Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Already a way to game afk timerFollow

#52 Sep 19 2013 at 2:46 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,144 posts
rfolkker wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Pelacha wrote:
And are so pose to be talking about how to exploit the game. this trick just make me wonder how lazy people can be.


Not sure I'd call it an exploit. I'm not subscribed, but if I were... I pay for 30 days of service. Why shouldn't I be able to stay logged in the entire time?

I don't support people going AFK, but people being AFK isn't the issue. Server capacity is the issue. SE needs to fix the issue, not cover it with a bandaid.

Well, by your logic, SE should just assume that we are all playing 24 hours a day.

No. By my logic, SE should assume that you want to be able to log into the game when you want to and log out of the game when you want to. You paid for the time so how you use it should be up to you. I still have yet to see a valid reason to implement an AFK timer that wouldn't be remedied instead, by increasing server capacity.

It costs them money to increase server capacity, but it also allows more people to play and probably might have saved quite a few people who just got fed up and stopped trying altogether; people who also would have paid for their play time. How much money do you think it cost them to shut down digital sales for all that time? How much money do you think it cost them losing all the players who quit because of issues related to this?

tl;dr
Refusing sales and limiting service to 'keep costs down' and people trying to make a case for that... really?

____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#53 Sep 19 2013 at 3:28 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
Jeskradha wrote:
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:

Actually, if I log out, I lose my chat log, my chat settings, camera angle, and a bunch of other preset things I would rather not reset.


This might be the stupidest, laziest thing I've ever read, seriously.

If your not actually playing do everyone else a favor and just @#%^ing log out. I played WoW for 7+ years and never once had a problem with their AFK timer. I can't think of one good reason at this point you would need to leave your character logged in for any extended period of time while your not actually "playing" (as in actually doing something) the game. It just makes sense that they would want to reduce the stress on their servers by not having 10000 characters just standing around. If that bothers you then honestly your just selfish.

Waiting for a dungeon Que? Just move your character every so often, I mean I know its pretty hard to work up the effort to push a button every 10 mins or so.


So I'm managing a FC of ~250 people. It's stupid, somehow, to want to have my chat logs intact so I can view the little (and sometimes big) squabbles that members have between each other so I can point to my logs and say, "Yeah, you said and did this at such and such time so therefore here's a warning or a boot"?

When I'm booted for randomly being AFK studying (or because I didn't circumvent the AFK timer by moving my character as you suggest), I lose that.

You also think it's stupid to have an auto-disconnect timer shorter than the average queue timer for AK.

Why?

Quote:
Ok, the first part of this comment really confused me. How much work do you have to put forth to adjust your chat settings and camera angle? And what is so important about your chat log that you need to keep a record of it? I think I am really missing something here.


See above for reasoning.

Quote:
Now, the second part I almost agree with. If I was using the DF and waiting for a pick-up, yes, i would hate to be constantly kicked off. However, I, and everyone on here, am fully aware of said AFK timer, therefore i will take measurements to make sure I don't get kicked off, even something as simple as moving some inventory around or chatting in the LS or FC.


I guess I am not as coordinated as you when it comes to this. When I'm studying EMF and a problem takes 45 minutes alone, I'm usually too engrossed to look away. The only thing I have on is my sound at full blast to alert me when a queue pops. Or I could be doing chores, house work, and any number of things not associated with my computer.

Edited, Sep 23rd 2013 4:13am by HitomeOfBismarck
#54 Sep 19 2013 at 3:30 PM Rating: Default
15 posts
I can only think of a couple of games off hand that don't have a afk timer, Eve and FFXI. I really don't see the big deal behind it. In fact I kind of like it since when I come back to my PC I get to watch the awesome cinematic.
#55 Sep 20 2013 at 11:45 AM Rating: Decent
*
197 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
No. By my logic, SE should assume that you want to be able to log into the game when you want to and log out of the game when you want to. You paid for the time so how you use it should be up to you. I still have yet to see a valid reason to implement an AFK timer that wouldn't be remedied instead, by increasing server capacity.


So when I couldn't log into the game the whole weekend after launch cause there was 10000 characters AFK is me being able to log in and out of the game when I want right? Do you realize how frustrating it was not being able to play, then when I did log in there is 100+ people just standing in a sanctuary?

FilthMcNasty wrote:
It costs them money to increase server capacity, but it also allows more people to play and probably might have saved quite a few people who just got fed up and stopped trying altogether; people who also would have paid for their play time. How much money do you think it cost them to shut down digital sales for all that time? How much money do you think it cost them losing all the players who quit because of issues related to this?


And yet an AFK timer, something that is an industry standard, with a Que system would have possibly fixed this problem from the start, because from what I've read online, the majority of players who were not logging out were just doing it to hold their spot on the server.

Its a business no matter how you spin it, and I don't know how anyone can blame them for trying to reduce costs, cause that's what you do, you know, in a business. But maybe they should just cater to every selfish *** who has to be logged in 24/7.

HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
So I'm managing a FC of ~250 people. It's stupid, somehow, to want to have my chat logs intact so I can view the little (and sometimes big) squabbles that members have between each other so I can point to my logs and say, "Yeah, you said and did this at such and such time so therefore here's a warning or a boot"?


So in a FC of 250 people your the only officer? Sounds pretty stupid indeed (see bold, yeah I can do it to) and if your members are immature enough to argue over pixels, to the point of being booted, maybe find some more mature players? Or at the least weed out the 10 year olds.

HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
You also think it's stupid to have an auto-disconnect timer shorter than the average queue timer for AK.

Sorry but I am not as coordinated as you when it comes to this I guess. When I'm studying EMF and a problem takes 45 minutes alone, I'm usually too engrossed to look away. The only thing I have on is my sound at full blast to alert me when a queue pops. Or I could be doing chores, house work, and any number of things not associated with my computer.

I don't know what else to say to you except...the bolded is pretty accurate.


Again, how hard is it to remember to move your character?

During the time I played WoW, I had new born twins, which believe me is infinitly more demanding then anything you can think of, and add to that a full time job, and yet somehow I still managed to find time to do my dailies and raid, its called time management. Maybe you should get your priority's straight and get your **** done before you start trying to run dungeons.

If I'm going to Que up for something, I usually Que and then find something else to do IN GAME so I don't miss my timers, but I dunno, maybe I'm alone on this.

