Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

This kind of behavior from a level 50 tank? Seriously?Follow

#1 Sep 11 2013 at 12:11 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
2,675 posts
By the time someone hits level 50 they should have some slightest clue as to how to play their job right?

Apparently leveling as a tank in this game is so ridiculously easy that some people can't be bothered to learn some of the simpler mechanics. I just had to leave three level 50 dungeons in a row because each tank was so entirely clueless it was a wonder they had made it out of their very first dungeon.

Marking an enemy should be a simple matter right? Each and every time none of these people could be bothered to toss out even a single mark on their focused target. I ended up having to assume the initial target they pulled each time was their focus and half of the time they would suddenly switch targets a few seconds in and the mob starts running after whichever DD had started to build the most hate.

That brings us into afk tanking. In what world is this considered even slightly appropriate? Each time I or another DD would end up on the wrong mob and pull hate the tank wouldn't budge an inch. At first I figure that they're just focused on the other mob but then when that one too goes running after someone each tank was left staring off into space while everyone else is kiting around the room or spamming cures for the next minute or two until the tank realized there was nothing in front of them anymore.

SE seriously needs to look at the balance of this game and how easily tank jobs are getting pushed along that people can get as far as they have without having a clue or even really caring about how they're playing.
#2 Sep 11 2013 at 12:15 PM Rating: Good
**
337 posts
Maybe you should politely give them some pointers. I've suggested marking to certain tanks and sometimes they didn't even know they could.

Don't expect a PS3 player to use a whole bunch of marks though. Maybe just one mark for what they're currently attacking. They're much more limited in button space.
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn
Lucas Nox on Midgardsormr
#3 Sep 11 2013 at 12:20 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,536 posts
LucasNox wrote:
Maybe you should politely give them some pointers. I've suggested marking to certain tanks and sometimes they didn't even know they could.

Don't expect a PS3 player to use a whole bunch of marks though. Maybe just one mark for what they're currently attacking. They're much more limited in button space.


On the controller if you press "X" on the 360 controller (or... Square? for the PS3) while targeting an NPC/PC/Player it brings up the Marking menu, then just select the mark you want. It's quick and easily done while you are gathering for a large enough group that needs it.

I wouldn't assume everyone knows about the marking though, I'd actually suspect that more of the population does not know about it than those that do. Took me a few runs to figure out it could be done, and only then after I saw someone do it and went looking. And then it took me a little while to discover that I could quickly bring up the marking menu with the controller without having to go through the menus.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#4reptiletim, Posted: Sep 11 2013 at 12:20 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) With as many people that wanted this game to be FFXI-2 it wouldnt surprise me at all if they think they can afk tank in this game like they did in FFXI.
#5 Sep 11 2013 at 12:21 PM Rating: Default
7 posts
PS3 world problems.

this is why I don't MMO on consoles.
I will give that 1 mark is better than 0.
I'm sure a ps3 player could at least make a Macro that could mark 2-3 mobs.

@OP
Did the tank(s) use Flash? Few dungeon runs I've been in (Haukke Manor) the tank doesn't use Flash..
#6 Sep 11 2013 at 12:21 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
2,675 posts
LucasNox wrote:
Maybe you should politely give them some pointers. I've suggested marking to certain tanks and sometimes they didn't even know they could.

Don't expect a PS3 player to use a whole bunch of marks though. Maybe just one mark for what they're currently attacking. They're much more limited in button space.


At level 50 this isn't really a "pointers" kind of thing.

If you're introducing a tank to the signs/marks menu or suggesting that they actually look at the screen while playing at level 50 you should first be questioning whether or not their parent/guardian knows they're playing or if they should be up with a head injury quite that severs.
#7 Sep 11 2013 at 12:24 PM Rating: Good
**
337 posts
PlanckZero wrote:
LucasNox wrote:
Maybe you should politely give them some pointers. I've suggested marking to certain tanks and sometimes they didn't even know they could.

Don't expect a PS3 player to use a whole bunch of marks though. Maybe just one mark for what they're currently attacking. They're much more limited in button space.


At level 50 this isn't really a "pointers" kind of thing.


Maybe, but keep in mind (fault them or not) many level 50 players barely did any content which required their attention. As a tank in FATE grinding parties, you certainly don't have to mark... and usually you don't even have to tank.
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn
Lucas Nox on Midgardsormr
#8 Sep 11 2013 at 12:25 PM Rating: Decent
*
249 posts
I have more issues with tanks and healers ragequitting as soon as a df starts because we arent relic+1 geared out for an af leveld dungeon.
#9 Sep 11 2013 at 12:26 PM Rating: Decent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
We've had to give a "tanking 101" lesson to new tanks in Sastasha, since that's the first dungeon and most people's first attempt at playing with others.

I think markers is more of a tanking 201 thing, however. Just getting newbie tanks to hold hate at all is a big accomplishment.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#10 Sep 11 2013 at 12:28 PM Rating: Decent
*
197 posts
TirithRR wrote:
Don't expect a PS3 player to use a whole bunch of marks though. Maybe just one mark for what they're currently attacking. They're much more limited in button space.



