Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

No more speed running AKFollow

#1 Sep 12 2013 at 11:17 AM Rating: Decent
*
249 posts
No maybe we wont get douche tanks or healers who drop df because the pug group isnt speedrunning.
#2 Sep 12 2013 at 11:20 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
237 posts
I really don't think this will stop some people from being douchey...it might stop them for being douchey about speed runs though...but somehow I doubt that too.
____________________________
FFXIV - Ultros Server - Jaggars Oliana
FC: The Kraken Club <ZAM>
#3 Sep 12 2013 at 12:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Which change was made that prevents speed runs?
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#4 Sep 12 2013 at 12:16 PM Rating: Good
*
81 posts
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/0925caac86d708753315db5405ebe450663fde03

Quote:
-Changes have been made to the behavior and mechanics of the enemies found within the “The Wanderer’s Palace” and “Amdapor Keep” dungeons to counteract instances of players running through the dungeon without engaging enemies on the way to bosses.
As advancing through dungeons without defeating enemies is not an intended strategy, we plan to continue making further changes in the future to discourage this type of behavior.
#5 Sep 12 2013 at 12:23 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,004 posts
I think what they should do is to add a penalty for dropping DF. Say, a 15 minute timer to search for the same duty you dropped. That way people will be less inclined to drop. Besides, eventualy the majority of people will have finished the story, so this wont be an issue. These people wanting to do speedruns should make their own party or just deal with it. Asking someone to skip their CS because your impatient is pretty rude, especially when your using the public matchmaking. End game isnt going anywhere.
#6 Sep 12 2013 at 12:27 PM Rating: Excellent
**
337 posts
Keysofgaruda wrote:
I think what they should do is to add a penalty for dropping DF. Say, a 15 minute timer to search for the same duty you dropped. That way people will be less inclined to drop.


That is the penalty.
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn
Lucas Nox on Midgardsormr
#7 Sep 12 2013 at 12:33 PM Rating: Good
*
220 posts
LucasNox wrote:
Keysofgaruda wrote:
I think what they should do is to add a penalty for dropping DF. Say, a 15 minute timer to search for the same duty you dropped. That way people will be less inclined to drop.


That is the penalty.


Hahaha that was good, but I'm glad because it proves at least you've never dropped :)

Edited, Sep 12th 2013 2:33pm by SyniteonReflux
#8 Sep 12 2013 at 12:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Are the story cutscenes 15 minutes long? If not, then what is te mathematical advantage to dropping a pt because someone is watching cutscenes?
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#9 Sep 12 2013 at 12:44 PM Rating: Good
SyniteonReflux wrote:
LucasNox wrote:
Keysofgaruda wrote:
I think what they should do is to add a penalty for dropping DF. Say, a 15 minute timer to search for the same duty you dropped. That way people will be less inclined to drop.


That is the penalty.


Hahaha that was good, but I'm glad because it proves at least you've never dropped :)

Edited, Sep 12th 2013 2:33pm by SyniteonReflux

Lol, I didnt know that either. I've never dropped out intentially, however I got kicked from the Ifrit fight my first time... I was like OMG!!! but when I logged back in I was in the same party and they thanked me for coming back. What a great feature in the DF
____________________________
FFXIV Character, Trixi Athensa
[ffxisig]199948[/ffxisig]
#10 Sep 12 2013 at 12:45 PM Rating: Excellent
**
337 posts
SyniteonReflux wrote:
LucasNox wrote:
Keysofgaruda wrote:
I think what they should do is to add a penalty for dropping DF. Say, a 15 minute timer to search for the same duty you dropped. That way people will be less inclined to drop.


That is the penalty.


Hahaha that was good, but I'm glad because it proves at least you've never dropped :)

Edited, Sep 12th 2013 2:33pm by SyniteonReflux


I know because I had to drop out of Haukke Manor when our mini-boss got glitched. I doubt I would just bail.
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn
Lucas Nox on Midgardsormr
#11 Sep 12 2013 at 2:17 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
**
362 posts
Thayos wrote:
Are the story cutscenes 15 minutes long? If not, then what is te mathematical advantage to dropping a pt because someone is watching cutscenes?

There isn't one, but people will cut off their noses just to be a-holes, because that'll show em!
____________________________
Anakte Grey
BLM 50 SMN/SCH 50 WHM 40
MRD 26 DRG 30 MNK 30 GLA 25

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/416469141_Vt5aq-XL-2.jpg
#12 Sep 12 2013 at 2:41 PM Rating: Excellent
*
109 posts
Good. Speed runs sucked in GW2 and they still suck now.
#13 Sep 12 2013 at 2:48 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Keysofgaruda wrote:
I think what they should do is to add a penalty for dropping DF. Say, a 15 minute timer to search for the same duty you dropped. That way people will be less inclined to drop. Besides, eventualy the majority of people will have finished the story, so this wont be an issue. These people wanting to do speedruns should make their own party or just deal with it. Asking someone to skip their CS because your impatient is pretty rude, especially when your using the public matchmaking. End game isnt going anywhere.


