Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Princess TanksFollow

#102 Oct 22 2013 at 11:44 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
283 posts
Catwho wrote:
I agree that by the level 30 dungeons folks ought to have a handle on what they need to do. By Haukke Manor, they've had to go through at least four dungeons in the main scenario (the three tutorial dungeons and Toto Rok) so they can't be totally ignorant of their role.

As a tank or healer, or even as a fellow DPS, if you have someone who is being a moron in your group, give them a few chances before you give up entirely.

Also, if someone admits they screwed up and apologizes, it's really rude to leave anyway.


It is rude to just drop a party over one mistake. I make them myself. I have broken my own CC mobs before. That said when I as a healer have to know how to heal, CC, conserve my mana for when **** hits the fan, know how the fights work to stay alive and keep you alive, and do damage to me its just as rude to come into a dungeon and not at least put 1/2 the work into knowing your job as I do. I don't think it is so much to ask that people learn there job.

If I came into a dungeon and did nothing but cast stone 2 over and over wile everyone died I would get attacked and no one would stay for the group. If a PLD came in and did nothing but cast cure over and over on the dps that had hate it would be the same thing. No one would defend the bad healer or tank. But I see a lot of post like this on all of the forums I go to claiming that healers and tanks are drama queens or princess or this or that. And I am fine with that title.

I put a lot of work into being good at my job. I will not waist my time with people that want to just be lazy or bad at their job.
#103 Oct 22 2013 at 1:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
161 posts
Sethern79 wrote:
Call me a "Princess" all you want! If you are in a dungeon level 30 or higher and you still don't know your job GTFO. I am not here to teach you how to play the game. As a WHM I can just drop the group and get a better one. If you are spanking my sleep targets, pulling hate over and over, not keeping hate, NOT USING YOUR GD COOL DOWNS (tanks I am looking at you), Or just plain disrupting the group I am going to say something and there is a good chance I will drop the party if I need to!

I was in a group today that did all the above at once. The 2 dps thought they where off tanks and smacked all of my sleep targets. The tank could only keep hate on one target at a time and had no GD idea what a cool down was. then to top it off I explain a boss fight to them letting them know I will be sleeping the boss when the add spawns and the **** tank stays on the boss for the full fight stopping me from casting sleep on it and forcing me to heal the dps who where off tanking the add. The add dies with me at 1/3 mana shortly after one of our dps dies from a cone aoe attack and starts asking for a rez wile the tank was getting his *** handed to him because he did not use any cool downs at all ever! I run out of mana after heal tanking the boss when the tank went down and we all die!

I am sorry but if dropping that group with a "You are all bad bad bad players!" Makes me a "princess" I will gladly take that title!


Not sure about Princess but for sure something starting with an a and ending with a hole. It doesn't matter how bad a party is dropping saying "you are all bad bad bad players!" then you're not a Princess you're a ****. Even if someone sucks something fierce in the game you have zero right say jack all to them. What gives you the right? Were you perfect your first job to 50 on your first MMO? How do you know the person in your party wasn't 15 years old and just trying out the game for the first time...FFS you can be 50 in a week or two in this game without trying at all if your not familiar with MMO's things like pull management, party dynamics, hate management etc etc etc are VERY VERY VERY new to you. The player in question could be someone who has played solo games forever and like this thread has suggested the 4 previous dungeons can be done without much effort this could be his/her first real challenge in game.

You want to play with people as uber awesome skilled as you join a Free company and party with people you know...don't expect Duty finder to always put you in an elite group. To me Duty finder is the equilvalent of accepting a blind invite in FFXI...sure it could work out but chances are you getting stuck with a whm with no subjob and 5 DD's...

Not everyone is an MMO expert regardless of the job they choose...I remember in FFXI there was a WHM/THF on my server named Anna...she refused to switch subjobs and there were posts, flames and name calling all over the place this board included for years. I was told later that Anna was at 14 year old girl who just wanted to play a game. Now I never flamed her I never encountered her ingame (aside from passing her in town) I have a niece that is 14 and is sort of into Rift and I would tear a new one to anyone who made her worthless because she attacked a spelt pixel mob in a dungeon. There is no death pen in game, gil is easy to get so the only lost thing is time...which if it was a DF PUG it's not the "bad" players fault its your's for joining a PUG if youre not willing to deal with fresho's

#104 Oct 22 2013 at 2:14 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,270 posts
When being a princess tank is okay.

Dungeon: Brayflox Longstep
Offender: WHM
Offense: Trying to heal with cleric stance on and letting the tank die 3 times in a row

Response: I thought cleric stance increased heals, how do i turn it off?

3 deaths + that comment = goodbye, if vote kick were an option id have booted the whm and not punished the DD, but i feel i did my part by helping 40+ groups of first timers clear it this weekend.
#105 Oct 22 2013 at 2:29 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
283 posts
TheAnf wrote:
Sethern79 wrote:
Call me a "Princess" all you want! If you are in a dungeon level 30 or higher and you still don't know your job GTFO. I am not here to teach you how to play the game. As a WHM I can just drop the group and get a better one. If you are spanking my sleep targets, pulling hate over and over, not keeping hate, NOT USING YOUR GD COOL DOWNS (tanks I am looking at you), Or just plain disrupting the group I am going to say something and there is a good chance I will drop the party if I need to!

I was in a group today that did all the above at once. The 2 dps thought they where off tanks and smacked all of my sleep targets. The tank could only keep hate on one target at a time and had no GD idea what a cool down was. then to top it off I explain a boss fight to them letting them know I will be sleeping the boss when the add spawns and the **** tank stays on the boss for the full fight stopping me from casting sleep on it and forcing me to heal the dps who where off tanking the add. The add dies with me at 1/3 mana shortly after one of our dps dies from a cone aoe attack and starts asking for a rez wile the tank was getting his *** handed to him because he did not use any cool downs at all ever! I run out of mana after heal tanking the boss when the tank went down and we all die!

I am sorry but if dropping that group with a "You are all bad bad bad players!" Makes me a "princess" I will gladly take that title!


Not sure about Princess but for sure something starting with an a and ending with a hole. It doesn't matter how bad a party is dropping saying "you are all bad bad bad players!" then you're not a Princess you're a ****. Even if someone sucks something fierce in the game you have zero right say jack all to them. What gives you the right? Were you perfect your first job to 50 on your first MMO? How do you know the person in your party wasn't 15 years old and just trying out the game for the first time...FFS you can be 50 in a week or two in this game without trying at all if your not familiar with MMO's things like pull management, party dynamics, hate management etc etc etc are VERY VERY VERY new to you. The player in question could be someone who has played solo games forever and like this thread has suggested the 4 previous dungeons can be done without much effort this could be his/her first real challenge in game.

