Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Need Vs. GreedFollow

#1 Sep 08 2013 at 9:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,503 posts
I've had one or two decent parties through the duty finder with people passing on things they didnt have any need for, or just rolling greed when they didnt exactly want the item but would probably sell it if they got the chance.

But lately i keep running into people who just roll Need on every single piece they can roll Need on, regardless of it being incredibly inferior to what they're already having, or useless not just for their job but every other job you can imagine. Statless things with low defense as well.

You can argue that it's stuff no one probably wanted. But when the rest of the party socially rolls Greed on something like that, and one person systematically rolls Need on all the all-classes gear... That just really ****** me off.

What can be done about things like that?
____________________________
[XI] Surivere of Valefor
[XIV] Sir Surian Bedivere of Behemoth
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2401553/
#2 Sep 08 2013 at 9:16 AM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
Nothing. It's an honor system.

We can either hope people will be 'honorable' or try to make an agreeable decision with all players prior to moving through the instance.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#3 Sep 08 2013 at 9:27 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
It's a honour system implemented in what's effectively an anonymous, online setting. So you can imagine how well it works out.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#4 Sep 08 2013 at 10:26 AM Rating: Decent
*
234 posts
If an item can be converted, you bet your *** I'm rolling Need on it.
#5 Sep 08 2013 at 10:27 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
150 posts
in a pug I see no reason to not need on something when it gives you the option...though I pass on lots of stuff I can need for.

you don't know what other classes people have leveled, something that might be inferior might be useful on another class ect.

since its a pug, and its cross server, just expect everyone is out for themselves.

there are a lot of reasons to not use the duty finder, this is just one of those reasons.

yes it ****** me off when the tank rolls on something obviously designed for a dragoon (im a dragoon) when I know its a massive downgrade to what the tank is rolling, and the only reason he rolled need was because he could. Happens and to be expected in duty finder pugs.
#6 Sep 08 2013 at 10:35 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
95 posts
One of my favorite topics. If you're in a pug, anything goes. I don't go for everything, but unless you talk it out first don't expect people to lay off the greed button.
#7 Sep 08 2013 at 11:05 AM Rating: Decent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I'm running all the dungeons on CNJ on pretty much all my characters, because I'm comfortable with that role and I don't really feel like waiting 45 minutes in a queue for storyline dungeons.

You best your sweet *** I'm lotting Greed on it if one of my actual "real" classes can use it.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#8 Sep 08 2013 at 11:53 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
I remember seeing loot drama and people bailing on DF groups because they didn't get what they wanted during phase 3 beta. When things were getting wiped anyway...
#9 Sep 08 2013 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
I remember seeing loot drama and people bailing on DF groups because they didn't get what they wanted during phase 3 beta. When things were getting wiped anyway...


It's the 'remote in the ***' era of mmo.

~sighs~ My innocence is gone forever.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#10 Sep 08 2013 at 12:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
425 posts
I've been lucky, but I like to think the luck was helped out by the fact that I was equally as fair as the rest of the players in the past 2 groups I was in.. I know what I want, and I know what I am. I'm a Student of Hamon Holyfist. All I want is PUG/MNK gear. You can have the rest. If any is inferior to my current gear, I will pass it.

____________________________
FFXI character: Elathia ::F Tarutaru::87SCH/75RDM/70WHM/54BLM::Cerberus/Ragnarok/Bahamut::1/23/2004 - 3/25/2015 :: Retired
RDM First 75 Job :: RDM Maat victory: March 28, 2008 (1/3) :: San d'Oria R10 Long live King Destin :: Praise be to the late King Ranperre.
FFXIV character: Selene Silverstorm :: F Lalafell :: WAR60/WHM60/BLM60 :: Ragnarok :: 9/2013 -
Patch note archives for FFXIV: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/patchnote_log/
#11 Sep 08 2013 at 12:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
Question to forums: Does the token thing I read about before get handed out here?

Nothing can be done on SE's side, it's designed that way, so no rules are being broken, it's functioning as intended.

Something can be done from your side, but first a few questions:

Do you enjoy the process of running instances or does the reward factor in or matter more than the process?

If only the ends matter or they matter more than the process, then there will always be an undercurrent of frustration. Even if you got every drop you wanted, every single run, that wouldn't make you happy because then you would run out of meaningful content to do and be bored or frustrated.

Why are you getting ****** off?

There are so many better reasons to get ****** off about than digital rewards.



Solution: You are frustrated by an honor system built from someone else's values. You are frustrated because people are not behaving how you perceive they should because it's fair. Build your own kingdom, build your own code of honor in that kingdom, and appoint your own knights who uphold your code of chivalry. Duty finder is an option, you can skip it through the use of guilds and friends.
#12 Sep 08 2013 at 12:40 PM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
sandpark wrote:
Question to forums: Does the token thing I read about before get handed out here?