Again, only an issue if the party literally does not have enough time to finish the quest (i.e 15 minutes to beat all forms of Ultima). Otherwise, totally acceptable.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#14 Sep 12 2013 at 2:49 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Anakte wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Are the story cutscenes 15 minutes long? If not, then what is te mathematical advantage to dropping a pt because someone is watching cutscenes?

There isn't one, but people will cut off their noses just to be a-holes, because that'll show em!


Really upsetting as DD to wait so long in DF to have the healer drop because the pal is not skipping cs.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#15 Sep 12 2013 at 3:06 PM Rating: Excellent
I will watch cutscenes when I get to that point on my tank, but then I'll contribute to the greater good by sometimes queueing up for dungeon runs already in progress (which I did the other day, and got a sweet new lvl 23 sword).
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#16 Sep 12 2013 at 3:06 PM Rating: Decent
Guru
Avatar
**
362 posts
I'm sure it's upsetting as DD for any tank or healer to drop for any reason, it doesn't change the logic that they'll have to wait longer for the disconnect than the person watching the cut scene. Now that I've finished the storyline instances I really can't accept anyone getting so angry over it that they disconnect, they're not that long, I've been in runs with wipes, had plenty of time to finish, and it sounds like the ONLY thing causing issues is the people actually bickering.
____________________________
Anakte Grey
BLM 50 SMN/SCH 50 WHM 40
MRD 26 DRG 30 MNK 30 GLA 25

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/416469141_Vt5aq-XL-2.jpg
#17 Sep 12 2013 at 3:15 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Thayos wrote:
I will watch cutscenes when I get to that point on my tank, but then I'll contribute to the greater good by sometimes queueing up for dungeon runs already in progress (which I did the other day, and got a sweet new lvl 23 sword).


I do that too, sometimes you get in right at the end and get credit Smiley: grin
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#18 Sep 12 2013 at 4:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
According to people, you can still speedrun. Takes 5-10 more mins then usual (kill the last group of mobs before boss door), but otherwise still doable.

Not that I have been able to get into AK. All attempts to get in instance bombed my pt (and others) with 9000 error last night.
____________________________




#19 Sep 12 2013 at 5:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
According to people, you can still speedrun. Takes 5-10 more mins then usual (kill the last group of mobs before boss door), but otherwise still doable.


I haven't done this dungeon yet, but it sounds like they need to change monster behavior in the dungeon so that mobs don't lose agro, and you have to kill all mobs with agro before you can proceed to the end.

If people don't cool it with speed runs, then this is probably what's coming. Yoshi-P has made it pretty clear that speed runs were not intended.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#20 Sep 12 2013 at 5:35 PM Rating: Default
*
249 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
According to people, you can still speedrun. Takes 5-10 more mins then usual (kill the last group of mobs before boss door), but otherwise still doable.


I haven't done this dungeon yet, but it sounds like they need to change monster behavior in the dungeon so that mobs don't lose agro, and you have to kill all mobs with agro before you can proceed to the end.

If people don't cool it with speed runs, then this is probably what's coming. Yoshi-P has made it pretty clear that speed runs were not intended.

Actually Id expect mass bans if it keeps up, this is SEs warning
#21 Sep 12 2013 at 5:54 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
I sincerely doubt it. Apart from the Heal exploit at the very beginning of 1.0 there has not been any ban from exploiting game mechanics (not hacking).

Plenty of people BLM burn Garuda HM in 1.0. Granted it's not easy to achieve that, but it's not intended either to entirely skip several of Garuda HM battle phases.

Edited, Sep 12th 2013 7:55pm by Khornette
____________________________




#22 Sep 12 2013 at 11:29 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
826 posts
Valkayree wrote:
Anakte wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Are the story cutscenes 15 minutes long? If not, then what is te mathematical advantage to dropping a pt because someone is watching cutscenes?

There isn't one, but people will cut off their noses just to be a-holes, because that'll show em!


Really upsetting as DD to wait so long in DF to have the healer drop because the pal is not skipping cs.


I finally got around to Titan story today, and the effin' healer did this to us. I mean, the **** CS is no more than a minute long if you read at a slow pace. Is that one minute really that important? Why are they even playing a MMO? Pointless questions I know.

This is why duty finder needs tweaks, aside from them figuring out another way to configure alternate party setups in it or letting me change my job/class inside the encounter should someone leave/disconnect. A severe penalty for manually dropping, such as not able to enter any encounter for another hour, or whatever is more severe and would help counterbalance the general douchery.

I, for one, am glad to see speed runs go by the wayside. Not that saving time isn't great, it just encourages the absolute worst behavior, which we have seen plenty of the past two weeks.
____________________________
Jerri Blank (Strangers with Candy):
"I may still be doing all the wrong things, but now i'm doing them the right way!"
#23 Sep 12 2013 at 11:46 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
3,653 posts
Dallie wrote:
I finally got around to Titan story today, and the effin' healer did this to us. I mean, the **** CS is no more than a minute long if you read at a slow pace. Is that one minute really that important? Why are they even playing a MMO? Pointless questions I know.

