Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Upcoming hotfix notesFollow

#1 Oct 11 2013 at 2:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,653 posts
As an addendum to the news about the EXP change for gathering, they've released the preliminary notes for the entire hotfix.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/105004-Details-on-the-Upcoming-Hot-Fix?p=1410856&viewfull=1#post1410856

Quote:
Greetings!

As we mentioned recently, we will be performing a hot fix next week where we will be performing adjustments and addressing various things. While the specific details will be announced separately, I would like to give you an overview of what will be done ahead of time.
-Changes will be made to the way equipment is bound.
-Introducing additional servers and enhancements to act as a countermeasure against the congestion to enter "Amdapor Keep."
-The difficulty for level 50 dungeons will be adjusted.
-The number of areas where you can acquire Allagan Tomestones of Philosophy and Mythology will be increased as well as the amount you can acquire.
-Implementation of a population cap for each field.
-Adjustments to the spawn rate of monsters that drop diremite web and additional locations where Karakul can be found.
-The amount of experience points that can be acquired on botanist and miner, as well the experience points that can be acquired from their fieldcraft leves, will be increased.
-User interface elements related to materia and target information will be adjusted.

In addition to the above adjustments we will also be fixing a number of bugs.


Very happy about the Ampador keep fix and adjustments to acquiring tomes. Not quite sure which way they'll be adjusting dungeons at the moment...

Edited, Oct 11th 2013 8:25am by blowfin
____________________________
I tell you, we are here on Earth to **** around, and don’t let anybody tell you different.
#2 Oct 11 2013 at 2:48 AM Rating: Good
**
589 posts
I still think the XP increase for BOT and MIN is reactive, but I'll not complain as I'm about to start on CRP (and BOT hand in hand) and am on the last 8 levels on Miner. XD
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
#3 Oct 11 2013 at 2:54 AM Rating: Excellent
**
832 posts
Quote:
-The difficulty for level 50 dungeons will be adjusted.

Adjusted which way Smiley: dubious
____________________________
VIVE LA RÉVOLUTION PONEY!
デーブは、ここではありません。
Urthdigger wrote:
First person view {You can have this.} I'm a galka and wore a subligar all the way to 50. You either learn to deal with it, or learn to enjoy the other party member's screams of agony.

Likibiki wrote:
I wish I could get parties of that standard. Sadly I seem to end up playing with myself all the time.

[ffxisig]81208[/ffxisig]
#4 Oct 11 2013 at 2:58 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
115 posts
This is all good news! I havn't even finished the story yet, but I'm a lvl 50 PLD in ilvl 55 gear, so knowing that the tomestones are going to be more interesting to farm come endgame is a bonus. I'm just hoping they dont gimp diremite webs too badly, they are my main source of income lol!

Also, miner lvl 38, that's going on hold til next week I think ;-)
____________________________

#5 Oct 11 2013 at 3:02 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,653 posts
SolomonGrundy wrote:
I still think the XP increase for BOT and MIN is reactive, but I'll not complain as I'm about to start on CRP (and BOT hand in hand) and am on the last 8 levels on Miner. XD


Nah, I can tell you as someone who'd tried to level Botany and Carpenter side by side that the Exp for gathering is pretty terrible. Add this to the fact that you can't do gathering leves while in DF, and the balance between crafting a gathering is a bit off. I pretty much have to stop doing anything else and do gathering leves to make decent inroads, so i'm able to farm my own mats for carpenter.

Not to mention that fishing leves give way more Exp then gathering leves.

I assume the intention was to make gathering slower as you can supply multiple crafts with one fieldcraft leveled. It just seems they were a bit too harsh in that regard.

Edited, Oct 11th 2013 9:03am by blowfin
____________________________
I tell you, we are here on Earth to **** around, and don’t let anybody tell you different.
#6 Oct 11 2013 at 3:11 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
Holy crap this is awesome! New ways to get mythology and an increased cap? Gearing a 2nd job doesn't seem so dismal now.

