Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

EUROPEANS!! Do not upgrade to Windows 8.1 just yetFollow

#1 Oct 17 2013 at 3:59 AM Rating: Good
**
589 posts
Codecs for wmp have not been released with W8.1 which breaks the game.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/107619-Game-not-logging-into-character-select-screen?p=1436790&viewfull=1#post1436790

Glad I saw this at work, otherwise I probably would have.

Edited title

Edited, Oct 17th 2013 7:54am by SolomonGrundy
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
#2 Oct 17 2013 at 4:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
What are they referring to when they say the "N version" ? Sounds like that's different than what is being released today.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#3 Oct 17 2013 at 4:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,747 posts
"N" editions are EU-only versions without media player (I guess forcing WMP on customers breaks some monopoly laws or something?)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/what-is-windows-7-n-edition

Edit: Updated sig :>

Edited, Oct 17th 2013 6:56am by Ske
____________________________
FFXIV: Udo Kaputnik (Phoenix) 50WAR 50BLM ??WHM (in progress)
FFXI: Kaputnik (Ragnarok) 99SAM 99BST 99WHM 99BLM +++ (retired)
#4 Oct 17 2013 at 4:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Ske wrote:
"N" editions are EU-only versions without media player (I guess forcing WMP on customers breaks some monopoly laws or something?).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/what-is-windows-7-n-edition


Thanks, I guess Google would have solved that for me Smiley: laugh

I'll bravely update today and let you guys know how it goes.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#5 Oct 17 2013 at 5:02 AM Rating: Excellent
I have 7 N ultimate, you just have to turn off the opening movie through the config document. I've had to do it since beta since I didn't have the WMV pack. I imagine it'd be the same for 8.1.

My Documents > My Games > FFXIV A Realm Reborn > FFXIV.cfg

Pretty sure that's the path (at work right now). Find the opening cutscene line and change the 1 to a 0....or maybe a 0 to a 1.

Edited, Oct 17th 2013 7:09am by Montsegurnephcreep
____________________________

#6 Oct 17 2013 at 5:37 AM Rating: Good
**
589 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
I have 7 N ultimate, you just have to turn off the opening movie through the config document. I've had to do it since beta since I didn't have the WMV pack. I imagine it'd be the same for 8.1.

My Documents > My Games > FFXIV A Realm Reborn > FFXIV.cfg

Pretty sure that's the path (at work right now). Find the opening cutscene line and change the 1 to a 0....or maybe a 0 to a 1.

Edited, Oct 17th 2013 7:09am by Montsegurnephcreep


What about in game cut scenes, they are no affected?
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
#7 Oct 17 2013 at 5:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Update downloaded, changes being applied! Exciting! Smiley: nod
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#8 Oct 17 2013 at 6:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Works for NA, at least in regular desktop mode. Trying to get Surround configured now.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#9 Oct 17 2013 at 7:10 AM Rating: Good
I thought it was released tomorrow?
____________________________
Drulian Griggory - Meneldor. Member of There Is No Fifth Star


#10 Oct 17 2013 at 7:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Drulian, Pie Eating Champion wrote:
I thought it was released tomorrow?


No, if you go to the Windows Store it's there.

I'd hold off though, I'm getting all kinds of instability right now, not XIV related, having problems with the machine freezing just sitting here doing nothing. Trying to diagnose to see if it's a service or startup item that is causing it.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#11 Oct 17 2013 at 9:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
36 posts
I noticed after upgrading my desktop to 8.1 NA that my in game sound did not work. I had to close the game and reconfigure my sound and it is working now. No other problems
#12 Oct 17 2013 at 11:29 AM Rating: Good
SolomonGrundy wrote:
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
I have 7 N ultimate, you just have to turn off the opening movie through the config document. I've had to do it since beta since I didn't have the WMV pack. I imagine it'd be the same for 8.1.

My Documents > My Games > FFXIV A Realm Reborn > FFXIV.cfg

Pretty sure that's the path (at work right now). Find the opening cutscene line and change the 1 to a 0....or maybe a 0 to a 1.

Edited, Oct 17th 2013 7:09am by Montsegurnephcreep


What about in game cut scenes, they are no affected?


Was no effect for me as they use in game graphics and not a FMV.
____________________________

#13 Oct 18 2013 at 5:46 AM Rating: Decent
**
589 posts
What is the consensus on 8.1 then - is it good? There is a fix out for the N version here

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40744&WT.mc_id=rss_alldownloads_devresources

I'm itching to try it, but not if it's still broken.
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
#14 Oct 18 2013 at 7:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Nvidia Surround (I think) is causing Windows 8.1 to freeze randomly for me. I have to play on a single monitor for now, hopefully they will release a driver update that fixes it.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 61 All times are in CST
BrokenFox, Callinon, Lyrailis, Anonymous Guests (58)