One of my good friends tanks on a PS3, he marks every mob (1,2,3) plus ones that need to be CC and he does it quite effectively, so I really doubt the problem is them being a PS3 player, more likely they are just lazy or not that smart to begin with.
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#11 Sep 11 2013 at 12:29 PM Rating: Good
**
337 posts
Jeskradha wrote:
TirithRR wrote:
Don't expect a PS3 player to use a whole bunch of marks though. Maybe just one mark for what they're currently attacking. They're much more limited in button space.



One of my good friends tanks on a PS3, he marks every mob (1,2,3) plus ones that need to be CC and he does it quite effectively, so I really doubt the problem is them being a PS3 player, more likely they are just lazy or not that smart to begin with.


I'm not saying it's impossible - I use a 360 controller on PC and I use marks at all times. I just wouldn't expect it from random folk, because things are crammed on the crossbars.

Edited, Sep 11th 2013 2:29pm by LucasNox
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn
Lucas Nox on Midgardsormr
#12 Sep 11 2013 at 12:42 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
204 posts
jetah wrote:
Did the tank(s) use Flash? Few dungeon runs I've been in (Haukke Manor) the tank doesn't use Flash..


Flash is not even required to keep hate at the kind of level the OP is talking about. Against multiple mobs yes, but single mobs its only better to use flash purely for the blind debuff.

As for people talking about marking targets, i use a controller on the PC so i have the same issue with crossbar space. You just have to optimize macros to have multiple functions, like Tomahawk/Heavy swing in the same macro etc. I have 1 space left for marking on my bar, but the simple way around this is to mark the 1st mob to kill, when its dead reapply the same mark to another mob. This takes less than a second and if you don't do this its because your either lazy or don't care about making the run go smoothly.

I have seen alot of bad tanks (Only in 8 mans, because im a tank myself). The reason for this is because alot of people are new to this game and rushed their way to lvl 50 through fates. Eventually they will get better, you just got to give them time and afew tips along the way.
____________________________
WoW: 80 Hunter - 80 Death Knight - 80 Paladin
FFXI: 75 Dragoon - 75 Samurai - 75 Paladin
FFXIV 1: 50 War/Pld/Brd/Mnk/Drg/Smn/Sch/Bsm
FFXIV 2: 50 Thm/Cnj
Tera: 60 Slayer - 60 Lancer - 60 Berserker
GW2: 80 Twilight Guardian
#13 Sep 11 2013 at 12:42 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
PlanckZero wrote:
By the time someone hits level 50 they should have some slightest clue as to how to play their job right?

Apparently leveling as a tank in this game is so ridiculously easy that some people can't be bothered to learn some of the simpler mechanics. I just had to leave three level 50 dungeons in a row because each tank was so entirely clueless it was a wonder they had made it out of their very first dungeon.

Marking an enemy should be a simple matter right? Each and every time none of these people could be bothered to toss out even a single mark on their focused target. I ended up having to assume the initial target they pulled each time was their focus and half of the time they would suddenly switch targets a few seconds in and the mob starts running after whichever DD had started to build the most hate.

That brings us into afk tanking. In what world is this considered even slightly appropriate? Each time I or another DD would end up on the wrong mob and pull hate the tank wouldn't budge an inch. At first I figure that they're just focused on the other mob but then when that one too goes running after someone each tank was left staring off into space while everyone else is kiting around the room or spamming cures for the next minute or two until the tank realized there was nothing in front of them anymore.

SE seriously needs to look at the balance of this game and how easily tank jobs are getting pushed along that people can get as far as they have without having a clue or even really caring about how they're playing.


You make some good points, but part of your rant isn't realistic. Players can level their own way which means maybe they barely tanked dungeons. All you need is quest XP and fates. The only dungeons would be for story mode and that's where I have to agree somewhat. On the other hand, I don't see how marking though the early dungeons is that big of a deal. Most of the trash mobs can be tanked by a DD anyways. I really don't want to hear what's most efficient in your mind either. The bottom line is people leveled differently than you and their experiences are different too. You have expectations of what a tank must do. Well in my opinion, all they must do is hold hate. All marking does is make it easier for a DD to transfer from mob to mob. If a tank says left to right order, you don't need to mark a **** thing.

Why should the tank budge an inch if you attack the wrong mob? Flash or other AoE tools will bring it back to them if you've got off the target. Do you watch the HP bar at all? If I'm not sure what mob to attack, I don't use a WS until the bar drops by a hair. You can blame the tanks all you want, but I think people prefer the marks so they can be lazy. By lazy, I mean not looking out for adds or doing anything else except killing 1, 2, 3, etc. Communication is important and that's where you're right. It doesn't seem like you cared to communicate though. You said this tank sucks and left leaving more people to deal with another rotten egg that doesn't communicate.

Edited, Sep 11th 2013 1:43pm by ShadowedgeFFXI
#14 Sep 11 2013 at 12:44 PM Rating: Decent
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,536 posts
Jeskradha wrote:
LucasNox wrote:
Don't expect a PS3 player to use a whole bunch of marks though. Maybe just one mark for what they're currently attacking. They're much more limited in button space.