You want to play with people as uber awesome skilled as you join a Free company and party with people you know...don't expect Duty finder to always put you in an elite group. To me Duty finder is the equilvalent of accepting a blind invite in FFXI...sure it could work out but chances are you getting stuck with a whm with no subjob and 5 DD's...

Not everyone is an MMO expert regardless of the job they choose...I remember in FFXI there was a WHM/THF on my server named Anna...she refused to switch subjobs and there were posts, flames and name calling all over the place this board included for years. I was told later that Anna was at 14 year old girl who just wanted to play a game. Now I never flamed her I never encountered her ingame (aside from passing her in town) I have a niece that is 14 and is sort of into Rift and I would tear a new one to anyone who made her worthless because she attacked a spelt pixel mob in a dungeon. There is no death pen in game, gil is easy to get so the only lost thing is time...which if it was a DF PUG it's not the "bad" players fault its your's for joining a PUG if youre not willing to deal with fresho's



Oh give me a brake. You hear this one every time. "They could be a kid" "They could be new to the game" "They could just be someone looking to have fun" Whatever it is they where bad at the game. The fact that I can type gives me the right to say something when people are being bad. This is not my first MMO. I started out in EQ playing an Enchanter. I got to level 45 solo then started playing in party's. The first few groups people would kick me out telling me how bad I was doing. That got me to look up and read about my class. I became a very good player in the end.

You can cry **** all you want. **** there are times I have been a **** just because I could. I don't care why the guy is bad at the game. If you come into a group around level 30 and have no clue how to play your class you are asking for it. And the BS about being 14 or whatever is just crap. I started when I was 15 **** some of the best players I know are kids. The fact is most bad players you run into are older lazy gamer's. Its not that they don't know any better its that they don't care to. It is 100% the bad players fault for being bad and ******** up the party to say its not is just a cop out. You would not go to a UDF order a milkshake then say. "Well **** this Milkshake sucks! Must be my fault that it was bad! I am sure the guy making it was just new!" Then again the care bears that have started to take over MMOs now days probably would!
#106 Oct 22 2013 at 2:38 PM Rating: Good
**
660 posts
This thread is like what would happen if a group of MMO players got a spot on the Jerry Springer show. I hate reading it but I just can't look away.
____________________________


#107 Oct 22 2013 at 2:39 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
dustinfoley wrote:
When being a princess tank is okay.

Dungeon: Brayflox Longstep
Offender: WHM
Offense: Trying to heal with cleric stance on and letting the tank die 3 times in a row

Response: I thought cleric stance increased heals, how do i turn it off?

3 deaths + that comment = goodbye, if vote kick were an option id have booted the whm and not punished the DD, but i feel i did my part by helping 40+ groups of first timers clear it this weekend.


I'd bet money this person leveled primarily in fates. I used to think abyssa in FFXI turned out noobs, fate grinding is 10x worse.
#108 Oct 22 2013 at 3:06 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
161 posts
Sethern79 wrote:
TheAnf wrote:
Sethern79 wrote:
Call me a "Princess" all you want! If you are in a dungeon level 30 or higher and you still don't know your job GTFO. I am not here to teach you how to play the game. As a WHM I can just drop the group and get a better one. If you are spanking my sleep targets, pulling hate over and over, not keeping hate, NOT USING YOUR GD COOL DOWNS (tanks I am looking at you), Or just plain disrupting the group I am going to say something and there is a good chance I will drop the party if I need to!

I was in a group today that did all the above at once. The 2 dps thought they where off tanks and smacked all of my sleep targets. The tank could only keep hate on one target at a time and had no GD idea what a cool down was. then to top it off I explain a boss fight to them letting them know I will be sleeping the boss when the add spawns and the **** tank stays on the boss for the full fight stopping me from casting sleep on it and forcing me to heal the dps who where off tanking the add. The add dies with me at 1/3 mana shortly after one of our dps dies from a cone aoe attack and starts asking for a rez wile the tank was getting his *** handed to him because he did not use any cool downs at all ever! I run out of mana after heal tanking the boss when the tank went down and we all die!

I am sorry but if dropping that group with a "You are all bad bad bad players!" Makes me a "princess" I will gladly take that title!


Not sure about Princess but for sure something starting with an a and ending with a hole. It doesn't matter how bad a party is dropping saying "you are all bad bad bad players!" then you're not a Princess you're a ****. Even if someone sucks something fierce in the game you have zero right say jack all to them. What gives you the right? Were you perfect your first job to 50 on your first MMO? How do you know the person in your party wasn't 15 years old and just trying out the game for the first time...FFS you can be 50 in a week or two in this game without trying at all if your not familiar with MMO's things like pull management, party dynamics, hate management etc etc etc are VERY VERY VERY new to you. The player in question could be someone who has played solo games forever and like this thread has suggested the 4 previous dungeons can be done without much effort this could be his/her first real challenge in game.

You want to play with people as uber awesome skilled as you join a Free company and party with people you know...don't expect Duty finder to always put you in an elite group. To me Duty finder is the equilvalent of accepting a blind invite in FFXI...sure it could work out but chances are you getting stuck with a whm with no subjob and 5 DD's...

Not everyone is an MMO expert regardless of the job they choose...I remember in FFXI there was a WHM/THF on my server named Anna...she refused to switch subjobs and there were posts, flames and name calling all over the place this board included for years. I was told later that Anna was at 14 year old girl who just wanted to play a game. Now I never flamed her I never encountered her ingame (aside from passing her in town) I have a niece that is 14 and is sort of into Rift and I would tear a new one to anyone who made her worthless because she attacked a spelt pixel mob in a dungeon. There is no death pen in game, gil is easy to get so the only lost thing is time...which if it was a DF PUG it's not the "bad" players fault its your's for joining a PUG if youre not willing to deal with fresho's



Oh give me a brake. You hear this one every time. "They could be a kid" "They could be new to the game" "They could just be someone looking to have fun" Whatever it is they where bad at the game. The fact that I can type gives me the right to say something when people are being bad. This is not my first MMO. I started out in EQ playing an Enchanter. I got to level 45 solo then started playing in party's. The first few groups people would kick me out telling me how bad I was doing. That got me to look up and read about my class. I became a very good player in the end.