You do know what AFK means right, away from keyboard, I don't know what else to say to you except,...the bolded is pretty accurate

____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#56 Sep 20 2013 at 2:33 PM Rating: Good
****
5,745 posts
Jeskradha wrote:
So when I couldn't log into the game the whole weekend after launch cause there was 10000 characters AFK is me being able to log in and out of the game when I want right? Do you realize how frustrating it was not being able to play, then when I did log in there is 100+ people just standing in a sanctuary?

How do you know that those 100+ people aren't simply chatting with their LS/FC while they're waiting on Duty Finder to line them up for a dungeon?
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#57 Sep 20 2013 at 2:34 PM Rating: Default
****
4,144 posts
Jeskradha wrote:
Its a business no matter how you spin it, and I don't know how anyone can blame them for trying to reduce costs, cause that's what you do, you know, in a business.

Yes, they are a business and yes they are trying to reduce costs. Let's take a look at what actually happened though...

They didn't have the server capacity they needed to accommodate everyone. Would you agree? They did this to cut costs. That seems to be the point you're making here. I get it, but...

Not having enough server capacity caused them to shut down digital sales of the game. That costs them money. People were met with an endless string of error messages and not being able to login for the first few weeks. Many of them left and will try the game later on, but some probably packed it up and moved on. That costs them money. Bad press about these issues gets out and convinces people who might have been on the fence about buying the game to not buy it. That costs them money.

I understand the idea of cutting corners to save money. I don't understand doing so when it is going to cost you money both in the short and long term.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#58 Sep 20 2013 at 3:33 PM Rating: Decent
*
197 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Jeskradha wrote:
Its a business no matter how you spin it, and I don't know how anyone can blame them for trying to reduce costs, cause that's what you do, you know, in a business.

Yes, they are a business and yes they are trying to reduce costs. Let's take a look at what actually happened though...

They didn't have the server capacity they needed to accommodate everyone. Would you agree? They did this to cut costs. That seems to be the point you're making here. I get it, but...

Not having enough server capacity caused them to shut down digital sales of the game. That costs them money. People were met with an endless string of error messages and not being able to login for the first few weeks. Many of them left and will try the game later on, but some probably packed it up and moved on. That costs them money. Bad press about these issues gets out and convinces people who might have been on the fence about buying the game to not buy it. That costs them money.

I understand the idea of cutting corners to save money. I don't understand doing so when it is going to cost you money both in the short and long term.



I would agree they didn't have the server capacity needed, which was shortsightedness on their part, and the shut down on digital sales did cost them money.

I played WoW with my brother and some of his friends who wont even look at this game just because all they have heard is bad things about it, namely the issues they had at launch,

There is nothing SE can do about it now. I'm also sure their is alot of people who just got feed up and quit. Hopefully they push out some good content patches in the next year and can keep the player base they have now and draw back in some of the people they lost.

But, I still believe that if they had an implemented an AFK timer at launch, some, not all, of these issues could have been avoided. At least more people would have probably gotten to play during the first week.

Edit cause I didn't see this

svlyons wrote:
Jeskradha wrote:
So when I couldn't log into the game the whole weekend after launch cause there was 10000 characters AFK is me being able to log in and out of the game when I want right? Do you realize how frustrating it was not being able to play, then when I did log in there is 100+ people just standing in a sanctuary?

How do you know that those 100+ people aren't simply chatting with their LS/FC while they're waiting on Duty Finder to line them up for a dungeon?


Well for one thing, considering I couldn't log in for 3 days, along with a few of my friends, that points to the obvious that people were just afking to hold spots. I mean unless they were having a three day philosophical debate on the properties of Cactuar ****

On top of that, if their had been an AFK timer, then I would have know, because the afk'ers would have been kicked

Yoshi P wrote:
But like I mentioned earlier the 325,000 simultaneous connection is the number generate from those who also kept their characters logged in because they were worried they might not be able to login later, this number should start calming down.


Edited, Sep 20th 2013 5:39pm by Jeskradha
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#59 Sep 20 2013 at 3:53 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
100 posts
Gonna get some cake and continue to watch this thread fester like an open sore. Yuuup.
____________________________
FF: XIV - Server: Brynhildr
Name: Deadly Waltz
FC: SWORN
My Brayflox's Longstep Final Boss Guide - http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=13785160615194813
My Tanking Guide - http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=297&mid=1378648576133515117
-----------------
FF XI - Server: Phoenix
Name: Nakami
LS: VanadielReborn
#60 Sep 20 2013 at 4:18 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
I was number 84 in que. Guess its all the gill sellers. I still log out though, cause I want to give my ps3 a rest. The ole gal needs to last longer, so I get my moneys worth!

Cheers!
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#61 Sep 21 2013 at 3:15 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
Jeskradha and I seem to have had a misunderstanding.

However, I am always understanding of Filth's ignorance! So this remains:

FilthMcNasty wrote:
Not having enough server capacity caused them to shut down digital sales of the game. That costs them money. People were met with an endless string of error messages and not being able to login for the first few weeks. Many of them left and will try the game later on, but some probably packed it up and moved on. That costs them money. Bad press about these issues gets out and convinces people who might have been on the fence about buying the game to not buy it. That costs them money.

I understand the idea of cutting corners to save money. I don't understand doing so when it is going to cost you money both in the short and long term.


You're actually a great example of just how wrong the underlined statement is when it comes to the average gamer's mentality and MMOs.

Why haven't you followed all these alleged lost customers then? Because you won't just like all of the alleged people that have supposedly packed up and left for greener pastures. Even Killua is having a grand ol' time on Migard despite all the complaining he has done.

I think this line of thought was examined quite a bit during the first TWO weeks (you can count, I'm sure).

I'm sure they've received a lot of negative press about their release.

I'm also sure they've received:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn
http://www.gamespot.com/final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/games/2013/09/09/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-review-pc/
http://www.ign.com/games/final-fantasy-xiv-online/pc-20000148

overwhelming positive reception even when the release is accounted for.

My guess, from looking at this thread:

http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=137968703068456709

is that your guesses are incorrect.

Edited, Sep 23rd 2013 4:22am by HitomeOfBismarck
#62 Sep 22 2013 at 12:01 AM Rating: Decent
*
197 posts
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
So are you having any issues logging into the game now?
No? Didn't think so.

Is there also an AFK timer currently in place, yes, I fail to see your point in this. Yeah, they expanded their servers, opened more worlds, I get that. But it doesn't change the fact that people staying AFK was part of the initial problem.
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
Oh! It would have fixed the issues from the start. Yes..the issues where not enough servers were in place to handle the mass influx of players. Yes I can clearly see how adding an AFK timer would increase the server capacity to the extent it is now.