Also this:

Quote:
Implementation of a population cap for each field.


I can interpret this several ways. Anyone care to explain it in a way they understand it?

Edit: Because quoet isn't a word.

Edited, Oct 11th 2013 5:12am by HitomeOfBismarck
#7 Oct 11 2013 at 3:14 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,081 posts
Seems like amazing news! Cannot wait to hear more details!
____________________________


#8 Oct 11 2013 at 3:16 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,153 posts
Quote:
As we mentioned recently, we will be performing a hot fix next week

I don't wanna nitpick or anything, but the terms 'hot fix' and 'next week' don't really belong in the same sentence. Nothing listed really seems like anything too broken to need a hot fix anyway.

The changes sound good, but I also wonder what the adjustment to the lvl 50 dungeons is...
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#9 Oct 11 2013 at 3:19 AM Rating: Good
***
2,081 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
[quote]

The changes sound good, but I also wonder what the adjustment to the lvl 50 dungeons is...



I am hoping they are taking some of the community's suggestions and simply adjust how rewards are distributed in the lvl 50 dungeons. Certainly some room for strengthening in this area. I am also excited to see which additional methods they employ for obtaining tomes.
____________________________


#10 Oct 11 2013 at 3:28 AM Rating: Excellent
*
70 posts
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
Also this:

Quote:
Implementation of a population cap for each field.


I can interpret this several ways. Anyone care to explain it in a way they understand it?

Edit: Because quoet isn't a word.

Edited, Oct 11th 2013 5:12am by HitomeOfBismarck


I'm guessing they mean they'll put population caps for zones in place so people don't crash the server when the Odin or Behemoth fates pop up.

These sound like very good changes. Botanist/miner XP changes sound good and anything to make diremite gathering will be welcome changes.
#11 Oct 11 2013 at 3:31 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
They honestly seem very interested in community feedback. I have NEVER seen SE respond this quickly to some of the 'less' strenuous concerns posed by players. I may be cast as a SE fanboy on these forums, but I certainly have a lot of contempt for them from XI have no fear.

This new SE presented to us...I am liking quite a bit. More servers for AK after only a week or two of seeing problems with congestion, more ways to get mythology (and a cap increase) as they realize more people are getting 2+ jobs to cap and are tired of doing AK, upgrades to mining and botany exp, and addressing diremite web problems and the plethora of botters that infest the areas where these monsters that drop the web spawn.

It's very refreshing.

Thevantis wrote:
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
Also this:

Quote:
Implementation of a population cap for each field.


I can interpret this several ways. Anyone care to explain it in a way they understand it?

Edit: Because quoet isn't a word.

Edited, Oct 11th 2013 5:12am by HitomeOfBismarck


I'm guessing they mean they'll put population caps for zones in place so people don't crash the server when the Odin or Behemoth fates pop up.

These sound like very good changes. Botanist/miner XP changes sound good and anything to make diremite gathering will be welcome changes.


This makes sense! I had interpreted this as: "We're going to cap the number of classes/jobs that can be made on a particular server" or "We're going to make sure there aren't double BLM DPS classes in one AK run".

Your interpretation clearly makes more sense. :P

Edited, Oct 11th 2013 5:32am by HitomeOfBismarck
#12 Oct 11 2013 at 3:34 AM Rating: Good
**
589 posts
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
They honestly seem very interested in community feedback. I have NEVER seen SE respond this quickly to some of the 'less' strenuous concerns posed by players. I may be cast as a SE fanboy on these forums, but I certainly have a lot of contempt for them from XI have no fear.

This new SE presented to us...I am liking quite a bit. More servers for AK after only a week or two of seeing problems with congestion, more ways to get mythology (and a cap increase) as they realize more people are getting 2+ jobs to cap and are tired of doing AK, upgrades to mining and botany exp, and addressing diremite web problems and the plethora of botters that infest the areas where these monsters that drop the web spawn.

It's very refreshing.


