Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Is this the best Fxiv Arr Forum?Follow

#1 Sep 15 2013 at 1:47 PM Rating: Good
2 posts
I've been involved with a few, but I have to say, the posters here seem far and away more mature and balanced. Kind of a relief to find you guys. I'm new to MMOs, and probably a lot older than most players ( pushing 50) and I find the general level of conversation kind of depressing, gut I Coe here, and, wow, you are actually talking to each other in a civilised way! If anyone is on Pheonix, p,ease let me know, and I'll friend you. at the moment it's just me and my son playing together when e gets a chance.
#2 Sep 15 2013 at 2:22 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts
I have liked Zam for a long time, I dont even play FFXIV anymore and I still come here to read the forums. Seems like we have a good mix of perspective here.
____________________________


#3 Sep 15 2013 at 3:22 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Yes, yes it is. Smiley: nod
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#4 Sep 15 2013 at 3:34 PM Rating: Good
***
1,079 posts
No, we only post on here because it's mediocre at best.
____________________________
FFXIV
Articus Vladmir
PLD WHM BRD DRG BLM
#5 Sep 15 2013 at 3:47 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
431 posts
I'm from Germany and I love this forum because of the people here.
No other community it like that!
____________________________
AlexisLucia wrote:
It's ok, my native language is Typo, so I probably would have understood.

#6 Sep 15 2013 at 3:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
91 posts
I always believed Zam to be one of the best forums in general I used this one constantly when I was in FFXI and now I'm here again for XIV. We do have those few trolls here but then again what site doesn't but I'm more than positive you'll enjoy your stay here.
#7 Sep 15 2013 at 3:57 PM Rating: Decent
**
337 posts
The posters here are very nice but you need to pay for things like using your own avatar or posting images. So, if you wanted to (for example) create a graphic guide with pictures to help people, you would need to be a subscriber to ZAM. (I am hoping to post some guides like that so I subscribed)

Having said that, I do prefer this forum over the official boards. People act like trolls there and usually don't think about what they're posting, or reply with "epic meme" pictures.

Edited, Sep 15th 2013 6:00pm by LucasNox
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn
Lucas Nox on Midgardsormr
#8 Sep 15 2013 at 4:04 PM Rating: Good
***
1,136 posts
I definitely prefer the people here over any of the other forums I've been to.
#9 Sep 15 2013 at 4:10 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I think it's a combination of:

- An easy to use forum interface that's conducive to posting both quick conversations or long, thought out discussions. Many forum systems are only good for one or the other.
- The karma system to allow the community to self-police to some extent and
- An active moderation team for when the community self-policing is no longer adequate (like the dude that posted ten troll posts in an row about an hour ago. Thanks mod team!)

The result is a community that's a notch above the average maturity for video game forums, and in-depth conversations peppered with pithy one liners.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#10 Sep 15 2013 at 5:04 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
150 posts
By FAR the best FFXIV forum out there.

I mean you could head over to mmorpg.com...but go there and loot at the topics being discussed...nothing about the game itself just people fighting over how much the game sucks like its a political forum.

Plus you get banned there permanently if you call out someone spreading straight BS about the game...happened to me...was actually shocked they would ban someone who liked the game and was posting about it but let others spreading BS about the game stay...

Right now they are all claiming the end of FFXIV and its soon to be f2p status because *gasp* endgame is tier based gear. So they are all shocked about it over there and proclaiming the game a flop.

Or.

You could come here and actually discuss stuff about the game without the same 5 posters coming into every thread and starting an argument about how they think the game sucks and will be f2p and SE is gonna go out of business blah blah blah.

Theres actual discussions here about the game, and that is very rare for multi game forums.

the SE forum is unusable. Cant post over 1k words, cant post more than a few times per day. Cant post unless you are a certain level. Horrible forum layout as well.

Plus we can upvote and downvote posts

Edited, Sep 15th 2013 7:05pm by Strangerous
#11 Sep 15 2013 at 6:22 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
This is my "pithy" one liner. I hope you enjoy it. :)

Edit: @op .. i'm 41. I think the mean age of this forum is around 25~ish.

Edited, Sep 15th 2013 8:23pm by Teneleven
____________________________

#12 Sep 15 2013 at 6:48 PM Rating: Default
****
4,955 posts
tier based gear? what would the alternative be? i mean couldnt you also argue that ffxi's engame gear was tier based too? i.e yougot stuff from sky then BETTER stuff from salvage then better from einherjar then abyssea etc etc?
#13 Sep 15 2013 at 6:49 PM Rating: Decent
******
48,703 posts
You're welcome. I run a pretty tight ship.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#14 Sep 15 2013 at 8:19 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,144 posts
Strangerous wrote:
By FAR the best FFXIV forum out there.