I never said it would have fixed the issues, I'm pretty sure I said,
Jeskradha wrote:
But, I still believe that if they had an implemented an AFK timer at launch, some, not all, of these issues could have been avoided. At least more people would have probably gotten to play during the first week.

I don't blame people for staying logged in that first week, it was a mistake on SE part to allow that to happen in the first place, as is them not having enough server space to begin with. 100% of everything that has happened with this launch has been SE fault.
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
You sound pretty selfish yourself, actually. Are you one of the players who whined incessantly on the official forums too? It's embarrassing reading things like that from entitled, whiny people honestly. It makes you think, "Wow, some people sure do take their pixelated characters and items quite seriously."

Not sure how I come off selfish? Because I payed for a game and was upset by the fact that me, and a number of my friends, were unable to play it. I have never been on the official forums, I am not a fan of huge forums that mostly get cluttered up with useless information. Do I take my pix-elated characters seriously, not so much. But seeing that I was pretty excited to play this game, I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to play.
Personally I consider an AFK timer to be a pretty standard practice(again, even netflix has one). Would I have been able to log in if their had been one in place from the start? We will never know now, but I'm willing to bet that I would have been able to get in at least once out of the 3 days that I couldn't
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
Actually, for a while, we only had two officers and no they weren't online 24/7.

cool story bro
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
Remember? This is something you dislike. People not logging off. So when two NA players living on the east coast have to go to bed to get up for work, things do get a little hectic. As I am up a lot during late night east coast times, I am able to monitor this.

I get it, you need to monitor your chat log. Apparently there are ways around the timer, there is in almost any MMO. Do you think SE will do anything about this? No probably not, because the number of people who will actually go to the trouble of doing this is probably marginal at this point.
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
I like how you generalize about the FC I'm apart of, though.

I didn't generalize your whole FC, only kids who like to argue in games. I play a BLM, and I've read through all of your posts in the BLM forums. I don't doubt that you are in intelligent player, and I'm sure you have a great group of players in your FC, But if I've learned anything from being in guilds, you either find the people who cause drama and get rid of them, or they eventually weed themselves out cause no one wants to play with them.
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
You're a very classy character. I'm sure you are an upstanding member of our online community who never argues over pedantic things online. Smiley: smile

Have we meet? Pretty sure I've never seen you in game.
Do I like to argue? Do you? Seems you've been responding to my posts so???????
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
Actually I'm guessing you'd be the player we just booted for whining non-stop about remedial things to the point where members were complaining about his complaints.

Again, cool story bro.
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
As easy as it is to stick a post into any modern web browser, view the red squigglies when you've entered something incorrectly, and fix it before hitting the post button.
Yet you seem to have forgotten to do so. It's called short term memory for a reason.

So, do you smoke then? Not sure what your getting at, I thought we were discussing an AFK timer.
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
Infinitely more demanding is humorous. I'm sure twins are quite the challenge

Do you have kids? My guess is no, so you have no idea WTF your talking about at this point.
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
My guess, from your post, is that you tend to prioritize things incorrectly. To me, forgetting a queue in a game filled with..wait you said it best yourself:
Jeskradha wrote:
pixels

is pretty standard when things in real life are more important to think about and focus on. Like family, a job, or school. But you knew that. Also an upstanding member of your offline community I'm sure!

I take care of my family. That fact that your making jabs at my personal life and my family is a little pathetic.


Edited, Sep 22nd 2013 2:02am by Jeskradha
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#63 Sep 22 2013 at 12:01 AM Rating: Default
*
197 posts
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
Jeskradha wrote:
I played WoW with my brother and some of his friends who wont even look at this game just because all they have heard is bad things about it, namely the issues they had at launch,

See this is a good thing. When people like your brother and yourself assume something about a game just from the release (because you failed to mention any other bad things you or your brother may have heard), our community benefits. We gain critical thinkers while WoW retains...well...you. :)

What my brother thinks is his own business, He played phase 3 for about 20 minutes and said "The game was boring, guess it might have gotten fun if I actually went and tired out the combat" at this point I just stopped talking to him about it,
I never assumed anything about this game, I didn't even know that it was a remake of a failed launch up until around the time of phase 3. A friend of mine pushed me into checking it out. Being a fan of FF I decided to give it a whirl. I played in phase 3, and pre-order that night.
I haven't played WoW in about 6 months, and I highly doubt I will again. Worst community in any MMO.
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
So then the question becomes: are you acting like a pedant, arguing over an online forum about an issue that no longer exists or do you legitimately have a point? Well, I think this will help you determine the answer:

Again, are you acting like a pedant, arguing over an online forum about an issue that no longer exists or do you legitimately have a point?
Pretty sure my point was
Jeskradha wrote:
If your not actually playing do everyone else a favor and just @#%^ing log out. I played WoW for 7+ years and never once had a problem with their AFK timer. I can't think of one good reason at this point you would need to leave your character logged in for any extended period of time while your not actually "playing" (as in actually doing something) the game. It just makes sense that they would want to reduce the stress on their servers by not having 10000 characters just standing around. If that bothers you then honestly your just selfish.

Pretty sure yours was,
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
Actually, if I log out, I lose my chat log, my chat settings, camera angle, and a bunch of other preset things I would rather not reset. .
Generally, though, if I'm online, I'm playing the game. Sometimes I will sit and study for at least 30 minutes while waiting for DF to pop if no one in the FC wants to play. It's quite annoying to see a 30 minute disconnect timer when 30 minutes is generally the queue time for a DPS. Greater if you run AK during prime time solo as a DPS when there aren't even enough servers to accommodate /full/ groups who are waiting to reserve an instance. I would have liked to see an hour, which is a reasonable amount of time for auto-disconnect.

Which I still think is stupid.
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#64 Sep 22 2013 at 5:14 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
Jeskradha wrote:
[Is there also an AFK timer currently in place, yes, I fail to see your point in this. Yeah, they expanded their servers, opened more worlds, I get that. But it doesn't change the fact that people staying AFK was part of the initial problem.


See: this is what I mean by critical thinking. We need more of this in 14, less of you.

An AFK timer would have done nothing. You know why? Exactly why this thread was created. When people were receiving 1017s and decided that they really wanted to play, not only would they have AFK'd but they would have also moved their character every x amount of minutes just to stay online. How? Probably through illegal means that would not easily be detected. You know how scripting works, right?

