Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

For 1.0 players: Anything you miss?Follow

#52GiftedChild, Posted: Sep 30 2013 at 5:37 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Well I sincerely apologize to you.
#53 Sep 30 2013 at 6:28 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Yeah, but what you're speaking out against is baseless since the reasons you're providing are false.

As for what I miss, it would have to be the CG cutscenes. It seems they went the FFXI route for using in-game graphics for cutscenes rather than integrating CG and in-game scenes as they did in FFXIV 1.0.

It's a minor issue, but certainly not one that has me hating the current version. I'm very happy with ARR as a whole.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#54GiftedChild, Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 2:59 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) In case if you are too slow to understand/interpret key point #3 from a business perspective, let me put it in laymen terms for you. "Hardware Limitations".
#55 Oct 01 2013 at 3:13 PM Rating: Excellent
**
576 posts
GiftedChild wrote:

Let me end this stupid debate with facts:

1. Crystal Tools is superior to FFXIV's customized engine (It does not matter if White engine is better on console games only, they could have tweaked the White engine to make it work better with MMO but they didn't, they chose Unreal 3 engine as the platform and made modifications and tweaks based on that)


You still haven't backed that statement up. There is your false reason.

(I know I should let it go, but it really irritates me when people spout baseless rumors as fact.)

Edited, Oct 1st 2013 5:14pm by Pickins
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#56 Oct 01 2013 at 3:25 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
As for what I miss, it would have to be the CG cutscenes. It seems they went the FFXI route for using in-game graphics for cutscenes rather than integrating CG and in-game scenes as they did in FFXIV 1.0.

It's a minor issue, but certainly not one that has me hating the current version. I'm very happy with ARR as a whole.


There is at least one fully rendered CG cutscene. After you complete your level 15 city mission and you're sent off into the world and ride off on the airship when everyone is smiling and waving goodbye.... and then it fades out to the Garleans.

The first minute or so of the Garlean cutscene there is pure rendered CG. They switch over to the ingame engine for the second half, when the Highlander and Midlander spy are talking about them invading for realsy reals.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#57GiftedChild, Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 11:29 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Translation: Due to hardware limitation, I'm sorry we had to use a customized Luminous engine that reduced the overall quality of the game in order for the majority of the folks with broke *** PC's can enjoy as well. We need more subscribers, we need more $$$, so let's make sure more can play because... quantity over quality right?
#58 Oct 01 2013 at 11:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,033 posts
Llester wrote:
GiftedChild wrote:
i am a giant douche.

#59 Oct 02 2013 at 7:13 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Catwho wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
As for what I miss, it would have to be the CG cutscenes. It seems they went the FFXI route for using in-game graphics for cutscenes rather than integrating CG and in-game scenes as they did in FFXIV 1.0.

It's a minor issue, but certainly not one that has me hating the current version. I'm very happy with ARR as a whole.


There is at least one fully rendered CG cutscene. After you complete your level 15 city mission and you're sent off into the world and ride off on the airship when everyone is smiling and waving goodbye.... and then it fades out to the Garleans.

The first minute or so of the Garlean cutscene there is pure rendered CG. They switch over to the ingame engine for the second half, when the Highlander and Midlander spy are talking about them invading for realsy reals.


Right, the pre-rendered CG they use is a mesh between the old 1.0's opening with Garlean's assault on Midgardsormr and ARR's new End of an Era movie

What I'm more referring to is the CG scenes which rendered your character in the scene as well.

Example.

____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#60 Oct 02 2013 at 9:45 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Oh god watching that gave me 1.0 flashbacks.... like I was having PTSD or something.

I do NOT miss the old Black Shroud. Not one bit. At all. Smiley: disappointed

The opening was nice, though.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#61 Oct 02 2013 at 9:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,033 posts
The things I miss:

- Ferry/Airship rides
- Some of the music

...and that's it. ARR is a vastly superior game.
#62 Oct 03 2013 at 6:21 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
I miss cookie cutter level design. ARR Has to many beautiful level and area designs and its forcing me to see it all. In 1.0 I could walk a third of the level and have seen it all.

**** you 2.0 for being so awesome.
#63 Oct 03 2013 at 8:33 AM Rating: Decent
*****
12,824 posts
I miss the fishing. Granted I didn't play long. I guess I didn't see any of the good anyone here saw. Yes, the in-game touches were nice. Yes, the graphics were very pretty (I ran it just fine on a tower I built for around $2k to replace my older one that died a horrible death). The opening for the game, where you actually fight was awesome (and awful, stay tuned).