I mean you could head over to mmorpg.com...but go there and loot at the topics being discussed...nothing about the game itself just people fighting over how much the game sucks like its a political forum.

Plus you get banned there permanently if you call out someone spreading straight BS about the game...happened to me...was actually shocked they would ban someone who liked the game and was posting about it but let others spreading BS about the game stay...

Right now they are all claiming the end of FFXIV and its soon to be f2p status because *gasp* endgame is tier based gear. So they are all shocked about it over there and proclaiming the game a flop.

Or.

You could come here and actually discuss stuff about the game without the same 5 posters coming into every thread and starting an argument about how they think the game sucks and will be f2p and SE is gonna go out of business blah blah blah.

Theres actual discussions here about the game, and that is very rare for multi game forums.

the SE forum is unusable. Cant post over 1k words, cant post more than a few times per day. Cant post unless you are a certain level. Horrible forum layout as well.


Well said.

Strangerous wrote:
Plus we can upvote and downvote posts


annnnnd lost all credibility Smiley: glare
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#15 Sep 15 2013 at 8:22 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
You're welcome. I run a pretty tight ship.


Did you let your premium expire? Smiley: dubious
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#16 Sep 16 2013 at 4:34 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
The replies just reaffirm my faith, although I do feel like grandad now. I've been a gamer for a fair few years now, but always solo. Have played all the FF since VII, but was never really tempted by the idea of online gaming. Thought I'd give FFXIV ARR a shot, and jeez, such a lot of fun. One **** of a steep learning curve though. The terminology, the dungeon tactics, the general etiquette involved. From an outside perspective, it's a whole new and frankly alien culture to a certain extent, but so much fun. I'm not quite as dedicated as some of the power levellers, have my main class close to 30, and am slowly levelling three others.

I am very curious as to what post level 50 gameplay will be like though. Does the game change dramatically? Am about to do Haukken Manor, and am rather nervous, as rumour has it the difficulty level rises dramatically. So far all dungeons have been fairly manageable, I hope this isn't the one where I crash and burn...
#17 Sep 16 2013 at 4:56 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
787 posts
I've always considered ZAM (Allakhazam) to be the grand daddy of all gaming forums. It just seems like the community here at ZAM to be a lot more sane then the community found in the MMORPG's own official forums. I truly miss some of the people that used to frequent these forums but have moved on in life.
#18 Sep 16 2013 at 5:27 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
I'd say the offiical forums were better but the mods there delete so many threads they don't like now.

Zam is the best honestly, mainly because the mods don't abuse their power (even if they might want to).
____________________________
BANNED
#19 Sep 16 2013 at 5:32 AM Rating: Good
**
589 posts
I like it here, that's why I stick around. You can debate here, plus some of the posters are funny as ****.
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
#20 Sep 16 2013 at 7:11 AM Rating: Decent
24 posts
Yes, and MUCH better than the SE offical forums. Here you can say things like "the servers being down is unacceptable" and not get suspended for violation of forum rules (its in the rules, can't post anything negative about SE on their forums in imperial Japan)
#21 Sep 16 2013 at 7:29 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
Best community hands-down! Been coming here since about 2005 as a FFXI player and would not want to be this active in any other community. The people are all more mature as you mentioned (I'm turning 40 this coming year) and most of us are employed or otherwise occupied with RL in addition to sharing out passion for the game.

The karma system is the best I've seen. Not going to say perfect but the best for sure. It keeps people in line and makes sure the trolls are kept to a minimum. Please come back and discuss the game with us.

If you want to do a server transfer when you are able we have a ZAM Free Company on Ultros server... One of the biggest and most active on the server. If you like the forums you'll love the FC.
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#22 Sep 16 2013 at 7:31 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Its the only place I'm signed up. Good group. Smiley: nod
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#23 Sep 16 2013 at 7:48 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
JessieElfie wrote:
I'm new to MMOs, and probably a lot older than most players ( pushing 50)


Age is nothing but a number. I played FFXI with a guy who later told me he was 63.

lolgaxe wrote:
You're welcome. I run a pretty tight ship.