It's a bandaid: nothing more. There are still server issues even with the AFK timer in place (unrelated to login issues, actually) with frequent 90k's for some people.

Do you want them to decrease the amount of time to 10 minutes? Surely that MUST fix something.

Yet it won't. The only thing that will do something substantial is continuing to increase server capacity and split the DF servers up. You don't even have to be any sort of computer technician, network admin., or engineer to see what is blatantly painted on the wall.

Jeskradha wrote:
But, I still believe that if they had an implemented an AFK timer at launch, some, not all, of these issues could have been avoided. At least more people would have probably gotten to play during the first week.


You see where you said some? Yeah...maybe you should read the above, reflect on it a moment, then realize just how useless an AFK timer would have been to fix the much larger issue: server capacitance.

Some? No. If 'some' were fixed, we would not be having this discussion right now in a thread about getting around the AFK timer.

Jeskradha wrote:
I don't blame people for staying logged in that first week, it was a mistake on SE part to allow that to happen in the first place, as is them not having enough server space to begin with. 100% of everything that has happened with this launch has been SE fault.


Yep it has and yet they've already fixed the problem within a week of realizing it.

See, you come from WoW. You're at a disadvantage here. Most of us know what SE is like. In fact, most of us were quite surprised when the problem was not only addressed 5 days after it became evident it was a problem, but we were most surprised by the fact that Yoshi went into a detailed explanation about everything that went on.

Do you think this was the case in 11? Do you think they would have moved as quickly? You wouldn't know because this is your first time dealing with them.

And of course you've blamed people for logging in and AFKing during the first week:

Jeskradha wrote:
Do you realize how frustrating it was not being able to play, then when I did log in there is 100+ people just standing in a sanctuary?


Jeskradha wrote:
Not sure how I come off selfish?


Well for one you've complained about not being able to play your video game over the course of two weeks due to server strain. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who have bigger issues than logging into their online game and playing their virtual character. You are not adult enough to realize how childish this temper tantrum is and cannot forgive people for mistakes. It's selfish behavior.

While I am not condoning SE's actions because I do agree they should have been more prepared, they have gone to great lengths to apologize to their consumer base, amend things as quick as possible, and provide compensation in return. Yet, none of this registers in that think pan of yours. It's all about mememe up there.

Jeskradha wrote:
Because I payed for a game and was upset by the fact that me, and a number of my friends, were unable to play it. I have never been on the official forums, I am not a fan of huge forums that mostly get cluttered up with useless information. Do I take my pix-elated characters seriously, not so much. But seeing that I was pretty excited to play this game, I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to play.


First let's make it clear: you pay for a game. You are not guaranteed playtime at all. You did read the ToS, right? No? Well that may be why I am under the impression that you are ignorant to many things involving this game.

Yet you're able to play now on a regular basis. And what do you think? And more importantly: why haven't you left this game and gone back to WoW if the development and community team are as evil and corrupt as you make them out to be.

And the bolded is quite humorous. You have a full time job and raise twins. I'm told this is infinitely more difficult than anything I can imagine. Well, what I can imagine is studying for 5 hours a day on the weekends/weekdays, working part time during the weekdays while going to school full time, and looking for internships/co-ops in the mean time. This leaves me with time to play FFXIV yet I still prioritize all of that over this game. I'm glad FFXIV is so casual that I can easily get to endgame with minimal effort and still have fun even with a tight schedule.

However, you still devote an abnormal amount of time to gaming. Your task is apparently infinitely more difficult than mine so to me that says you should probably not even consider gaming at the moment.

Let me define it more explicitly for you:

If my play time allows me to play a small amount with a tight schedule and your tasks are infinitely more time consuming than mine are with my tight schedule, then it follows that you do not have enough time to be playing a game.

Less you were mistaken and somehow misjudged the difficulties in your real life.

Jeskradha wrote:
Personally I consider an AFK timer to be a pretty standard practice(again, even netflix has one). Would I have been able to log in if their had been one in place from the start? We will never know now, but I'm willing to bet that I would have been able to get in at least once out of the 3 days that I couldn't


Personally, I wouldn't presume to know how to do another person's job if I wasn't qualified in that field myself.

It's pretty easy to figure out why your line of reasoning is flawed. It's pretty difficult to impart this upon you.

Jeskradha wrote:
I get it, you need to monitor your chat log. Apparently there are ways around the timer, there is in almost any MMO. Do you think SE will do anything about this? No probably not, because the number of people who will actually go to the trouble of doing this is probably marginal at this point.


They were reluctant to place an AFK timer in the game to begin with because they realized that this would not solve the problem in the long run.

So they did the intelligent thing: ordered more servers instead of wasting time programming an AFK timer into their game. You know: because taking the freeze off their sales would be the intelligent thing for any company to do and the only way they were going to do this was with more servers: not a bandaid AFK timer.

Jeskradha wrote:
I didn't generalize your whole FC, only kids who like to argue in games. I play a BLM, and I've read through all of your posts in the BLM forums. I don't doubt that you are in intelligent player, and I'm sure you have a great group of players in your FC, But if I've learned anything from being in guilds, you either find the people who cause drama and get rid of them, or they eventually weed themselves out cause no one wants to play with them.


I don't think we've had an outbreak of 'drama' in the past week. You know what else I've learned bout WoW guilds? They generally aren't as large as FCs. Determining who is problematic and who is not is a little more difficult given that it takes a while to learn what types of personalities people have.

Jeskradha wrote:
Have we meet? Pretty sure I've never seen you in game.
Do I like to argue? Do you? Seems you've been responding to my posts so???????


See this wasn't the point. You stated the following:

Jeskradha wrote:
So in a FC of 250 people your the only officer? Sounds pretty stupid indeed (see bold, yeah I can do it to) and if your members are immature enough to argue over pixels, to the point of being booted, maybe find some more mature players? Or at the least weed out the 10 year olds.


Just a little bit of contradiction on your part. You're arguing online about a game with pixels. By your own classification, you would fall in this 'immature' category of players. Hence, the point of quoting it and pointing to the fact that you're arguing over an online forum about remedial issues.

I never said anything about my tendency to argue online/offline. It's true: I do. So if it's true you do and I do, I think your attack is a little off the mark. It doesn't make a player immature to want to argue online and that is what you have to deal with in such a large FC. Can you boot people for wanting to argue? Sure if it gets excessive. What's excessive?