Isn't this normal? I seem to remember seeing the patch notes for FFXI in the first year before it was release in US/EMEA and it seemed to have updates every couple of weeks. NOT that I am complaining (!), feedback is key and for those of us historically from XI we can all remember how awful it was.
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
#13 Oct 11 2013 at 3:49 AM Rating: Excellent
*
149 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Quote:
As we mentioned recently, we will be performing a hot fix next week

I don't wanna nitpick or anything, but the terms 'hot fix' and 'next week' don't really belong in the same sentence. Nothing listed really seems like anything too broken to need a hot fix anyway.

The changes sound good, but I also wonder what the adjustment to the lvl 50 dungeons is...


No, you REALLY wanted to nit pick Smiley: laugh
#14 Oct 11 2013 at 4:23 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Admiral Niknar wrote:
Quote:
-The difficulty for level 50 dungeons will be adjusted.

Adjusted which way Smiley: dubious


Maybe they will double dungeon tomestone drop (along with say WP has more myth drop) while making mobs 2 x tougher.
____________________________




#15 Oct 11 2013 at 4:25 AM Rating: Excellent
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Quote:
As we mentioned recently, we will be performing a hot fix next week

I don't wanna nitpick or anything, but the terms 'hot fix' and 'next week' don't really belong in the same sentence. Nothing listed really seems like anything too broken to need a hot fix anyway.

The changes sound good, but I also wonder what the adjustment to the lvl 50 dungeons is...


Just an FYI....I know that, at least as far as WoW and Blizzard are concerned, a "Hot fix" is simply a patch done server side that doesn't involve modifying any files client side and/or is outside of the normal development patches. While a full-fledged "Patch" is something they have to send out so that it modifies the client side game's files and/or is apart of the regular patch cycle. Yeah different companies have different protocol and vocabulary but meh. My point is, I don't think it specifically has anything to do with timing in this case, I think it's more to do with how it's implemented. That's my $0.02 though ^_^
____________________________
Michael Tyrael
#16 Oct 11 2013 at 5:01 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,153 posts
Seraphknight777 wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Quote:
As we mentioned recently, we will be performing a hot fix next week

I don't wanna nitpick or anything, but the terms 'hot fix' and 'next week' don't really belong in the same sentence. Nothing listed really seems like anything too broken to need a hot fix anyway.

The changes sound good, but I also wonder what the adjustment to the lvl 50 dungeons is...


Just an FYI....I know that, at least as far as WoW and Blizzard are concerned, a "Hot fix" is simply a patch done server side that doesn't involve modifying any files client side and/or is outside of the normal development patches. While a full-fledged "Patch" is something they have to send out so that it modifies the client side game's files and/or is apart of the regular patch cycle. Yeah different companies have different protocol and vocabulary but meh. My point is, I don't think it specifically has anything to do with timing in this case, I think it's more to do with how it's implemented. That's my $0.02 though ^_^


It's not necessarily timing related, but as it mainly focuses fixes that need immediate attention; they do tend to happen quickly. Something that is getting fixed next week isn't as much of a priority as the term would suggest.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#17 Oct 11 2013 at 5:13 AM Rating: Decent
Well ****. Just reached lvl 48 miner using well over half my leve points the last few days. If I had known I would have waited for the update.
#18 Oct 11 2013 at 6:11 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
SolomonGrundy wrote:
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
They honestly seem very interested in community feedback. I have NEVER seen SE respond this quickly to some of the 'less' strenuous concerns posed by players. I may be cast as a SE fanboy on these forums, but I certainly have a lot of contempt for them from XI have no fear.

This new SE presented to us...I am liking quite a bit. More servers for AK after only a week or two of seeing problems with congestion, more ways to get mythology (and a cap increase) as they realize more people are getting 2+ jobs to cap and are tired of doing AK, upgrades to mining and botany exp, and addressing diremite web problems and the plethora of botters that infest the areas where these monsters that drop the web spawn.

