Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

This is what SE has to look forward toFollow

#1 Sep 04 2013 at 10:57 AM Rating: Sub-Default
21 posts
#2 Sep 04 2013 at 10:59 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,260 posts
Right, because everyone knows Forbes is a major gaming outlet.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#3 Sep 04 2013 at 11:01 AM Rating: Excellent
******
48,703 posts
Ugh, the very fact that Forbes is hosting an op-ed titled after a song from the Ghostbusters II soundtrack makes me feel old.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4 Sep 04 2013 at 11:02 AM Rating: Excellent
**
576 posts
Did you read the review? It was very positive.

If this is what SE has to look forward to, then they've done a great job redesigning the game.
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#5 Sep 04 2013 at 11:04 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
320 posts
That's a really good review of the game!

Quote:
Pretty soon Square Enix will have a fan revolt on their hands. It would be a shame if people abandoned ship not because the game was terrible, but because it was so good nobody could actually log on to play.


How many games can say that today? These login issues will be solved and quickly forgotten. The game will survive this launch just fine.
____________________________
FFXIV ARR: Ultros - James Kilton
#6 Sep 04 2013 at 11:09 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
530 posts
Pickins wrote:
Did you read the review? It was very positive.

If this is what SE has to look forward to, then they've done a great job redesigning the game.



This.
The reviewer really liked the game, was just upset that he couldn't get on as much as he would have liked. Otherwise he spoke very highly of it. I'm pretty sure most people would agree with his assessments.
____________________________
i'm not saying, i'm just saying
_________________________
Babu Voyvoda - Hyur Midlander
White Mage
#7 Sep 04 2013 at 11:13 AM Rating: Excellent
******
48,703 posts
ACLinjury wrote:
I'm pretty sure most people would agree with his assessments.
I didn't agree with the revolt part. Square has given people dozens of reasons to revolt over the last decade. If their fans haven't revolted and left yet, they never will. Call it what you will; Resilience, stubbornness, faith or Stockholm Syndrome.

Edited, Sep 4th 2013 1:13pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#8 Sep 04 2013 at 11:15 AM Rating: Default
28 posts
Taratru wrote:
That's a really good review of the game!

Quote:
Pretty soon Square Enix will have a fan revolt on their hands. It would be a shame if people abandoned ship not because the game was terrible, but because it was so good nobody could actually log on to play.


How many games can say that today? These login issues will be solved and quickly forgotten. The game will survive this launch just fine.


Remains to been seen two weeks in and no end in sight yet.
Only way people are going to forget is if they suffer from alzheimers
#9 Sep 04 2013 at 11:16 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
The reviewer must have just quit Guildwars 2 because that's mostly what he talked about.

But I agree, that was a fairly positive review, with a nod of deserved criticism toward the real problems plaguing the data center.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#10 Sep 04 2013 at 11:17 AM Rating: Good
*
176 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
or Stockholm Syndrome.

Edited, Sep 4th 2013 1:13pm by lolgaxe


God damned nail on the head.
____________________________
Cannibalism is a valid means of debate. Your opponent presents their side of the argument and you respond in kind by consuming their liver. Thus the debate ends with you having proved your point. As a boon for being such a master of the debationary arts few people will wish to confront you in such a manner in the future.
#11 Sep 04 2013 at 11:19 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
62 posts
Taratru wrote:
That's a really good review of the game!

Quote:
Pretty soon Square Enix will have a fan revolt on their hands. It would be a shame if people abandoned ship not because the game was terrible, but because it was so good nobody could actually log on to play.


How many games can say that today? These login issues will be solved and quickly forgotten. The game will survive this launch just fine.


THANK YOU. could not have put it better myself.
____________________________
-there is your way, and the right way. my way is the right way. get used to it.-

~-~YggdrasilSlepnir/Odins Horse Slepnir~-~
(yes i realize after the fact, that Yggdrasil should have a second L at the end, and Slepnir should have an i after the e......) -.-
#12 Sep 04 2013 at 11:21 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
62 posts
Redding wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
or Stockholm Syndrome.

Edited, Sep 4th 2013 1:13pm by lolgaxe


God damned nail on the head.



FFXI is a pure case of stockholm syndrome..... i know this personally. 4 different character accounts...... lol. each one a seperate expansion.
____________________________
-there is your way, and the right way. my way is the right way. get used to it.-

~-~YggdrasilSlepnir/Odins Horse Slepnir~-~
(yes i realize after the fact, that Yggdrasil should have a second L at the end, and Slepnir should have an i after the e......) -.-
#13 Sep 04 2013 at 11:22 AM Rating: Excellent
****
5,745 posts

The funny part? When I clicked the link, Forbes temporarily put me on a page with the following Thought of the Day:
"An optimist sees an opportunity in every calamity; a pessimist sees a calamity in every opportunity. ”
— Winston Churchill
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#14 Sep 04 2013 at 11:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
79 posts
I love seeing reviews and stuff like this it shuts up all the naysayers about this game and bascially ended all the gloom and doom surrounding this game. Yes SE made a Fail First launch of FFXIV 1.0. But im glad it failed because SE came back stronger than ever and really put an amazing product.