Nothing can be done on SE's side, it's designed that way, so no rules are being broken, it's functioning as intended.

Something can be done from your side, but first a few questions:

Do you enjoy the process of running instances or does the reward factor in or matter more than the process?

If only the ends matter or they matter more than the process, then there will always be an undercurrent of frustration. Even if you got every drop you wanted, every single run, that wouldn't make you happy because then you would run out of meaningful content to do and be bored or frustrated.

Why are you getting ****** off?

There are so many better reasons to get ****** off about than digital rewards.




Solution: You are frustrated by an honor system built from someone else's values. You are frustrated because people are not behaving how you perceive they should because it's fair. Build your own kingdom, build your own code of honor in that kingdom, and appoint your own knights who uphold your code of chivalry. Duty finder is an option, you can skip it through the use of guilds and friends.


My problem is things like DF are meant to BUILD community. Hopping around from MMO to MMO with your "friends" is all fine and dandy but it's actually isolating 'community'. I have the foreboding impression that mine is an unpopular opinion but I stick to it. "Join a FC" is not an excuse to be selfish amongst strangers and peers.

This genre used to have a lot more tact.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#13 Sep 08 2013 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
Get use the the Need rolling. Happened back in WoW until enough people complained about it and they changed the way you can roll on gear type. Your best bet is if you see something drop and you think "dang that would really be nice to have" you should roll Need. If you just want it to sell for chump gil (I won a Greed roll on a Lance in a Dungeon,while on my Lancer. It was not an upgrade, so thus the Greed roll, was suggested that I just sell it..and why not? Smart Idea, but is gear from Dungeons become bound? I still have the lance as it is unique...actually I don't even think I can NPC sell it :3) or maybe let it sit on the back burner until you level the class(es)/jobs it is for, hit greed.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a |
#14 Sep 08 2013 at 1:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
970 posts
ShindaUsagi wrote:

My problem is things like DF are meant to BUILD community. Hopping around from MMO to MMO with your "friends" is all fine and dandy but it's actually isolating 'community'. I have the foreboding impression that mine is an unpopular opinion but I stick to it. "Join a FC" is not an excuse to be selfish amongst strangers and peers.

This genre used to have a lot more tact.

Just being around people is meant to build community. There is no limit to how many friends you can have and there is no limit to how many deep connections we can have here. Only you can make it isolating. Maybe you have five friends who hop around with you or maybe you have 500 friends who hop with you or maybe 5,000 friends.

Shin, your impression is not unpopular. Most people want to form connections. We just let our emotions or beliefs stand in the way of creating connections. There is no excuse for being selfish amongst strangers, there is no reason not to be friendly with strangers unless it's a fear of death. I was just telling him that people are different and they won't always do things you like them to do. The only thing you can control is how you act or feel.
#15 Sep 08 2013 at 2:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
91 posts
The way I see it if you need it then say "you need it" I been in a few dungeons already and we announce of we need it or we ask in general of its needed for a job, if it is we pass but if not we greed.

Like someone else said it's the honor system but if you talk before hand and figure it out then things become easier but that's not to say you won't run into ******** who anyways press need cause they greedy *****.
#16 Sep 08 2013 at 3:59 PM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
ShindaUsagi wrote:
My problem is things like DF are meant to BUILD community.


I don't see how that could be true. At present, there's no way to keep in touch with anyone you meet inside a DF mission aside from exchanging personal information (which I wouldn't recommend). The best I've done to work around this was to literally form a group with the people waiting outside a dungeon with me on my server and add them to my friend list. But once you roll the dice on anyone joining from any world to complete the mission, the goal is no longer community but personal achievement.

That said, considering you have to work together as a team to make progress, you should try to get along with everyone there as reasonably as you can. Every group is different, so being adaptable helps.
#17 Sep 08 2013 at 4:12 PM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
Xoie wrote:
ShindaUsagi wrote:
My problem is things like DF are meant to BUILD community.


I don't see how that could be true. At present, there's no way to keep in touch with anyone you meet inside a DF mission aside from exchanging personal information (which I wouldn't recommend). The best I've done to work around this was to literally form a group with the people waiting outside a dungeon with me on my server and add them to my friend list. But once you roll the dice on anyone joining from any world to complete the mission, the goal is no longer community but personal achievement.

That said, considering you have to work together as a team to make progress, you should try to get along with everyone there as reasonably as you can. Every group is different, so being adaptable helps.


