Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Does final fantasy XIV require prior game knowledge?Follow

#1 Sep 06 2013 at 4:26 PM Rating: Decent
5 posts
Just as the title says. I been wanting to get back into gaming however there's not a lot of games out there that sparks my interest like this one. I never played any of the previous titles before and I was wondering if I will be completely lost if I made an account.
#2 Sep 06 2013 at 4:28 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Short answer: Nope!

Long answer: Each Final Fantasy game is a unique story. Many of them are set in completely unique worlds - a few are set in the same world, but vastly different time periods (e.g. the medieval Ivalice of FF Tactics versus the more modern Ivalice of XII.)

So you can dive right in without ever having played a single Final Fantasy game, and do just fine.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#3 Sep 06 2013 at 4:28 PM Rating: Decent
This game points you in the right direction the entire time.. icons for quests, and icons for quest progression and completion... I believe crafting may be the weakest part of the game as far as learning curve, but that's just me. There are all kinds of help sites if you get stuck, or you can ask a shell member if you need any help.
____________________________
AFTERMATH FREE COMPANY (Hyperion)
Join Today!
#4 Sep 06 2013 at 4:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
FFXIV:ARR starts from the standpoint that you have no MMO experience at all. There are plenty of tutorials and help screens to aid you along, especially during the first 15 levels.
#5 Sep 06 2013 at 4:35 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
325 posts
Catwho pretty much sums it up. No FF are the same or linked to where you must play one to understand the other. I recommend you give it a shot.
____________________________
FFXIV
Name: Z'veagan Brolz
Server: Ultros
Linkshell/FC: Lootwhorindramafest
#6 Sep 06 2013 at 4:36 PM Rating: Decent
5 posts
Awesome. Thank you very much for the quick replies.
#7 Sep 06 2013 at 5:12 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
I agree with everyone else. You didn't need to play the previous games to play this one. However, there are elements of the story you'll miss because their nods to previous games. Consider those experiences easter eggs. One such experience is when you meet this guy who clearly looks like a priest clothed in the garb, but because of his mannerisms, you already know he's really Cid. It's stuff like that which isn't a big deal for a newbie.
#8 Sep 06 2013 at 5:54 PM Rating: Default
**
438 posts
Xoie wrote:
FFXIV:ARR starts from the standpoint that you have no MMO experience at all. There are plenty of tutorials and help screens to aid you along, especially during the first 15 levels.


I always figured those were for XI exclusive MMO players, who probably need their hand held through a more WoW style MMO :)

don't hate me ; ;
____________________________
Star Swirl on Behemoth AKA Best-hemoth AKA The Cool Kid's Table----60AST, 60WHM, 60SCH/SMN, 60BLM, 60MNK, 38 PLD, 34DRG, 31NIN, 27MRD
FFXI- Derpypony on Asura
Check out the Dream Network, a Twitch.tv community for XIV fans, featuring notable streamers like Mr. Happy, MTQcapture, Rahhzay, and Slyakagreyfox! http://dreamnetwork.tv/forum/index.php
Then maybe check out myself, EquestriaGuy, on twitch at http://www.twitch.tv/equestriaguy


#9 Sep 06 2013 at 10:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
95 posts
You'll enjoy it more if you have played the other games. There are references to the entire series in xiv. You'll enjoy the other ones after playing this too.
#10 Sep 06 2013 at 10:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
525 posts
garethrogue wrote:
Xoie wrote:
FFXIV:ARR starts from the standpoint that you have no MMO experience at all. There are plenty of tutorials and help screens to aid you along, especially during the first 15 levels.


I always figured those were for XI exclusive MMO players, who probably need their hand held through a more WoW style MMO :)

don't hate me ; ;


As someone who has only ever played ffxi before - no other MMO experience - this is a fairly accurate comment.

What? I can call my chocobo ALL THE TIME? WITH NO GIL? AND NO TIMER? WHAT IS THIS WIZARDRY?!?!?
____________________________
I used to care about my sig. Then I got mocked and ****-hurt. I shall commence with the self-pity now.
#11 Sep 06 2013 at 10:32 PM Rating: Decent
**
438 posts
Buffylvr wrote:
garethrogue wrote:
Xoie wrote:
FFXIV:ARR starts from the standpoint that you have no MMO experience at all. There are plenty of tutorials and help screens to aid you along, especially during the first 15 levels.


I always figured those were for XI exclusive MMO players, who probably need their hand held through a more WoW style MMO :)

don't hate me ; ;


As someone who has only ever played ffxi before - no other MMO experience - this is a fairly accurate comment.

What? I can call my chocobo ALL THE TIME? WITH NO GIL? AND NO TIMER? WHAT IS THIS WIZARDRY?!?!?


-Did you know that in other MMOs you can search for items in the AH by name?
-You can see the stats of an item, simply by clicking on it in the chat log, and link it to other players!
-you can choose which quests you want to track!
-quest rewards come with a free frogurt!
____________________________
Star Swirl on Behemoth AKA Best-hemoth AKA The Cool Kid's Table----60AST, 60WHM, 60SCH/SMN, 60BLM, 60MNK, 38 PLD, 34DRG, 31NIN, 27MRD
FFXI- Derpypony on Asura
Check out the Dream Network, a Twitch.tv community for XIV fans, featuring notable streamers like Mr. Happy, MTQcapture, Rahhzay, and Slyakagreyfox! http://dreamnetwork.tv/forum/index.php
Then maybe check out myself, EquestriaGuy, on twitch at http://www.twitch.tv/equestriaguy


#12 Sep 07 2013 at 6:03 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,425 posts
garethrogue wrote:
Did you know that in other MMOs
-you can choose which quests you want to track!

You could in FFXIV as well, back in Phase 3. They removed it in some big misunderstanding/miscommunication in Phase 4 and through release. I am suspecting they will bring it back in the first big patch.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#13 Sep 08 2013 at 9:22 AM Rating: Good
5 posts
Thank you everyone for your replies. I convinced my roommate to join with me once the digital download are back up. :) looking forward to playing.
#14 Sep 08 2013 at 9:48 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Previous Final Fantasy experience won't help you. Previous Word of Warcraft experience, however, will have you knowing most the game inside and out.


Edited, Sep 8th 2013 11:49am by KaneKitty
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#15 Sep 08 2013 at 10:01 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
moonfroh wrote:
You'll enjoy it more if you have played the other games. There are references to the entire series in xiv. You'll enjoy the other ones after playing this too.

That's what I was gonna bring up. It's not required at all to get going, but there are moments in the stories that a FF fan may appreciate more than another player.
#16 Sep 08 2013 at 2:09 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,166 posts
garethrogue wrote:

-Did you know that in other MMOs you can search for items in the AH by name?
you can here too, huge search bar at the top of the market board
-You can see the stats of an item, simply by clicking on it in the chat log, and link it to other players!
god i miss this
-you can choose which quests you want to track!
as mentioned, very likely coming back
-quest rewards come with a free frogurt!
no they don't

____________________________
"A women almost bit off her husband's ***** while he was making pancakes in the morning." ~ Lewis black-Anticipation

A Complete History Of The Soviet Union Through The Eyes Of A Humble Worker, Arranged To The Melody Of Tetris~~http://bit.ly/aPlx8C

Miklar Lorent ~ http://odinseinherjar.guildwork.com/
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 67 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (67)