Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

dungeon and performance questionFollow

#1 Oct 13 2013 at 9:55 AM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
First off dungeon question.

When you complete a dungeon for teh first time and you see something like this in your chatlog''

"you receive 10000 experience points for first time speedy completion" etc etc
You receive 10000 experience points.

Does that mean i just got 20k or is that second 10k on the list just the 10k I for for first time fast completion thus the first message was just informing me that ID get it whereas the second is be actually getting it?


As for the performance question when youre playing with lots of enemies or a huge enemy on screen and during fights everything stops moving fo a few secs before movement starts again and hp has takin a huge hit (from the seconds you werent seeing any movement even though things were still happening) is that lag or performance issues?

I wonder because id think that if it were lag it would happen on my ps3 as well (which it doent) so it has to be hard ware performance issues but if that were the case then why would I get 10k-11k benchmark score on the settings im running the game on
#2 Oct 13 2013 at 10:24 AM Rating: Good
***
3,444 posts
All the benchmark does is count frames. But what you're describing IS lag (latency).

As for the bonus xp.. I'm pretty sure you're right in your assumption that the second message is you getting the xp the first message tells you you're going to get.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#3 Oct 13 2013 at 11:22 AM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
so then the question becomes where is that lag when i play on ps3?
#4 Oct 13 2013 at 12:49 PM Rating: Excellent
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
so then the question becomes where is that lag when i play on ps3?

And the answer is, "Not there because the PS3 makes a point of not showing too many models at once so it doesn't lag." Because PS3 performance is fixed, it already dials itself back to a level appropriate for what it can maintain.
#5 Oct 13 2013 at 2:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Are you still playing PS3 wired to the network while playing wireless on your laptop? Smiley: dubious
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#6 Oct 13 2013 at 5:56 PM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
nope i took the wire out of ps3 and put it in laptop to test and lag still happened
#7 Oct 13 2013 at 6:17 PM Rating: Good
Did you turn down the graphics at all on PC?
PS3 has set limits, PC version can go past the limits.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a |
#8 Oct 13 2013 at 11:06 PM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
that woulda been my next move but i figure oif im gonna change from High Laptop to Medium Laptop settings then why not just play on ps3?
#9 Oct 13 2013 at 11:44 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
82 posts
Go play on your PS3 then? These type of personal preference questions don't require that much critical thinking and you got the explanation right here...
Caesura wrote:
Quote:
so then the question becomes where is that lag when i play on ps3?

And the answer is, "Not there because the PS3 makes a point of not showing too many models at once so it doesn't lag." Because PS3 performance is fixed, it already dials itself back to a level appropriate for what it can maintain.

You're going to have to compromise either performance or pretty pictures at some point. If you have to dial down the graphics on your PC to get over lag and it's on par with the PS3 settings then only you can answer which you prefer.
____________________________
FFXIV - Goblin - Seraphan Amatsuka
#10 Oct 14 2013 at 9:04 AM Rating: Excellent
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
that woulda been my next move but i figure oif im gonna change from High Laptop to Medium Laptop settings then why not just play on ps3?

So you came here for problem-solving before you tried even the first, easiest, quickest test to see what the source of your lag was?
#11 Oct 14 2013 at 9:50 AM Rating: Good
**
576 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
that woulda been my next move but i figure oif im gonna change from High Laptop to Medium Laptop settings then why not just play on ps3?


I haven't tried myself, but I'm willing to bet that laptop medium setting still looks better and renders more characters at once than the PS3.

But, graphics aren't the only (or even the main) reason PC is a better choice where possible. It's the flexibility in control scheme that is so nice on the PC version.
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#12 Oct 14 2013 at 10:49 AM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
Seraphaniim wrote:
Go play on your PS3 then? These type of personal preference questions don't require that much critical thinking and you got the explanation right here...
Caesura wrote:
Quote:
so then the question becomes where is that lag when i play on ps3?

And the answer is, "Not there because the PS3 makes a point of not showing too many models at once so it doesn't lag." Because PS3 performance is fixed, it already dials itself back to a level appropriate for what it can maintain.