Yes, you got me. DF pulls from all servers. Yaddah, yaddah, yaddah. We have no personal responsibility to whomever we get allotted with because chances are we'll never see them again. AWESOME!!!

It's just... respect. IDK. I'm in the down vote zone and it's always hard to try to make people understand to respect a situation when they don't expect respect in return. I get it.

But I completely agree with your last sentence if not for the same reasons.

Please don't make me quote Micheal Jackson. I hate Micheal Jackson.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#18 Sep 08 2013 at 4:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
424 posts
I really thought for awhile, that if everyone in the party passed on an item, that the item would get put in to one of the pt members inventory without the bound to you restriction that you get when you need or greed it. That is not the case though, as the item gets destroyed if everybody passes. With this knowledge at hand, I pretty much greed everything that I cannot need on. The only times I don't need on items that I can, is when I already have that item in my inventory (in which case the game will force you to pass), or when I am in a lower level dungeon and the gear drops are virtually meaningless to me. I rarely ever click pass.

I ran Brayflox a lot within the last week or so, and one pug I was in told me DRG/LNC armor in the dungeon would not allow him to click need on it, but I could. The more I ran it, I noticed another set that I couldn't need on that seemed like it would be geared for him, and not the aforementioned gear set that he claimed should be for him. I believe that maybe people are misinformed about what roles they play, and what gear they are looking for when going into a dungeon. It would be nice if there was a menu in-game for each dungeon, and the possible loot that would drop that you can need on for any given class. Like to say, if I que for Sashtasha as a CNJ, a list would come up before hand stating which gear set is for you, and which bosses are going to drop it.

I know there are quite a few websites in which to look up information like this, but I have this feeling that most of the people playing this game might be doing so blindly. Would be nice for people to have the info right there in front of them, without having to look up third party guides. I think it would cure a lot of the confusion up in terms of people not knowing what gear is for them, and what is not.

Edited, Sep 8th 2013 6:31pm by supermegazeke
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#19 Sep 08 2013 at 5:23 PM Rating: Good
*****
12,622 posts
I only roll need on things that are better than what I have. Otherwise, I roll greed.
____________________________
Blah
#20 Sep 08 2013 at 5:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
150 posts
ShindaUsagi wrote:
sandpark wrote:
Question to forums: Does the token thing I read about before get handed out here?

Nothing can be done on SE's side, it's designed that way, so no rules are being broken, it's functioning as intended.

Something can be done from your side, but first a few questions:

Do you enjoy the process of running instances or does the reward factor in or matter more than the process?

If only the ends matter or they matter more than the process, then there will always be an undercurrent of frustration. Even if you got every drop you wanted, every single run, that wouldn't make you happy because then you would run out of meaningful content to do and be bored or frustrated.

Why are you getting ****** off?

There are so many better reasons to get ****** off about than digital rewards.


Solution: You are frustrated by an honor system built from someone else's values. You are frustrated because people are not behaving how you perceive they should because it's fair. Build your own kingdom, build your own code of honor in that kingdom, and appoint your own knights who uphold your code of chivalry. Duty finder is an option, you can skip it through the use of guilds and friends.


My problem is things like DF are meant to BUILD community. Hopping around from MMO to MMO with your "friends" is all fine and dandy but it's actually isolating 'community'. I have the foreboding impression that mine is an unpopular opinion but I stick to it. "Join a FC" is not an excuse to be selfish amongst strangers and peers.

This genre used to have a lot more tact.



Dungeon finders might be a great way to create a community, and they do work. However cross server dungeon finders to the exact opposite.

Problem is no one wants to wait for a dungeon, and issues arise when new players join late...if you don't cross server it. However it completely wrecks the community bonding that may occur because chances are youll never see those people again.

Before I played a cross server dungeon finder game, that had a dungeon finder, it was great. You met people, developed relationships either positive or negative based on their actions and performance in the dungeon. People earned reputations, good or bad. Eventually you knew who was good, and you kept track of those people until you didn't need the dungeon finder you just PMed all the good players you met in the finder.

But because of above mentioned issues with dungeon finders...cross server finder became the norm. All the community interaction was with random people on other severs...**** I don't even know who is or isn't on my server using the duty finder. Its like, wow we just had an awesome run you guys are great...*poof* gone forever...which is good when things go awful...I guess.
#21 Sep 08 2013 at 6:29 PM Rating: Decent
**
598 posts
Strangerous wrote:
ShindaUsagi wrote:
sandpark wrote:
Question to forums: Does the token thing I read about before get handed out here?

Nothing can be done on SE's side, it's designed that way, so no rules are being broken, it's functioning as intended.