You can cry **** all you want. **** there are times I have been a **** just because I could. I don't care why the guy is bad at the game. If you come into a group around level 30 and have no clue how to play your class you are asking for it. And the BS about being 14 or whatever is just crap. I started when I was 15 **** some of the best players I know are kids. The fact is most bad players you run into are older lazy gamer's. Its not that they don't know any better its that they don't care to. It is 100% the bad players fault for being bad and ******** up the party to say its not is just a cop out. You would not go to a UDF order a milkshake then say. "Well **** this Milkshake sucks! Must be my fault that it was bad! I am sure the guy making it was just new!" Then again the care bears that have started to take over MMOs now days probably would!


No point arguing...you admit everything that is wrong with you in your own post. You admit to being an ******* and a ****. Congradulations you succeeded, I bet your mother is extremely proud of you. You get a plus one for taking an online video game seriously. You don't have any rights associated to typing the "skill" of typing does not entitle you in anyway. It gives you a medium to speak from sure but no son you do not have a right to f**k all.

I'll also give you a gold star for some winning blanket statements

Sethern79 wrote:
The fact is most bad players you run into are older lazy gamer's. Its not that they don't know any better its that they don't care to


clap clap clap...I don't even need to say anything you...just wind you up and watch you dig your own grave.

My point is you have 2 choices...you can be kind or you can be cruel. You clearly are choosing to be cruel...great job. So you had a few EQ groups that were mean to you so you believe that is the right thing to do, its not...nothing gives you the right to be an ******* to someone else.

I'm 100% serious right now...I actually feel bad for you. If you are being serious thinking that your behaviour is right or acceptable then I legit feel sick for you.

PS: you're milkshake analogy doesn't make sense at all...

#109 Oct 22 2013 at 3:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Quote:
Oh give me a brake.


Sure. You need rotors or drums?
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#110 Oct 22 2013 at 3:12 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Sethern79 wrote:
poorly spelled/punctuated wall of text



take that **** to the OF
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#111 Oct 22 2013 at 3:18 PM Rating: Good
****
5,745 posts
dustinfoley wrote:
When being a princess tank is okay.

Dungeon: Brayflox Longstep
Offender: WHM
Offense: Trying to heal with cleric stance on and letting the tank die 3 times in a row

Response: I thought cleric stance increased heals, how do i turn it off?

3 deaths + that comment = goodbye, if vote kick were an option id have booted the whm and not punished the DD, but i feel i did my part by helping 40+ groups of first timers clear it this weekend.

Of all the problems to deal with, instructing a healer how to turn off Cleric's Stance is probably one of the easier things to do.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#112Sethern79, Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 3:22 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) So telling someone that they are bad at a game is cruel? ROFL. You are kidding aren't you? If you think that is cruel you have some truly thin skin bro. Whatever you do don't get online with Halo players you may just kill yourself! I love how care bear MMOs have become. It really is funny.
#113 Oct 22 2013 at 3:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
I remember in FFXI there was a WHM/THF on my server named Anna...she refused to switch subjobs and there were posts, flames and name calling all over the place this board included for years. I was told later that Anna was at 14 year old girl who just wanted to play a game.


Anna was a dude! And he was one **** of a troll, too.

I'm sure the biggest reason he played FFXI was just to revel in the rage. Smiley: lol
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#114 Oct 22 2013 at 3:52 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
161 posts
Sethern79 wrote:
So telling someone that they are bad at a game is cruel? ROFL. You are kidding aren't you? If you think that is cruel you have some truly thin skin bro. Whatever you do don't get online with Halo players you may just kill yourself! I love how care bear MMOs have become. It really is funny.


Is this real life?

I don't think you'd be telling someone they were bad to encourage them or any positive way, considering your posts so far I would believe it would be malacious considering and I quote:

Sethern79 wrote:
**** there are times I have been a **** just because I could


Yes it is cruel. Mean. Malacious and overall makes you an A-hole. I'm not name calling...your actions make this truth...if you changed you would stop being this and I'd discribe you by your actions.

I'm not kidding I think you you are an example of what is wrong with people. You think your actions aren't what the issue is the issue is that xxx person has "thin skin" or that "they should just get better then I wouldn't have to be mean" as if that excuses your behaviour. It does not. You are responsible for how you act regardless of how people are treating or acting or playing around you.

Also truthfully it makes you a coward. To hide behind a keyboard and bully (lets make no mistake you are a bully) is cowardice.

Again I actually feel bad for you...I don't know who in your life hurt you or who taught you your values...




#115 Oct 22 2013 at 3:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
161 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
I remember in FFXI there was a WHM/THF on my server named Anna...she refused to switch subjobs and there were posts, flames and name calling all over the place this board included for years. I was told later that Anna was at 14 year old girl who just wanted to play a game.


Anna was a dude! And he was one **** of a troll, too.

I'm sure the biggest reason he played FFXI was just to revel in the rage. Smiley: lol


Seriously Anna was a man? A Man was Anna...What the... That's it! Einhorn is Finkle! Finkle is Einhorn! Einhorn is a man!

Oh, my GOD! Einhorn is a man!

#116 Oct 22 2013 at 4:05 PM Rating: Excellent
*
181 posts
Anna is a man!

Edited, Oct 22nd 2013 3:07pm by fatpolomanjr
____________________________
Wiggums: "Lou! Lou are you alright!?"
Lou: The electric yellow has got me by the brain banana.
Hunter Gathers (Goblin)
#117 Oct 22 2013 at 4:08 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
283 posts
TheAnf wrote:
Sethern79 wrote:
So telling someone that they are bad at a game is cruel? ROFL. You are kidding aren't you? If you think that is cruel you have some truly thin skin bro. Whatever you do don't get online with Halo players you may just kill yourself! I love how care bear MMOs have become. It really is funny.


Is this real life?

I don't think you'd be telling someone they were bad to encourage them or any positive way, considering your posts so far I would believe it would be malacious considering and I quote:

Sethern79 wrote:
**** there are times I have been a **** just because I could


Yes it is cruel. Mean. Malacious and overall makes you an A-hole. I'm not name calling...your actions make this truth...if you changed you would stop being this and I'd discribe you by your actions.

I'm not kidding I think you you are an example of what is wrong with people. You think your actions aren't what the issue is the issue is that xxx person has "thin skin" or that "they should just get better then I wouldn't have to be mean" as if that excuses your behaviour. It does not. You are responsible for how you act regardless of how people are treating or acting or playing around you.

