 8:59 PM Rating: Good
I havent even gotten into the whole materia thing yet. I had the quest where the concept was introduced but then the npcs told me that to attach it I need to have my crafts levelled up to a sufficient level to attach the materia.

So do I have to level up Leatherworking to attach materia to leather gear and then level Armourer to attach to metal armours?

Better yet has anyone written a handy dandy guide for the materia system yet?
#8 Sep 03 2013 at 9:13 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Phoenix904 wrote:
from what I've seen in the brief time I've been lvl 50 on my DRG... all the gear you use doesn't even have slots for materia. The AF gear doesnt, and neither does the AF+1 gear which I think is considered the best gear in the game currently... not too sure about Darklight, dont remember. Which has left me wondering what the whole point of it all is if the best gear in the game doesnt even allow you to use it.


Currently iLvl 70 HQ crafted gear = Darklight/Mog/Garuda/Titan even without Materia. For example, Heavy Darksteel body is almost exactly the same as Heavy Darklight body with zero Materia, and it has 4 safe Materia slots. Basically if you don't want to grind for DL or you want shinier stuff than DL without going to Bahamut Coil, then it's HQ crafted gears + Materia. You can also *dye* them.

iLvl 90 (Allaghan) and AF 2 are non-meldable and highest tier.
____________________________




#9 Sep 03 2013 at 9:19 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
392 posts
This is a very interesting post and i would like to hear more about it. I'm only a lvl 32 SCH and i was also wondering when i should and/or why i should start melding materia into gear? and for that fact, which gear should i add materia too? Anyone know of a good guide when it comes to this materia stuff???

Edited, Sep 3rd 2013 11:20pm by RyanSquires
____________________________
"You are what you are on paper."
-
Avirex Idyll - Faerie Server
#10 Sep 03 2013 at 9:21 PM Rating: Excellent
RyanSquires wrote:
This is a very interesting post and i would like to hear more about it. I'm only a lvl 32 SCH and i was also wondering when i should and/or why i should start melding materia into gear? and for that fact, which gear should i add materia too? Anyone know of a good guide when it comes to this materia stuff???

Edited, Sep 3rd 2013 11:20pm by RyanSquires



http://www.ffxivinfo.com/materia/guide.php is what I used.
____________________________
Blog: http://robertcrist.me/

Current: FFXIV | EVE Online (again)
Former: FFXI | The Matrix Online (FOREVER!!!) | STO | SW:TOR | EQ2 | WoW | Florensia | RF Online

FFXI :: Valefor :: Dareknight, Darexius
FFXIV :: Valefor :: Dare Knight
EVE Online :: Dare Knight, Hazel Knight, Rex Knight
#11 Sep 03 2013 at 9:23 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
392 posts
darexius2010, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
RyanSquires wrote:
This is a very interesting post and i would like to hear more about it. I'm only a lvl 32 SCH and i was also wondering when i should and/or why i should start melding materia into gear? and for that fact, which gear should i add materia too? Anyone know of a good guide when it comes to this materia stuff???

Edited, Sep 3rd 2013 11:20pm by RyanSquires



http://www.ffxivinfo.com/materia/guide.php is what I used.


Thanks ^.^
____________________________
"You are what you are on paper."
-
Avirex Idyll - Faerie Server
#12 Sep 03 2013 at 9:33 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
121 posts
I started materia melding with low level gear for 1 reason. I'll have little need for low level materia with my high level gear, and if I do it's relatively cheap anyway at low levels. Sure I could sell it, but since the ability to meld materia means you can craft items that people want to buy I'd rather hoard+use the materia than sell it since I can get my gil from other items that are cheap to craft and easier than waiting for spirit bonding. Besides that if you cycle your gear (much easier when you craft) you will rack up a ton of materia that you won't know what to do with anyway, much of which is so common it doesn't fetch much in the market. So why not dump it on some gear?

Edited, Sep 3rd 2013 11:37pm by ErikHighwind
____________________________
[img]http://xivreborn.com/gen/Erik_Highwind_Coeurl_Classes.jpg[/img]
#13 Sep 04 2013 at 9:49 AM Rating: Decent
11 posts
Is there a guide to materia somewhere? I don't know much about it (how is it acquired, what do they do, how do you put it on gear, ect...) I'd like to learn more about it if I can.
#14 Sep 04 2013 at 9:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Read the thread, there is a guide posted not 3 posts above yours.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#15 Sep 04 2013 at 9:54 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
I'm currently lvl 35 DRG and I haven't melded any materia yet. I kind of figured that I wouldn't meld any until I got to the lvl 45+ dungeons. All of my gear, between missions and dungeons, is getting replaced rather rapidly.

What do you guys think / what have you done?


Start melding whenever you have a slot open on an armor if you want. If you want to do it yourself, you need to level your crafting to equal your level, and level the appropriate craft to meld to your class' items.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#16 Sep 04 2013 at 10:02 AM Rating: Good
11 posts
Wint wrote:
Read the thread, there is a guide posted not 3 posts above yours.


Wow, how'd i miss that?! Thanks! ^^
#17 Sep 04 2013 at 10:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Autumfire wrote:
Wint wrote:
Read the thread, there is a guide posted not 3 posts above yours.


Wow, how'd i miss that?! Thanks! ^^


After I posted that I wonder if you weren't typing this question while the link was posted. Sorry if that sounded a bit abrupt, I didn't mean to Smiley: smile
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#18 Sep 04 2013 at 10:12 AM Rating: Excellent
11 posts
Wint wrote:
Autumfire wrote:
Wint wrote:
Read the thread, there is a guide posted not 3 posts above yours.


Wow, how'd i miss that?! Thanks! ^^


After I posted that I wonder if you weren't typing this question while the link was posted. Sorry if that sounded a bit abrupt, I didn't mean to Smiley: smile



To be fair, according to the time stamps, I just flat out didn't read. But I appreciate the vote of good intent! And the guide answered all of my questions!
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 88 All times are in CDT
Callinon, Anonymous Guests (87)