Something can be done from your side, but first a few questions:

Do you enjoy the process of running instances or does the reward factor in or matter more than the process?

If only the ends matter or they matter more than the process, then there will always be an undercurrent of frustration. Even if you got every drop you wanted, every single run, that wouldn't make you happy because then you would run out of meaningful content to do and be bored or frustrated.

Why are you getting ****** off?

There are so many better reasons to get ****** off about than digital rewards.


Solution: You are frustrated by an honor system built from someone else's values. You are frustrated because people are not behaving how you perceive they should because it's fair. Build your own kingdom, build your own code of honor in that kingdom, and appoint your own knights who uphold your code of chivalry. Duty finder is an option, you can skip it through the use of guilds and friends.


My problem is things like DF are meant to BUILD community. Hopping around from MMO to MMO with your "friends" is all fine and dandy but it's actually isolating 'community'. I have the foreboding impression that mine is an unpopular opinion but I stick to it. "Join a FC" is not an excuse to be selfish amongst strangers and peers.

This genre used to have a lot more tact.



Dungeon finders might be a great way to create a community, and they do work. However cross server dungeon finders to the exact opposite.

Problem is no one wants to wait for a dungeon, and issues arise when new players join late...if you don't cross server it. However it completely wrecks the community bonding that may occur because chances are youll never see those people again.

Before I played a cross server dungeon finder game, that had a dungeon finder, it was great. You met people, developed relationships either positive or negative based on their actions and performance in the dungeon. People earned reputations, good or bad. Eventually you knew who was good, and you kept track of those people until you didn't need the dungeon finder you just PMed all the good players you met in the finder.

But because of above mentioned issues with dungeon finders...cross server finder became the norm. All the community interaction was with random people on other severs...**** I don't even know who is or isn't on my server using the duty finder. Its like, wow we just had an awesome run you guys are great...*poof* gone forever...which is good when things go awful...I guess.


Sweetie...

I know I'm fighting a losing argument. I'm living inside a romance of what was compared to what is. I completely expect to lose this argument. All I ask is no one hold it against me because I'm still holding on a little too long.


Edited, Sep 8th 2013 8:32pm by ShindaUsagi
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#22 Sep 08 2013 at 7:28 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
ShindaUsagi wrote:
My problem is things like DF are meant to BUILD community. Hopping around from MMO to MMO with your "friends" is all fine and dandy but it's actually isolating 'community'. I have the foreboding impression that mine is an unpopular opinion but I stick to it. "Join a FC" is not an excuse to be selfish amongst strangers and peers.

This genre used to have a lot more tact.


I agree with your sentiment quite strongly, but I don't think that cross-server auto-group systems are designed to build community -- quite the opposite -- they're designed explicitly to circumvent it. I've been saying it since this duty finder was announced: systems like this are designed for efficiency and they sacrifice all meaningful, long-term interaction with others to do so. One can suddenly party with strangers from another realm, perform as badly as one pleases, take everything for oneself, clear the dungeon, and repeat the process instantly. Without any need for it, a community ceases to exist.

Ironically, most everyone touted this duty finding system as an end to long wait times, citing their experiences with FFXI as proof of the failure of a party-based system with one's own server population. Well, now the DF has come and DDs still face long wait times, on one hand, but also rude, apathetic players on the other. You're lucky to receive so much as an emote from another person in these situations.

Ultimately you can't have both a community and a system of anonymous cross-server grouping. Such a system could have worked for PvP, but it pulls the guts from PvE content. The closest thing to community interaction FFXIV will ever have will come in the form of casual chat with one's company or linkshell, in the form of brief mercantile trades between a gatherer and a crafter.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#23 Sep 08 2013 at 8:13 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,386 posts
Quote:
Well, now the DF has come and DDs still face long wait times


I mean.... I spent 16 hours once LFG on DRK in FFXI. The most I've spent in queue in the DF was 80 minutes. Definitely a long time but... it's all relative.

Quote:
Ultimately you can't have both a community and a system of anonymous cross-server grouping.


I disagree.

You aren't going to get much of a community doing dungeons, for sure that's true.

The community comes in with the organized content. The raids, the pvp, the stuff that requires people to say more than two words to each other and is better done in premade groups. That's where you get your community.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#24 Sep 08 2013 at 9:37 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
The community comes in with the organized content. The raids, the pvp, the stuff that requires people to say more than two words to each other and is better done in premade groups. That's where you get your community.