But were there problems? OH BUDDY!

Hey, remember when I said the opening was awesome? Well, try starting as a DoH. I would have thought they would have made a custom scene, like having you run for your life, or having to hide... but no, you need to fight the SAME **** BOSS your DoW/DoM did. By throwing rocks. Yea. That was a thing. Sure there was an NPC there, but you felt retarded.

The classes at launch all felt bland, identical. PUG, MRD, LNC... Same **** different name. Only PUG was truly unique... and damned broken. I remember spamming the base attack and destroying everything. The early enemies were crap. The ability to distinguish the level of enemies sucked. I know that at least one other person had to try to take on a mob just outside town only to be stunned to be crushed.

The engine was too overblown for an MMO. There's a very excellent reason they don't use high-end graphic engines for these games. And no, it is not hardware limitations, Gifted. It's because of the sheer amount of load that creates for the game. There's no need to have 400 perfectly rendered players, armor glistening in the sun, while they face hordes of enemies on the fields of battle. The reason is because it would require ridiculous invested by their fanbase to be able to play... for what purpose? Every MMO (including the upcoming ESO) downgrades for this exact reason. You are wasting the PC's resources to render **** no one will be looking at when push comes to shove. Your vision will be locked on the UI or the enemy in front of you. It's a waste, pure and simple. Can you do it? Sure, you can do it and raise the required specs, lowering your audience for the benefit of no one, really. The hardware is there, it truly is. It's just a pointless waste of said hardware. When PCs move to the next processing level, maybe it will make more sense, because that will lower the cost for entry. But having to pay 2-5k for a rig just to play an MMO you will be paying over $100/year for makes no **** sense when there is other competition out there offering better, deeper, already built experiences for far less.

The entire linking with FFXI was novel, but utterly ridiculous. It's hard enough to commit time to one MMO, committing to two is pretty insane, especially the way FFXI runs.

Yea, for those feeling like you missed something, you did. You missed suffering through a game that was deeply, horrendously flawed from its inception. It was an ego project from one of the single most anti-player, anti-community developers in Squeenix's company, and it showed. They were warned in the beta that the game needed drastic changes, and they didn't listen. This game is the one of the reasons ego projects never get done anymore. Tanaka was developing something that no one truly wanted, even if his base concept sounded interesting on paper. The simple fact is that the reason most MMO conventions exist is the same reason certain genres exist: They work. This game didn't, it truly didn't. They did their best to overhaul the atrocious launch version, and I commend them for that. From what I heard, they did a lot to improve on the release version. But at the end of the day, a flawed core will lead to a broken product.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#64 Oct 03 2013 at 1:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
785 posts
Pawkeshup the Meaningless wrote:
Your vision will be locked on the UI
this right here is an issue MMO developers should be coming up with concepts to alleviate
#65 Oct 03 2013 at 1:49 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
785 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Catwho wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
As for what I miss, it would have to be the CG cutscenes. It seems they went the FFXI route for using in-game graphics for cutscenes rather than integrating CG and in-game scenes as they did in FFXIV 1.0.

It's a minor issue, but certainly not one that has me hating the current version. I'm very happy with ARR as a whole.


There is at least one fully rendered CG cutscene. After you complete your level 15 city mission and you're sent off into the world and ride off on the airship when everyone is smiling and waving goodbye.... and then it fades out to the Garleans.

The first minute or so of the Garlean cutscene there is pure rendered CG. They switch over to the ingame engine for the second half, when the Highlander and Midlander spy are talking about them invading for realsy reals.


Right, the pre-rendered CG they use is a mesh between the old 1.0's opening with Garlean's assault on Midgardsormr and ARR's new End of an Era movie

What I'm more referring to is the CG scenes which rendered your character in the scene as well.

Example.

I would absolutely love to see this quality of animation make a return,ARR has been completely bland for story telling in comparison
#66 Oct 03 2013 at 2:25 PM Rating: Good
*****
12,824 posts
Finuve wrote:
Pawkeshup the Meaningless wrote:
Your vision will be locked on the UI
this right here is an issue MMO developers should be coming up with concepts to alleviate


Name one way how. It's great to say a thing, but the reality is that the UI serves a purpose, a very important one at that. Companies have done work on this. For example, the life bar in Dead Space was physically on the character.