This is why duty finder needs tweaks, aside from them figuring out another way to configure alternate party setups in it or letting me change my job/class inside the encounter should someone leave/disconnect. A severe penalty for manually dropping, such as not able to enter any encounter for another hour, or whatever is more severe and would help counterbalance the general douchery.


All that means is the healer had attempted it a number of times, failed, and was getting impatient.Take comfort in that fact that they were probably rubbish, or with Titan, suffering from lag issues...

Duty finder definitely needs to have some penalties for dropping your group. Maybe an hour timeout from queuing again. The amount of times I've had it ready up only for someone to pull out is astounding, and has really slowed down my progress on certain dungeons. DoTA 2 has an abandonment system where you are placed in a low priority pool for a full day if you go AFK or forcefully disconnect, while we don't need something quite that severe, it's a good example of a working system.
____________________________
I tell you, we are here on Earth to **** around, and don’t let anybody tell you different.
#24 Sep 13 2013 at 2:46 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
So running this tonight and killing all the trash (boy, it is a LONG run if you do this), let me tell you what has been added and changed.

In front of the first boss' room is a group of 3 (maybe 4) red priests that have erected a barrier to bar you from entering. Upon their death, you have access to the first boss' room. It is possible to speed run this. It would probably take you two deaths (perhaps). One to kill the barrier guardians (while the tank kites the other stuff) and the other to actually get in the room.

After the first boss, you can see that they've added a ton of new mobs and stuck mobs in points where you could normally slip by. In front of demon wall's room, there is now a patrolling guardian (big guy) and right before him, they've added mobs that statically SIT on the left hand side so it's impossible to sneak on by like it was previous.

After that, the trash is mostly normal up until the entrance to the final boss's room. There are two big guardians guarding the door (you engage them separately). One is closer to the entrance than the other.

Overall, AK takes a lot more time if you decide to kill trash. The rewards you get (level 50 gear) are still worth it but it may not be the best place to farm tomes (the ones not related to AF2). Just a heads up!
#25 Sep 13 2013 at 3:17 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
491 posts
I just reached level 50 yesterday and went into the first 8 man dungeon (Castrum Meridian, or something like that) and everyone was like 'Speedrun, k?' Everyone except me agrees. I say 'I've never done this before so I don't think I can.' One of the guys said, 'Just follow me and don't do anything. You can just watch so you know what to do next time. You can watch the cutscenes again in your Inn room'

Well, after voicing my opinion on rather watching them when they were actually relevant, I reluctantly agreed. The rest that followed was just chaos and I still can't tell you what the **** happened. People were running everywhere, barking orders. I have never been so confused during a run in my whole life. They were just running off and leaving me while the loading screen was up after skipping a cutscene. It was horrible, let me tell ya.

I was wondering to myself why they were even speedrunning it, because I hadn't noticed any treasure coffers or anything along the way. The closest thing I got to an answer for that was at the very end I got 100 Allagan Tomes of Philosophy, which I'm assuming was their incentive. After finishing it, with a sigh of relief, I went back to my Inn room to see what I had missed in way of story (which was hugely inappropraite and a bit confusing after the fact) and realized that I wouldn't have been nearly as confused about where to go or what to do had I watched them as intended.

This experience made me a little reserved to register for the one that immediately follows (no spoilers from me). In that one, I told myself I would not skip and would watch everything, no matter what. While a few people got a little fidgety, it was nothing major and we had a fairly smooth run with no wipes.

Long story, I know. Sorry. I know it would segregate the community a little more (only for a limited time though), but I feel they should almost have a check box for 'speedrun' or 'no speedrun', either or, because now, I'm actually dreading doing anything for the first (or even first few times) from here on out for fear I'm going to just get tossed into one of these groups again.
#26 Sep 13 2013 at 3:38 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
What you experienced, Dragon, is what I did. And many others.

When I farm those two instances today, I get so ****** off when someone gets ***** about a person watching the cutscene. They are storyline missions FFS. What did you think they were there for? If you are not willing to wait for people, then don't bother queuing for this dungeon. I think the reward of 100 tomestones is a little too good. You see, if you get 7 other people to consent to a speedrun, then it's one of the most efficient (if not the most efficient) ways to obtain darklight gear in a short amount of time.

However, if someone wants to speedrun, they should probably organize a group for that specific purpose. I do agree that perhaps a speedrun option should be able to be selected but I won't hold my breath. :(
#27 Sep 13 2013 at 3:46 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
491 posts
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
What you experienced, Dragon, is what I did. And many others.

When I farm those two instances today, I get so ****** off when someone gets ***** about a person watching the cutscene. They are storyline missions FFS. What did you think they were there for? If you are not willing to wait for people, then don't bother queuing for this dungeon. I think the reward of 100 tomestones is a little too good. You see, if you get 7 other people to consent to a speedrun, then it's one of the most efficient (if not the most efficient) ways to obtain darklight gear in a short amount of time.