Until now I didn't think there was any PvP content whatsoever, so I can't speak to that. But with regard to the raids you mentioned: you're saying there's content that can't be queued up in a cross-server auto-group? If so, then that's very good news to me, and I agree that such a place is an avenue for some kind of community and camaraderie to form.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#25Mopdaddy, Posted: Sep 08 2013 at 11:15 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Please for the love of everything holy do not cry about gear in games. It only makes you look bad.
#26 Sep 08 2013 at 11:16 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
488 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Archmage Callinon wrote:
The community comes in with the organized content. The raids, the pvp, the stuff that requires people to say more than two words to each other and is better done in premade groups. That's where you get your community.


Until now I didn't think there was any PvP content whatsoever, so I can't speak to that. But with regard to the raids you mentioned: you're saying there's content that can't be queued up in a cross-server auto-group? If so, then that's very good news to me, and I agree that such a place is an avenue for some kind of community and camaraderie to form.

It is Impossible to do cross server raids unless you dumb them down to absolute garbage.
#27 Sep 08 2013 at 11:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
74 posts
This would be what I call Wowification of MMOs. That hate filled nasty "community" spread its filth to everything else.

FFXIV will never be as bad as WoW but you should just go ahead and give up any chance of it being anything near what games like FFXI, EQ and DAoC had.
____________________________
FFXIV: Lamia
FC: Swarm
Character: ...whatever name I decide to use this week.
#28 Sep 09 2013 at 12:15 AM Rating: Decent
*
51 posts
Ill chime in here. I've rolled need on things that's were not unique in WoW as an example and people of course got mouthy about it. I'd kindly inform them that I did indeed need that item for another character. So I'd mail it after the run and pug up again. Alright that's one aide of the coin for me.

I've also open trade windows with people that have needed something that I needed on and knew it was an upgrade, gave them the item and called it good. I don't believe in being a total prick to strangers.

PUGs are going to be a random set of people or you'll run into the same person or persons each time you que. you never know. What you feel you need you roll need. If you wanna be nice and greed instead of needing then its your game. You paid the money for the game and when subs come up you're paying the subs, not joe blow random guy ******** at you to only need what you really. It is my opinion that people can need whatever the **** they want. If I see everyone rolling need then guess what I'll be doing that as well. You don't know if you've got someone playing CNJ job and using that to farm gear for say GLD or THM.
#29 Sep 09 2013 at 12:51 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
491 posts
Strangerous wrote:
Dungeon finders might be a great way to create a community, and they do work. However cross server dungeon finders to the exact opposite.

Problem is no one wants to wait for a dungeon, and issues arise when new players join late...if you don't cross server it. However it completely wrecks the community bonding that may occur because chances are youll never see those people again.

Before I played a cross server dungeon finder game, that had a dungeon finder, it was great. You met people, developed relationships either positive or negative based on their actions and performance in the dungeon. People earned reputations, good or bad. Eventually you knew who was good, and you kept track of those people until you didn't need the dungeon finder you just PMed all the good players you met in the finder.

But because of above mentioned issues with dungeon finders...cross server finder became the norm. All the community interaction was with random people on other severs...**** I don't even know who is or isn't on my server using the duty finder. Its like, wow we just had an awesome run you guys are great...*poof* gone forever...which is good when things go awful...I guess.


No disrespect, but I'm gonna call hogwash on this. It's only as 'random' as you allow it to be. In almost all of my DF groups, I'll ask everyone where they are from and a lot of them are on my friend list right now. Others too, that happened to be on the same server would add each other to their friend list at the end of the run. If you just blindly run through without opening your mouth and interacting, don't be surprised of the lonely feeling you get from it at the end of the day.
#30 Sep 09 2013 at 3:18 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
334 posts
The duty finder is just like everything else in life; it's all in your perspective.

An optimist sees an opportunity in every calamity; a pessimist sees a calamity in every opportunity.
-- Winston Churchill
____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
#31 Sep 09 2013 at 10:09 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
So, just to bump the question I asked last night about Archmage Callinon's reply: is there indeed content in this game that can't be completed with cross-server auto-grouping? That is, content that requires cooperation with others on your server?

Working with others in a persistent community is the reason I play(ed) MMORPGs, so this is an essential issue for me.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#32 Sep 09 2013 at 10:18 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
95 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
So, just to bump the question I asked last night about Archmage Callinon's reply: is there indeed content in this game that can't be completed with cross-server auto-grouping? That is, content that requires cooperation with others on your server?

Working with others in a persistent community is the reason I play(ed) MMORPGs, so this is an essential issue for me.


If it requires even the faintest Ammount of coordination then the content will be impossible with randoms and might require teamspeak or ventrillo for better communication. Essentially you could try it in the duty finder but good luck getting anything done.
#33ImmolatedHope, Posted: Sep 09 2013 at 10:31 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Alright. Gonna have to put the stake in this thread.
#34 Sep 09 2013 at 10:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
491 posts
ImmolatedHope wrote:
Alright. Gonna have to put the stake in this thread.