I thought you were Army. Why are you running a ship? Smiley: dubious
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#24 Sep 16 2013 at 8:04 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
70 posts
When i started playing FFXI this was the place to go, not for just the forums but for general information on the game. Years later the wiki was more popular, still that forum remains pretty active as well. Then XIV came out, 1.0. These forums were created but never really took off, there was sometimes a week in between posts. Since the beta announcement though this forum has been the best place i could find once again for XIV related info, i always come here and spend a part of my work day watching the forums. I don't see a ton of trolling, its regulated and watched by good peoples and well taken care of. This is the best forum for XIV!!
____________________________
Shiener Grallen - Siren Server
#25 Sep 16 2013 at 8:57 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
150 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Strangerous wrote:
By FAR the best FFXIV forum out there.

I mean you could head over to mmorpg.com...but go there and loot at the topics being discussed...nothing about the game itself just people fighting over how much the game sucks like its a political forum.

Plus you get banned there permanently if you call out someone spreading straight BS about the game...happened to me...was actually shocked they would ban someone who liked the game and was posting about it but let others spreading BS about the game stay...

Right now they are all claiming the end of FFXIV and its soon to be f2p status because *gasp* endgame is tier based gear. So they are all shocked about it over there and proclaiming the game a flop.

Or.

You could come here and actually discuss stuff about the game without the same 5 posters coming into every thread and starting an argument about how they think the game sucks and will be f2p and SE is gonna go out of business blah blah blah.

Theres actual discussions here about the game, and that is very rare for multi game forums.

the SE forum is unusable. Cant post over 1k words, cant post more than a few times per day. Cant post unless you are a certain level. Horrible forum layout as well.


Well said.

Strangerous wrote:
Plus we can upvote and downvote posts


annnnnd lost all credibility Smiley: glare



Really could care less about forum credibility. I like the up vote down vote thing, so what?
#26 Sep 16 2013 at 11:04 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
There are valid arguments for and against the ZAM karma system. On the one hand it promotes cliquishness (aka the "circle-jerk") and discourages new posters from making what are possibly valid criticisms for fear of retaliation from the community. On the other hand, it gives the established members of the community an immediate means of feedback to posters. A first time poster who comes in with guns blazing will be shot down. A first time poster who asks a reasonable question or slips in a thoughtful comment will still be rated up. (Karma doesn't count until your post count exceeds 10 if I remember right.)
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#27 Sep 16 2013 at 11:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
132 posts
Strangerous wrote:

Really could care less about forum credibility. I like the up vote down vote thing, so what?


Wait...
____________________________
Rayve Mendicant : Ultros
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
#28 Sep 16 2013 at 2:05 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
108 posts
Ill hate to be different from the above posts. ( but I like it here)
#29 Sep 16 2013 at 2:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
You're welcome. I run a pretty tight ship.


Smiley: dubious

Wait, there are other internet forums?
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#30 Sep 16 2013 at 2:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
425 posts
Wint wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
You're welcome. I run a pretty tight ship.


Smiley: dubious

Wait, there are other internet forums?


That's pretty much how I've been for the past 3 weeks.
____________________________
FFXI character: Elathia ::F Tarutaru::87SCH/75RDM/70WHM/54BLM::Cerberus/Ragnarok/Bahamut::1/23/2004 - 3/25/2015 :: Retired
RDM First 75 Job :: RDM Maat victory: March 28, 2008 (1/3) :: San d'Oria R10 Long live King Destin :: Praise be to the late King Ranperre.
FFXIV character: Selene Silverstorm :: F Lalafell :: WAR60/WHM60/BLM60 :: Ragnarok :: 9/2013 -
Patch note archives for FFXIV: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/patchnote_log/
#31 Sep 16 2013 at 3:08 PM Rating: Excellent
I'm curious as to what the average age is here. It's obviously older as we have actual discussions, not "you're a stupid head!" shouting matches. Also, you can drop a super old reference and a majority of us get it. Pushing 40 myself it's nice being somewhere where I'm not the only person shaking my fist at those **** kids on my lawn.
#32 Sep 16 2013 at 3:17 PM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
I'm curious as to what the average age is here. It's obviously older as we have actual discussions, not "you're a stupid head!" shouting matches. Also, you can drop a super old reference and a majority of us get it. Pushing 40 myself it's nice being somewhere where I'm not the only person shaking my fist at those **** kids on my lawn.



/em toilet papers your post.

Your stupid head references are oooooold!


pssst. I'm in the ZAM cellar. Save me. For the love of gawd. Save me.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#33 Sep 16 2013 at 3:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
pssst. I'm in the ZAM cellar. Save me. For the love of gawd. Save me.


There is no escape, not with a jailer like Wint...
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 80 All times are in CST
Callinon, DuoMaxwellxx, Anonymous Guests (78)