It's very refreshing.


Isn't this normal? I seem to remember seeing the patch notes for FFXI in the first year before it was release in US/EMEA and it seemed to have updates every couple of weeks. NOT that I am complaining (!), feedback is key and for those of us historically from XI we can all remember how awful it was.


No you're right: they released patches every week or so. However, they were pretty stubborn and/or slow about fixing things that irked many players.

Let me take an example that comes to mind immediately: Limbus and Dynamis entry fees. It was obvious this was causing a bit of an uneasy situation economically for many players and LSs but they didn't fix this till...geesh I don't even know.

Land kings were also a huge issue with many people. The situation became so intense that many resorted to third party programs for claim. The solution was obvious: just use their trending 'poppable' NM system that they had developed after kings to spawn these. Nope, we're going to make you camp them for 8 years until we finally concede that it wasn't the best idea and make them poppable.

If you gave me some time to delve through past patch notes and eras of FFXI, I could find some better examples. You and I both have seen this distanced nature SE has used in the past. I'm glad they aren't doing so with this game!
#19 Oct 11 2013 at 6:22 AM Rating: Good
***
1,270 posts
I would hardly call any of these minor issues:

1) Diremite/Karakul - currently completely over run by botters who jack the price up, thus blocking weavers
2) Odin/behemoth crashing servers every time they pop = no fun
3) AK having a 3 hour queue unless you wait till thursday+ is pretty dumb
4) having only one way to get mythology, and having the cap so low = dumb

All of those I would say needed addressing sooner rather than later.

Now the exp btn/miner are welcome and needed adressing eventually, and i could have waited till 2.1 for them, but a lot of the other issues were stuff the community was in dire need of.
#20 Oct 11 2013 at 6:59 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
What I'm hoping with the "adjust the difficulty of level 50 dungeons" is that the fewer trash mobs you kill along the way, the harder everything else gets. Thus discouraging speed runs. Smiley: nod

Edited, Oct 11th 2013 8:59am by Catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#21 Oct 11 2013 at 7:09 AM Rating: Good
***
1,674 posts
I'm actually rather happy to hear about the Diremite/Karakul adjustments. One of my biggest slowdowns when getting every craft to 50 was Weaver, due to the huge bottleneck that occurs from both dew thread and wool thread, especially the latter. Obviously a market in an MMO should be competitive, but it was getting to the point where unless you wanted to drop some sick amount of gil down and just buy it off the Market Board, you were in for some very painful time out in Coerthas trying to compete for karakul.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI Character(s)
Name: Satisiun
Server: Carbuncle (RIP Gilgamesh)
Jobs: 99DRG, 99PLD, 99RDM, 99WHM | Everything else: 50-60
~Retired.~

Final Fantasy XIV Character(s)
Name: Satisiun Desain
Server(s): Sargantas (primary)
DoW/DoM/DoH/DoL: 50
#22 Oct 11 2013 at 7:21 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
Catwho wrote:
What I'm hoping with the "adjust the difficulty of level 50 dungeons" is that the fewer trash mobs you kill along the way, the harder everything else gets. Thus discouraging speed runs. Smiley: nod

Edited, Oct 11th 2013 8:59am by Catwho


Although I agree that speedruns are not a good thing I am more hoping that we get a more fun incentive to actually want to kill trash mobs instead of punishing us if we don't. I guess that might be for 2.1 though.
#23 Oct 11 2013 at 7:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
My prediction, which i think is pretty good:

# of ToMs in AK increased
Difficulty of AK increased

TOMs added to Wanderers Palace

Wander's is now a stepping stone to AK
____________________________


#24 Oct 11 2013 at 7:49 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Couldn't they disperse the TOMs throughout the various coffers in the dungeons, instead of giving them all at the end of the dungeon? This would certainly discourage speed runs.
#25 Oct 11 2013 at 8:35 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,689 posts
I think you'd have to balance it carefully if you did though. Too many from Trash and too few from the final Boss and people would never finish runs, preferring to farm trash. I think if you see a log of how many you've farmed but don't get them until the end it might work.
____________________________
Blogging again! http://eldelphia.wordpress.com
#26 Oct 11 2013 at 8:41 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
i think trash mobs will be buffed and given a small chance to drop tomes (edit: or a variation of Catwho's idea aka the more trash you kill the more tomes received at end, which sounds more likely):

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...97#post1402297

Quote:
Greetings,

We're planning to release a hotfix next week that we'll use to address and adjust a few elements.