Also truthfully it makes you a coward. To hide behind a keyboard and bully (lets make no mistake you are a bully) is cowardice.

Again I actually feel bad for you...I don't know who in your life hurt you or who taught you your values...





now I am bully? ROFL. Welcome to the interweb! Feel bad for me all you want. Yes I am such a coward and a bully for telling someone they are bad at a video game. I should feel so bad about myself. I am so sure that guy I told was bad is still crying over it now. I can see him standing in his closet with a rope around his neck. Why oh why am I such a ****!

You know I think you may be more bent out of shape over what I said to another gamer than said gamer is! Now that's sad! I feel bad for you.

Edited, Oct 22nd 2013 6:16pm by Sethern79
#118 Oct 22 2013 at 4:10 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Thayos wrote:


Anna was a dude! And he was one **** of a troll, too.

I'm sure the biggest reason he played FFXI was just to revel in the rage. Smiley: lol


The same Whm/thf that thought her...errr..him hexastrike sneak attack was leet? Oh boy, the memories.
#119 Oct 22 2013 at 4:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,497 posts
Let me share a story where I dropped a party in DF. It might give some perspective on why some tanks drop after a couple of wipes.

We were doing Wanderers Palace early after release and I was explaining mechanics of fights and noticed our dps was low. As a tank I can tell when the dps is bad because I'm watching threat bars and how long the fight takes based on my cooldowns. We beat the first boss without much trouble but the second boss... oh man.

So I explain the fight and pull. The adds just barely go down the first time. The second wave they were almost all up still. Naturally the paralyze and heavy gets someone killed. Since it was a DPS more adds are alive than normal, the adds get too numerous and we wipe. Okay, I explain that the adds must die because they debuff the targeted member and you can't escape if you're heavied and paralyzed. The second fight we don't get any further. My FC is saying they need me for AK Speedruns and I need to go. I consider how long it will take with this group versus the dungeon finder timer and decide to give them a final chance.

I give them a pep talk, help with DPS as much as I can, and we die at exactly the same spot. Our DPS is simply too awful, which is impressive because they were both BRDs. I drop after that wipe.

The thing is, even if my FC wasn't looking for me I'd still have left. I can tell when a group is capable of succeeding and not. I can tell this group would be a long tiring run and I had no plans to stick around. I am not going to spend 45+ min teaching people everything every couple runs. I have a job, I'm tired, I just wanna play. So just because a tank leaves after a few wipes, doesn't mean he is being a princess about it. He probably can tell this party isn't going to complete the dungeon without a **** of a lot of work. And I'm not investing that time in random people. FC and Friends? Absolutely. Randoms? Unless they've been especially nice, no chance.
#120 Oct 22 2013 at 4:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Anna was the best **** Dnc/Pld around. Never forget
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#121 Oct 22 2013 at 4:34 PM Rating: Excellent
**
325 posts
shykin wrote:
/snip good story by a reasonable tank

Thats not being a 'princess'. You gave it a good try and retried with coaching and it just wasn't going to happen and it doesn't sound like you were a jerk about it. Based on your descrpition it would have been just banging your head against a wall to continue.

I think its like the song goes. You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
#122 Oct 22 2013 at 4:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
161 posts
Sethern79 wrote:
now I am bully? ROFL. Welcome to the interweb! Feel bad for me all you want. Yes I am such a coward and a bully for telling someone they are bad at a video game. I should feel so bad about myself. I am so sure that guy I told was bad is still crying over it now. I can see him standing in his closet with a rope around his neck. Why oh why am I such a ****!

You know I think you may be more bent out of shape over what I said to another gamer that said game is! Now that's sad! I feel bad for you.


You should feel bad for me...I've had to put up with you for the last hour or so. Trust me its not easy. It is a chore.

Yes you are a bully and you are a coward for not just owning it.

Bullying - is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children, people that involves a real or perceived power imbalance.

Do I think the person you berated is still thinking about it...I have no idea but you don't know either. He could have wrote you off as a another DF jackass or he could have quit the game and as you so brilliantly put it..."put the rope around his neck"
you have no idea.

I'll tell you what I have learned...you are a bad player. I think you suck at the game. You may have uber leet skillz boyyzzz but attitude and personality are nil. Where I come from character matters, reputation matters, kindness matters.

So to recap because I'm sure you require everything handed to you easily...
- You are a bad person. Period. Blanket statement. Evidence see all your posts.
- You are what is wrong with the games community in a nutshell
- You are a Coward, I see right through your ****.

Anf 1
Sethern79 0

Take your **** to the "OF"





#123 Oct 22 2013 at 4:51 PM Rating: Good
****
4,151 posts
dustinfoley wrote:
When being a princess tank is okay.

Dungeon: Brayflox Longstep
Offender: WHM
Offense: Trying to heal with cleric stance on and letting the tank die 3 times in a row

Response: I thought cleric stance increased heals, how do i turn it off?

3 deaths + that comment = goodbye, if vote kick were an option id have booted the whm and not punished the DD, but i feel i did my part by helping 40+ groups of first timers clear it this weekend.


I wouldn't have waited that long even. How hard is it to read and understand tooltips?
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#124 Oct 22 2013 at 5:00 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
283 posts
TheAnf wrote:
Sethern79 wrote:
now I am bully? ROFL. Welcome to the interweb! Feel bad for me all you want. Yes I am such a coward and a bully for telling someone they are bad at a video game. I should feel so bad about myself. I am so sure that guy I told was bad is still crying over it now. I can see him standing in his closet with a rope around his neck. Why oh why am I such a ****!

You know I think you may be more bent out of shape over what I said to another gamer that said game is! Now that's sad! I feel bad for you.


You should feel bad for me...I've had to put up with you for the last hour or so. Trust me its not easy. It is a chore.

Yes you are a bully and you are a coward for not just owning it.

Bullying - is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children, people that involves a real or perceived power imbalance.

Do I think the person you berated is still thinking about it...I have no idea but you don't know either. He could have wrote you off as a another DF jackass or he could have quit the game and as you so brilliantly put it..."put the rope around his neck"
you have no idea.

I'll tell you what I have learned...you are a bad player. I think you suck at the game. You may have uber leet skillz boyyzzz but attitude and personality are nil. Where I come from character matters, reputation matters, kindness matters.

So to recap because I'm sure you require everything handed to you easily...
- You are a bad person. Period. Blanket statement. Evidence see all your posts.
- You are what is wrong with the games community in a nutshell
- You are a Coward, I see right through your sh*t.