To those of you who haven't played XI. It's the same system, just differently named. You rolled for items when you lotted them. This was your "Need" the only thing SE added was Greed. But let's recap here, people are using the Need/Greed. But I've yet to see people actually bring up the word "Pass". I remember sitting in Brayflox's Longstep and I could tell this player was from WoW. Here is how our conversation went at the beginning of the dungeon.


Me: I'm looking for Battlemage Gear.

Them: Okay :)

A chest comes up. Had Battlemage's Gloves in them. I did my need and I had announced it before hand

Me: Pass this please. I need it.

Them: I hit Greed.

Me: Why would you hit Greed when you don't even play the class. (Mind you they were 34 Dragoon)

Them: Because I just wanted them.

Me: You're not even going to use the gear right now. If I get it then I'll be using it.You should try to at least pass on items you don't need.

Them: Why? The point of the Greed button is to get things you want. I'm not going to pass and not use what is in the game.

Me: Yes but it's proper party etiquette, which is something you don't have so it seems.

After that whole spout, I ended up getting the gloves anyway, which I in fact rubbed in their face like a bad habit,

It's just the players don't have common sense and want everything just to have it instead of asking first. It's give me and then ask later after you've greeded on everything in the pool. It's madness.

Edited, Sep 9th 2013 12:33pm by ImmolatedHope


Wait, I thought Need overruled Greed? Am I missing something here?
#35ImmolatedHope, Posted: Sep 09 2013 at 10:38 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) It does, but when someone then Greed's on something it holds the item in the queue for longer than if you just simply passed the item.
#36 Sep 09 2013 at 10:41 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,386 posts
I think there's some confusion over how these buttons work.. please allow me to explain.

Pass: Takes you out of the running for the item entirely
Greed: Rolls for the item if nobody pushes Need
Need: Rolls for the item and overrides Greed rolls.

So let me summarize.. if you push Need on an item, you only roll against other people who also pushed Need. As soon as anyone Needs on an item, Greed rolls are automatically discarded. The only time Greed ever comes into play is if nobody pushes Need.

Essentially, you should always Greed on items you can't use and Need on any items you need. Once you're a Sergent Second Class with your GC, you can turn in pink and green-quality items you don't need for seals.

Someone rolling Greed does not affect your Need roll in the slightest.

Now, if you've got someone in there competing with you for gear legitimately, you can ask them to pass on something you're looking for. And it's entirely up to them whether they do that or not.

EDIT because this wasn't here:

Quote:
It does, but when someone then Greed's on something it holds the item in the queue for longer than if you just simply passed the item.


Items will roll as soon as everyone has made a selection. If something is sitting in the loot pool collecting dust, it's because it's waiting for someone to push SOMETHING, ANYTHING.

Edited, Sep 9th 2013 11:42am by Callinon
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#37 Sep 09 2013 at 10:42 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
491 posts
ImmolatedHope wrote:
It does, but when someone then Greed's on something it holds the item in the queue for longer than if you just simply passed the item.


But you're still guaranteed the item, right? I agree, it would be easier to pass, since the person could equip it immediately, which would benefit the whole party, but when it's striped to its core, its really not an issue. I would call it a minor annoyance, at best.
#38 Sep 09 2013 at 10:44 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
100 posts
Thank you for the clearance, I just hate this system the way it is. People are just...blah.
____________________________
FF: XIV - Server: Brynhildr
Name: Deadly Waltz
FC: SWORN
My Brayflox's Longstep Final Boss Guide - http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=13785160615194813
My Tanking Guide - http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=297&mid=1378648576133515117
-----------------
FF XI - Server: Phoenix
Name: Nakami
LS: VanadielReborn
#39 Sep 09 2013 at 10:45 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
491 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
I think there's some confusion over how these buttons work.. please allow me to explain.

Pass: Takes you out of the running for the item entirely
Greed: Rolls for the item if nobody pushes Need
Need: Rolls for the item and overrides Greed rolls.

So let me summarize.. if you push Need on an item, you only roll against other people who also pushed Need. As soon as anyone Needs on an item, Greed rolls are automatically discarded. The only time Greed ever comes into play is if nobody pushes Need.

Essentially, you should always Greed on items you can't use and Need on any items you need. Once you're a Sergent Second Class with your GC, you can turn in pink and green-quality items you don't need for seals.

Someone rolling Greed does not affect your Need roll in the slightest.

Now, if you've got someone in there competing with you for gear legitimately, you can ask them to pass on something you're looking for. And it's entirely up to them whether they do that or not.