Well this is my problem and not yours. Point: it's not as easy as you think it is to eliminate said immature players if they haven't shown their true colors yet or border on immaturity. And keeping track of 250 of them? Yeah, good luck.

As for your question: at what point do you think it's required that we meet to know where you stand on an issue when it's just as easy to assess your personality based off of your responses? Are you trying to tell me you don't act like this in-game?

Interesting. If you concede that you do not act like this in game, that means you're pretty much arguing over a non-issue at the moment: one you started by attacking someone with a legitimate reason for wanting to stay logged on for longer than 30 minutes despite being away from the computer for short amounts of time.

I'll tell you something interesting, though: not once have I left my game on over night or held a spot for myself during the first two weeks by AFKing. It's not needed for a number of reasons already listed.

However, the ones I listed are legitimate. Settings reset, chat logs are lost, and you must requeue for a dungeon again (repeating the cycle over and over).

Jeskradha wrote:
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
Actually I'm guessing you'd be the player we just booted for whining non-stop about remedial things to the point where members were complaining about his complaints.

Again, cool story bro.


It's a pretty cool story. If I didn't know you and you joined my FC then decided to spam FC chat with all this whining you're currently doing over login issues that no longer exist, we'd probably tell you to tone it down. But you don't seem to want to back down therefore wouldn't we just label you as an immature player and remove you? At least, that's what you're suggesting above.

[quote=Jeskradha]So, do you smoke then? Not sure what your getting at, I thought we were discussing an AFK timer.[/quote]

No you decided to attack me based on wanting to study while I'm in queue. You stated:

[quote=Jeskradha]Again, how hard is it to remember to move your character?

If I'm going to Que up for something, I usually Que and then find something else to do IN GAME so I don't miss my timers, but I dunno, maybe I'm alone on this.[/quote]


See? You forget so easily. Short term memory loss.

Let me just spell the analogy out:

It's as easy to forget about a queue timer in a game as it is to forget to stick your post in a browser, have spell check tell you exactly what's wrong, and forget to amend the mistakes it has told you you've made before you hit post.

You neglect the fact that WoW's queue system has a very loud sound as soon as it pops. You've played WoW: you know this. I'm sure you've missed queues too because your twins have caught you at a bad time. You're not perfect (see: above) and neither is anyone else. Attacking someone because you think they should be glued to their monitor when you yourself do not abide by the same principles is hypocritical.

Now, you wish to talk about how this relates to an AFK timer.

If you're at the end of the game, you'd know that we have this 'wonderful' dungeon that we need to run each week to cap our tomes of mythology. It's regularly a long queue. Around 30 minutes I'd say if not 45 to an hour.

Now, when NA prime time comes around, this queue time becomes longer because even full groups are not able to enter. Know why? Well, that's because there aren't enough instances for everyone to reserve. This causes the queue time to shoot up even further. Sometimes an hour for a solo DPS class.

I don't know about you, but I don't have much else to do in-game while I'm waiting on a queue. Crafting/gathering? Working on it. Can only handle it in small doses. Can't do level quests. Can't level my chocobo. Can't assist FC members with things they need. You could go quest...but the quests are limited so it's best to save them for other jobs. You could go level other jobs in FATEs but I prefer dungeon grinding. I can't queue for two dungeons at the same time for two different jobs.

I'm pretty much left with: sit in town and wait for queue to pop. I can surf the web if I want but there's a chance I still will miss the queue. I'd rather do something useful with my time where I have a chance to hear the queue pop and that's simply study to the right of my monitor with the speakers on full blast. Sometimes I will miss it because the sound is very light and I'll be too involved in other things. My primary goal was to queue for a dungeon but things do come up. Should I just sit in town twiddling my thumbs? Sounds like an enormous waste of time to me.

Why do you fail to see why it is idiotic to have an AFK timer in place that is shorter than the average AK queue time during NA prime time for a DPS?

[quote=Jeskradha]Do you have kids? My guess is no, so you have no idea WTF your talking about at this point.[/quote]

I can't have kids.

My mom raised my sister and I while working full time as a nurse while my dad worked full time as a detective. Yet, when she looks at the things I study, I realize she can't begin to fathom just how complicated the subject matter can be.

Dismissing someone else's work load as trivial when it's clear you cannot even grasp the mechanics behind something as basic as a server is what is so disturbing. My degree deals with this type of thing. This is why I can understand the difficulty that SE had to deal with: why I used patience and understanding to get through the short amount of time it took them to get things in order and why you act like a raging mongrel when you can't play your game for 2 weeks.

[quote=Jeskradha]Again, are you acting like a pedant, arguing over an online forum about an issue that no longer exists or do you legitimately have a point?[/quote]

While I do have a point, it's clear you'll never understand it no matter if I write a few lines of text or a thesis.

[quote=Jeskradha]If your not actually playing do everyone else a favor and just @#%^ing log out. I played WoW for 7+ years and never once had a problem with their AFK timer. I can't think of one good reason at this point you would need to leave your character logged in for any extended period of time while your not actually "playing" (as in actually doing something) the game. It just makes sense that they would want to reduce the stress on their servers by not having 10000 characters just standing around. If that bothers you then honestly your just selfish. [/quote]

So this is your point. You played WoW for 7+ years and never once had a problem with their AFK timer. I'm glad.

This isn't WoW. But it's funny:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3313036722

It seems that, despite having no reason for staying logged into WoW, their players also have no problem circumventing the auto disconnect, consuming these valuable server resources that you speak of.

Your 'point' illustrates your ignorance about server mechanics as well. One, we already know the server cap which you pointed out incorrectly. Two, as someone has already told you in this thread, a stationery player's stress on the server is negligible compared to those performing more complicated tasks like crafting, leveling, interacting with NPCs, MOVING, etc.

You know how programming works? Let's just say it takes a considerable amount of computational power to, say, walk around town compared to someone sitting there motionless. If I were to ask you: which do you think is more difficult? Using the distance equation to calculate player movement and vector calculations to determine direction and magnitude of the player's movement (walking or running) or using the distance equation to calculate stationary player movement and vector calculations to determine the direction and magnitude of a stationary player?

A stationary player doesn't move. The calculations are simple because, you know, the 3D coordinate system for the dist. eqn with a bunch of 0s ends up being 0 and determining the magnitude of a directional vector when someone isn't moving is also pretty simplistic. Want a direction? Well, which way is the player facing? Is he facing that direction for a long period of time? Yes.