One of my good friends tanks on a PS3, he marks every mob (1,2,3) plus ones that need to be CC and he does it quite effectively, so I really doubt the problem is them being a PS3 player, more likely they are just lazy or not that smart to begin with.


I did not say that, LucasNox did. Please edit your post :)

I was explaining how it was not hard to use marks on the PS3 using the controller since there is a shortcut premapped.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#15 Sep 11 2013 at 12:45 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,214 posts
My only complaint about the Marking thing is two fold... (Yeah, I know I did that).

Marking is much slower, and cumbersome in dungeons than assisting. Having been required to do dynamis as a kiter/dd in 11, we knew to have our /assist macros created. And this prevented mis-targets and also stopped people from attacking before the tank.

This also works well in the fact that as tank, I switch to the next mob before the last one is dead. Marking requires that I attempt to find the one I marked as #2 and attack it. And while there are "Cute" dds that think they are going to get a leg up on parsing (yeah, they are back already in full force), so they attack the mob with full health before I even have time to properly start hitting.

With 2-3 mob groups, from a tanking perspective (and tanks have ALOT to think about), Marking is HIGHLY error prone, slows down combat, and results in frustration (you are not marking fast enough, we should be attacking mob x first), or worse, DDs just decide to ignore marks, or go in and attack the moment you mark the first mob.

So, my question is, for those who are so obsessed with tanks marking trash mobs, why are you not using /assist? This solves your problem and speeds up the fighting. This allows the mage to easily sleep adds (/assist then off-target and sleep, you will return to the main target, then off-target and sleep).

Which is basically how I mark, and I do play on a controller. Since I haven't made it to 50 yet, I haven't bothered setting up any of my macros, as I don't have access to 1/2 my abilities, and haven't settled into which abilities work best with what...

My only real thought is, if your tank doesn't mark /assist... If your tank does mark... /assist anyways. No problems, and everyone is happy and fighting the same thing...
#16 Sep 11 2013 at 12:46 PM Rating: Decent
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,536 posts
LucasNox wrote:
Jeskradha wrote:
TirithRR wrote:
Don't expect a PS3 player to use a whole bunch of marks though. Maybe just one mark for what they're currently attacking. They're much more limited in button space.



One of my good friends tanks on a PS3, he marks every mob (1,2,3) plus ones that need to be CC and he does it quite effectively, so I really doubt the problem is them being a PS3 player, more likely they are just lazy or not that smart to begin with.


I'm not saying it's impossible - I use a 360 controller on PC and I use marks at all times. I just wouldn't expect it from random folk, because things are crammed on the crossbars.


You don't need to use the crossbar hotkeys for marking. The Marking menu has a shortcut. Press X on your controller while targeting something.

Edited, Sep 11th 2013 2:46pm by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#17 Sep 11 2013 at 12:47 PM Rating: Good
**
337 posts
I know you can mark by pressing X, but it takes a bit too long for dungeon running in my opinion.
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn
Lucas Nox on Midgardsormr
#18 Sep 11 2013 at 12:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,526 posts
If they are coming from FFXI they probably don't realize you can or should mark mobs.

Keep in mind FFXI fights were typically 1-1 tanking. Old school dynamis you would have off-tanks/sleep for the adds and there was no marking capability. Everyone had to know their job going in or you discussed kill order in chat. This is a very different environment/playstyle for those people.

Heck I didn't even realize my MRD was a tank until I started getting abilities that boosted enmity. I was treating it like a DRK (though I figured it out WAY before any group play.) All my bonus points are in STR :).
#19 Sep 11 2013 at 12:49 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
PlanckZero wrote:
By the time someone hits level 50 they should have some slightest clue as to how to play their job right?

Marking an enemy should be a simple matter right? Each and every time none of these people could be bothered to toss out even a single mark on their focused target. I ended up having to assume the initial target they pulled each time was their focus and half of the time they would suddenly switch targets a few seconds in and the mob starts running after whichever DD had started to build the most hate.



Thank Eorzea for AOE sleep.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#20 Sep 11 2013 at 1:01 PM Rating: Decent
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,536 posts
LucasNox wrote:
I know you can mark by pressing X, but it takes a bit too long for dungeon running in my opinion.


Only takes a few seconds to mark a group of 3-5 enemies using the X shortcut. Once you know it's there is not much worse than click targeting and hitting a different hotkey using a mouse/kb. It's not like you'd be in a huge rush to get them all marked in 2 seconds instead of 5 seconds.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#21 Sep 11 2013 at 1:05 PM Rating: Decent
**
589 posts
Yodabunny wrote:
If they are coming from FFXI they probably don't realize you can or should mark mobs.

Keep in mind FFXI fights were typically 1-1 tanking. Old school dynamis you would have off-tanks/sleep for the adds and there was no marking capability. Everyone had to know their job going in or you discussed kill order in chat. This is a very different environment/playstyle for those people.