So now, let's look at an MMO. You need to convey all the following without a UI:

- Character HP
- Character MP
- Character Status ailments/buffs
- Your Skills/spells
- A map
- Quest tracker if desired
- The enemy's HP
- Ally HP
- Ally MP
- Ally Status ailments/buffs

Now all these elements must be:
- Clearly visible at all times
- Easily understood
- Visible at mid to long range

Aaaand... GO!
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#67 Oct 03 2013 at 2:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
785 posts
Pawkeshup the Meaningless wrote:
Finuve wrote:
Pawkeshup the Meaningless wrote:
Your vision will be locked on the UI
this right here is an issue MMO developers should be coming up with concepts to alleviate


Name one way how. It's great to say a thing, but the reality is that the UI serves a purpose, a very important one at that. Companies have done work on this. For example, the life bar in Dead Space was physically on the character.

So now, let's look at an MMO. You need to convey all the following without a UI:

- Character HP
- Character MP
- Character Status ailments/buffs
- Your Skills/spells
- A map
- Quest tracker if desired
- The enemy's HP
- Ally HP
- Ally MP
- Ally Status ailments/buffs

Now all these elements must be:
- Clearly visible at all times
- Easily understood
- Visible at mid to long range

Aaaand... GO!
I had the idea, not the answer, and I never claimed to
#68 Oct 03 2013 at 2:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Everybody has ideas. The ones who win in this world are the ones that execute.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#69 Oct 03 2013 at 2:55 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
12,824 posts
Finuve wrote:
I had the idea, not the answer, and I never claimed to


Then don't complain for something you cannot envision. Just wanting something to be different just because it's different is how 1.0 happened. Different doesn't equal better.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#70 Oct 03 2013 at 2:55 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
352 posts
I miss all the different types of materia they had.
____________________________
Goblin: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2192910/
Beastmaster ~<3 Cant wait.
Gold smithing till the day i die!
#71 Oct 03 2013 at 6:10 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Pawkeshup the Meaningless wrote:
Finuve wrote:
Pawkeshup the Meaningless wrote:
Your vision will be locked on the UI
this right here is an issue MMO developers should be coming up with concepts to alleviate


Name one way how. It's great to say a thing, but the reality is that the UI serves a purpose, a very important one at that. Companies have done work on this. For example, the life bar in Dead Space was physically on the character.

So now, let's look at an MMO. You need to convey all the following without a UI:

- Character HP
- Character MP
- Character Status ailments/buffs
- Your Skills/spells
- A map
- Quest tracker if desired
- The enemy's HP
- Ally HP
- Ally MP
- Ally Status ailments/buffs

Now all these elements must be:
- Clearly visible at all times
- Easily understood
- Visible at mid to long range

Aaaand... GO!


Just pretend a game had none of that and no inventory screen and no visible stats. Just click on whatever is lying around to equip and then you take off whatever you had on and leave it there.

No indication of your HP. No map. No clues what to do or where to go.

Would you play that game?

I would give it a shot.
#72 Oct 03 2013 at 6:31 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Gnu wrote:
Pawkeshup the Meaningless wrote:
Finuve wrote:
Pawkeshup the Meaningless wrote:
Your vision will be locked on the UI
this right here is an issue MMO developers should be coming up with concepts to alleviate


Name one way how. It's great to say a thing, but the reality is that the UI serves a purpose, a very important one at that. Companies have done work on this. For example, the life bar in Dead Space was physically on the character.

So now, let's look at an MMO. You need to convey all the following without a UI:

- Character HP
- Character MP
- Character Status ailments/buffs
- Your Skills/spells
- A map
- Quest tracker if desired
- The enemy's HP
- Ally HP
- Ally MP
- Ally Status ailments/buffs

Now all these elements must be:
- Clearly visible at all times
- Easily understood
- Visible at mid to long range

Aaaand... GO!


Just pretend a game had none of that and no inventory screen and no visible stats. Just click on whatever is lying around to equip and then you take off whatever you had on and leave it there.

No indication of your HP. No map. No clues what to do or where to go.

Would you play that game?

I would give it a shot.


That sounds a lot like the "Blind" AD&D games I use to play. The DM had control over every stat behind his screen. You didn't track anything of your own. It was really pretty awesome. The only way you knew what was going on was if he told you: "You're feeling weak", "the Owl-Bear is swooning", "that polearm feels good in your grip". It was all just context clues you had to pay attention to. The only thing we were really allowed to do for ourselves was mapping on graph paper, which he would make as difficult as possible lol.