However, if someone wants to speedrun, they should probably organize a group for that specific purpose. I do agree that perhaps a speedrun option should be able to be selected but I won't hold my breath. :(


Yeah, I don't see that being an option, since they stated speedruns are NOT intended. However, it's the only way I can see now (other than maybe removing rewards from story dungeons after the first time altogether, which is harsh) from preventing groups from sucking the story out of those who wish to enjoy it. The funny thing is, if I get into one, I have no idea that I'm in one until I'm in it, so now, I have to stay in it or suffer a penalty for leaving it. Thanks for understanding.
#28 Sep 13 2013 at 4:30 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
72 posts
I'm not there yet, but my question is: can the group vote kick members? If not, why all the guff about being coerced into skiping cut scenes? If so, all members can do is leave, and incur their own penalty. Or, if people leave and the party breaks up, would everyone get a penalty? However, now that I think about it, I guess you will ***** yourself if you don't agree and the party breaks up once the instance timer starts. You most likely won't have time to get replacements and finish in time.

Why don't they A) remove the instance timer. Why does it have to be timed anyway? It's not like you can stay in it indefinitely and farm it.
And B) instead of simply adding strategically placed filler mobs, just place up invisible barriors or doors that won't open until said section of the encounter is cleared?

Edited, Sep 13th 2013 6:32am by SistinasAria
#29 Sep 13 2013 at 4:43 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
491 posts
SistinasAria wrote:
I'm not there yet, but my question is: can the group vote kick members? If not, why all the guff about being coerced into skiping cut scenes? If so, all members can do is leave, and incur their own penalty. Or, if people leave and the party breaks up, would everyone get a penalty? However, now that I think about it, I guess you will ***** yourself if you don't agree and the party breaks up once the instance timer starts. You most likely won't have time to get replacements and finish in time.

Why don't they A) remove the instance timer. Why does it have to be timed anyway? It's not like you can stay in it indefinitely and farm it.
And B) instead of simply adding strategically placed filler mobs, just place up invisible barriors or doors that won't open until said section of the encounter is cleared?

Edited, Sep 13th 2013 6:32am by SistinasAria


I can't speak for everyone else, but I know I don't want to go through a dungeon being harassed and being left to die because the rest of the group is miffed with me. The whole point of the group is compromise, so without it, it fails to be a group anymore. I'm not saying people are wrong for wanting to speed run. I'm saying they are wrong for trying to force that on someone else. Currently, there is no way of knowing you are in one of those groups until you're actually in it. By then, it is too late. Removing the timer wouldn't solve a thing. They aren't running it fast for fear of running out of time. They are running it fast to be most efficient in getting the rewards. There is plenty of time to watch the cutscenes and finish on time.
#30 Sep 13 2013 at 4:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
787 posts
I just revisited AK last night for the second time. Our first attempt was done when we only had AF gear and didn't know the fights so we didn't get very far. I didn't want to go back into I had several pieces of DL gear and Ifrit weapon. So I joined a pug and had a great time (it turns out that the other 3 team mates are part of a static group so I was the lowly pug replacement). There was only on death when the tank lagged out in the middle of the Demon Wall fight.

So it looks like they added a barrier that needs to be taken down prior to entering the first boss lair. I want to recall seeing some chat about the Devs adding some mobs that are now fast enough to catchup to a blitzing tank.
#31 Sep 13 2013 at 4:53 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
787 posts
Anakte wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Are the story cutscenes 15 minutes long? If not, then what is te mathematical advantage to dropping a pt because someone is watching cutscenes?

There isn't one, but people will cut off their noses just to be a-holes, because that'll show em!


What they should do is have stacking penalties for dropping out of multiple Duty Finders in a row. Just keep stacking an additional 15 minute penalty for each offense until they complete 3 three runs.
#32 Sep 13 2013 at 5:12 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
787 posts
DragonBourne wrote:
There is plenty of time to watch the cutscenes and finish on time.


Actually there are a few very poorly implemented cutscenes which can get the entire party killed. One in particular where your team has to fight two Magitek titans while an Imperial ship is dropping bombs on you. During this fight the Devs thought it was a grand idea to place a cutscene in the middle of this after the war ship gets blown up. I've seen a few runs where half the team is busy watching while the rest are being wiped by the giants. Another boss fight where the boss for some reason bugs out and starts on top of the team during the cutscene so when players finish up, they're knocked out in a few blows.

I think if the Devs address some of the poorly placed cutscenes, it'll be a lot less stressful on everyone.
#33 Sep 13 2013 at 6:04 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,825 posts
Thayos wrote:
Are the story cutscenes 15 minutes long? If not, then what is te mathematical advantage to dropping a pt because someone is watching cutscenes?

The timer doesn't start until everyone is out of CS anyway...
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#34 Sep 13 2013 at 9:21 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
237 posts
Perrin wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Are the story cutscenes 15 minutes long? If not, then what is te mathematical advantage to dropping a pt because someone is watching cutscenes?

The timer doesn't start until everyone is out of CS anyway...