One of the adjustments regards the regular monsters in level 50 dungeons and how there is currently no reason to defeat them.




Edited, Oct 11th 2013 10:50am by Llester
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#27 Oct 11 2013 at 9:05 AM Rating: Good
****
5,745 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Quote:
As we mentioned recently, we will be performing a hot fix next week

I don't wanna nitpick or anything, but the terms 'hot fix' and 'next week' don't really belong in the same sentence.

I was under the impression that a "hot fix" was something that wouldn't require bringing the servers down (like when you hot swap hard drives). But given that there is going to be a maintenance, the phrase hot fix still wouldn't apply.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#28ShadowofaDoubt, Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 9:19 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) The nerf way, developers never make endgame tougher. So endgame is getting easier, tomes are more plentiful.
#29ShadowofaDoubt, Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 9:22 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Whats this field cap limit? Are they going to cap zones? If this is their answer to the PS3's issues with odin/behemoth/fate zergs I say BOOOOO
#31 Oct 11 2013 at 9:58 AM Rating: Good
*
220 posts
Looks like I get it here on the JP servers today, I'll let you know later
#32 Oct 11 2013 at 10:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
What I'm hoping with the "adjust the difficulty of level 50 dungeons" is that the fewer trash mobs you kill along the way, the harder everything else gets. Thus discouraging speed runs.


Whatever they decide to do, I hope it provides incentive to let people watch cutscenes.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#33 Oct 11 2013 at 10:35 AM Rating: Good
**
576 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:

It's not necessarily timing related, but as it mainly focuses fixes that need immediate attention; they do tend to happen quickly. Something that is getting fixed next week isn't as much of a priority as the term would suggest.


Software changes don't implement/test themselves...

I'm sure they're pushing out the fix as quickly as they can (while still following their internal development/validation/deployment procedures).

Edited, Oct 11th 2013 12:36pm by Pickins
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#34 Oct 11 2013 at 10:41 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
Vague. Where are the specifics for this? Not getting excited until I know more.
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#35 Oct 11 2013 at 10:41 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,270 posts
Heres the thing, i can fix things really quickly at work, but then it has to get signed off, reviewed, and tested before we can push it live. So while fixing an issue can be done in a few minutes/hours, that internal validation cycle is 100% needed otherwise you end up with half fixes, bugs, and emergency maintenance, which cause even more *********

Id rather wait till monday and get a more polished hot fix, then have them rush it and do 2-3 emerg. maint. during the weekend.
#36 Oct 11 2013 at 11:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Mithsavvy wrote:
Couldn't they disperse the TOMs throughout the various coffers in the dungeons, instead of giving them all at the end of the dungeon? This would certainly discourage speed runs.


No, in the old and new version of the speed run, you can still grab every single coffer.

Speed runs aren't fun, but neither are slow runs. At least with speed runs, the amount of time that I'm bored is shortened... I would love some randomized content, like Nyzul Isle Assault. I'm not entirely sure how to make grinding the same content fun and engaging, and neither do the devs, it seems.

Edited, Oct 11th 2013 1:07pm by Louiscool
____________________________


#37 Oct 11 2013 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
352 posts
I wonder what they mean by how they will change how equiment will bound.
____________________________
Goblin: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2192910/
Beastmaster ~<3 Cant wait.
Gold smithing till the day i die!
#38 Oct 11 2013 at 12:06 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
IMFW wrote:
I wonder what they mean by how they will change how equiment will bound.