So when the server goes to recheck the status of that player, he hasn't done anything. Nothing changes. Few computations needed. None if their programmers are intelligent.

Different case with a moving player. How about a player crafting? And one in battle? Yeah a little more complex.

[quote=Jeskradha]Pretty sure yours was[/quote]

Citation needed. I don't think you've understood my point at all.

[quote=Jeskradha]Which I still think is stupid.[/quote]

Will you raise your children to act in this manner towards other people?

[quote=Jeskradha]I take care of my family. That fact that your making jabs at my personal life and my family is a little pathetic.[/quote]

You mean like the plethora of 'jabs' you've made at my own. Smiley: lol

Edited, Sep 23rd 2013 4:35am by HitomeOfBismarck
#65 Sep 22 2013 at 6:34 PM Rating: Good
*
197 posts
I'm getting to lazy to bother with quotes so here is some things to think about.

The servers were not big enough, I understand that. I am aware of the other issues people were having on top of not being able to log in. My suggestion is that if had their been an AFK timer at launch, I'm sure more people would have gotten the chance to at least play at some point during the first week, and maybe, just maybe, people wouldn't have felt the need to stay in game just to hold a spot. Regardless of sever size, and regardless of people finding a way around the timer, its plausible to believe that some people would have still been getting kicked by an AFK timer allowing others to get in. But. like I said we will never know.

Yes I played WoW, I've also played Rift and GW2, I did not play FF11. Personally I wasn't that surprised how fast they fixed things, Its a revamp of a failed launch, do you think they wanted a repeat in any form?

How this turned into a rant about me not being able to log in is beyond me. Yeah I said I was upset I didn't get to play, I didn't smash my keyboard in a fit of rage, I went and played Last of Us.

While I said SE is 100% responsible for what has happened, I do not hold any enmity towards them. They have made what I think is a pretty awesome game, and they have, like you said, been very quick to fix things, and have been very informative on what they have done and are planning to do.

At no point did I make out that their development team is evil and corrupt.

If you feel that I have trivialized your life or what you do, or made some sort of personal jab at you, then I apologize, because that was not my intent.

I do not devote an abnormal amount of time to gaming, I play for 1 hour during the day while my kids nap, and then 2-4 hours at night depending on how long I can actually stay awake.

I have a degree in IT and my brother works as a software engineer, I probably have a better understand of whats going on then you think I do. On top of that, I also played WoW since vanilla, so if were done measuring ****** can we move forward. Or do you need my resume and a list of my WoW toons so you can armory them?

I will still maintain my stance that keeping your character logged in at any point to me is stupid. As I said, if your not playing just log out. You disagree with me on this, I accept that. I can agree with the fact that maybe it should be pushed up to an hour due to dungeon que times.

Why you feel its necessary to make gross assumptions about how I raise my kids is beyond me. My children are quite easy to handle and they are the light of my life.

Thank you for your illustration on server mechanics and programming. Why you assume I'm ignorant is beyond me. Because I was upset about not being able to log into a game that I was extremely excited to play, or because I support the idea of an AFK timer? Honestly, I just makes sense to me, whats the real point of having X amount of players just idling in game for no reason? There really is'nt. Maybe I should clarify though, I'm not talking about people who are idle waiting for ques, I'm talking about people who are legitimately to lazy to just log out, or people who may have minimized their window and forgot about it, or someone who had to run to check on a crying baby and ended up having to do a feeding. Somehow I feel we have gotten off track from this.

Also, just to clarify, I took a lot away from your BLM posts, and I thank you for it.



____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#66 Sep 22 2013 at 6:51 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
100 posts
And this is why I love pointless threads. *Noms on some popcorn* Someone wanna grab me some Skittles from the candy store? *Waves around a few dollars* I'll pay for you to get a bag too. Get the yogurt ones, those are good. *Opens a comic* Now to continue reading my comic while watching the thread fester still.
____________________________
FF: XIV - Server: Brynhildr
Name: Deadly Waltz
FC: SWORN
My Brayflox's Longstep Final Boss Guide - http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=13785160615194813
My Tanking Guide - http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=297&mid=1378648576133515117
-----------------
FF XI - Server: Phoenix
Name: Nakami
LS: VanadielReborn
#67 Sep 23 2013 at 12:39 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,216 posts
I skip the AFK timer - it's too short a time period set at 30 minutes... couple of hours - fine yep, but 30 minutes could quite easily be the time it takes to sort out some food, make a cuppa etc.

The other reason I skip it is that people who know me from 11 know that I tend to flit back and forward to the computer over the course of the day and that it's on in the lounge, where I'm usually occupied with the kids when they're awake - but if people want to get hold of me for a quick reply to something or to arrange something for later on in the day (I try to have a rule where I won't play when my kids are awake apart from replying to the odd tell - but I get a couple of short chunks of time while they nap etc and when they go to bed at night) then generally they've known from that that if they chuck me a tell I'll hear it and reply when I get a second. It's annoying not to be able to do that - if they raised the AFK timer up to say the 2 hour mark it would mean people could be on, queue for the longer queuing dungeons or have things like I do popping back and forward to the PC... but if they went off to go out of the house or go to bed or whatever else (like wandering off and getting sidetracked into something/wife/cat/dog/gerbil aggro or whatever else) they'd get kicked to free up the server space for someone else - which no one really I think would have much of an issue with, since that seems to be the true use of an AFK timer - not to boot you the second you go to the bathroom!

I think they need to look at raising the AFK time cap now the initial server bombardment's gone over with and since the population's probably dropped off a bit since the free trial for 1.0 owners is over and the free time for new-2.0 purchasers is coming to an end
#68 Sep 23 2013 at 2:03 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
Sigh...I fear we've just misunderstood each other and have been running in circles. Let's just see what we can see eye to eye on and agree to disagree with the rest.

Jeskradha wrote:
The servers were not big enough, I understand that. I am aware of the other issues people were having on top of not being able to log in. My suggestion is that if had their been an AFK timer at launch, I'm sure more people would have gotten the chance to at least play at some point during the first week, and maybe, just maybe, people wouldn't have felt the need to stay in game just to hold a spot. Regardless of sever size, and regardless of people finding a way around the timer, its plausible to believe that some people would have still been getting kicked by an AFK timer allowing others to get in. But. like I said we will never know.


It's a little funny talking about this subject in this thread in particular. You know it's about circumventing the AFK timer. Plenty of people would have done so just to stay logged on. Many people would resort to cheating if they had to just to play this game it would seem.