EDIT because this wasn't here:

Quote:
It does, but when someone then Greed's on something it holds the item in the queue for longer than if you just simply passed the item.


Items will roll as soon as everyone has made a selection. If something is sitting in the loot pool collecting dust, it's because it's waiting for someone to push SOMETHING, ANYTHING.

Edited, Sep 9th 2013 11:42am by Callinon


That's how I was under the assumption it worked and the way it has always worked, as far as I'm aware. Pressing Greed hurts absolutely no one, because if someone needed it for their current class, they would have the option to do so. Sorry about double post, but wanted to +1 Callinon's comment and he posted as I was posting my previous.
#40 Sep 09 2013 at 10:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I think the only thing that holds up the queue is if the non-lotters don't pass. Someone lotting Greed on an item isn't going to affect it if no one else lotted or passed.

I've started rolling Greed on everything I can, because I've seen gear drop to the ground when everyone passed before. Might as well Greed it rather than let it go to waste. (This is how I ended up with all 20 sets of Dynamis gear in FFXI.)
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#41 Sep 09 2013 at 10:49 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
491 posts
Catwho wrote:
I think the only thing that holds up the queue is if the non-lotters don't pass. Someone lotting Greed on an item isn't going to affect it if no one else lotted or passed.

I've started rolling Greed on everything I can, because I've seen gear drop to the ground when everyone passed before. Might as well Greed it rather than let it go to waste. (This is how I ended up with all 20 sets of Dynamis gear in FFXI.)


Nicely said, CatWho. The only way I PASS is if I have absolutely no use for an item (i.e a GLD/PLD item drops and ,being a PLD, the one I have is better)
#42 Sep 09 2013 at 10:51 AM Rating: Decent
******
48,477 posts
DragonBourne wrote:
The only way I PASS is if I have absolutely no use for an item
You could probably sell it to an NPC.

Edited, Sep 9th 2013 12:51pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#43 Sep 09 2013 at 10:53 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
352 posts
I almost always hit pass, since i make all my own gladiator gear and HQ gear is on par with pink dungeon drop gear. I really like how this game did crafting and dungeon gear feel like there are two options to get great gear!
____________________________
Goblin: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2192910/
Beastmaster ~<3 Cant wait.
Gold smithing till the day i die!
#44 Sep 09 2013 at 10:55 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,386 posts
DragonBourne wrote:
Catwho wrote:
I think the only thing that holds up the queue is if the non-lotters don't pass. Someone lotting Greed on an item isn't going to affect it if no one else lotted or passed.

I've started rolling Greed on everything I can, because I've seen gear drop to the ground when everyone passed before. Might as well Greed it rather than let it go to waste. (This is how I ended up with all 20 sets of Dynamis gear in FFXI.)


Nicely said, CatWho. The only way I PASS is if I have absolutely no use for an item (i.e a GLD/PLD item drops and ,being a PLD, the one I have is better)


You should still Greed that and give it to the GC personnel officer for seals if you win it.

Or if an item drops that you already own, Greed it, and if you win you can convert your existing one to materia and equip the new one.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#45 Sep 09 2013 at 11:01 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
491 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
DragonBourne wrote:
Catwho wrote:
I think the only thing that holds up the queue is if the non-lotters don't pass. Someone lotting Greed on an item isn't going to affect it if no one else lotted or passed.

I've started rolling Greed on everything I can, because I've seen gear drop to the ground when everyone passed before. Might as well Greed it rather than let it go to waste. (This is how I ended up with all 20 sets of Dynamis gear in FFXI.)


Nicely said, CatWho. The only way I PASS is if I have absolutely no use for an item (i.e a GLD/PLD item drops and ,being a PLD, the one I have is better)


You should still Greed that and give it to the GC personnel officer for seals if you win it.

Or if an item drops that you already own, Greed it, and if you win you can convert your existing one to materia and equip the new one.


I could, but I'll give the others a shot at equipping an off-class or something. :)
#46 Sep 09 2013 at 12:53 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
moonfroh wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
So, just to bump the question I asked last night about Archmage Callinon's reply: is there indeed content in this game that can't be completed with cross-server auto-grouping? That is, content that requires cooperation with others on your server?

Working with others in a persistent community is the reason I play(ed) MMORPGs, so this is an essential issue for me.


If it requires even the faintest Ammount of coordination then the content will be impossible with randoms and might require teamspeak or ventrillo for better communication. Essentially you could try it in the duty finder but good luck getting anything done.


My apologies for being somewhat dense on the matter, but I'm looking for a direct answer.