You're going to have to compromise either performance or pretty pictures at some point.


Then id have to ask.. are YOU compromising pretty pictures for performance right now? Is that what EVERYONE who plays on pc laptop has to do? if not then why would i?
#13 Oct 14 2013 at 11:22 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
237 posts
gaming laptop = oxymoron

...for the most part...you can spend a lot of money for a laptop that can play this game well, but it's not very cost effective.
____________________________
FFXIV - Ultros Server - Jaggars Oliana
FC: The Kraken Club <ZAM>
#14 Oct 14 2013 at 12:42 PM Rating: Good
***
3,444 posts
Quote:
Then id have to ask.. are YOU compromising pretty pictures for performance right now? Is that what EVERYONE who plays on pc laptop has to do? if not then why would i?


No I'm not. I'm running at max power everything. Occasionally I get some lag. If it gets really bad, I either deal with it or stop playing for a while.

But in my case not only am I on a high-powered desktop PC (not a laptop), I also know that my internet connection is rock solid. So if there's an issue, it's temporary.

Even a laptop that claims it's for "gaming" can't overcome the principal weakness of laptops: they're small.

You're restricted on airflow at all times. And that restricts other things like how much power your processor can use at a time, how much heat can be generated by your GPU, how many clock cycles your RAM is really capable of. All these things are weakened by the fact they have to take place in a small enclosed space.

Now, is it possible to get a laptop that runs the game well? Yes. Is it possible to get a laptop that runs it as well as a high-end desktop? No.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#15 Oct 14 2013 at 1:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
82 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:

Then id have to ask.. are YOU compromising pretty pictures for performance right now? Is that what EVERYONE who plays on pc laptop has to do? if not then why would i?

If I remember correctly, my settings are set to 'High Laptop' and the only time I really get lag is during AOE-intensive FATEs. Mind you, this is with an almost 7 year old graphics card. Right now I'm in a happy medium with the settings and performance; the game looks nice and runs smoothly. As Callinon pointed out, you're limiting yourself by using a laptop and thus, you'll probably need to sacrifice something or deal with it. I had a gaming laptop many years ago and the ****** would get so hot that I'd have to get a cooling pad to keep it from burning a hole through the desk.

Edit: fixed incorrect word usage

Edited, Oct 14th 2013 6:27pm by Seraphaniim
____________________________
FFXIV - Goblin - Seraphan Amatsuka
#16 Oct 14 2013 at 2:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
36 posts
I have a beast of a PC at home that I play on maxed settings. At work, I use my laptop and notice lots of lag if I put it on high. I set it to Medium Laptop and I can play but I really notice a huge difference over my PC. I did however spend 3x's as much on my home PC.
#17 Oct 14 2013 at 2:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
I have a medium-level, decent desktop that has zero problems with other games, but this game lags to holy **** pretty much anywhere even slightly crowded with other players. I wasn't a huge fan of FATE grinding to begin with, but now i fill up with rage whenever i see that massive crowd of bad-players-in-the-making* rumbling my way on a gigantic, fun-stopping wave of lag.










* i know they aren't all bad, but come on let's be honest, most.

edit: oh zam.

Edited, Oct 14th 2013 6:08pm by Llester
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#18 Oct 14 2013 at 2:38 PM Rating: Good
**
576 posts
Llester wrote:
I have a medium-level, decent desktop that has zero problems with other games, but this game lags to holy **** pretty much anywhere even slightly crowded with other players. I wasn't a huge fan of FATE grinding to begin with, but now i fill up with rage whenever i see that massive crowd of bad-players-in-the-making* rumbling my way on a gigantic, fun-stopping wave of lag.

* i know they aren't all bad, but come on let's be honest, most.


1. Just about everyone levels their second, third, ect jobs via Fates. While Fates can breed bad players, participating in them doesn't mean you are one. Basically what you've said is that most people with multiple jobs are bad players.