It is very plausible to believe that the AFK timer would have let people in that would not have been due to AFKs. At the same time, it's also plausible that they were focusing on how to fix the base issue instead of just applying bandaids.

My question to you: why is this so important? What did you want to do during the first two weeks?

I don't understand how such a small amount of time you've spent focusing on this game is relevant when you (and me) will most likely spend the next 1~3+ years here if Yoshi keeps it up. What have you really lost?

We get your point: AFK timer would have fixed a few issues. My question is: we no longer have those issues so why bother obsessing over them? Not only can we login due to more servers but we also have the AFK timer you wished for.

Is your opinion of this game rooted in the first two weeks? You've stated it is an amazing game. Wasn't it worth just a little bit of hassle to experience it?

Jeskradha wrote:
Yes I played WoW, I've also played Rift and GW2, I did not play FF11. Personally I wasn't that surprised how fast they fixed things, Its a revamp of a failed launch, do you think they wanted a repeat in any form?


Of course not which is why most of us could see the painting on the wall and just rode out the storm. No need for irrationality when it's clear that they are doing everything to fix things. Reading some of Yoshi's developer blog entries makes you really wonder how he can still function when he seems to have been working non-stop since the launch. I even thought it was rather admirable that he wouldn't play the game when many customers could not do so during the first two weeks.

Jeskradha wrote:
How this turned into a rant about me not being able to log in is beyond me. Yeah I said I was upset I didn't get to play, I didn't smash my keyboard in a fit of rage, I went and played Last of Us.

While I said SE is 100% responsible for what has happened, I do not hold any enmity towards them. They have made what I think is a pretty awesome game, and they have, like you said, been very quick to fix things, and have been very informative on what they have done and are planning to do.

At no point did I make out that their development team is evil and corrupt.


My apologies, then. I assumed you were part of the irrational crowd.

Jeskradha wrote:
If you feel that I have trivialized your life or what you do, or made some sort of personal jab at you, then I apologize, because that was not my intent.

I do not devote an abnormal amount of time to gaming, I play for 1 hour during the day while my kids nap, and then 2-4 hours at night depending on how long I can actually stay awake.


Then we have just misunderstood each other and, like you, I apologize.

Jeskradha wrote:
I have a degree in IT and my brother works as a software engineer, I probably have a better understand of whats going on then you think I do. On top of that, I also played WoW since vanilla, so if were done measuring ****** can we move forward. Or do you need my resume and a list of my WoW toons so you can armory them?


It wouldn't be possible unless you've logged in recently. Even though I only quit in the spring, my armory for my mage is no longer available. I'm glad you and your brother have some formal education regarding electronics and networks. Why, though, did your brother decide to stay away from a game simply due to problems within the first two weeks? As a software engineer (or engineer of any sort), I'm sure he knew that these problems were short term and actually expected.

And while we three have technical backgrounds, many of the problems listed here pertain to player mentality and sociology.

Jeskradha wrote:
I will still maintain my stance that keeping your character logged in at any point to me is stupid. As I said, if your not playing just log out. You disagree with me on this, I accept that. I can agree with the fact that maybe it should be pushed up to an hour due to dungeon que times.


It's fine to disagree with a person's opinion. ****, you could have just stated so and I wouldn't have minded.

But you singled my post out, quoted it, and then said, "That's the stupidest thing I've read in this thread."

You didn't even care about my reasoning or any possible implications: just that it was stupid.

Another player asked me the same question you did in this thread. He asked me to explain my post because one part made some sense but another didn't. I would have happily explained my rationale to him (and you) if you had just asked instead of lighting a fire under me.

This AFK timer currently runs the risk of losing data that I potentially would like to record. I could have just gotten out of a really bad AK group. IIRC, we can't BLIST players across servers. How else are we to remember their names if not to log them in a text document or a screenshot?

The same goes for FC chat and tells.

I'll give you a scenario. I'm in Ul'dah looking for a group. I can't find one so I'll go study for a few minutes. Someone on my FLIST /tells me and asks me if I want to go do coils with them. Well, I'm AFK so I don't respond. Studying 'for a few minutes' turns into 30 and I'm booted for being AFK. I log back in and am now oblivious to any tells I have received in the past 30 minutes.

This includes: RMT /tells that I'd like to BLIST, FC chat, officer chat, tells from other random players, etc.

It's ok to not think the above is a big deal.

However, what about the queue time for a DPS for AK during prime time. You seem to want SE to use logic (see: AFK timer during first two weeks) but they seem to have gone overboard and made it shorter than the average wait time. What logic is there behind this? I see that you think they may have went overboard in this regard too.

So it's ok for you to express annoyance about lack of an AFK timer during the first two weeks but not ok for someone else to express annoyance over a short AFK timer?

We both support the AFK timer but have differing views on how (and when) it should have been implemented. Instead of insulting me, you should have just asked me what logic I had to justify my position just as I did in the above paragraph in regards to why you are lingering on past issues.

Jeskradha wrote:
Why you feel its necessary to make gross assumptions about how I raise my kids is beyond me. My children are quite easy to handle and they are the light of my life.


For the same reason you feel it necessary to tell me your life seems to be infinitely more challenging compared to what I'm currently doing in mine.

Jeskradha wrote:
Thank you for your illustration on server mechanics and programming. Why you assume I'm ignorant is beyond me. Because I was upset about not being able to log into a game that I was extremely excited to play, or because I support the idea of an AFK timer? Honestly, I just makes sense to me, whats the real point of having X amount of players just idling in game for no reason? There really is'nt. Maybe I should clarify though, I'm not talking about people who are idle waiting for ques, I'm talking about people who are legitimately to lazy to just log out, or people who may have minimized their window and forgot about it, or someone who had to run to check on a crying baby and ended up having to do a feeding. Somehow I feel we have gotten off track from this.


I assumed so because it seems like you had some misconceptions about programming and how servers functioned. And yes: part of it was because you were upset about not being able to log in for two weeks.

I support the AFK timer so if you're ignorant in that regard, then so am I.

Your argument is rational. The question I answered was in response to, "Why would you stay logged in 14 when there is no purpose to it?" I just provided some examples as to why some people may want to remain logged in despite being AFK. These people aren't too lazy to log out: they have a reason.

Then you ranted angrily at me about how these reasons were not legitimate to you and that it was stupid reasoning.

Let me put it this way: I see it as irrational to complain about not being able to log in for two weeks just as you see it as irrational for me to want to stay logged in for longer than 30 minutes for a number of reasons listed.

