Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Already a way to game afk timerFollow

#27 Sep 18 2013 at 3:17 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
reptiletim wrote:
I'm guessing the reason there are less bots is because the free trial is over.


It's only over for old 1.0 accounts. There's another 13 or so days for those who purchased new copies of the game.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#28 Sep 18 2013 at 3:39 PM Rating: Default
****
4,174 posts
Pelacha wrote:
And are so pose to be talking about how to exploit the game. this trick just make me wonder how lazy people can be.


Not sure I'd call it an exploit. I'm not subscribed, but if I were... I pay for 30 days of service. Why shouldn't I be able to stay logged in the entire time?

I don't support people going AFK, but people being AFK isn't the issue. Server capacity is the issue. SE needs to fix the issue, not cover it with a bandaid.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#29 Sep 18 2013 at 8:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
95 posts
Who cares?
#30 Sep 18 2013 at 8:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
I pay for 30 days of service. Why shouldn't I be able to stay logged in the entire time?


You can, if you're playing.

If you get logged out, you can just log back in.

Having the right to stay logged in while you're not around is kind of arbitrary, considering you have the right to actually play whenever you want, without the possibility of being kicked off.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#31 Sep 18 2013 at 9:42 PM Rating: Default
****
4,174 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
I pay for 30 days of service. Why shouldn't I be able to stay logged in the entire time?


You can, if you're playing.

If you get logged out, you can just log back in.

Having the right to stay logged in while you're not around is kind of arbitrary, considering you have the right to actually play whenever you want, without the possibility of being kicked off.


What purpose does an AFK timer serve aside from the obvous "duh, it kicks afk players"? Isn't it there to clear the server for people who would be waiting on queues? Why not address the issue completely and just increase server capacity? Isn't that also what you pay for as a subscriber?

Do fans of SE games feel like they're bestowed with a great honor being able to play instead of receiving a service they pay for? Smiley: glare

____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#32 Sep 18 2013 at 10:29 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:

What purpose does an AFK timer serve aside from the obvous "duh, it kicks afk players"? Isn't it there to clear the server for people who would be waiting on queues? Why not address the issue completely and just increase server capacity? Isn't that also what you pay for as a subscriber?

Do fans of SE games feel like they're bestowed with a great honor being able to play instead of receiving a service they pay for? Smiley: glare


The capacity has been increased already, but this afk timer helps to log players out whom aren't playing. I don't think you understand how difficult and costly it is to exponentially continue to expand the server limits. This afk timer is a tool by SE to have a better guess how much to expand the server capacity. There is a planning phase as any good network designer will tell you. They don't just flip the switch and add another 1,000 slots. SE will adjust accordingly based on the demand for further upgrades. It would be foolhardy to automatically assume other more cost preventive measures won't solve the issue. It's not a bandaid fix either. I understand your confusion though, it seems simple, but it's not.

Edited, Sep 18th 2013 11:29pm by ShadowedgeFFXI
#33 Sep 19 2013 at 1:02 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
I pay for 30 days of service. Why shouldn't I be able to stay logged in the entire time?


You can, if you're playing.

If you get logged out, you can just log back in.

Having the right to stay logged in while you're not around is kind of arbitrary, considering you have the right to actually play whenever you want, without the possibility of being kicked off.


Actually, if I log out, I lose my chat log, my chat settings, camera angle, and a bunch of other preset things I would rather not reset.

Generally, though, if I'm online, I'm playing the game. Sometimes I will sit and study for at least 30 minutes while waiting for DF to pop if no one in the FC wants to play. It's quite annoying to see a 30 minute disconnect timer when 30 minutes is generally the queue time for a DPS. Greater if you run AK during prime time solo as a DPS when there aren't even enough servers to accommodate /full/ groups who are waiting to reserve an instance. I would have liked to see an hour, which is a reasonable amount of time for auto-disconnect.
#34 Sep 19 2013 at 1:55 AM Rating: Default
****
4,174 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
The capacity has been increased already, but this afk timer helps to log players out whom aren't playing. I don't think you understand how difficult and costly it is to exponentially continue to expand the server limits.