But it continues to run during the CS's in the middle of the run...which is what gets everyone's panties in a bunch
____________________________
FFXIV - Ultros Server - Jaggars Oliana
FC: The Kraken Club <ZAM>
#35 Sep 13 2013 at 9:34 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
491 posts
jaggars wrote:
Perrin wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Are the story cutscenes 15 minutes long? If not, then what is te mathematical advantage to dropping a pt because someone is watching cutscenes?

The timer doesn't start until everyone is out of CS anyway...


But it continues to run during the CS's in the middle of the run...which is what gets everyone's panties in a bunch


I don't think that's even it. There is still plenty of time to finish it. What gets their panties in a bunch is that they just want their 100 Tomes. The rest is just an obstacle in the way and the quicker they can get through and the more they can skip, the better. They aren't worried about setting records, they are worried about getting their Tomes so they can queue up again to get 100 more.
#36 Sep 13 2013 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
DragonBourne wrote:
jaggars wrote:
Perrin wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Are the story cutscenes 15 minutes long? If not, then what is te mathematical advantage to dropping a pt because someone is watching cutscenes?

The timer doesn't start until everyone is out of CS anyway...


But it continues to run during the CS's in the middle of the run...which is what gets everyone's panties in a bunch


I don't think that's even it. There is still plenty of time to finish it. What gets their panties in a bunch is that they just want their 100 Tomes. The rest is just an obstacle in the way and the quicker they can get through and the more they can skip, the better. They aren't worried about setting records, they are worried about getting their Tomes so they can queue up again to get 100 more.


which is a totally fine thing to be concerned with; the problem is that they expect every single random person in the pug to be concerned with the same thing. That's what chaps my hide. The self-centered, tunnel vision that assumes that of course everyone must want what I want, because it's what i want.

edit: having said that, i've only encountered this attitude once, and the people weren't twats about it, although it did cause my first run to be pretty confusing what with the coming out of CS into the middle/end of a battle.

Edited, Sep 13th 2013 12:10pm by Llester
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#37 Sep 13 2013 at 9:46 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
491 posts
Llester wrote:
DragonBourne wrote:
jaggars wrote:
Perrin wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Are the story cutscenes 15 minutes long? If not, then what is te mathematical advantage to dropping a pt because someone is watching cutscenes?

The timer doesn't start until everyone is out of CS anyway...


But it continues to run during the CS's in the middle of the run...which is what gets everyone's panties in a bunch


I don't think that's even it. There is still plenty of time to finish it. What gets their panties in a bunch is that they just want their 100 Tomes. The rest is just an obstacle in the way and the quicker they can get through and the more they can skip, the better. They aren't worried about setting records, they are worried about getting their Tomes so they can queue up again to get 100 more.


which is a totally fine thing to be concerned with; the problem is that they expect every single random person in the pug to be concerned with the same thing. That's what chaps my hide. The self-centered, tunnel vision that assumes that of course everyone must want what I want, because it's what i want.


Nicely said. But I feel it's not only that they expect you to want what they want, but they actually were making me feel uncomfortable for not. I just had a real weiner paired up in a PUG i joined this morning to try and help a friend out. I'm surprised it's taken this long, because, generally, most of the groups of been with (meaning PUGs) have been pretty decent, some extraordinarily so.
#38 Sep 13 2013 at 10:07 AM Rating: Good
**
576 posts
rubina wrote:
DragonBourne wrote:
There is plenty of time to watch the cutscenes and finish on time.


Actually there are a few very poorly implemented cutscenes which can get the entire party killed. One in particular...

..snip...


Use the spoilers tag FFS!

Edited, Sep 13th 2013 12:08pm by Pickins
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#39 Sep 13 2013 at 10:16 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
DragonBourne wrote:
Llester wrote:
DragonBourne wrote:
jaggars wrote:
Perrin wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Are the story cutscenes 15 minutes long? If not, then what is te mathematical advantage to dropping a pt because someone is watching cutscenes?

The timer doesn't start until everyone is out of CS anyway...


But it continues to run during the CS's in the middle of the run...which is what gets everyone's panties in a bunch


I don't think that's even it. There is still plenty of time to finish it. What gets their panties in a bunch is that they just want their 100 Tomes. The rest is just an obstacle in the way and the quicker they can get through and the more they can skip, the better. They aren't worried about setting records, they are worried about getting their Tomes so they can queue up again to get 100 more.


which is a totally fine thing to be concerned with; the problem is that they expect every single random person in the pug to be concerned with the same thing. That's what chaps my hide. The self-centered, tunnel vision that assumes that of course everyone must want what I want, because it's what i want.


Nicely said. But I feel it's not only that they expect you to want what they want, but they actually were making me feel uncomfortable for not. I just had a real weiner paired up in a PUG i joined this morning to try and help a friend out. I'm surprised it's taken this long, because, generally, most of the groups of been with (meaning PUGs) have been pretty decent, some extraordinarily so.


