Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Are the lancer skills important to the bard class?Follow

#1 Sep 26 2013 at 4:21 PM Rating: Decent
15 posts
It shows that they have cross class skills to level 44, but I have no actual interest in playing the lancer class. Are these skills very beneficial or not so much?
#2 Sep 26 2013 at 4:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
Invigorate and Blood for Blood are critical to your damage output, don't skip them.
#3 Sep 26 2013 at 4:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
239 posts
Agreed, I am grinding my Lancer even though I have no interest. Invigorate is nice but Blood for Blood is a HUGE increase to damage and it stacks with Raging so...........
____________________________
Quote:
WAR has access to enough enmity gear and enough hate-inducing JA to aggro baby jesus.


Quote:
When I'm trying to decide what spell to cast I look at the mobs' weaknesses, check the day, check the weather and then calmly cast Thunder IV.
#4 Sep 26 2013 at 5:38 PM Rating: Decent
*
181 posts
Funny, to me, that you ask this question. I've just spent the last three nights getting my LNC from 1 to 31. Only three more levels until I get Blood for Blood.

If you have never leveled a class outside of your main past lv15, then you might be in for a "treat". Leveling without dungeon and sidequest exp is a little tricky. tl;dr, I had to get really good at predicting when FATEs in South Shroud show up.

Edited, Sep 26th 2013 5:49pm by fatpolomanjr
____________________________
Wiggums: "Lou! Lou are you alright!?"
Lou: The electric yellow has got me by the brain banana.
Hunter Gathers (Goblin)
#5 Sep 26 2013 at 5:44 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,437 posts
Quote:
Leveling without dungeon and sidequest exp is a little tricky. tl;dr, I had to get really good at predicting when FATEs in South Shroud show up.

Smiley: dubious

You can still do dungeons. In fact, go.. do dungeons. They're fantastic xp.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#6 Sep 26 2013 at 6:14 PM Rating: Default
Quote:
You can still do dungeons. In fact, go.. do dungeons. They're fantastic xp when you do them as a FC/LS Group and not a PUG.

Fixed
____________________________
FFXIV Character, Trixi Athensa
[ffxisig]199948[/ffxisig]
#7 Sep 26 2013 at 6:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
*
91 posts
pufardo, Tarutaru Murder Suspect wrote:
Quote:
You can still do dungeons. In fact, go.. do dungeons. They're fantastic xp when you do them as a FC/LS Group and not a PUG.

Fixed



I disagree, at least on Ultros. I queue up, do a few dates, or some leves and generally go about my way. Eventually I get in somewhere and get great exp once I'm in. I do this every morning before I get ready for work.
____________________________
The Singularity is near.


When you see an RMT advertisement, please file a report by using the in-game command [System Menu] -> [Support Desk] -> [Contact Us] -> [Report Cheating].
#8 Sep 26 2013 at 7:15 PM Rating: Good
*
181 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:

You can still do dungeons. In fact, go.. do dungeons. They're fantastic xp.


I was ranking up my Companion at the same time, so no queue for me till he hit Rank 4. Even then at level 26 the best dungeon was Toto-Rak, and for the >1 hour it took to complete the exp was mediocre. Queuing up as a dps gives one lots of free time as well, so may as well FATE grind once the Hunting log is expended.

They say Brayflox is a good dungeon to get exp; I just feel that the level 23-30 gap, which is pre-Brayflox, is a bit of a push.

Edited, Sep 26th 2013 6:16pm by fatpolomanjr
____________________________
Wiggums: "Lou! Lou are you alright!?"
Lou: The electric yellow has got me by the brain banana.
Hunter Gathers (Goblin)
#9 Sep 26 2013 at 9:36 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
66 posts
I started a Lancer got her to 15, then decided I wanted to be a Bard. Just hit 41 going back to level up my Lancer again Fates all the way. Quickest and easiest way IMO.
#10 Sep 27 2013 at 1:47 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
4,506 posts
I dont know about Blood for Blood though...

I mean, is it going to help? Sure. But you already have Raging Strikes and Hawk's Eye natively. Internal Release because of the puglist requirements for BRD is also pretty much guaranteed to be in there.

It seems like a LOT of trouble to go through just to get a 15 second duration ability. Which, if you stack all 4 (5 if you hit Quelling Strikes not to pull hate) of your abilities, is something you only get to enjoy for 10-11 seconds due to GCD.

Is it going to up your damage? I cant say that it doesnt. It will be better than what you had before. It just doesnt seem worth it unless you want to do some serious MIN/MAX'ing. And then there's the enmity it'll pull. You already have to hold back tremendously when fighting something of worth not to get hate to start with.

Impulse Drive at level 8 is pretty sweet though.

Maybe in some super zerg situation you get some use out of it, otherwise i dont see why you should bother.
____________________________
[XI] Surivere of Valefor
[XIV] Sir Surian Bedivere of Behemoth
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2401553/
#11 Sep 27 2013 at 1:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
8,779 posts
KojiroSoma wrote:
I dont know about Blood for Blood though...

I mean, is it going to help? Sure. But you already have Raging Strikes and Hawk's Eye natively. Internal Release because of the puglist requirements for BRD is also pretty much guaranteed to be in there.

It seems like a LOT of trouble to go through just to get a 15 second duration ability. Which, if you stack all 4 (5 if you hit Quelling Strikes not to pull hate) of your abilities, is something you only get to enjoy for 10-11 seconds due to GCD.