Heck I didn't even realize my MRD was a tank until I started getting abilities that boosted enmity. I was treating it like a DRK (though I figured it out WAY before any group play.) All my bonus points are in STR :).


Not only the bolded part but if they are new to MMOs in general you could say the same thing. OP you had the luxsiere of playing games that let you mark mobs. Not everyone has esp those that have only played FFXI
#22 Sep 11 2013 at 1:44 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,166 posts
expecting people to just know things is always going to get you into to trouble, and marking is a perfect example.

very very few people you party with are going to have multiple jobs >30 at this time, and since the only person who should be throwing out marks without being asked to is the tank, exactly when would a person who only ever tanks have seen them?

I've never had a tank that wasn't marking already that also knew how to do it when I asked, and only one didn't do it after it was explained.

Did you explain to these three what they could do to make fights go smoother? If not(and your post gives no indication you did) you just showed how they got to 50 without knowing these things you think are so key to the class. The other healers and DDs they partied with, instead of pulling them aside and offering tips(assuming they even knew them), went off and complained to their FC/LS/forum-of-choice while those three just kept getting xp, slower than optimal but still some, and reached the point their at.

tl;dr never assume people know everything you know unless you just told them. In two years you can whine about someone at cap who doesn't know how to play their class optimally, not two weeks after the game's release.
____________________________
"A women almost bit off her husband's ***** while he was making pancakes in the morning." ~ Lewis black-Anticipation

A Complete History Of The Soviet Union Through The Eyes Of A Humble Worker, Arranged To The Melody Of Tetris~~http://bit.ly/aPlx8C

Miklar Lorent ~ http://odinseinherjar.guildwork.com/
#23 Sep 11 2013 at 2:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,658 posts
Instead of a hundred threads bashing tanks why dont some of you guys tank instead of complaining about them. Maybe this is why there are so few tanks out there.

Honestly if anything is going to kill this game it is having no tanks and having a duty finder that requires them.

Edited, Sep 11th 2013 4:24pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#24MitArgento, Posted: Sep 11 2013 at 2:27 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) theres also the ones that because they FATE grind their way to 50, when they do need to tank, they can`t do it properly.
#25 Sep 11 2013 at 2:30 PM Rating: Good
**
589 posts
Nashred wrote:
Instead of a hundred threads bashing tanks why dont some of you guys tank instead of complaining about them. Maybe this is why there are so few tanks out there.

Honestly if anything is going to kill this game it is having no tanks and having a duty finder that requires them.

Edited, Sep 11th 2013 4:24pm by Nashred


This is kinda my plan. I already have both tank jobs at 50 but I got those levels in 1.0. Now its a different ball game and I'm going to do each dungeon from 15 on up just to get acclimated to 2.0
#26 Sep 11 2013 at 2:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
love those insta-pop queues on PLD...makes me almost never want to do runs on DRG...almost. Tanking is one kind of fun, and DPSing is another kind entirely.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#27 Sep 11 2013 at 2:47 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,214 posts
Just to give you a word of warning. Going back and revisiting dungeons does not give you the experience it appears that you are looking for.

The biggest issue I found while going through the dungeons is the fact that abilities and skills shift and become available in a rather interesting way.

First, you need to keep in mind that you want to setup your macros and ability bar to reflect abilities available at level.

Then, and this is the part that is one that I tend to have issues with, is that you need to select your cross class abilities based on priority as you level. Lower level dungeons give you far less abilities than level 50, but, your cross class abilities are not level limited. That means, you can use, for example, Raise, Protect, or Stoneskin before White Mage can. These requirements change with the Party really. Typically I go with Bloodbath, and Awareness (I believe) for low level, and after 30~40 I have Cure and Raise in there somewhere, and the last ability I add is Protect. But that really is just for me (Solo).

And be forwarned, if you thought that tanks not marking was bad, wait until you have DDs that attack anything that moves, and pull... Or party members just running in random directions...
#28 Sep 11 2013 at 2:50 PM Rating: Decent
**
589 posts
rfolkker wrote:
Just to give you a word of warning. Going back and revisiting dungeons does not give you the experience it appears that you are looking for.

The biggest issue I found while going through the dungeons is the fact that abilities and skills shift and become available in a rather interesting way.

First, you need to keep in mind that you want to setup your macros and ability bar to reflect abilities available at level.

Then, and this is the part that is one that I tend to have issues with, is that you need to select your cross class abilities based on priority as you level. Lower level dungeons give you far less abilities than level 50, but, your cross class abilities are not level limited. That means, you can use, for example, Raise, Protect, or Stoneskin before White Mage can. These requirements change with the Party really. Typically I go with Bloodbath, and Awareness (I believe) for low level, and after 30~40 I have Cure and Raise in there somewhere, and the last ability I add is Protect. But that really is just for me (Solo).

And be forwarned, if you thought that tanks not marking was bad, wait until you have DDs that attack anything that moves, and pull... Or party members just running in random directions...


I understand and expect all of that lol. Should be an interesting ride. Also plan on taking LS/FC people first before pugs.
#29 Sep 11 2013 at 5:36 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
63 posts
PlanckZero wrote:
By the time someone hits level 50 they should have some slightest clue as to how to play their job right?