2. This game is very hard on the processor, especially so when there are a ton of characters on screen. Check your CPU usage via the Task Manager, I bet it's pegged out. I'm at work, so I can't check if it's possible, but if you can lower the number of PC's displayed that would help, as well as disabling movement physics for characters other than yourself.

Edited, Oct 14th 2013 4:39pm by Pickins
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#19 Oct 14 2013 at 2:43 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
1. it was a joke.

2. yes, i'm pretty sure my CPU is the problem.

Edited, Oct 14th 2013 4:44pm by Llester
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#20 Oct 14 2013 at 3:06 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Hey, that was the title of my thread!

____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#21 Oct 14 2013 at 3:10 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
yeah I need to upgrade mobo so I can get an i7; til then, the game is totally playable (and thankfully instances are smooth as silk), with the exception of crowded areas sucking, not in a good way.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#22 Oct 14 2013 at 3:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
Llester wrote:
yeah I need to upgrade mobo so I can get an i7; til then, the game is totally playable (and thankfully instances are smooth as silk), with the exception of crowded areas sucking, not in a good way.


Except that an i7 is going to waste if you're just playing games.
#23 Oct 14 2013 at 3:33 PM Rating: Good
**
576 posts
Llester wrote:
yeah I need to upgrade mobo so I can get an i7; til then, the game is totally playable (and thankfully instances are smooth as silk), with the exception of crowded areas sucking, not in a good way.


Just a heads up, with an i5 4670k at 4.2Ghz, I still get ~45-50 FPS in highly crowded areas (mostly market areas of town).

At this point in time, I'm not sure there is a CPU on the market that can maintain 60FPS solid.

Viertel wrote:

Except that an i7 is going to waste if you're just playing games.


I tend to agree. The main benefit you get is SMT in the form of HyperThreading, which is not really necessary for today's games (on a quad core; for a dual core, HT can be quite beneficial).

Edited, Oct 14th 2013 5:37pm by Pickins
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#24 Oct 14 2013 at 3:51 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
well, i also use my machine for producing vector graphics (also CPU intensive), but hmmm thanks for the info I may just go for the i5 instead. had no idea that i7 was not worth it.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#25 Oct 14 2013 at 3:53 PM Rating: Good
**
576 posts
Llester wrote:
well, i also use my machine for producing vector graphics (also CPU intensive), but hmmm thanks for the info I may just go for the i5 instead. had no idea that i7 was not worth it.


Depending on how multithreaded your work is, and I'd figure vector graphics would be, an i7 may be worth it for you. The only real way to tell would be by researching real world benchmarks with the applications you use.
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#26 Oct 14 2013 at 4:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
yeah that sounds prudent, thanks for the tips!
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#27 Oct 14 2013 at 6:35 PM Rating: Excellent
*
149 posts
Pickins wrote:
Llester wrote:
well, i also use my machine for producing vector graphics (also CPU intensive), but hmmm thanks for the info I may just go for the i5 instead. had no idea that i7 was not worth it.


Depending on how multithreaded your work is, and I'd figure vector graphics would be, an i7 may be worth it for you. The only real way to tell would be by researching real world benchmarks with the applications you use.


I think of processors like a condom. I'd rather have and not need than need and not have, especially with the price being modestly low. I upgrade piecemeal though, and I usually get the better part of a decade out of my processors.
#28 Oct 14 2013 at 10:44 PM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
Then id have to ask.. are YOU compromising pretty pictures for performance right now? Is that what EVERYONE who plays on pc laptop has to do? if not then why would i?


No I'm not. I'm running at max power everything. Occasionally I get some lag. If it gets really bad, I either deal with it or stop playing for a while.

But in my case not only am I on a high-powered desktop PC (not a laptop), I also know that my internet connection is rock solid. So if there's an issue, it's temporary.

Even a laptop that claims it's for "gaming" can't overcome the principal weakness of laptops: they're small.

You're restricted on airflow at all times. And that restricts other things like how much power your processor can use at a time, how much heat can be generated by your GPU, how many clock cycles your RAM is really capable of. All these things are weakened by the fact they have to take place in a small enclosed space.