Anf 1
Sethern79 0

Take your sh*t to the "OF"






I love it. Lets see here. So far you have called me a ****, a-hole, coward, and a bad person. I am what is wrong with the gaming community and humanity. All because I told another gamer they where bad at the game. I on the other hand laughed at you and said you may have thin skin. So in our case here who has been the bully?
#125 Oct 22 2013 at 5:04 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
shykin wrote:
Let me share a story where I dropped a party in DF. It might give some perspective on why some tanks drop after a couple of wipes.

We were doing Wanderers Palace early after release and I was explaining mechanics of fights and noticed our dps was low. As a tank I can tell when the dps is bad because I'm watching threat bars and how long the fight takes based on my cooldowns. We beat the first boss without much trouble but the second boss... oh man.

So I explain the fight and pull. The adds just barely go down the first time. The second wave they were almost all up still. Naturally the paralyze and heavy gets someone killed. Since it was a DPS more adds are alive than normal, the adds get too numerous and we wipe. Okay, I explain that the adds must die because they debuff the targeted member and you can't escape if you're heavied and paralyzed. The second fight we don't get any further. My FC is saying they need me for AK Speedruns and I need to go. I consider how long it will take with this group versus the dungeon finder timer and decide to give them a final chance.

I give them a pep talk, help with DPS as much as I can, and we die at exactly the same spot. Our DPS is simply too awful, which is impressive because they were both BRDs. I drop after that wipe.

The thing is, even if my FC wasn't looking for me I'd still have left.


As much as you might believe it to make yourself feel better, you're wrong. I have many examples where I was in a similiar position and instead of dropping, I stayed and made it though helping other players to become better.

One example was Brayfox and our tank was under-geared and unfamiliar with this zone. So as luck would have it, all the drops were for the PLD. Still she was taking far too much damage, didn't know how to pull, and was basically a newb. So as we struggled past each boss on the first try, we reached the last boss and things went south. Anybody who's ever healed this dungeon before knows that the tank will take a beating if they don't use their migration tools properly or are under- geared. Well everything that could go wrong did. Tank runs out of healing range, doesn't pull boss out of green pits, DPS aren't avoiding Aoe and so forth. The main problem was the tank and after many wipes, I went back to my healer playbook from FFXI. I explained what to do yet again and motivated my party by doing so. We were successful on the final try, no deaths.

I notice how most players are quick to give the ultimatum that if you wipe a few more times, they're going to leave. Well that doesn't work and those people never had any intention of helping their party succeed. There is no I in team and some of you haven't realized that. You claim to be "team players", but that's only if the team is good enough without you having to do any real work. The bottom line is people who give up that easily are lazy and selfish. It's only about their XP, never about the goals of the group. Maybe some parties aren't winnable, but it's been my experience as the guy who watches an listens that the elitist guy is looking for a reason to leave. They just want a reason to justify it. IE... The DPS wasn't kill fast enough so they drop party before the demon wall. Ironically, after getting a replacement, I'd say about 90% of my parties succeed where the guy who dropped was dead wrong.
#126 Oct 22 2013 at 5:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
A lot of this comes down to management and coaching styles. There are two approaches you can take: 1. Tear someone down 2. Build someone up.

My boss in RL is amazing and smart and she is the master of balancing both these things. She sings my praises in public, and reserves her criticism for private meetings. I never feel like she is calling me out in public and the rest of our IT department thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. And yet she firmly lets me know where I can improve without question.

Princess tanks are the ******* managers who yell at employees in front of the rest of the staff.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#127 Oct 22 2013 at 5:29 PM Rating: Good
*
197 posts
Without writing a page long story, I'm just going to say that having someone berate you and tell you that you suck can stick with you more then you think it will, and I don't consider myself to be thin skinned being the youngest of three boys I took my share of beatings/harrasment as a child.

Is it really that hard to be helpful, or at the very least just drop group without having to poke fun at someone. Not everyone is good at everything, regardless of age. I got in a brayflox run where the tank was horrible, like really horrible, he couldn't hold aggro on anything and was completely unresponsive to anything we said. After 4-5 wipes on the last boss, with me pulling aggro after two fire1 casts, I just said that maybe he should read up on his class and drop group, cause honestly, there is really no reason to be like "OMFG YOU ******* SUCK" is there?

I don't know, after reading all of these posts, it makes me really appreciate the friendly helpful atmosphere in my FC.
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#128 Oct 22 2013 at 5:30 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,151 posts
Catwho wrote:
A lot of this comes down to management and coaching styles. There are two approaches you can take: 1. Tear someone down 2. Build someone up.

My boss in RL is amazing and smart and she is the master of balancing both these things. She sings my praises in public, and reserves her criticism for private meetings. I never feel like she is calling me out in public and the rest of our IT department thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. And yet she firmly lets me know where I can improve without question.

Princess tanks are the @#%^ managers who yell at employees in front of the rest of the staff.


Is there a tactful way to ask someone if they know how to read? Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#129 Oct 22 2013 at 7:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
617 posts
Catwho wrote:
A lot of this comes down to management and coaching styles. There are two approaches you can take: 1. Tear someone down 2. Build someone up.

My boss in RL is amazing and smart and she is the master of balancing both these things. She sings my praises in public, and reserves her criticism for private meetings. I never feel like she is calling me out in public and the rest of our IT department thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. And yet she firmly lets me know where I can improve without question.

Princess tanks are the @#%^ managers who yell at employees in front of the rest of the staff.


This is one of the top rules of being an effective leader: Praise in public, correct in private. I just wish some of the senior enlisted and officers at my command would remember that from time to time XD.
#130 Oct 22 2013 at 9:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Catwho wrote:
A lot of this comes down to management and coaching styles. There are two approaches you can take: 1. Tear someone down 2. Build someone up.

My boss in RL is amazing and smart and she is the master of balancing both these things. She sings my praises in public, and reserves her criticism for private meetings. I never feel like she is calling me out in public and the rest of our IT department thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. And yet she firmly lets me know where I can improve without question.

Princess tanks are the @#%^ managers who yell at employees in front of the rest of the staff.


Is there a tactful way to ask someone if they know how to read? Smiley: laugh


"Hey I'm not sure if you know this, but..."

"By the way, X ability does this really cool thing, try using it more"

"If you hover your mouse over the ability it gives you some tips about it. Not sure if you noticed that."

Avoid smiley faces. They can be interpreted as sarcasm. I use the " XD " and " :D " ones instead because they're less likely to trip someone's sarcasm-o-meter when giving constructive criticism.