If you're into table-topping, I'd give it a try. It sounds like you'd like it :)
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#73 Oct 04 2013 at 5:32 AM Rating: Decent
*****
12,824 posts
Gnu wrote:
Just pretend a game had none of that and no inventory screen and no visible stats. Just click on whatever is lying around to equip and then you take off whatever you had on and leave it there.

No indication of your HP. No map. No clues what to do or where to go.

Would you play that game?

I would give it a shot.

How then would you represent damage on the character? How would you compare armor/weapon stats to know if that item you just picked up is any bit better? What about spells? Or ranged combat? How would you deal with status ailments that would occur?

I throw these out there to prove a point. The UI in a game is the conveyance of these pieces of information in a clear, concise manner. You want to see how the game would look without a UI? Disable it and watch a battle. That's a UI-less game. You would have no clue what was going on if you had not played this game before.

I get the concept: Total immersion. Blur the lines between game and reality a little more. Make it seem more real by forcing you to interact with the environment to discover what you need. But the truth is that you'd wind up upset because you would die from effects you couldn't see. You'd have to test every single weapon you find against your current to even know if it was better. Without the ability to understand an enemy's strength, you'd just die repeatedly not knowing that you were dealing almost no damage to the enemy.

The reality is that until there is another way to convey this information in a clear format, a UI is needed. The UI is your "sense of self." Like the example after this of the GM telling the player how they feel. That, that is a UI. That GM is conveying information. He was the method by which the player interacted with their character. Sure, it wasn't as specific as a UI is on a game, and you could try to use something similar in a game.. but to do so, you need to have an idea how to wordlessly convey damage.

The closest game to a UI-less game is Journey. But it has no life bar, no real enemies. No combat. Why? Because all of these things become increasingly impossible without conveying some idea to the player as to the status of their character. So you'd either be left with a gutted exploration game, or be fumbling in the dark unknown trying to make sense of the game.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#74 Oct 04 2013 at 6:06 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Even Journey had to spend a sparse minute in the beginning of the game interrupting your immersion to give you a controls tutorial. (A wordless one, but a tutorial nonetheless.)

... ****, if they could make an MMO with the graphics quality of Journey, I think we'd all die from the sheer beauty of it in a day.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#75 Oct 04 2013 at 9:42 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Gnu wrote:

Just pretend a game had none of that and no inventory screen and no visible stats. Just click on whatever is lying around to equip and then you take off whatever you had on and leave it there.

No indication of your HP. No map. No clues what to do or where to go.

Would you play that game?

I would give it a shot.



I think the UI-Less concept is very interesting, but for an MMO it would be ridiculous.

It would be basically like Dark Souls, but even tougher.

---

In short you have to replace the UI with something. And that something, to me seems like relying on other senses to convey what the UI should be conveying.

And this is only truly possible with something like, motion sensing, haptic feedback, alternative visual representations of feedback (like a purple screen for poison), UI replacement, like a journal, or a log, and just good old fashion trial and error. Also voice and voice commands would have to play a strong role as well.

For example, for things like spells, you wouldn't have MP, but rather you'd know by trial and error, that you can only cast 3 spells in succession before you can't. I can see a Skyrim model here, where the more you use an ability the better it becomes and you would learn that.

---

However this begs the question, it would be an interesting experiment, but would it be fun? Also this would be a monumental task for a single player game, but for an MMO, it would be almost impossible. Well a small irony is that communication might be easier in an MMO, because of voice chat; until NPCs are smart enough to have conversations, you would be relegated to just yes or no answers.

I think by the time any of this happens the MMO genre, will probably be dead and gone, or morphed into something else entirely.
#76 Oct 04 2013 at 11:25 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Pawkeshup the Meaningless wrote:

How then would you represent damage on the character?

You would just die.

How would you compare armor/weapon stats to know if that item you just picked up is any bit better?

You wouldn't know.

What about spells?

It would be limited to the number of buttons you have to map them to, they would auto-map when you discover them (Rad the scroll or inscription on the tombstone, etc.)

Or ranged combat?

Not sure why you need UI for that. Tomb Raider is a good example.

How would you deal with status ailments that would occur?

Well if you are seelping you would get ZZZ, poison you could turn green. The game mechanics would have to be such that the solution to your problem is around somewhere, like the plant over there that works as an antidote.