The fact that people couldn't log into the game and kept trying and trying for 5-6 hours at some times is a testimate to the game and how far its come, granted thats not the best way to look at it.
#15 Sep 04 2013 at 11:29 AM Rating: Good
**
336 posts
MMO sales usually take a sharp decline after launch. I hope they get everything straight in time so people stick around.
#16 Sep 04 2013 at 12:19 PM Rating: Decent
**
348 posts
Its pretty sad that shallow people will go by the word of ONE person. to decided weather or not they will try something out. In this case. FFXIV. Why not, and this may be a stretch. But Use your own words and opinions on something and see how you may like or dislike it. Instead of coming on here with your the world is ending attitude. If you have tried the game, and dont like it then fine. move on. But if ur only on here **** hurt cuz u cant get onto a server. Then join the long line of other people with the same problem. and do what most of them are doing. either shut up and go outside. or shut up and keep trying til you get on. Its that simple really.

Just my 2 pennies.
____________________________




#17 Sep 04 2013 at 12:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
And yet the review is positive. What was your point?
____________________________


#18 Sep 04 2013 at 2:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
95 posts
Lol glowing praise from start to finish whatever will se do?
#19 Sep 04 2013 at 2:50 PM Rating: Excellent
**
660 posts
I don't really care who quits. I like the game well enough to hold out until the problems with the login servers are resolved. The game is undeniably fun and has hooked me in a way no game has in a long time. I'm in no rush to get to the level cap or complete all the content, and gathering jobs are comfy to play, so I don't mind the hiccups. To me it's worth bearing until the issues are fixed. I don't think a review online is going to change how I feel, nor is some angry troll in a forum post going to sway my opinion. I've played the game and I like it.
____________________________


#20 Sep 04 2013 at 7:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Read it all through and thought it very fair and positive while still critiquing the bad fairly.

He actually wants to play himself what better recommendation from a reviewer.
____________________________
Hocuspocus of Hades:
The Kings Majesties most excellent Hocus Pocus
Karma Zameleons - Zam.com Linkshell on Ultros Server!
#21 Sep 04 2013 at 7:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,500 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
ACLinjury wrote:
I'm pretty sure most people would agree with his assessments.
I didn't agree with the revolt part. Square has given people dozens of reasons to revolt over the last decade. If their fans haven't revolted and left yet, they never will. Call it what you will; Resilience, stubbornness, faith or Stockholm Syndrome.

Edited, Sep 4th 2013 1:13pm by lolgaxe
it's more an supply/demand kind of thing, they offer a very specific product that is (almost) not available anywhere else, sometimes the quality drops and a 1.0 happens, but other times... let's just hope this game's future is as good as its character creation.
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous *** in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#22 Sep 04 2013 at 7:46 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
623 posts
Quote:
All told, from what I’ve played so far this is a top-notch MMO and I hope it succeeds in the subscriber model so many others have failed at


Faith is being restored.
#23 Sep 04 2013 at 10:41 PM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
I see nothing wrong with that review.. I agree with it completely... tl;dr version:

"Wonderful game, when you can actually play it"


sounds 100% accurate to me
#24 Sep 04 2013 at 10:52 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
488 posts
Love looking at the posts that didn't read the article.
#25 Sep 04 2013 at 11:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
150 posts
So are we implying that because the game had connection issues the first week that its doomed?

Ignoring the fact that the game itself is actually quite polished of course.

I get that a buggy and messy game that also has connection issues like FFXIV did can probably kiss any successful future goodbye...but for a game that had issues only because it was so popular, and for a short period of time (granted its still fresh in everyone mind) and compensated financially for it....I don't see any gloom and doom in their future,

Plus SE is one of the few companies that can get away with not being profitable for an extended period of time since they don't need outside investors to fund the game, same as blizzard...in fact both launches were pretty much the same...only blizzard too like a month to resolve it all.

I think this game will do just fine. Perhaps this week long ordeal stopped them from having a 1-5 million subscriber game...though I doubt that...but I could see that argument being made that this all prevent the game from being even more massive.

Also I recall forbes making a lot of stupid calls regarding gaming in the past. I mean they might be good at looking at the numbers, but I wouldn't take any gaming advice from a financial based company. Im fairly sure the only way they know if a game is good or not is based on a financial report and financial report alone....and im not sure they get stuff like "its a FF game so people are going to buy it" mentality.

Seems like asking IGN to analyze quarterly reports for commodity based companies and taking advice on future price predictions.
#26 Sep 04 2013 at 11:45 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
23 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
ACLinjury wrote:
I'm pretty sure most people would agree with his assessments.
I didn't agree with the revolt part. Square has given people dozens of reasons to revolt over the last decade. If their fans haven't revolted and left yet, they never will. Call it what you will; Resilience, stubbornness, faith or Stockholm Syndrome.

Edited, Sep 4th 2013 1:13pm by lolgaxe


Should have known it was you, lolgaxe. Hilarious but accurate summing the whole thing up. Stockholm Sydrome huh. lol Might just be.
____________________________
annewandering 75whm/37blm
meowmixx mnk/war
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 73 All times are in CST
BrokenFox, Anonymous Guests (72)