There's a link on the login/lodestone page about this.

Something about certain high level equipment not currently binding. They're changing it so that if you equip it and use it once, it's bound.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#39 Oct 11 2013 at 12:40 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
352 posts
LebargeX wrote:
IMFW wrote:
I wonder what they mean by how they will change how equiment will bound.


There's a link on the login/lodestone page about this.

Something about certain high level equipment not currently binding. They're changing it so that if you equip it and use it once, it's bound.



Sweet thanks!
____________________________
Goblin: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2192910/
Beastmaster ~<3 Cant wait.
Gold smithing till the day i die!
#40 Oct 11 2013 at 12:51 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
svlyons wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Quote:
As we mentioned recently, we will be performing a hot fix next week

I don't wanna nitpick or anything, but the terms 'hot fix' and 'next week' don't really belong in the same sentence.

I was under the impression that a "hot fix" was something that wouldn't require bringing the servers down (like when you hot swap hard drives). But given that there is going to be a maintenance, the phrase hot fix still wouldn't apply.
A "hot fix" simply means a fix that is outside of the scheduled patch release cycle. Any time there is an emergency maintenance on something, it's a hot fix. They can be planned in advance, too. My office had a hot fix for one of the applications planned out six months ago, because the formal release cycle for the application is only once a year. The last formal release was in March, and they knew they would have some sticky issues they'd need to fix before next march that couldn't wait.

As these fixes are being put in place before 2.1 is released, they do indeed count as a hot fix.

A hot swap is different from a hot fix. Hard drives in a RAID are hot swappable, not hot fixable.

Edited, Oct 11th 2013 2:53pm by Catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#41 Oct 11 2013 at 12:56 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
Catwho wrote:
svlyons wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Quote:
As we mentioned recently, we will be performing a hot fix next week

I don't wanna nitpick or anything, but the terms 'hot fix' and 'next week' don't really belong in the same sentence.

I was under the impression that a "hot fix" was something that wouldn't require bringing the servers down (like when you hot swap hard drives). But given that there is going to be a maintenance, the phrase hot fix still wouldn't apply.
A "hot fix" simply means a fix that is outside of the scheduled patch release cycle. Any time there is an emergency maintenance on something, it's a hot fix. They can be planned in advance, too. My office had a hot fix for one of the applications planned out six months ago, because the formal release cycle for the application is only once a year. The last formal release was in March, and they knew they would have some sticky issues they'd need to fix before next march that couldn't wait.

As these fixes are being put in place before 2.1 is released, they do indeed count as a hot fix.

A hot swap is different from a hot fix. Hard drives in a RAID are hot swappable, not hot fixable.

Edited, Oct 11th 2013 2:53pm by Catwho


Which is altogether different from hot-racking; which is when you share your bunk on a submarine with the guy on the opposite shift from you because there's too many people on board ><

Smiley: dubious
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#42 Oct 11 2013 at 3:56 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
181 posts
I just want to ask a question why are people so against speed runs. If you are a casual player and able to run a dungeon in under 30 mins or around that time window why not embrace that and do speed runs in between work, school and family and friends. Only reason I say this I only get a few hours to play in the morning before work.....(I work retail so always work weekends and nights) and being able to do speed runs is great and doesn't take great gear if you go wp cm ifrit ak then the rest. If no speed runs, I have had this happen had runs take a hour plus and seriously reduce the things I could be doing.
#43 Oct 11 2013 at 3:59 PM Rating: Good
***
3,450 posts
domice wrote:
I just want to ask a question why are people so against speed runs. If you are a casual player and able to run a dungeon in under 30 mins or around that time window why not embrace that and do speed runs in between work, school and family and friends. Only reason I say this I only get a few hours to play in the morning before work.....(I work retail so always work weekends and nights) and being able to do speed runs is great and doesn't take great gear if you go wp cm ifrit ak then the rest. If no speed runs, I have had this happen had runs take a hour plus and seriously reduce the things I could be doing.


