Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

What is /assist for? Follow

#1 Sep 12 2013 at 8:11 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
As the title suggests. I've been looking around and I think I've got a fairly basic idea of how macros work. I keep seeing /assist mentions as something useful for CNJ, which is my main right now. I'm just wondering exactly how this would be used.

Any links to good macro guides would be cool also. I've used google and I'm just not getting my question answered.

Thanks :)
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#2 Sep 12 2013 at 8:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Isn't assist is used to target whatever your target is targeting? Or is it tank exclusive?

I can see some use if you want to put a DoT on target and swiftly switch back to your current heal target by put /assist in macro for the DoT.

Now that I think about it, this game could use separate targeting. Some MMO allows you to have 2 targets at once, one for beneficial action (such as heal) and one for hostile action (DoT, attack etc.) so you don't need to change target mid fight and you can still put DoT on enemies, heal on tank for example.

Edited, Sep 12th 2013 10:34pm by Khornette
____________________________




#3 Sep 12 2013 at 8:40 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Well I know you can put <tt> in for target of target at the end of the line. But /assist would come at the front
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#4 Sep 12 2013 at 9:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
8,180 posts
Anyone can use the /assist function, regardless of job. For example, if you target the mob that is attacking anyone (even not in your group) you can /assist the mob, to then target the player its attacking for a quick heal (usefull in Fates).

In dungeons, I primarily leave the tank as my target, then instead of assisting him, if you use the auto target (tab for kb, or on a controller the arrow keys), you can cast One spell on the reticule target, and it will automatically reapply back to your main target (the tank).

Example: I target the tank for heals... want to throw Aero on the mob, press right arrow key in my case, cast Aero, and it switches back to the tank whiles its casting, then I can cast heal right away.

Rinse repeat as needed.
____________________________
Things I sometimes play...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I want to be a unicorn!"
"Awww, why's that?"........
"So I can stab people with my face."
#5 Sep 12 2013 at 9:09 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Dyadem wrote:
Anyone can use the /assist function, regardless of job. For example, if you target the mob that is attacking anyone (even not in your group) you can /assist the mob, to then target the player its attacking for a quick heal (usefull in Fates).

In dungeons, I primarily leave the tank as my target, then instead of assisting him, if you use the auto target (tab for kb, or on a controller the arrow keys), you can cast One spell on the reticule target, and it will automatically reapply back to your main target (the tank).

Example: I target the tank for heals... want to throw Aero on the mob, press right arrow key in my case, cast Aero, and it switches back to the tank whiles its casting, then I can cast heal right away.

Rinse repeat as needed.


AHA! That makes sense now thanks. The way you're targeting is exactly the way I do too.

Thanks :)
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#6 Sep 12 2013 at 9:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
8,180 posts
No Problem!

Also not sure on a guide for macros, but as I mentioned I use a 360 controller to play, and this guide helped me immensely in getting working fluidly.

http://ffxivrealm.com/threads/a-few-simple-settings-that-can-improve-your-gamepad-experience.6397/
____________________________
Things I sometimes play...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I want to be a unicorn!"
"Awww, why's that?"........
"So I can stab people with my face."
#7 Sep 12 2013 at 10:42 PM Rating: Good
What I've found useful for healing is setting the boss as a focus. I do this so that i can see the bosses cast bar while I'mtargeting the tank. You do this by pressing shift + F while you are targeting an enemy. If you would like to do it on a game pad, you will have to go into the gamepad controls and turn off direct chat and eventhen, you will have to use a keyboard. It's extremely helpful as a healer. (pardon the wallof text andthe two ll's at the end. I'm on my phone.)II
____________________________
Priestess
Bard 75 Blue 75 Whm 65 Rdm 60 Dnc 45
Woodworking: 60
"Prepare to be vanquishized, Evildoers!"
Kujata
#8 Sep 13 2013 at 4:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
491 posts
xPriestessx wrote:
What I've found useful for healing is setting the boss as a focus. I do this so that i can see the bosses cast bar while I'mtargeting the tank. You do this by pressing shift + F while you are targeting an enemy. If you would like to do it on a game pad, you will have to go into the gamepad controls and turn off direct chat and eventhen, you will have to use a keyboard. It's extremely helpful as a healer. (pardon the wallof text andthe two ll's at the end. I'm on my phone.)II


On the controller, you simply hit X/Square (360/PS3 respectively) to focus. You can then press the left thumbstick to lock onto this target, if preferable, which will allow you to strafe from side to side or forward and backward just by moving the left stick. It will keep that target always in your view pane at all times. A simply press again of the left thumbstick will take you out of lock on and back into normal targeting mode.

EDIT: Sorry, above I meant A/X (360/PS3 respectively. Sorry for the blunder, just so used to teaching people how to pull up the context menu that I automatically typed that.

Edited, Sep 13th 2013 11:40am by DragonBourne
#9 Sep 13 2013 at 5:59 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Awesome tips. Thanks again to everyone for their help. Rate-ups all around!
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#10 Sep 13 2013 at 6:58 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
425 posts
And while in target lock mode, moving backwards whilst avoiding a mid-range AOE is too slow, you need to unlock so you can head for the hills faster.
____________________________
FFXI character: Elathia ::F Tarutaru::87SCH/75RDM/70WHM/54BLM::Cerberus/Ragnarok/Bahamut::1/23/2004 - 3/25/2015 :: Retired
RDM First 75 Job :: RDM Maat victory: March 28, 2008 (1/3) :: San d'Oria R10 Long live King Destin :: Praise be to the late King Ranperre.
FFXIV character: Selene Silverstorm :: F Lalafell :: WAR60/WHM60/BLM60 :: Ragnarok :: 9/2013 -
Patch note archives for FFXIV: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/patchnote_log/
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 78 All times are in CST
Callinon, FilthMcNasty, Anonymous Guests (76)