Apparently leveling as a tank in this game is so ridiculously easy that some people can't be bothered to learn some of the simpler mechanics. I just had to leave three level 50 dungeons in a row because each tank was so entirely clueless it was a wonder they had made it out of their very first dungeon.

Marking an enemy should be a simple matter right? Each and every time none of these people could be bothered to toss out even a single mark on their focused target. I ended up having to assume the initial target they pulled each time was their focus and half of the time they would suddenly switch targets a few seconds in and the mob starts running after whichever DD had started to build the most hate.

That brings us into afk tanking. In what world is this considered even slightly appropriate? Each time I or another DD would end up on the wrong mob and pull hate the tank wouldn't budge an inch. At first I figure that they're just focused on the other mob but then when that one too goes running after someone each tank was left staring off into space while everyone else is kiting around the room or spamming cures for the next minute or two until the tank realized there was nothing in front of them anymore.

SE seriously needs to look at the balance of this game and how easily tank jobs are getting pushed along that people can get as far as they have without having a clue or even really caring about how they're playing.


There are plenty of dungeons that can be fairly difficult prior to 50 that can cause Tanks to step up as far as skills go.

I play on a PS3 and mark whenever I deem necessary. I have marking on my hotbar ready to use at anytime. I consider myself fortunate when I'm with a DD that understands to hit my target, yet more often than not, I have a mage who not only likes to pull, but also starts attacking other targets. Being a PLD, I find myself having to switch targets just to keep the hate of the 3+ mobs I happen to be taking on and it can be a little difficult at times, but I do the best I can.

I usually have to remind people not to pull or attack other targets so the fights go smoothly for the Healer and myself. But I don't think a lot of people realize that when they're not the tank. At the end of the day, communication will be your best friend and if people are unable to comply with strategies? That's when you find a new group to run with.
____________________________
FFXIV: Fat Chocobro (Balmung) Level 50 WHM, SCH, BLM, PLD -- MIN, GSM,
FFXIV: Fat Chocobro (Siren) MNK: 21
#30 Sep 11 2013 at 5:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
Giving the tank tips like I'm about to give you would be a good idea instead of leaving them in the dust. If everyone does as you did, how do you expect them to learn?

For you first question regarding marking: did you realize there is a special marking macro already preset for you in the Macro menu? I tell every tank who has trouble with marking this and things go so much smoother after.

It clearly states what the tank is targeting in party chat "Attack <t>!" and assigns the #1 mark to that current target (so you don't have to spend time marking 1, 2, 3, 4... every time).

As for 'AFK' tank...suggest ways to improve their rotation to generate more enmity. Some tanks are so focused on their target that they will neglect other targets. For instance, I know even the best tanks I've played with have gotten distracted on very large bosses (like the last one in Aurum Vale) and have not realized that their healer was getting whacked by mini malboros. It happens.

And if it continually happens, make suggestions to the tank or watch your own enmity bar. You do know you have one right? If you're pulling aggro, even with an AFK tank, you have no one to blame but yourself. You know exactly when the mob will turn to you and start whacking you.

I'm not defending bad tanks, though. There are some really bad ones that refuse to take advice. But most of the ones I've run into seem to get really frustrated with tanking because it seems like a daunting task to them. It is if it's your first time, I guess. To me, though, it's just another role. To you, it's just another role. So help them see that their job isn't as hard as they think and you'll have a better time.

TLDR: Have patience and explain things to people.

Edited, Sep 11th 2013 7:47pm by HitomeOfBismarck
#31 Sep 11 2013 at 6:52 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
It's really acceptable for the DD to do the marking. Or the healer. Caster first is all you need to know to mark for a majority of encounters.

If you mark the mobs as DD generally the tank will follow your lead, easy way to help a player new to the tank role.
#32 Sep 11 2013 at 7:11 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
72 posts
MitArgento wrote:
Quote:
theres also the ones that because they FATE grind their way to 50, when they do need to tank, they can`t do it properly.


This. I've seen Fate thrown around a lot as the prime excuse to why tanks get to 50 and have no clue. Logically, it makes sense, but is not a definitive reason they suck (at 50). My point being, if you are going to play a tank, or healer, and dd for that matter, learn how to play your class before wasting other peoples time in dungeons. I could care less if you Fate'd your way to 50. Don't come crawling into the duty finder without even a semblance of how to preform the basic functions of your job.

I think, based of what I'm reading here, is that, although polite, some of you are enabling these types of tanks with excuses. From level 1 to 50, I understand they are learning, which is fine and acceptable. But at 50? Learn your role or don't queue. Take some time out to practice aggro management, read tanking guides, ect. I have no sympathy for a lvl 50 tank that is clueless.

I am a tank myself and would be flat out embarrassed to lolly gag my way into end game content without being on point. If anything, the tank the OP is referring to should be ashamed of himself.

Edited, Sep 11th 2013 9:13pm by SistinasAria
#33 Sep 11 2013 at 7:16 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
150 posts
Most pulls its obvious. You have one big mob that does aoe, him first, then whatever mini guys next.