The problem isn't speed runs as a concept. The problem is the toxic atmosphere created by people doing it with random matchmaking in the duty finder.

Someone wants to put together a 4 or 8-man party and blitz some dungeons? Cool, go for it.
Some incomplete party wants to do that? Now we have a problem, because there's no guarantee the duty finder will pair them with other people that want to do that.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#44 Oct 11 2013 at 4:49 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
181 posts
And while I agree with you in theory by changing things to phase out speed runs you do what you were against and force a certain type of play instead of letting the population picking what way they want to play. If I want to do speed runs why hinder me. It's just as easy to shout for story runs out laid back runs
#45 Oct 11 2013 at 5:00 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,450 posts
domice wrote:
And while I agree with you in theory by changing things to phase out speed runs you do what you were against and force a certain type of play instead of letting the population picking what way they want to play. If I want to do speed runs why hinder me. It's just as easy to shout for story runs out laid back runs


I don't disagree with you. If people want to speed run, that's great.. go for it.

But the other thing is a problem too. And FFXIV can't afford for its endgame to get a negative reputation in its infancy. That happened to Aion, SWTOR, and GW2, and all of them suffered tremendously for it. FFXIV's endgame needs a healthy reputation right now, and that might mean that speed runs have to go.

As for "it's just as easy to shout for story runs," not really. And it's counter-intuitive since the game beats you over the head with the duty finder. And all the way up to 50 it's not a problem. But AT 50, suddenly the rules change? No, that can't happen.

Once again, there's nothing wrong with wanting to clear content over and over quickly. But the duty finder has to be accessible to everyone, and not just those people that want to blast through at light speed and belittle anyone who can't or don't want to.

Edited, Oct 11th 2013 6:01pm by Callinon
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#46 Oct 11 2013 at 5:15 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
181 posts
On a few things I only saw people getting belittled when doing content that they can't do...that's just me tho. And I fully understand where you are coming from but I feel that it's just a situation of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Instead of getting rid of speed runs and being bogged down with trash mobs just evenly split the 100 tombs between bosses do wither you speed run leisurely run out had a fail run you still win.
#47 Oct 11 2013 at 5:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Catwho wrote:
svlyons wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Quote:
As we mentioned recently, we will be performing a hot fix next week

I don't wanna nitpick or anything, but the terms 'hot fix' and 'next week' don't really belong in the same sentence.

I was under the impression that a "hot fix" was something that wouldn't require bringing the servers down (like when you hot swap hard drives). But given that there is going to be a maintenance, the phrase hot fix still wouldn't apply.
A "hot fix" simply means a fix that is outside of the scheduled patch release cycle. Any time there is an emergency maintenance on something, it's a hot fix. They can be planned in advance, too. My office had a hot fix for one of the applications planned out six months ago, because the formal release cycle for the application is only once a year. The last formal release was in March, and they knew they would have some sticky issues they'd need to fix before next march that couldn't wait.

As these fixes are being put in place before 2.1 is released, they do indeed count as a hot fix.

A hot swap is different from a hot fix. Hard drives in a RAID are hot swappable, not hot fixable.


Actually, the "hot" in hotfix and hotswap mean the same thing: the power isn't shut off. The original use of hotfix was a software patch applied that didn't require rebooting the server. Back in the old UNIX days when the operating system was open-source, sysadmins took great pride in their server's up-time. If something was malfunctioning, they could debug the issue right down to the kernel if they had to and quite often fixed them without a reboot. But now, with closed-source operating systems, rebooting is always the first step instead of the last resort, and the problems that cause the issue never get fixed unless the proprietor gives you patch.