____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#131 Oct 22 2013 at 10:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
*
181 posts
Well you can't berate on private, due to not being able to send tells in dungeon so party chat is where it's at
#132 Oct 22 2013 at 10:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Had a wonderful incident with a princess THM this afternoon!

We're in Halitali, beat Firemane, then take the aether up to the next floor. He and I are there waiting on the drg and cnj, and THE MOMENT they appear he pulls the mantis. I say "Please don't pull," and he says "Please don't dawdle." Strike 1.

He proceeds to attack mobs in the order HE prefers. Strike 2.

During the final boss, he doesn't go for the adds at all. I know you can get away with skipping one set of adds, but it never hurts to get the basics down. I simply say "<name>, grab the adds." His response was:

Shut up you ****.
Don't tell me how to play.
I'll play my way.
Boss burn is faster.
Me >> I'm a **** for asking you to do your job? xD
Him >> Your a **** for thinking you know everything. ***** you. *leaves dungeon*
Strike 3.

Really?
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#133 Oct 22 2013 at 11:06 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,151 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
Had a wonderful incident with a princess THM this afternoon!

We're in Halitali, beat Firemane, then take the aether up to the next floor. He and I are there waiting on the drg and cnj, and THE MOMENT they appear he pulls the mantis. I say "Please don't pull," and he says "Please don't dawdle." Strike 1.

He proceeds to attack mobs in the order HE prefers. Strike 2.

During the final boss, he doesn't go for the adds at all. I know you can get away with skipping one set of adds, but it never hurts to get the basics down. I simply say "<name>, grab the adds." His response was:

Shut up you ****.
Don't tell me how to play.
I'll play my way.
Boss burn is faster.
Me >> I'm a **** for asking you to do your job? xD
Him >> Your a **** for thinking you know everything. ***** you. *leaves dungeon*
Strike 3.

Really?


My way is the best way. Not his, not yours... mine. You're both ***** Smiley: glare
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#134 Oct 23 2013 at 1:50 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
Catwho wrote:
"Hey I'm not sure if you know this, but..."

"By the way, X ability does this really cool thing, try using it more"


"If you hover your mouse over the ability it gives you some tips about it. Not sure if you noticed that."

Avoid smiley faces. They can be interpreted as sarcasm. I use the " XD " and " :D " ones instead because they're less likely to trip someone's sarcasm-o-meter when giving constructive criticism.


I've tried this so many times and it has backfired on me just as many! Any other tips you can provide? I think, in groups, I am pretty vocal and people perceive this as 'know-it-all' but all I really want is the group to succeed. And to do that, being prepared generally helps. Yeah, if you know it already, you can just tune me out but some people just take great offense to even the bolded one.

TheAnf wrote:
You should feel bad for me...I've had to put up with you for the last hour or so. Trust me its not easy. It is a chore.

Yes you are a bully and you are a coward for not just owning it.

Bullying - is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children, people that involves a real or perceived power imbalance.

Do I think the person you berated is still thinking about it...I have no idea but you don't know either. He could have wrote you off as a another DF jackass or he could have quit the game and as you so brilliantly put it..."put the rope around his neck"
you have no idea.

I'll tell you what I have learned...you are a bad player. I think you suck at the game. You may have uber leet skillz boyyzzz but attitude and personality are nil. Where I come from character matters, reputation matters, kindness matters.

So to recap because I'm sure you require everything handed to you easily...
- You are a bad person. Period. Blanket statement. Evidence see all your posts.
- You are what is wrong with the games community in a nutshell
- You are a Coward, I see right through your sh*t.

Anf 1
Sethern79 0

Take your sh*t to the "OF"


No offense (I think you know what this means), but you're kind of acting a bit hypocritical here.

Yes, the person you are quoting is admittedly an @#%^ at times. Everyone is guilty of this. We've had a bad day, we come home to play a game, and are presented with more frustration. It can make some people snap.

But you berate/mock him and call him a bad person when you do not even know him in real life. How are you any better by your own logic?

I think you both need to step away for a while and think about why you play video games with other people. It certainly isn't so you can come on the forums and ***** at each other..or so I would hope.




You know what? Sometimes, to get a player to do better, you do need to call them out and put them on the spot. They have two options: deny they need to improve or seek advice/information from the person who called them out or other sources. No need to ridicule them but how do you nicely tell someone, "Well, dear, you just suck so if you could get better that'd be great."? It isn't really possible without the other person becoming offended.

This type of attitude shouldn't ever be displayed outside of content that doesn't require a specific player to perform a specific role to ensure group success. Yes, dungeons fall into this category but all of the dungeons up till 50 really just teach you how to play with others and teach you about general mechanics. Therefore, you need to take this into account and give people a few tries + some 'friendly' advice before you let the bile flow.

If it's my 12th wipe on WP where the tank has tried every single time to 'speed run' his way through the dungeon when the other players (including myself) do not have the gear for it, then I am going to not only call out the tank on his inefficient use of the party's time but also tell him he should know better/know the party's limitations/observe the obvious trend.

I actually was healing WP earlier today with a tank. We didn't wipe but the tank acted like a complete douchebag. After we had killed maybe 3~4 packs, he left mid pull.

While I won't berate people off the bat unless they have insulted another party member for no reason whatsoever, I do see the need to critique a player who continually causes failure.

Edited, Oct 23rd 2013 3:56am by HitomeOfBismarck
#135 Oct 23 2013 at 2:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
**
322 posts
Ive only run into a few so called princesses, guess I have been lucky, and have only been yelled at a few times. Some admitidly my fault, as in I always seem to have issues in AK, at the wall so I learned, and since I do not like the dungeon to much I hardly run it unless with FC members. Usally I get yelled at cause either a: I ask dps to try and dodge aoe, and they snap, or b: ask to slow down and not pull 10 mobs at once, because whats zn extra 2-3, minover a wipe. If people would just relax and not be so overly rushed to be first to get something it would really be nice. Also to the DF speed runners that are full DL and relic +1, dont ***** because someone in the group is new, or doesnt have the same gear, your in a starter lv 50 dungeon so you are obviously not there for any challenge other than farming. Yes I kbow youve run it a billion times and it bexomes mind numbing, but you are choosing to do this, and not everyone is going to progress at youre super rate.
____________________________
Arucard (Retiered)
75 black mage 75 samurai 75 warrior 75 monk
75 Bard 69 Thief 75 White Mage
Formaly of Unicorn
-----------
FFXIV: Ashara Strangelove
Ultros Server
Whm 50, Blm 50, Smn/Sch 50, Drg 50, Pld 50, Brd 50
50 War, Bot 50, Mnr 50, Fsh 50

FC: Syn
#136 Oct 23 2013 at 3:06 AM Rating: Default
*
54 posts
Gnu wrote:
Pawkeshup the Meaningless wrote:
Queen EmmanuellaLima wrote:
I was not trying to troll


[img=245252]

You ***** about this game like you hate it, yet you paid for an account to post here to eliminate ads (meaning that you want to spend time here)... But you're not trolling. Oh, and you're stunned by the fact that people don't greet you with welcome arms when you compare the game to FFXI... but yet that's how you post. I don't think it's you comparing the game. I think it's you. You need to realize that your posts are virtual garbage, useless whining, utter wastes of digital space. That's more why you are receiving a backlash.