I know they increased capacity, but it's clearly not enough if they are forcing people to log out. As you said, any good network designer knows there's a planning phase. Did they just skip that part? Wouldn't have made more sense to have the character creation limits and the afk timer at the front end and throttled back as servers settled in?

Too much to ask I guess.

____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#35 Sep 19 2013 at 2:48 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Considering how easy it is to get around the afk kicker (there are numerous ways around it, not just the one above) I don't think they really wanted to add it at all, there are valid reasons for not having it for Square given past press announcments they have made.

They just added a very weak one to silence the vocal posters complaining about the login issues.
____________________________
BANNED
#36 Sep 19 2013 at 6:14 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
600 posts
I propose an afk timer for the ZAM threads, it will go as follows:

If someone posts a thread/reply that gets rated down to oblivion, then that person has to stay "afk" for 30 minutes to an hour before being able to post again. Smiley: grin
____________________________

Quote:
Fiddle Faddle!

#37 Sep 19 2013 at 10:36 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
95 posts
The afk timer should technically help with latency too, correct?
#38 Sep 19 2013 at 10:53 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
66 posts
moonfroh wrote:
The afk timer should technically help with latency too, correct?


Yes it does. When your character is idle, it is still using a lot of the servers resources. The server still has to constantly verify your location, be prepared to receive action at a moments notice, log chat, and a host of other things of which I am unaware. It isn't just a "slot" on the server, though it is that as well. The overall gameplay is improved by booting AFKers that are sucking up resources and forcing a render draw every time someone else sees them. I hate being near sanctuaries in the higher level areas because it is thousands of people just standing around doing nothing. I know there are people that are playing among them waiting for DF or what have you, but a lot of them are AFK and my PC has to render every last one of them. If all of the AFK people suddenly vanished, I bet my FPS would jump up by 20 or 30 frames and latency in the area would improve drastically.

The fact of the matter is this; being AFK is a drain on EVERYONE around you, just so you can save yourself a few seconds of inconvenience? If 30 whole minutes passes without a single interaction from you, then you are NOT playing the game and should GTFO! I can't even believe we live in a world where this is a polarizing topic.

FWP FTW!
____________________________
"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!"
~Vigo the Carpathian
#39 Sep 19 2013 at 10:57 AM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
Azoria wrote:
moonfroh wrote:
The afk timer should technically help with latency too, correct?


Yes it does. When your character is idle, it is still using a lot of the servers resources. The server still has to constantly verify your location, be prepared to receive action at a moments notice, log chat, and a host of other things of which I am unaware. It isn't just a "slot" on the server, though it is that as well. The overall gameplay is improved by booting AFKers that are sucking up resources and forcing a render draw every time someone else sees them. I hate being near sanctuaries in the higher level areas because it is thousands of people just standing around doing nothing. I know there are people that are playing among them waiting for DF or what have you, but a lot of them are AFK and my PC has to render every last one of them. If all of the AFK people suddenly vanished, I bet my FPS would jump up by 20 or 30 frames and latency in the area would improve drastically.

The fact of the matter is this; being AFK is a drain on EVERYONE around you, just so you can save yourself a few seconds of inconvenience? If 30 whole minutes passes without a single interaction from you, then you are NOT playing the game and should GTFO! I can't even believe we live in a world where this is a polarizing topic.

FWP FTW!



I like you. Want to share an ice cream? Your own spoon and everything.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#40 Sep 19 2013 at 11:04 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,907 posts
While people staying online uses server resources, the actions people are taking to circumvent the AFK timer is using more on top of that, so what you're now left with is cutting off an arm to cure a hangnail.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#41 Sep 19 2013 at 11:14 AM Rating: Excellent
I think most people are smart and reasonable enough to understand there's no logical reason to circumvent the timer.