Some pulls its a must, or if your healers pet flings a mob into another pack but still refuses to put the **** pet away.

I think its more awareness that's the largest tank issue. Ok, the healer is healing you and building hate, don't just hit the first mob and ignore the others in the pack and then yell at the healer for pulling agro, or ignoring that mob to tech him a lesson...that's the most common facepalm I see out of tanks.

Also...LOSing range mobs...and pulling packs...literally pulling them...far enough back so that a PAT isn't an issue, or that DPS who needs to attack from behind doesn't risk aggroing new mobs.

Just be aware, and when you see a mob parting and going to range...stop what you are doing and grab it...that is your job.

I see a lot of bad everything...healers is hard for me to judge since I stay away from that role in all games...but when I see a monk or drg and they stand in one spot and I see their skills going off that require positioning...or I see them blatantly ignoring assist tank or marked mobs...I want to say something but you just cant tell these people anything without them trying to either call you out on something for revenge, no matter how stupid the attempt is, or getting uber upset and leaving.
#34 Sep 11 2013 at 7:18 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
123 posts
I usually mark on my bard if the tank doesn't do it. I tend to ignore the auto-translate function since my bard is on a JP server lol.
____________________________
Final Fantasy Radio
http://finalfantasyradio.co/
Amestra Blackoak Ultros Server
The Kraken Club

#35 Sep 11 2013 at 7:23 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
495 posts
SistinasAria wrote:
MitArgento wrote:
Quote:
theres also the ones that because they FATE grind their way to 50, when they do need to tank, they can`t do it properly.


This. I've seen Fate thrown around a lot as the prime excuse to why tanks get to 50 and have no clue. Logically, it makes sense, but is not a definitive reason they suck (at 50). My point being, if you are going to play a tank, or healer, and dd for that matter, learn how to play your class before wasting other peoples time in dungeons. I could care less if you Fate'd your way to 50. Don't come crawling into the duty finder without even a semblance of how to preform the basic functions of your job.

I think, based of what I'm reading here, is that, although polite, some of you are enabling these types of tanks with excuses. From level 1 to 50, I understand they are learning, which is fine and acceptable. But at 50? Learn your role or don't queue. Take some time out to practice aggro management, read tanking guides, ect. I have no sympathy for a lvl 50 tank that is clueless.

I am a tank myself and would be flat out embarrassed to lolly gag my way into end game content without being on point. If anything, the tank the OP is referring to should be ashamed of himself.

Edited, Sep 11th 2013 9:13pm by SistinasAria



Although I agree with you that people should know how their job performs in a party by the time they hit 50, I disagree with your attitude. Just because you're level 50 doesn't mean you know every single strategy for every single fight. Not only that, you can't be upset when things just flat out go wrong sometimes - especially if it's your tank's first time doing the fight/dungeon/whatever.

Educate, don't criticize.
____________________________
FFXI ~ Ifrit: Rollon (Retired)
90MNK|76BRD|76BST|75WAR|75DRG|63BLM|63PUP|44RNG|41NIN||36WHM|34SAM|23RDM|19PLD
Rank: 10

FFXIV ~ Cactaur: Rollon Rylan
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2311793/
#36 Sep 11 2013 at 7:34 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Zicash wrote:
Although I agree with you that people should know how their job performs in a party by the time they hit 50, I disagree with your attitude. Just because you're level 50 doesn't mean you know every single strategy for every single fight. Not only that, you can't be upset when things just flat out go wrong sometimes - especially if it's your tank's first time doing the fight/dungeon/whatever.

Educate, don't criticize.


I don't think anyone's just talking about boss fights. You can go into any new dungeon as a tank and you shouldn't have a problem tanking trash and bosses with simple mechanics. Of course it's a different matter when a tank doesn't know the strategy of a particular tricky boss. People have every right to be annoyed when someone can't perform the baseline functions of tanking by level 50.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#37 Sep 11 2013 at 7:36 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,649 posts
What level 50 dungeon is this?

In Amdaphor's Keep and Wanderer's Palace. Speedrunning is so commonplace that having to mark stuff is a non-issue because you aren't killing trash anyway. Castrum and Praetorium is an 8-man *********** with AoEs everywhere. You can literally spam Flash/Overpower on everything and not have any issues since everything dies so fast. Castrum is even easier since Cannons exist.
____________________________

#38 Sep 11 2013 at 7:53 PM Rating: Good
Strangerous wrote:
...but when I see a monk or drg and they stand in one spot and I see their skills going off that require positioning...or I see them blatantly ignoring assist tank or marked mobs...I want to say something but you just cant tell these people anything without them trying to either call you out on something for revenge, no matter how stupid the attempt is, or getting uber upset and leaving.


True. Friggin. Story.