Overall, I do not think either of us are irrational humans after reading this response of yours. You could have easily gone on the offensive and turned this into a big quote war but decided to act like an adult.

I think, as two adults, we can forgive each other for wrong doings and easily agree to disagree I hope?


Jeskradha wrote:
Also, just to clarify, I took a lot away from your BLM posts, and I thank you for it.


There is still much to be done. I wish more people would post in that forum. :)
#69 Sep 23 2013 at 10:30 AM Rating: Good
*
197 posts
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:

It is very plausible to believe that the AFK timer would have let people in that would not have been due to AFKs. At the same time, it's also plausible that they were focusing on how to fix the base issue instead of just applying bandaids.

My question to you: why is this so important? What did you want to do during the first two weeks?

I don't understand how such a small amount of time you've spent focusing on this game is relevant when you (and me) will most likely spend the next 1~3+ years here if Yoshi keeps it up. What have you really lost?


I do understand that they were more focused on fixing the base issue over just applying a quick fix that wouldn't have really changed anything besides allowing a few more players the chance to play. I guess what I didn't understand is why they didn't have an AFK timer in the first place, coming from games like WoW and GW2,

As I've said, I wasn't really all the upset about not being able to play the first two weeks.

The only thing that did bother me is given my limited play time, personally, I'm not where I wanted to be at this point in the game, My BLM is only level 40 at this point and given that most people in my FC are currently forming groups to farm end game content I feel like I am a little behind the curve. Its not the end of the world, but its frustrating all the same. Luckly for me, my closest friend is playing a tank and is awesome enough to run me through every dungeon so far, including running through brayflox 15 times to get the battle mage set, and will help me at 50 to get caught up to where he is at.

HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
We get your point: AFK timer would have fixed a few issues. My question is: we no longer have those issues so why bother obsessing over them? Not only can we login due to more servers but we also have the AFK timer you wished for.

Is your opinion of this game rooted in the first two weeks? You've stated it is an amazing game. Wasn't it worth just a little bit of hassle to experience it?


It was worth the wait. To me this is the most fun I've had in an MMO since Burning Crusade.

I don't really feel I'm obsessing over the issue, but like I've said, and most of the people I play with agree with me, I don't really understand the point of staying logged into a game unless your actually doing something. But I do see your point with the dungeon ques and wanting to keep you chat logs etc.

HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
Of course not which is why most of us could see the painting on the wall and just rode out the storm. No need for irrationality when it's clear that they are doing everything to fix things. Reading some of Yoshi's developer blog entries makes you really wonder how he can still function when he seems to have been working non-stop since the launch. I even thought it was rather admirable that he wouldn't play the game when many customers could not do so during the first two weeks.


I have the utmost respect for Yoshi, how that guy is even still standing is beyond me.

HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
My apologies, then. I assumed you were part of the irrational crowd.


Its fine, I first came to this forum during the open beta, there was a lot of stupid kids raging about things on here. Lets just leave it at that.

HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
It wouldn't be possible unless you've logged in recently. Even though I only quit in the spring, my armory for my mage is no longer available. I'm glad you and your brother have some formal education regarding electronics and networks. Why, though, did your brother decide to stay away from a game simply due to problems within the first two weeks? As a software engineer (or engineer of any sort), I'm sure he knew that these problems were short term and actually expected.

And while we three have technical backgrounds, many of the problems listed here pertain to player mentality and sociology.


I really don't know why my brother is being such an ***. When we were kids we got a NES and the first game we bought was Final Fantasy. We both played FF7 to the extreme, as well as FF8, 9, and 10. So with him being a fan of FF I don't really understand why he is being so narrow minded. When I initially brought this game up to him, I think it was before phase 3, I think his comment was something like, "A game that was so ****** they had to completely scrap it, yeah sounds like something I want to play"
As I said, he gave it a shot during the open beta and didn't even get past the initial starting quests, didn't even try the combat at all, and said, "Its boring". So basically he is just an ***. Then when they started having all the issues at launch, he just used that as another reason why he was glad he didn't even bother with it. Whatever. Like I said I don't even talk to him about it anymore.

HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
It's fine to disagree with a person's opinion. ****, you could have just stated so and I wouldn't have minded.

But you singled my post out, quoted it, and then said, "That's the stupidest thing I've read in this thread."

You didn't even care about my reasoning or any possible implications: just that it was stupid.

Another player asked me the same question you did in this thread. He asked me to explain my post because one part made some sense but another didn't. I would have happily explained my rationale to him (and you) if you had just asked instead of lighting a fire under me.

This AFK timer currently runs the risk of losing data that I potentially would like to record. I could have just gotten out of a really bad AK group. IIRC, we can't BLIST players across servers. How else are we to remember their names if not to log them in a text document or a screenshot?

The same goes for FC chat and tells.


I apologize. Mostly I think I was just in a ****** mood that day. I understand your reasons for wanting to stay logged in. As I said, I can wholly agree with the fact that it should be pushed up to an hour.

HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
So it's ok for you to express annoyance about lack of an AFK timer during the first two weeks but not ok for someone else to express annoyance over a short AFK timer?


No its not, and your absolutely right.

HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
For the same reason you feel it necessary to tell me your life seems to be infinitely more challenging compared to what I'm currently doing in mine.


I think you mis-understood what I was trying to say with this, and I think I used a poor choice of words. I only meant that taking care of new born twins is something that you can't possible understand with out doing it. 3-4 months of no sleep and no real escape except going to work, its pretty demanding, Luckily for me, my wife and I are both very reasonable, she gave me free time to do things I wanted to do, as in play WoW, and I gave her time to do things she needed to do, that way we both didn't go completely insane.

HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
Overall, I do not think either of us are irrational humans after reading this response of yours. You could have easily gone on the offensive and turned this into a big quote war but decided to act like an adult.

I think, as two adults, we can forgive each other for wrong doings and easily agree to disagree I hope?


We can, and its always a pleasure to meet someone who can be an adult.

HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
Jeskradha wrote:
Also, just to clarify, I took a lot away from your BLM posts, and I thank you for it.
There is still much to be done. I wish more people would post in that forum. :)

As do I, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information out there right now, but hopefully that will come with time.
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#70 Sep 23 2013 at 11:09 AM Rating: Good
****
5,745 posts
If you have to use more than 3 quotes in a post, you're trying to address too many things in a single post.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 70 All times are in CST
Callinon, Theonehio, Anonymous Guests (68)