Anyone can play whenever they want, for as long as they want, and there are no player bazaars.

Edited, Sep 19th 2013 10:14am by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#42 Sep 19 2013 at 11:16 AM Rating: Good
*
197 posts
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:

Actually, if I log out, I lose my chat log, my chat settings, camera angle, and a bunch of other preset things I would rather not reset.


This might be the stupidest, laziest thing I've ever read, seriously.

If your not actually playing do everyone else a favor and just ******* log out. I played WoW for 7+ years and never once had a problem with their AFK timer. I can't think of one good reason at this point you would need to leave your character logged in for any extended period of time while your not actually "playing" (as in actually doing something) the game. It just makes sense that they would want to reduce the stress on their servers by not having 10000 characters just standing around. If that bothers you then honestly your just selfish.

Waiting for a dungeon Que? Just move your character every so often, I mean I know its pretty hard to work up the effort to push a button every 10 mins or so.
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#43 Sep 19 2013 at 11:18 AM Rating: Decent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
That last one is the big kicker for me. In FFXI, afking to bazaar was a justified legitimate reason to stay logged in overnight.

I think right now there is no gear or items that can be sold by the player alone and not the retainer. You can either sell it, or you can't, period.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#44 Sep 19 2013 at 11:21 AM Rating: Good
******
49,907 posts
Thayos wrote:
I think most people are smart and reasonable enough to understand there's no logical reason to circumvent the timer.
There was no logical reason to request and implement an AFK Timer at all, so I think we can both agree that the "smart and reasonable" demographic is on vacation.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#45 Sep 19 2013 at 11:23 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
425 posts
Nothing has changed on famfrit. Simply going to Gridania = RMT greeting.

Edited, Sep 19th 2013 1:23pm by TwilightSkye
____________________________
FFXI character: Elathia ::F Tarutaru::87SCH/75RDM/70WHM/54BLM::Cerberus/Ragnarok/Bahamut::1/23/2004 - 3/25/2015 :: Retired
RDM First 75 Job :: RDM Maat victory: March 28, 2008 (1/3) :: San d'Oria R10 Long live King Destin :: Praise be to the late King Ranperre.
FFXIV character: Selene Silverstorm :: F Lalafell :: WAR60/WHM60/BLM60 :: Ragnarok :: 9/2013 -
Patch note archives for FFXIV: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/patchnote_log/
#46 Sep 19 2013 at 12:52 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,083 posts
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
I pay for 30 days of service. Why shouldn't I be able to stay logged in the entire time?


You can, if you're playing.

If you get logged out, you can just log back in.

Having the right to stay logged in while you're not around is kind of arbitrary, considering you have the right to actually play whenever you want, without the possibility of being kicked off.


Actually, if I log out, I lose my chat log, my chat settings, camera angle, and a bunch of other preset things I would rather not reset.

Generally, though, if I'm online, I'm playing the game. Sometimes I will sit and study for at least 30 minutes while waiting for DF to pop if no one in the FC wants to play. It's quite annoying to see a 30 minute disconnect timer when 30 minutes is generally the queue time for a DPS. Greater if you run AK during prime time solo as a DPS when there aren't even enough servers to accommodate /full/ groups who are waiting to reserve an instance. I would have liked to see an hour, which is a reasonable amount of time for auto-disconnect.


I agree. An additional annoyance is if you have a second account for whatever reason. I dual-box and my second account I use for fishing, storing stuff and crafting. Now instead of her being ready and available whenver i need her, she's always being logged out. Having to relog in like 5-10 times every night gets old after a few days. >.<

1-2 hours would be fine and still accomplish the goal of not having people logged in while sleeping or at work.

Edited, Sep 19th 2013 2:53pm by rikkuotaku
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#47 Sep 19 2013 at 12:55 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,270 posts
It takes all of 30 seconds to sign in, if your using your 2nd character as a fishing bot you have other issues to worry about.
#48 Sep 19 2013 at 1:08 PM Rating: Good
***
2,214 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Pelacha wrote:
And are so pose to be talking about how to exploit the game. this trick just make me wonder how lazy people can be.