- Make it seem more real by forcing you to interact with the environment to discover what you need.
- But the truth is that you'd wind up upset because you would die from effects you couldn't see.
- You'd have to test every single weapon you find against your current to even know if it was better.
- Without the ability to understand an enemy's strength, you'd just die repeatedly not knowing that you were dealing almost no damage to the enemy.
- ..fumbling in the dark unknown trying to make sense of the game.


Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.


Kierk wrote:


It would be basically like Dark Souls, but even tougher.


Yes.

For example, for things like spells, you wouldn't have MP, but rather you'd know by trial and error, that you can only cast 3 spells in succession before you can't.

I don't think they would be limited by MP at all by rather casting time vs. power.

I can see a Skyrim model here, where the more you use an ability the better it becomes and you would learn that.


Not a bad idea. I think the progression would be more equipment based. With locked areas based on things you don't have. Like a bridge you get killed on, but you get the bow and arrow and now you can kill the far away archers and get across.

I'm thinking first person of course, with a backpack you take off and set down in front of you. Items actually have to fit inside or you have told them. You could get a backstrap or belt upgrade for holding and extra weapon or two. You would have to be able to look down at yourself to see your equipment.

This wouldn't be a long game or incredibly in-depth even. Tomb Raider was awesome and I was happy to play it for the 12-14 hour story line and felt I got my money's worth. The mechanics would take some time to iron out to make sure it was still fun. There are a lot of existing no HUD mechanics to draw from. It would just focus on immersion and trail and error. I think there's a market of gamers that would enjoy something taken to this extreme.

Edited, Oct 4th 2013 1:32pm by Gnu
#77 Oct 04 2013 at 4:36 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
41 posts
gnu, sounds like you and i have very similar taste in games :) i love challenges, i love being confused and lost, i love being told almost nothing and having to figure it out for myself. im really not into the current state of MMORPGs that much anymore and even with FFXIV i feel like im "settling" because there is so much hand-holding, so much being told EXACTLY where to go. even the fact that there is a minimap drives me crazy and i have mine turned off (unless im in a new area and not familiar with where gathering points are)

i miss older MMOs where a guy would be like 'hey go talk to this guy, he's by a tree, um i think the tree is orange ??? lol idk ' and you literally have to find an orange tree somewhere in the world using only your eyes and maybe one clue of what city its near. maybe games will get back to this one day :)
____________________________
Gutsy Bat / Balmung :)
#78 Oct 04 2013 at 4:50 PM Rating: Excellent
**
576 posts
chillpickle wrote:
i miss older MMOs where a guy would be like 'hey go talk to this guy, he's by a tree, um i think the tree is orange ??? lol idk ' and you literally have to find an orange tree somewhere in the world using only your eyes and maybe one clue of what city its near. maybe games will get back to this one day :)


This ends up meaning "Go find a guide online" if you want to progress in any reasonable time frame, à la FFXI's quest system.

Edited, Oct 4th 2013 7:15pm by Pickins
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#79 Oct 04 2013 at 5:33 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
41 posts
Pickins wrote:
reasonable time frame


this is the key phrase here, the essence of why MMOs (and possibly games in general) have turned into what they are!! :)

'reasonable time frame' didnt mean anything when we were playing single player RPGs pre-internet. we had no help, but it didnt matter! the goal wasnt 'get this thing done as fast as possible', it was 'play until i have no more time to play and do what i can,' maybe followed by 'eat more pizza rolls'. sometimes you'd play for an hour or more and not get ANYWHERE because you were stuck (not progressing in an hour of gameplay because the game is challenging? unheard of!! shenanigans!! heresy!!)

i remember lots of times being 'stuck' in an rpg, not knowing where to go or what to do (not knowing how to get to the dark world in a link to the past is one personal example), but that didn't cause me to throw the controller across the room (well maybe not EVERY time Smiley: lol) or ***** about how the game was terrible or call nintendo and tell them they need to fix their game because it's "BROKEN" (hmm sounds familiar Smiley: grin). i would turn the game on (or 'log in' as its known today), poke around, try my best to figure things out. days passed and i would still be stuck. but then one day i got it! and it was an amazing feeling!!!!! SO satisfying!! having figured that out by myself without anyone else's help :)

why are so many of us obsessed with rushing through the game as fast as possible? of course we aren't kids anymore. of course we have other responsibilities, family, job, friends, relationships, there lots of things to do in this world and that's an AMAZING thing. but why are games obligated to throw as much content as possible at us during our hour lunchbreaks or the few hours we get every weekend outside of work? i rarely see people accepting games for what they are, whether they are 'hard' or too time consuming, instead we complain and tell the devs its their job to fit their game into OUR schedules, not fit our schedules into THEIR game.