Is there content in this game that requires one to play with people from one's own server? That is, cooperative group content that cannot even access the duty finder for members?
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#47 Sep 09 2013 at 1:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
204 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
moonfroh wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
So, just to bump the question I asked last night about Archmage Callinon's reply: is there indeed content in this game that can't be completed with cross-server auto-grouping? That is, content that requires cooperation with others on your server?

Working with others in a persistent community is the reason I play(ed) MMORPGs, so this is an essential issue for me.


If it requires even the faintest Ammount of coordination then the content will be impossible with randoms and might require teamspeak or ventrillo for better communication. Essentially you could try it in the duty finder but good luck getting anything done.


My apologies for being somewhat dense on the matter, but I'm looking for a direct answer.

Is there content in this game that requires one to play with people from one's own server? That is, cooperative group content that cannot even access the duty finder for members?


The 2 relic quest bosses Chimera and Hydra are not used in the duty finder.

Also away from that question. Why the on earth does this game allow you to roll need on a piece of gear you already have? That is just plain stupid.
____________________________
WoW: 80 Hunter - 80 Death Knight - 80 Paladin
FFXI: 75 Dragoon - 75 Samurai - 75 Paladin
FFXIV 1: 50 War/Pld/Brd/Mnk/Drg/Smn/Sch/Bsm
FFXIV 2: 50 Thm/Cnj
Tera: 60 Slayer - 60 Lancer - 60 Berserker
GW2: 80 Twilight Guardian
#48 Sep 09 2013 at 1:17 PM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
Warby wrote:
Also away from that question. Why the on earth does this game allow you to roll need on a piece of gear you already have? That is just plain stupid.

Seems most the stuff I come across in dungeons is unique so I can't need or greed on it.
#49 Sep 09 2013 at 2:15 PM Rating: Decent
**
589 posts
Warby wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
moonfroh wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
So, just to bump the question I asked last night about Archmage Callinon's reply: is there indeed content in this game that can't be completed with cross-server auto-grouping? That is, content that requires cooperation with others on your server?

Working with others in a persistent community is the reason I play(ed) MMORPGs, so this is an essential issue for me.


If it requires even the faintest Ammount of coordination then the content will be impossible with randoms and might require teamspeak or ventrillo for better communication. Essentially you could try it in the duty finder but good luck getting anything done.


My apologies for being somewhat dense on the matter, but I'm looking for a direct answer.

Is there content in this game that requires one to play with people from one's own server? That is, cooperative group content that cannot even access the duty finder for members?


The 2 relic quest bosses Chimera and Hydra are not used in the duty finder.

Also away from that question. Why the on earth does this game allow you to roll need on a piece of gear you already have? That is just plain stupid.


You can't roll on "Green" gear if you have it in inventory already. That's need or greed. If its Pink you can.
#50 Sep 09 2013 at 2:44 PM Rating: Good
****
5,745 posts
ImmolatedHope wrote:
Thank you for the clearance, I just hate this system the way it is. People are just...blah.

I'm guessing that the player that you had that conversation with is thinking the same thing about you. You accused him of lacking proper etiquette and then proceed to rub your newly obtained gear in his face. Now that you know how the Need/Greed system works, imagine what the other 2 members of your party must have thought of you after all that drama.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#51 Sep 09 2013 at 2:56 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
425 posts
I like duty finder, its a good way to potentially meet everyone in the entire game. What will depress me though is if I hit it off well with a party member, and she or he is gone forever when the run is over - and we will be both aware of this and likely talk while still in the instance after boss is killed, until the instance kicks us out. But I know I'll try to get some way to stay in touch, like park a char on their server or something. It'd still bother me that we wont play together, unless I level up said parked char.
DragonBourne wrote:
ImmolatedHope wrote:
It does, but when someone then Greed's on something it holds the item in the queue for longer than if you just simply passed the item.


But you're still guaranteed the item, right?

Yes you are. It's on a timer of sorts(you can see a "life bar"), and unlike FFXI, you will not lose the item if everyone has not lotted/pushed something.

Edited, Sep 9th 2013 5:00pm by TwilightSkye
____________________________
FFXI character: Elathia ::F Tarutaru::87SCH/75RDM/70WHM/54BLM::Cerberus/Ragnarok/Bahamut::1/23/2004 - 3/25/2015 :: Retired
RDM First 75 Job :: RDM Maat victory: March 28, 2008 (1/3) :: San d'Oria R10 Long live King Destin :: Praise be to the late King Ranperre.
FFXIV character: Selene Silverstorm :: F Lalafell :: WAR60/WHM60/BLM60 :: Ragnarok :: 9/2013 -
Patch note archives for FFXIV: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/patchnote_log/
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 73 All times are in CDT
Thayos, Anonymous Guests (72)