I would love to run into some of these players that people describe as being very open to advice. I had a MRD tank in Cutter's Cry the other day who literally ran non-stop around mobs the entire fight, constantly spinning the mob's position. As a DRG, it was a pain in my **** trying to get Disembowel and Heavy Thrust off unless there was an AOE attack. I asked him twice why he was running in circles and got no response, then the third time I got "I have to move around to stay alive. You just need to learn to move and damage, it's not that hard bro." When we got to the next boss (the antilon) he says "Perfect, it's high time you learned to move and damage."

Excuse me, Mr D-bag, I know how to "move and damage." If I wanted to be a tool like you, I would just spam my damage combo to Full Thrust and call it a day. It's the position-based buff combos that are near impossible with you running around like a jackalope and waking all the blm's slept mobs with constant Overpower spam.

/rant off, but what it comes down to is there are a lot of keyboard commandos out there who don't want to listen, enough to be considered their own group, thus causing these types of threads.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#39 Sep 11 2013 at 7:58 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
27 posts
I have to be honest... In my first tanking dungeon I had no idea about marking. It was brayflox and the Mage yelled at me to mark the pelican boss spawns. Since I didn't know about marking or have them keybound, I asked the mage if they could mark.

After the dungeon, I fooled around in settings, found marks and keybinded them on the numpad.

Both of my tank jobs were 50 since I was 1.0 legacy, but I went through all the dungeons to relearn the new abilities and get back in the tanking mode.

I assume a lot of higher end tanks either spammed fates or fast tracked the storyline and never really relearned the job.
#40 Sep 11 2013 at 8:01 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
787 posts
It's a sad state when our 8 man team had to work with a L.50 tank who complained after the first trash encounter by saying "....how the **** am I supposed to handle all the mobs?". Then starts cursing us out for being noobs and then rage quits. We were all pretty much in shock over this whole situation. I personally never seen a player in any MMORPG who didn't understand their class/job basic skills.

But let's not pick on the tanks. There are issues with all sorts of players and their play styles. This evening before rather maintenance, we had two WHM on our team. The second one thought it would be cute to spam Holy on the first double pull of trash mobs. Just rushes in, starts spamming and dies. Unbelievable.
#41 Sep 11 2013 at 8:07 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
SistinasAria wrote:
MitArgento wrote:
Quote:
theres also the ones that because they FATE grind their way to 50, when they do need to tank, they can`t do it properly.


This. I've seen Fate thrown around a lot as the prime excuse to why tanks get to 50 and have no clue. Logically, it makes sense, but is not a definitive reason they suck (at 50). My point being, if you are going to play a tank, or healer, and dd for that matter, learn how to play your class before wasting other peoples time in dungeons. I could care less if you Fate'd your way to 50. Don't come crawling into the duty finder without even a semblance of how to preform the basic functions of your job.

I think, based of what I'm reading here, is that, although polite, some of you are enabling these types of tanks with excuses. From level 1 to 50, I understand they are learning, which is fine and acceptable. But at 50? Learn your role or don't queue. Take some time out to practice aggro management, read tanking guides, ect. I have no sympathy for a lvl 50 tank that is clueless.

I am a tank myself and would be flat out embarrassed to lolly gag my way into end game content without being on point. If anything, the tank the OP is referring to should be ashamed of himself.

Edited, Sep 11th 2013 9:13pm by SistinasAria


How are you going to practice aggro management solo, dear? :D
#42 Sep 11 2013 at 8:34 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
5 posts
Before I say what I want to say, I want it to be known that this is my personal opinion, please no hate...

As far as targeting goes, I honestly think that the Healer should be assigned that task, lets be real, tanking in this game is somewhat difficult, unless your a semi skilled player with the tank, pulling aggro in this game can be tricky but with the WAR and PLD AoE attacks being used properly most of the issues with aggro can be avoided. On the other hand a healer has a good 30 to 60 seconds of time to waste before having to heal the tank, and if you don't have that much time, your tank is probably not that good.

As far as "afk tanking", I think most people can agree that's stupid. Anyone who is going to do that shouldn't be playing this game in the first place, they should be playing MMO's like Angels Online. (Angels Online is a good game though)

A tank in this game should be watching all mobs at all times, when one is not hitting you and attacking one of your other party members you need to hit it a couple times, provoke it, AoE it, whatever it, to get it to hit you again. The tanks your referring to probably aren't good at their role, you should try looking for people/friends who do know that role and can party with you for end game dungeons and what not.

The only balance issue I can see, is that the tanks don't earn a lot of enmity with there AoE abilities. I would like to see a higher value of it because sometimes I'm having to use my AoE 3 to 5 times during a mob fight in any dungeon just to keep them all on me.

Edited, Sep 11th 2013 10:39pm by NatoKenichi
____________________________
Server: Malboro (NA)
Name: Bloo Coast
#43 Sep 11 2013 at 8:49 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I disagree only because you can mark targets on mobs before you engage them, and also the tank has to absolutely be the first one to engage a monster. If a healer set the target markers instead of the tank, the tank would lose some of the tactical abilities (e.g. changing a number on the fly, ignoring the numbers to keep hate, etc.) I think it'd work if the healer and the tank were connected via Skype, but if they're having to communicate via text it's a major roadblock and the role should just stay with the tank to begin with.