tl;dr games aint what they used to be, the good ol days, get off my lawn, etc. :)

edit: im not saying its wrong to experience games in this fashion that is read the walkthrough do everything by the books rush through the game etc, that is how some people prefer to play, just not me personally, and its tough having fun with games when they are mostly geared toward people who prefer the type gameplay im bored with :)

Edited, Oct 4th 2013 7:35pm by chillpickle
____________________________
Gutsy Bat / Balmung :)
#80 Oct 04 2013 at 7:05 PM Rating: Good
**
576 posts
chillpickle wrote:

this is the key phrase here, the essence of why MMOs (and possibly games in general) have turned into what they are!! :)

'reasonable time frame' didnt mean anything when we were playing single player RPGs pre-internet. we had no help, but it didnt matter! the goal wasnt 'get this thing done as fast as possible', it was 'play until i have no more time to play and do what i can,' maybe followed by 'eat more pizza rolls'. sometimes you'd play for an hour or more and not get ANYWHERE because you were stuck (not progressing in an hour of gameplay because the game is challenging? unheard of!! shenanigans!! heresy!!)

i remember lots of times being 'stuck' in an rpg, not knowing where to go or what to do (not knowing how to get to the dark world in a link to the past is one personal example), but that didn't cause me to throw the controller across the room (well maybe not EVERY time Smiley: lol) or ***** about how the game was terrible or call nintendo and tell them they need to fix their game because it's "BROKEN" (hmm sounds familiar Smiley: grin). i would turn the game on (or 'log in' as its known today), poke around, try my best to figure things out. days passed and i would still be stuck. but then one day i got it! and it was an amazing feeling!!!!! SO satisfying!! having figured that out by myself without anyone else's help :)


The thing is, people have realized that games don't have to punish you to be satisfying. Back in the NES days, this was not the case, and that's a big part of why only a small group of devotees played RPGs.

Also, as you mentioned below, we grew up. We had the time to waste back then. These days, I don't have hours to spend without any hint of progress.

Quote:

why are so many of us obsessed with rushing through the game as fast as possible? of course we aren't kids anymore. of course we have other responsibilities, family, job, friends, relationships, there lots of things to do in this world and that's an AMAZING thing. but why are games obligated to throw as much content as possible at us during our hour lunchbreaks or the few hours we get every weekend outside of work? i rarely see people accepting games for what they are, whether they are 'hard' or too time consuming, instead we complain and tell the devs its their job to fit their game into OUR schedules, not fit our schedules into THEIR game.


Two things:

1. It's not about rushing (look at my character, I've been playing regularly since 4th beta and still haven't gotten a class above 40) it's about not needing to refer to an outside source to progress in all but the most trivial quests, as was the case with FFXI. Because, lets be honest, pretty much only the first people experiencing the content did it without a guide. There is no reason quest objectives shouldn't be stated clearly in the game, IMO.

2. Games have to ft into our schedules, or we can't/won't play them. With the wealth of entertainment options out there, it's too easy for the potential customer to move on to something else. I'm not saying that overly difficult/time consuming games shouldn't be made, just that you can't expect a game that the devs intend to be accessible to the masses to also be obscure and borderline masochistic.

Quote:

tl;dr games aint what they used to be, the good ol days, get off my lawn, etc. :)


This pretty much sums it up. You're looking at the past with rose-colored glasses.

Quote:

edit: im not saying its wrong to experience games in this fashion that is read the walkthrough do everything by the books rush through the game etc, that is how some people prefer to play, just not me personally, and its tough having fun with games when they are mostly geared toward people who prefer the type gameplay im bored with :)


I totally get your point, even if I don't feel the same way. Lucky for you, there are still some games being designed for hardcore types, this just isn't one of them.

Edited, Oct 4th 2013 9:07pm by Pickins
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#81 Oct 04 2013 at 8:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
588 posts
There is another thing that I miss. I loved the original class system and the complete flexability to equip any combination of abilities. I know most people disagree but I loved being able to design my class to suit the situation. I understand others point of view and wanting unique jobs but I liked the unbound potential of the 1.0 class system.
____________________________



#82 Oct 07 2013 at 1:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
I miss the feeling of accomplishment after figuring out how to navigate the user interface.
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 84 All times are in CST
Callinon, Anonymous Guests (83)