Now, is it possible to get a laptop that runs the game well? Yes. Is it possible to get a laptop that runs it as well as a high-end desktop? No.


.
well even idiots know desktop > laptop however you would think laptop > ps3

im not expecting it to run as good as or better than a desktop.. i AM however expecting it to run better than a 7 year old console
#29 Oct 15 2013 at 10:57 AM Rating: Good
**
576 posts
Medieve wrote:

I think of processors like a condom. I'd rather have and not need than need and not have, especially with the price being modestly low. I upgrade piecemeal though, and I usually get the better part of a decade out of my processors.


That's definitely a valid view.

I tend to upgrade every 2 to 3 years, and on a fairly limited budget (the wife would prefer I didn't spend $1K+ each time). With the $100 saved by dropping from an i7 to an i5 I was able to get a much more powerful video card.

As I primarily use my PC for gaming, my bang for the buck is much greater this way. I do miss hyperthreading when encoding videos, but I usually do those overnight as a batch anyway.
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#30 Oct 15 2013 at 10:19 PM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
i may have solved my lag problem.. i used to play on a JP server until today (finally transferred to the US server i wanted) now before you say "youre in the US on a JP server? OBVIOUSLY youre gonna lag" well all this lag happens in duty finder and last i checked duty finder dungeons but you on a different server most of the time. and considering everyone ive run those dungeon with spoke english whos to say those DF servers i was on when gettin lag werent US servers?
#31 Oct 15 2013 at 10:23 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,444 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
i may have solved my lag problem.. i used to play on a JP server until today (finally transferred to the US server i wanted) now before you say "youre in the US on a JP server? OBVIOUSLY youre gonna lag" well all this lag happens in duty finder and last i checked duty finder dungeons but you on a different server most of the time. and considering everyone ive run those dungeon with spoke english whos to say those DF servers i was on when gettin lag werent US servers?


Did you only have E checked for your language settings? Smiley: rolleyes

And duty finder servers are still located in their respective data centers. It isn't some magical journey that splits the difference.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#32 Oct 15 2013 at 11:16 PM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
so all those english speaking players were on jp servers too? lets say youre right the fact that ive always been on a jp server and got no lag in dungeons on ps3 but get it constantly on laptop means theres a very high chance that being on an NA server isnt gonna make a difference as the issue is clearly not ping related
#33 Oct 16 2013 at 3:12 AM Rating: Excellent
**
658 posts
Given that there is a large population of English speakers who live closer to the Japanese data centers than either the EU or NA data centers, it shouldn't be a surprise that you run into them even on the JP servers.

Take a look at the world map, see that big continent, and the landmass that vaguely resembles a semi-colon, those are Australia an New Zealand. Both of those are countries where the vast majority of people know English. Also, see the islands between Japan and Australia, most of those islands also have a significant proportion of their population that can speak English.

Sorry if I sound snarky, but you did kind of ignore some 30+ million english speakers when you expressed doubt that there could be many english speakers on the Japanese servers.

Also, you do seem to be forgetting all the whining that people were having to create characters on the JP servers during the launch issues because the NA and EU servers kept going down. So it is also possible that some people decided to keep playing those characters (you know, just like you apparently decided to) instead of starting over on the NA or EU servers.
____________________________
[ffxisig]121077[/ffxisig]
#34 Oct 16 2013 at 10:53 AM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
yes Im well aware of the fact that ppl in Australia and new zeland speak english. however i figured that would be on an na/eu server after all if you go to EU gaming sites they mention release dates and gaming info for not just EU but AUS as well. JP and NA sites dont do that, so although AUS isnt part of the EU i figured when it came to gaming they were handled in the same category.


but this is all irrelevant we'll see how well it works when im in a dungeon. which im not holding my breath as when i was in Drybone last night there were two ppl outside the church fighting a bee swarm and i saw then stopping/pausing and teleporting all over the screen. and two ppl fighting 1 bee swarm is much less than what goes on in a dungeon
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 65 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (65)