Edited, Sep 11th 2013 10:49pm by Catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#44 Sep 11 2013 at 9:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Don't forget that a lot of people were level 50 in 1.0 and they are now playing a totally different game with different mechanics. They could literally be playing for their first time and have several level 50 Jobs. They probably tested out some things for a few minutes and hopped on in to "learn on the fly".
#45 Sep 11 2013 at 9:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
6,269 posts
Complaining about noobs in a game that just came out. Priceless.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#46 Sep 11 2013 at 9:29 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
239 posts
rfolkker wrote:
My only complaint about the Marking thing is two fold... (Yeah, I know I did that).

Marking is much slower, and cumbersome in dungeons than assisting. Having been required to do dynamis as a kiter/dd in 11, we knew to have our /assist macros created. And this prevented mis-targets and also stopped people from attacking before the tank.

This also works well in the fact that as tank, I switch to the next mob before the last one is dead. Marking requires that I attempt to find the one I marked as #2 and attack it. And while there are "Cute" dds that think they are going to get a leg up on parsing (yeah, they are back already in full force), so they attack the mob with full health before I even have time to properly start hitting.

With 2-3 mob groups, from a tanking perspective (and tanks have ALOT to think about), Marking is HIGHLY error prone, slows down combat, and results in frustration (you are not marking fast enough, we should be attacking mob x first), or worse, DDs just decide to ignore marks, or go in and attack the moment you mark the first mob.

So, my question is, for those who are so obsessed with tanks marking trash mobs, why are you not using /assist? This solves your problem and speeds up the fighting. This allows the mage to easily sleep adds (/assist then off-target and sleep, you will return to the main target, then off-target and sleep).

Which is basically how I mark, and I do play on a controller. Since I haven't made it to 50 yet, I haven't bothered setting up any of my macros, as I don't have access to 1/2 my abilities, and haven't settled into which abilities work best with what...

My only real thought is, if your tank doesn't mark /assist... If your tank does mark... /assist anyways. No problems, and everyone is happy and fighting the same thing...


Marking is nice, I tend to do it just so things do go smoother. You guys realize you can setup a mark macro in you WS button right. I have "Mark 1" on my Tomahawk macro, so the first pull I do they burn down, then when it is dead I switch targets and Tomahawk him and he is marked. No extra involved time and helps th run go smooth.
____________________________
Quote:
WAR has access to enough enmity gear and enough hate-inducing JA to aggro baby jesus.


Quote:
When I'm trying to decide what spell to cast I look at the mobs' weaknesses, check the day, check the weather and then calmly cast Thunder IV.
#47 Sep 11 2013 at 9:36 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
135 posts
I'll switch a target to gain aggro from that enemy which is probably what other tanks are doing as well, and as other tanks have mentioned, marking does slow down the dungeon run, however, since it seems to be so offensive for others, I'll be sure to mark from now on. Usually, after all enemies are aggro'd, I'll start focusing on the enemy the DD is attacking and that's if he isn't already attacking the enemy I was focused on.

Edited, Sep 11th 2013 11:56pm by OhimeKowai
____________________________
Ultros:

Va'lah Dreadnought
ZAM's Ultros Linkshell Forum Karma Zameleons

This tank likes to nerd-aggro on the forums. Tomahawk--GO!
#48 Sep 11 2013 at 9:42 PM Rating: Good
Party Pooper
*****
12,232 posts
Marking, while (kind of) nice, really isn't a big issue if the DPS pays even the remotest bit of attention.
____________________________
[sm]FFXI: Flix 75THF/RNG/NIN/WAR/MNK/DRK/SAM/DRG/BLM Retired: Sept 2009.
SW:TOR Maim (Assassin) Sai'kou (Sniper) GM: Ultimatum. Retired: When 1.2 failed miserably.
FFXIV: Flix Skyfall (Behemoth) 50BRD: River of Blood for dayzzzzzz


#49 Sep 11 2013 at 9:56 PM Rating: Decent
**
598 posts
FlixEffect wrote:
Marking, while (kind of) nice, really isn't a big issue if the DPS pays even the remotest bit of attention.



As a melee dd it's all about paying attention. True.

But once those AOE's starting nuking. Becomes a slower game. Just to add that perspective. Sometimes it takes a few seconds longer to get on page.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#50 Sep 11 2013 at 10:08 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I don't think that every mob needs to be marked. But it's quite helpful when you're facing a minor boss or an area that has a crapton of trash mobs guarding a door, object, etc.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#51 Sep 11 2013 at 10:29 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
5 posts
To Catwho, I do agree that the tank and healer being connected somehow would make things a lot simpler for everyone, Maybe people should start using things like Team Speak or Ventrilo more often. I still don't agree with the tank having to target first, I can understand targeting before entering battle but it makes the dungeon crawl faster if you can let the tank start their pull and aggro regimen on the mobs and the healer standing by, mark the targets properly, 1 would always be the mob the tank is hitting first, and after that the tank should be able to manage the rest.
____________________________
Server: Malboro (NA)
Name: Bloo Coast
« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 68 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (68)