Yeah its really weird behavior, that kind of imposition. I made sure to watch every last second of the CSes, because I felt that same discomfort and I refused to let it make me skip anything. Nevertheless, my experience with PUGs so far has been almost 90% completely positive, despite my comments here. I've actually been pleasantly surprised at how many cool people i'm getting grouped with. I thought Duty Finder was going to be a nightmare.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#40 Sep 13 2013 at 10:23 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
491 posts
Llester wrote:
Yeah its really weird behavior, that kind of imposition. I made sure to watch every last second of the CSes, because I felt that same discomfort and I refused to let it make me skip anything. Nevertheless, my experience with PUGs so far has been almost 90% completely positive, despite my comments here. I've actually been pleasantly surprised at how many cool people i'm getting grouped with. I thought Duty Finder was going to be a nightmare.


It's almost like going to the theater to see a double bill, yet you just want to get to the next one, because you already seen the first, so you are ******** at all the others for watching it. A little off, but I'm sure you get the analogy. The only difference in the MMO scenario is there is absolutely no chance of getting popped in the mouth. :P
#41 Sep 13 2013 at 11:28 AM Rating: Default
9 posts
Dallie wrote:
[quote=Valkayree][quote=Anakte][quote=Thayos]

I, for one, am glad to see speed runs go by the wayside. Not that saving time isn't great, it just encourages the absolute worst behavior, which we have seen plenty of the past two weeks.


IMO, it's the fact that this game's fights are way WAY to F'ing slow. I've read elsewhere that people won't even touch this game because of the stupidly long 2.5 sec. GCD. I'm sorry, every other game on the market that I've played has 10x faster combat. Reducing the trash mobs in a dungeon isn't the way to go either. If they reduced the GCD, made AE"s worth a **** to cast, then people wouldn't mind doing the trash mobs as they would die faster and you could get to the bosses quicker. Many games operate this way on the market now. I like this game, but I often find myself 10 clicks ahead of the rotation in my mind and I'm just waiting forever to get those spells cast. (I'm a 50 BLM btw)

So this behavior is mostly from fustration and impatience on the part of today's ADD players. They want to get to those bosses and blow them up. I don't mind going slow the first couple times, but playing devil's advocate, I can see why ppl wanna get thru as fast as possible.

What we all should be doing is telling (not asking) SE to change this GCD to like 1 second or less. Combat would speed up, things would die faster, players would skip less trash mobs. It's not like they drop anything anyway!. At the upper level dungeons like AK and such, there should at least be a chance (can be a small one) of getting some tomes to drop off the trash mobs. This is the other issue for some players. Getting the Darklight gear or w/e it's called is supposed to be a little grindy.But that grind has been implemented in a way that players again have no patience for. The seals come off the bosses from what I understand. I haven't done AK yet, but I have friends that are doing it already. So in order to get that fabulous gear, all they wanna do is the bosses who drop them. Hence, players trying to get around the trash who drop nothing.
#42 Sep 13 2013 at 11:30 AM Rating: Decent
*
120 posts
Dreyloch wrote:
Dallie wrote:
[quote=Valkayree][quote=Anakte][quote=Thayos]

I, for one, am glad to see speed runs go by the wayside. Not that saving time isn't great, it just encourages the absolute worst behavior, which we have seen plenty of the past two weeks.


IMO, it's the fact that this game's fights are way WAY to F'ing slow. I've read elsewhere that people won't even touch this game because of the stupidly long 2.5 sec. GCD. I'm sorry, every other game on the market that I've played has 10x faster combat. Reducing the trash mobs in a dungeon isn't the way to go either. If they reduced the GCD, made AE"s worth a sh*t to cast, then people wouldn't mind doing the trash mobs as they would die faster and you could get to the bosses quicker. Many games operate this way on the market now. I like this game, but I often find myself 10 clicks ahead of the rotation in my mind and I'm just waiting forever to get those spells cast. (I'm a 50 BLM btw)

So this behavior is mostly from fustration and impatience on the part of today's ADD players. They want to get to those bosses and blow them up. I don't mind going slow the first couple times, but playing devil's advocate, I can see why ppl wanna get thru as fast as possible.

What we all should be doing is telling (not asking) SE to change this GCD to like 1 second or less. Combat would speed up, things would die faster, players would skip less trash mobs. It's not like they drop anything anyway!. At the upper level dungeons like AK and such, there should at least be a chance (can be a small one) of getting some tomes to drop off the trash mobs. This is the other issue for some players. Getting the Darklight gear or w/e it's called is supposed to be a little grindy.But that grind has been implemented in a way that players again have no patience for. The seals come off the bosses from what I understand. I haven't done AK yet, but I have friends that are doing it already. So in order to get that fabulous gear, all they wanna do is the bosses who drop them. Hence, players trying to get around the trash who drop nothing.


You're kidding me right?
#43 Sep 13 2013 at 11:31 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
787 posts
Pickins wrote:
[quote=rubina][quote=DragonBourne]
Use the spoilers tag FFS!
Edited, Sep 13th 2013 12:08pm by Pickins


I apologize to everyone who deleted their game client after reading this spoiler that revealed the entire storyline plot, "The epic death of two trash mobs".
#44 Sep 13 2013 at 12:01 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
ShadowofaDoubt wrote:
No maybe we wont get douche tanks or healers who drop df because the pug group isnt speedrunning.