Is it going to up your damage? I cant say that it doesnt. It will be better than what you had before. It just doesnt seem worth it unless you want to do some serious MIN/MAX'ing. And then there's the enmity it'll pull. You already have to hold back tremendously when fighting something of worth not to get hate to start with.

Impulse Drive at level 8 is pretty sweet though.

Maybe in some super zerg situation you get some use out of it, otherwise i dont see why you should bother.


You mean DPSing Titan's heart?

Or really any other DPS race. Macro'd appropriately they can activate fairly quickly, and it's for that reason BRD is typically top three in dps currently (with the other two typically being SMN and BLM).
____________________________
Quote:
The thing about me is that apparently it's very hard to tell when I'm drunk. So I feel like I'm walking sideways on a UFO and everyone else sees me doing the robot like a pro.
- MojoVIII
i have bathed in the blood of many. my life was spent well.
feral druids do it on all fours.
The One True Prophet of Tonkism.

http://therewillbebrawl.com/
#12 Sep 27 2013 at 6:12 PM Rating: Excellent
*
232 posts
KojiroSoma wrote:
I dont know about Blood for Blood though...

I mean, is it going to help? Sure. But you already have Raging Strikes and Hawk's Eye natively. Internal Release because of the puglist requirements for BRD is also pretty much guaranteed to be in there.

It seems like a LOT of trouble to go through just to get a 15 second duration ability. Which, if you stack all 4 (5 if you hit Quelling Strikes not to pull hate) of your abilities, is something you only get to enjoy for 10-11 seconds due to GCD.

Is it going to up your damage? I cant say that it doesnt. It will be better than what you had before. It just doesnt seem worth it unless you want to do some serious MIN/MAX'ing. And then there's the enmity it'll pull. You already have to hold back tremendously when fighting something of worth not to get hate to start with.

Impulse Drive at level 8 is pretty sweet though.

Maybe in some super zerg situation you get some use out of it, otherwise i dont see why you should bother.

As a level 50 BRD, I can tell you right now that Blood for Blood is amazing. Not only is it a great damage buff, but it also has a pretty short recast as well. When I stack all 6 buffs, I tend to do it mixed in between my DoTs. I start out with Barrage and end with Blood for Blood. If it's an extended battle, I simply reuse them as they become available.

The additional enmity shouldn't be an issue. If you're using it near the start, you should be putting Quelling Strikes up with it. If you quickly pull hate, it probably means that you started attacking too soon. If it's a trash mob, and you pull aggro a bit later, it probably means that it's almost dead anyway.
____________________________
Don Fletcher (Ultros)
#13 Sep 29 2013 at 3:38 PM Rating: Good
*
181 posts
Edit: on topic, Blood for Blood is awesome. With Raging Strikes you are on a 20% damage boost most of the time, and with Quelling Strikes you can really wreak some havoc.

jcavaliere wrote:

I disagree, at least on Ultros. I queue up, do a few dates, or some leves and generally go about my way. Eventually I get in somewhere and get great exp once I'm in. I do this every morning before I get ready for work.


This is actually a great idea for the exp bonus you get from Sanctuaries. Due to the shortage of tanks, I tried take my Gladiator from 15 to 22 (for Provoke) using pure dungeon crawling, and joining parties in progress to save the run whenever possible. However it is a bit exhausting to level that way because of how much attention it demands. Instead I just dungeon until my exp bonus is burned then go do FATEs to relax my mind.

I know many people look down on pure FATE grinding, but to me it is actually pretty fun. Once one pops you jump on your chocobo, the music starts playing, then you rush to the FATE with several other players to beat down on everything in your path. Like some kind of band of raiders (I love Berserk btw).

Edited, Sep 29th 2013 2:41pm by fatpolomanjr
____________________________
Wiggums: "Lou! Lou are you alright!?"
Lou: The electric yellow has got me by the brain banana.
Hunter Gathers (Goblin)
#14 Sep 29 2013 at 3:56 PM Rating: Excellent
**
598 posts
fatpolomanjr wrote:
Edit: on topic, Blood for Blood is awesome. With Raging Strikes you are on a 20% damage boost most of the time, and with Quelling Strikes you can really wreak some havoc.

jcavaliere wrote:

I disagree, at least on Ultros. I queue up, do a few dates, or some leves and generally go about my way. Eventually I get in somewhere and get great exp once I'm in. I do this every morning before I get ready for work.


This is actually a great idea for the exp bonus you get from Sanctuaries. Due to the shortage of tanks, I tried take my Gladiator from 15 to 22 (for Provoke) using pure dungeon crawling, and joining parties in progress to save the run whenever possible. However it is a bit exhausting to level that way because of how much attention it demands. Instead I just dungeon until my exp bonus is burned then go do FATEs to relax my mind.

I know many people look down on pure FATE grinding, but to me it is actually pretty fun. Once one pops you jump on your chocobo, the music starts playing, then you rush to the FATE with several other players to beat down on everything in your path. Like some kind of band of raiders (I love Berserk btw).

Edited, Sep 29th 2013 2:41pm by fatpolomanjr



Several? SEVERAL?!!

You jest, sir! It's like the Running of the Bulls!!!! Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Sour Cherry
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 78 All times are in CST
Callinon, Anonymous Guests (77)