Now the term hotfix is just a sacrilegious mockery of its former glory because you know we're going to be kicked off their servers when they apply this patch Smiley: tongue
#48 Oct 11 2013 at 6:28 PM Rating: Good
**
576 posts
Xoie wrote:

Now the term hotfix is just a sacrilegious mockery of its former glory because you know we're going to be kicked off their servers when they apply this patch Smiley: tongue


Even more so due to :

Quote:

At the following time, we will be performing maintenance on all Worlds that goes along with the patch 2.05 HotFixes. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

*This maintenance will implement a client program update as well. Booting the client after the patch release will automatically update the client program.


As seen when logging in just now.
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#49 Oct 11 2013 at 8:45 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,084 posts
domice wrote:
I just want to ask a question why are people so against speed runs. If you are a casual player and able to run a dungeon in under 30 mins or around that time window why not embrace that and do speed runs in between work, school and family and friends. Only reason I say this I only get a few hours to play in the morning before work.....(I work retail so always work weekends and nights) and being able to do speed runs is great and doesn't take great gear if you go wp cm ifrit ak then the rest. If no speed runs, I have had this happen had runs take a hour plus and seriously reduce the things I could be doing.

While Call touched on the social aspect, I'd also consider a dev perspective where time spent on developing resources is basically overlooked in pursuit of the shortcut. I suppose I could draw in a bit of irony relative to the raiding scene and wanting stuff done ASAP, but then belittling people want alternative sources of competitive loot. Both basically share an ideal of not wanting to waste time and feel like they're getting stuff done.

More specific to XIV at the moment, speed running is basically encouraged because the trash has zero value outside of spiritbinding EXP, and that only matters if you're wearing gear with the intent to convert it. I know compared to other games I haven't really seen what I'd consider difficult pulls, either, so it's not like the trash also presents a challenge people need to come to understand to tackle effectively. As has also been noted, you simply can't make coffers more lucrative because people will just suicide run to them. I'd actually propose all coffers be locked, but a random mob in the immediate vicinity will have the key if you wanted to buff coffer loot. As well, myth tome rewards are top-end from the last boss in AK. So for people just trying to get those for their weekly cap, the flayer and wall are just annoyances. Of course, simply splitting the tome payout won't change that much and you might even get a "pro" demographic that'd ***** about people just killing flayer and getting tomes if that was an option. Funnily enough, I consider the flayer the hardest boss in AK, but whatever.


More to Vlor's sentiment, I actually hope they don't add tomes to the story dungeons. The whole "skip the CS NOW!" element is bad enough and funneling yet more people to the speedrun mentality won't make that go away. Sure, SE could give 5 tomes if you watch a CS to completion or something, but then we're back to the whole "y u get reward 4 no effort?!11" ******** tier. They're better off just making Wanderer's Palace comparable to AK while letting the pending DF bonus fill in the gaps for people who want more variety. But even then, I don't really think, "Spam Copperbell to fuel a relic!" is really a good route to take due to the content level gap.

Edited, Oct 11th 2013 10:45pm by Seriha
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#50 Oct 11 2013 at 9:54 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
32 posts
I'd love it if the end boss simply called all his minions "who have survived the adventurers' attack" and they all pile on. Meaning, naturally, that if you skip all the trash, you're dealing with dozens of trash mobs. After all, wouldn't intelligent mobs (including trained animals) rush to their master's defense if he was being attacked?

Edited, Oct 11th 2013 11:55pm by Prandiol
#51 Oct 11 2013 at 10:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,084 posts
Eh, might be a stretch to assume they'll tamed or obedient as that depends largely on the mob population and the locale itself. All the guards in magitek facility? Sure. Does that random pugil really want to run to the dragon when it's roaring in Brayfox? Probably not.

I suspect future dungeons will be designed deliberately with no safe spots to die/revive and yet more locking mechanisms akin to the doors in front of the AK bosses. Making trash more rewarding should be the biggest lesson taken from all this, though. I'll even be "that guy" and propose they be able to drop anything you could find in that dungeon's boss chests, just at a low percentage.

Edited, Oct 12th 2013 12:15am by Seriha
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 61 All times are in CST
Lyrailis, Anonymous Guests (60)