Woah a new Troll has joined us while I was away. Hi there! Your post is super amusing. :D

Start out the post with, "I was not trying to troll."

Then you immediately post a video that only a true troll has in their video library. "Oh, no you didn't!" Snap a Z girl. Bam!

The post then takes a nose dive, starting out with, "You ***** about.... blah blah blah - TLDR".

Anyway, thanks for joining in here. We were getting light on trolls and it's always more fun when someone is spewing hateful nonsense that you have to dodge.

AHHHHHH! Watch out for the AoE nonsense - Don't stand in the red circle of gibberish!

So ya, you just started my Monday off with a big laugh. Thanks so much! :)


I wondered myself how did she get that video or did she make it herself.
____________________________
Emmanuella Lima
#137Queen EmmanuellaLima, Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 3:17 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Everyone else is saying its WoW and completely copied WoW. When FF11 was out before wow and it copied things from tons of games. AI system is copied from Tera even the mob return. The gear and endgame and other things are copied from DC Universe Online. Which anyone that played it knew it was a bad idea. People rely on the gear for endgame and not learning how to do the endgame. You can need 30 rated armor to get into a raid on DC. The players want others with 85 rated armor for a raid they have no reason to do. They turning to game into DC from most of DC players being the jackasses your meeting at endgame and leaving. They do the same thing in DC and it they rise the level to 75 in this game. They will still want a level 75 full team to do a 50 raid. FF was known for skill and learning to get better. Is why so many people like it, you could have best gear and be ******.
#138Queen EmmanuellaLima, Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 3:20 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Did you see how good the new one looks. I am going straight to that when it comes out. I already paid 6 months in advance on this game so not worried about losing sub. I bet you a WoW 2 comes out because WoW copied everquest.
#139 Oct 23 2013 at 3:30 AM Rating: Default
*
54 posts
TheAnf wrote:
Sethern79 wrote:
Call me a "Princess" all you want! If you are in a dungeon level 30 or higher and you still don't know your job GTFO. I am not here to teach you how to play the game. As a WHM I can just drop the group and get a better one. If you are spanking my sleep targets, pulling hate over and over, not keeping hate, NOT USING YOUR GD COOL DOWNS (tanks I am looking at you), Or just plain disrupting the group I am going to say something and there is a good chance I will drop the party if I need to!

I was in a group today that did all the above at once. The 2 dps thought they where off tanks and smacked all of my sleep targets. The tank could only keep hate on one target at a time and had no GD idea what a cool down was. then to top it off I explain a boss fight to them letting them know I will be sleeping the boss when the add spawns and the **** tank stays on the boss for the full fight stopping me from casting sleep on it and forcing me to heal the dps who where off tanking the add. The add dies with me at 1/3 mana shortly after one of our dps dies from a cone aoe attack and starts asking for a rez wile the tank was getting his *** handed to him because he did not use any cool downs at all ever! I run out of mana after heal tanking the boss when the tank went down and we all die!

I am sorry but if dropping that group with a "You are all bad bad bad players!" Makes me a "princess" I will gladly take that title!


Not sure about Princess but for sure something starting with an a and ending with a hole. It doesn't matter how bad a party is dropping saying "you are all bad bad bad players!" then you're not a Princess you're a ****. Even if someone sucks something fierce in the game you have zero right say jack all to them. What gives you the right? Were you perfect your first job to 50 on your first MMO? How do you know the person in your party wasn't 15 years old and just trying out the game for the first time...FFS you can be 50 in a week or two in this game without trying at all if your not familiar with MMO's things like pull management, party dynamics, hate management etc etc etc are VERY VERY VERY new to you. The player in question could be someone who has played solo games forever and like this thread has suggested the 4 previous dungeons can be done without much effort this could be his/her first real challenge in game.

You want to play with people as uber awesome skilled as you join a Free company and party with people you know...don't expect Duty finder to always put you in an elite group. To me Duty finder is the equilvalent of accepting a blind invite in FFXI...sure it could work out but chances are you getting stuck with a whm with no subjob and 5 DD's...

Not everyone is an MMO expert regardless of the job they choose...I remember in FFXI there was a WHM/THF on my server named Anna...she refused to switch subjobs and there were posts, flames and name calling all over the place this board included for years. I was told later that Anna was at 14 year old girl who just wanted to play a game. Now I never flamed her I never encountered her ingame (aside from passing her in town) I have a niece that is 14 and is sort of into Rift and I would tear a new one to anyone who made her worthless because she attacked a spelt pixel mob in a dungeon. There is no death pen in game, gil is easy to get so the only lost thing is time...which if it was a DF PUG it's not the "bad" players fault its your's for joining a PUG if youre not willing to deal with fresho's



I feel people should never call someone a noob or bad player if they are not willing to teach them. That’s one thing I do not like about this game. Duty Finder is putting people together from all different servers. You’re not able to take the person out and show them what they can do. I try to tell them in dungeons but its better outside in battle showing them while in the same role. People got to realize a pug you do not know the persons play style. Thats another reason I keep myself to back up heal and other things in pugs.
____________________________
Emmanuella Lima
#140 Oct 23 2013 at 6:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
You could have just made one mega reply.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#141 Oct 23 2013 at 8:56 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,449 posts
Queen EmmanuellaLima wrote:
Everyone else is saying its WoW and completely copied WoW. When FF11 was out before wow and it copied things from tons of games. AI system is copied from Tera even the mob return. The gear and endgame and other things are copied from DC Universe Online. Which anyone that played it knew it was a bad idea. People rely on the gear for endgame and not learning how to do the endgame. You can need 30 rated armor to get into a raid on DC. The players want others with 85 rated armor for a raid they have no reason to do. They turning to game into DC from most of DC players being the jackasses your meeting at endgame and leaving. They do the same thing in DC and it they rise the level to 75 in this game. They will still want a level 75 full team to do a 50 raid. FF was known for skill and learning to get better. Is why so many people like it, you could have best gear and be sh*tty.