Not sure I'd call it an exploit. I'm not subscribed, but if I were... I pay for 30 days of service. Why shouldn't I be able to stay logged in the entire time?

I don't support people going AFK, but people being AFK isn't the issue. Server capacity is the issue. SE needs to fix the issue, not cover it with a bandaid.

Well, by your logic, SE should just assume that we are all playing 24 hours a day. Up the infrastructure based on that, and of course increase the billing accordingly.

Capacity planning is an issue with IT resources. When do you spend too much, and when is it not enough. From a players perspective, it would be ideal that they had enough capacity to hold every character created active for any number of hours. But from a resource/business perspective that is just an obscene waste of money.

So, to keep costs down, they attempt to predict how much will be used, without being wasted. Translation, end users will not be happy. By the very nature of the process, you under plan, and scale accordingly. And this is done simply because it is cheaper to buy more equipment than it is to offload equipment you bought and don't need.
#49 Sep 19 2013 at 1:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
392 posts
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:

Actually, if I log out, I lose my chat log, my chat settings, camera angle, and a bunch of other preset things I would rather not reset.

Generally, though, if I'm online, I'm playing the game. Sometimes I will sit and study for at least 30 minutes while waiting for DF to pop if no one in the FC wants to play. It's quite annoying to see a 30 minute disconnect timer when 30 minutes is generally the queue time for a DPS. Greater if you run AK during prime time solo as a DPS when there aren't even enough servers to accommodate /full/ groups who are waiting to reserve an instance. I would have liked to see an hour, which is a reasonable amount of time for auto-disconnect.



Ok, the first part of this comment really confused me. How much work do you have to put forth to adjust your chat settings and camera angle? And what is so important about your chat log that you need to keep a record of it? I think I am really missing something here.

Now, the second part I almost agree with. If I was using the DF and waiting for a pick-up, yes, i would hate to be constantly kicked off. However, I, and everyone on here, am fully aware of said AFK timer, therefore i will take measurements to make sure I don't get kicked off, even something as simple as moving some inventory around or chatting in the LS or FC.
____________________________
"You are what you are on paper."
-
Avirex Idyll - Faerie Server
#50 Sep 19 2013 at 1:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
66 posts
rikkuotaku wrote:
I agree. An additional annoyance is if you have a second account for whatever reason. I dual-box and my second account I use for fishing, storing stuff and crafting. Now instead of her being ready and available whenver i need her, she's always being logged out. Having to relog in like 5-10 times every night gets old after a few days. >.<

1-2 hours would be fine and still accomplish the goal of not having people logged in while sleeping or at work.

Edited, Sep 19th 2013 2:53pm by rikkuotaku


Again, just like with being semi-afk while in the duty finder... twitch your **** character once every 30 minutes you lazy toads! If you a multi-boxing then it should not be ANY hassle to simply make your other character move every so often. You even get a big pop up for the last few minutes warning you that you are about to be logged out. Even if the character is logged out because you got sidetracked, then take the minute or two to log back in and redouble your efforts to suck less in the future. If you are actually fishing and such on that character then you won't be logged out because you are DOING something! So basically you want a slot on the server and a % of the resources we ALL share just so you can have a mule up at all times?
____________________________
"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!"
~Vigo the Carpathian
#51 Sep 19 2013 at 2:09 PM Rating: Good
*
55 posts
ShadowofaDoubt wrote:
Maybe because there are still queues to log in on certain worlds like Overful excalibur /shrugs. Apparently calling out your retainer does the same thing for duping afk timer.


I'm on Excalibur and I have never had to wait more than a minute since the update. Most of the time there is no queue or just about 15 people in it.
____________________________
FFXI
Comfortablynumb from Garuda
Metallious from Remora

FFXIV
Darkman Nightstar from Excalibur
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)