People drop because you are using that level 40 weapon and level 20 rope belt. Content restrictions based on your gear are coming so we can finally stop dropping parties because our dps is punching the demon wall with pillows.
____________________________


#45 Sep 13 2013 at 12:09 PM Rating: Good
***
2,214 posts
Dreyloch wrote:
Dallie wrote:
[quote=Valkayree][quote=Anakte][quote=Thayos]

I, for one, am glad to see speed runs go by the wayside. Not that saving time isn't great, it just encourages the absolute worst behavior, which we have seen plenty of the past two weeks.


IMO, it's the fact that this game's fights are way WAY to F'ing slow. I've read elsewhere that people won't even touch this game because of the stupidly long 2.5 sec. GCD. I'm sorry, every other game on the market that I've played has 10x faster combat. Reducing the trash mobs in a dungeon isn't the way to go either. If they reduced the GCD, made AE"s worth a sh*t to cast, then people wouldn't mind doing the trash mobs as they would die faster and you could get to the bosses quicker. Many games operate this way on the market now. I like this game, but I often find myself 10 clicks ahead of the rotation in my mind and I'm just waiting forever to get those spells cast. (I'm a 50 BLM btw)

So this behavior is mostly from fustration and impatience on the part of today's ADD players. They want to get to those bosses and blow them up. I don't mind going slow the first couple times, but playing devil's advocate, I can see why ppl wanna get thru as fast as possible.

What we all should be doing is telling (not asking) SE to change this GCD to like 1 second or less. Combat would speed up, things would die faster, players would skip less trash mobs. It's not like they drop anything anyway!. At the upper level dungeons like AK and such, there should at least be a chance (can be a small one) of getting some tomes to drop off the trash mobs. This is the other issue for some players. Getting the Darklight gear or w/e it's called is supposed to be a little grindy.But that grind has been implemented in a way that players again have no patience for. The seals come off the bosses from what I understand. I haven't done AK yet, but I have friends that are doing it already. So in order to get that fabulous gear, all they wanna do is the bosses who drop them. Hence, players trying to get around the trash who drop nothing.

I had a nice long response to this, but ultimately, I will sum it up to something short...

No!

It is an RPG, not an RTS. It is about analyzing a situation and responding, and not about eye hand coordination.

It is about learning a story, and building up a history and rapport. Not about getting the next shiny.
#46 Sep 13 2013 at 12:20 PM Rating: Decent
**
576 posts
rubina wrote:
Pickins wrote:
[quote=rubina][quote=DragonBourne]
Use the spoilers tag FFS!
Edited, Sep 13th 2013 12:08pm by Pickins


I apologize to everyone who deleted their game client after reading this spoiler that revealed the entire storyline plot, "The epic death of two trash mobs".


There is another spoiler...

Now I know I'll be fighting "trash" magitek mobs. I would have preferred to have learned that when the game presented it to me.

Seriously, it's called common courtesy. If it may be a spoiler, wrap it in tags. It only takes 2 seconds...


Edited, Sep 13th 2013 2:27pm by Pickins
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#47 Sep 13 2013 at 12:56 PM Rating: Default
9 posts
rfolkker wrote:
Dreyloch wrote:
Dallie wrote:
[quote=Valkayree][quote=Anakte][quote=Thayos]

I, for one, am glad to see speed runs go by the wayside. Not that saving time isn't great, it just encourages the absolute worst behavior, which we have seen plenty of the past two weeks.


IMO, it's the fact that this game's fights are way WAY to F'ing slow. I've read elsewhere that people won't even touch this game because of the stupidly long 2.5 sec. GCD. I'm sorry, every other game on the market that I've played has 10x faster combat. Reducing the trash mobs in a dungeon isn't the way to go either. If they reduced the GCD, made AE"s worth a sh*t to cast, then people wouldn't mind doing the trash mobs as they would die faster and you could get to the bosses quicker. Many games operate this way on the market now. I like this game, but I often find myself 10 clicks ahead of the rotation in my mind and I'm just waiting forever to get those spells cast. (I'm a 50 BLM btw)

So this behavior is mostly from fustration and impatience on the part of today's ADD players. They want to get to those bosses and blow them up. I don't mind going slow the first couple times, but playing devil's advocate, I can see why ppl wanna get thru as fast as possible.

What we all should be doing is telling (not asking) SE to change this GCD to like 1 second or less. Combat would speed up, things would die faster, players would skip less trash mobs. It's not like they drop anything anyway!. At the upper level dungeons like AK and such, there should at least be a chance (can be a small one) of getting some tomes to drop off the trash mobs. This is the other issue for some players. Getting the Darklight gear or w/e it's called is supposed to be a little grindy.But that grind has been implemented in a way that players again have no patience for. The seals come off the bosses from what I understand. I haven't done AK yet, but I have friends that are doing it already. So in order to get that fabulous gear, all they wanna do is the bosses who drop them. Hence, players trying to get around the trash who drop nothing.