I'm not seeing nearly as many comparisons to WoW as I am to FFXI. Maybe on other forums, but I only read this one.

As to your other points.... I'm not sure what you mean about mob AI being copied from Tera. You seem to be talking specifically about mob leashing, which has been going on far longer than Tera has been around. Actually WoW was the first time I saw that behavior (because of the zoneless world structure).

I never played DCUO, but I'll tell you that the endgame in FFXI most closely resembles very early WoW and Rift.

People being douchebags to each other is timeless.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#142 Oct 23 2013 at 11:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I just wanted to toss in that "stealing" good ideas from other games is actually the proper thing to do. Not just games, but any software development project. Or any project.

It's called using "best practices" and "research" and it's only when a company isn't borrowing the ideas that work from others and just kind of throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks that we end up with train wrecks like 1.0.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#143 Oct 23 2013 at 12:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Catwho wrote:
I just wanted to toss in that "stealing" good ideas from other games is actually the proper thing to do. Not just games, but any software development project. Or any project.


eh, it is and it isn't. "stealing" good ideas without any innovation is the recipe for a large chunk of crap games on the market. Also, 1.0's primary issues were backend stuff and poor implementation. Some of the core concepts had promise, and in fact were used with superior implementation by other more successful games. (for instance the lack of auto-attack, which was seen as some kind of heresy in xiv, but was just fine in swtor)

I just think its dangerous to focus too much on looking to other games because then everyone is just passing around the same tried and true and tired ideas.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#144 Oct 23 2013 at 1:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Llester wrote:
Catwho wrote:
I just wanted to toss in that "stealing" good ideas from other games is actually the proper thing to do. Not just games, but any software development project. Or any project.


eh, it is and it isn't. "stealing" good ideas without any innovation is the recipe for a large chunk of crap games on the market. Also, 1.0's primary issues were backend stuff and poor implementation. Some of the core concepts had promise, and in fact were used with superior implementation by other more successful games. (for instance the lack of auto-attack, which was seen as some kind of heresy in xiv, but was just fine in swtor)

I just think its dangerous to focus too much on looking to other games because then everyone is just passing around the same tried and true and tired ideas.


I have to agree with Catwho. I don't know if you ever saw 1.0, but it was literally created in a vacuum with no research into any existing MMO, other than their awareness of FFXI and a mandate to "not be like it," and it almost ruined SE when it turned out to be the completely disaster it was doomed to be.

If you were to make any other type of product, you absolutely have to know and consider what your potential customers are already using. That's where innovation that matters comes from. Sure, FFXIV borrows a lot of ideas, but most of them are simply baseline features you'd come to expect in any modern MMO. If you can't even start with the basics, you can't make an innovative game anyone would care about.

We're just at the beginning of the adventure. As time progresses, we'll start to see more innovation with new expansions and the activities that go with them. As it is, I think FFXIV is off to an excellent start (well, restart).
#145 Oct 23 2013 at 1:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
I'm saying that going too far the other way is just as bad as what tanaka did. and also saying that not all of 1.0 was sh*t, despite the popular attitude to the contrary. I'm sure i'll have to agree to disagree with a lot of people there.


i also think that many of the baseline features of the modern mmo should be tossed into the trash, but that's a whole other conversation. Similarly, i disagree about needing baseline this and that before innovation, but again, other conversation.

ARR is imo one of the better examples of the modern mmo anyway, and sure, I expect we'll see more good stuff further down the line. I don't expect that much innovation, but i'm fine with that in this case.



Edited, Oct 23rd 2013 4:07pm by Llester
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#146 Oct 23 2013 at 3:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Well, the few 1.0 ideas that weren't sh*t were carried over into 2.0. If they get borrowed by a future game, they'll be considered possible best practices, too.

(The "your weapon determines your class" and "crafting classes are considered full classes in their own right" are two ideas from 1.0 that were good enough to stick around. Oh, and "leve monsters are your own person monsters for some quests" was another one.)

Edited, Oct 23rd 2013 5:01pm by Catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#147 Oct 23 2013 at 3:07 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,449 posts
Quote:
"crafting classes are considered full classes in their own right"


I wish they'd done more with this actually. This one has a lot of potential to be awesome... maybe someday.

I also like the claim system in this game.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#148 Oct 23 2013 at 3:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
"crafting classes are considered full classes in their own right"


I wish they'd done more with this actually. This one has a lot of potential to be awesome... maybe someday.
.



yeah they actually toned that one down since 1.0 . Good luck getting market boards access without a DoW/DoM in 2.0....




____________________________
monk
dragoon

#149 Oct 23 2013 at 3:54 PM Rating: Excellent
**
576 posts
Llester wrote:

yeah they actually toned that one down since 1.0 . Good luck getting market boards access without a DoW/DoM in 2.0....


Or access to leve quests that start in outposts...
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#150 Oct 23 2013 at 4:41 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,497 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Ironically, after getting a replacement, I'd say about 90% of my parties succeed where the guy who dropped was dead wrong.


I'm willing to bet they did in fact beat it eventually. However at what point do my concerns not matter and their's is more important? You can't just pretend that my time should be donated to them so that they may improve. Is it wrong to want to complete the dungeon with a better group because it would be more enjoyable and faster? This is my point. Sure, some people are total ***** and they shouldn't act like that but their underlying reason isn't wrong. People who play this game don't play it in a vacuum. People have reasons to want to complete content more quickly or leave poor groups. I get maybe 3 hours after work to play and I'm not spending a third of that time on a group I don't enjoy being a part of. Other tanks may have completely different reasons. You can't use a blanket statement like some child and see it as a simple black and white.

If you think I'm being overly complicated you're wrong. This complexity is why this is an issue in every single MMO that has a privileged role. What everyone calls a princess tank or someone selfish isn't as selfish as you think.
#151 Oct 23 2013 at 7:38 PM Rating: Excellent
*
149 posts
What I've learned from this thread:

That "brake" and "break" have reached the same status as "they're, their, and there," with "you're, your" and "weather, whether."

Aaaaaand...that's about it.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 70 All times are in CST
Callinon, Larth, lolgaxe, Thayos, Xsarus, Anonymous Guests (65)