I had a nice long response to this, but ultimately, I will sum it up to something short...

No!

It is an RPG, not an RTS. It is about analyzing a situation and responding, and not about eye hand coordination.

It is about learning a story, and building up a history and rapport. Not about getting the next shiny.


Uh, I think it's called an MMORPG. I'm not saying that sarcasticly either. If you've played a few of them, you would know the action of combat is faster in most than this game. I'm in no rush by any means to get these shinies. I'm just saying for ME it's slow combat. For alot of these other players making an issue of speed running and dumping out on others who are not familiar....It's my opinion this is part of the reason. It's not the whole reason, but by and large, if it was designed right, people wouldn't be looking to skip over the trash mobs in the first place, if the combat let them destroy stuff at a faster pace and get them to the desired loot dropping mob.Within a reasonable timeframe.

Go ahead and learn your story, and I'm not sure who/what your building a rapport with. We're not sitting in a room camping frogloks all day long lol. There is a duty finder and instanced content these days. Alot of these people being complained about in this thread don't care cause they most likely won't ever see you again.It's a shame I know, but it's the sad fact of MMO instanced content.I miss the days of camping in a room. But I wouldn't miss the almost "turn based" combat this game plays at. I'm just offering my idea as to "why" players wanna skirt the trash mobs, and why I think faster combat would help the situation.It's not always about getting the shinies.
#48 Sep 13 2013 at 1:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
**
362 posts
Pretty soon, maybe after a few more WoW expansions or startup MMOs, people will start complaining if instances aren't just a consecutive series of bosses with absolutely no story and no exploration. Collecting tokens for loot will start to be too much, why can't you just kill a boss and choose the piece you want? And the complaints about there 'not being enough to do' won't stop. It's getting silly. a 1.5 or 2.5 second gcd is NOT why people are impatient or jerks. You could make this game have a .25 second gcd with no trash, and there will be people out there who complain about something in these runs.
____________________________
Anakte Grey
BLM 50 SMN/SCH 50 WHM 40
MRD 26 DRG 30 MNK 30 GLA 25

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/416469141_Vt5aq-XL-2.jpg
#49 Sep 13 2013 at 1:15 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Dallie wrote:
Valkayree wrote:
Anakte wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Are the story cutscenes 15 minutes long? If not, then what is te mathematical advantage to dropping a pt because someone is watching cutscenes?

There isn't one, but people will cut off their noses just to be a-holes, because that'll show em!


Really upsetting as DD to wait so long in DF to have the healer drop because the pal is not skipping cs.


I finally got around to Titan story today, and the effin' healer did this to us. I mean, the **** CS is no more than a minute long if you read at a slow pace. Is that one minute really that important? Why are they even playing a MMO? Pointless questions I know.

This is why duty finder needs tweaks, aside from them figuring out another way to configure alternate party setups in it or letting me change my job/class inside the encounter should someone leave/disconnect. A severe penalty for manually dropping, such as not able to enter any encounter for another hour, or whatever is more severe and would help counterbalance the general douchery.

I, for one, am glad to see speed runs go by the wayside. Not that saving time isn't great, it just encourages the absolute worst behavior, which we have seen plenty of the past two weeks.


I have simply stopped attempting to do anything at all in duty finder unless I have at least 3 other ZAM folks with me. The instances are hard enough without all the whiny bs. I did garuda HM last night with a pug and died (what's new). Was told dd wasnt fast enough on the feathers. Specifically me. Really? SO the next run I zerged the feathers with blizzard II instead of using fire I like the blm in the youtube video i watched. Worked pretty well considering I killed all the feathers myself and was the last one left alive at the end before the monk quit because the random pal was being a ****. I'm slowly learning to not be so impatent and instead wait on the rest of the FC group (reminds self to ignore cheaters with AF+1 who bought tomestones with RMT gil). Still, a good learning experience.

Edited, Sep 13th 2013 2:16pm by Valkayree
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#50 Sep 13 2013 at 1:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
That's what I don't understand. This is a Final Fantasy game. The storyline is the content. By denying someone the opportunity to view the cutscenes as they occur, you are saying you don't care about them experiencing the game's content.

Cutscenes are not supposed to be a chore you plow through to get to the "good stuff" - in Final Fantasy games, they are the good stuff! Like in FFX, you have to get past Seymour Flux, and when you do, you're rewarded with the Tidus/Yuna smooch smooch scene in the pond as your prize.

Edited, Sep 13th 2013 3:16pm by Catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#51 Sep 13 2013 at 1:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
491 posts
Dreyloch wrote:
I'm sorry, every other game on the market that I've played has 10x faster combat.


And yet you are still looking for another. I can see your point though. Who wouldn't want every game to have the exact same combat system and tempo? Pffft, amateurs.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 60 All times are in CST
FilthMcNasty, Anonymous Guests (59)