Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Catch 22 GamingFollow

#52 Oct 22 2013 at 12:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Nainz wrote:
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
Llester wrote:
what happened, zam? what happened?

Generation Me.

We just think it's a new generation, when honestly, our parents thought the same of us...and their parents thought the same of them, etc. It'll just keep going, and going. New problem? Has to be the way these kids were raised!

Yes every generation thinks the generations following them are worse than when they were growing up, but until the last 20-30 years parents weren't handing out participation trophies & hammering the idea that "it's your world & everyone else is just living in it" into their kid's heads, turning them into lifelong narcissistic monsters.


Do you know how much participation crap I have from the early 80's for hockey and school? ****, even my parents have stuff from the 50s, 60s and 70s. It's been going on forever. Every generation has spoiled brats, honest folk, generous people. As you get older you mature and your perception changes and you fail to realize you were a giant douche bag from the ages of 12-25 (mileage may vary.)
____________________________

#53 Oct 22 2013 at 12:09 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,232 posts
Pretty sure I've been awesome the whole time :P
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#54 Oct 22 2013 at 12:15 PM Rating: Good
**
326 posts
“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”


― Socrates
#55 Oct 22 2013 at 12:18 PM Rating: Excellent
The big change isn't this being "Generation Me."

The big change is this being "Generation Now."

It's not just young people who are guilty of this, though. In fact, it's the fault of us older folks who should be setting the example. Adult consumers are empowering the cell phone companies, tablet producers, etc., to convince us that we're really SO IMPORTANT that we need to be wired to the Internet at all times. With call waiting. And instant messaging. And Skype. And Twitter...

Because, heaven forbid, you have to wait until you're home before you can call someone back.

This "now, now, now" mentality is bleeding into so many aspects of our lives. Selfishness has always been a problem, but the "now, now, now" problem -- and the fact that we're all joined by the Internet -- just makes it way worse.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#56 Oct 22 2013 at 12:22 PM Rating: Good
*
197 posts
When I ran CM and Praetorium I just skipped all the cut scenes, mainly because I just wanted to get through it and I can watch them later. Even the ending I just skipped though. I do think it was pretty poor design on their part to have all of those cut scenes in end game dungeons like that.
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#57 Oct 22 2013 at 12:24 PM Rating: Excellent
**
326 posts
Jeskradha wrote:
When I ran CM and Praetorium I just skipped all the cut scenes, mainly because I just wanted to get through it and I can watch them later. Even the ending I just skipped though. I do think it was pretty poor design on their part to have all of those cut scenes in end game dungeons like that.

Its a FF game and I expect the CS. I think the mistake was to hand out considerable farmable rewards in storyline dungeons.

Edited, Oct 22nd 2013 2:24pm by Yelta
#58 Oct 22 2013 at 12:26 PM Rating: Good
*
197 posts
Yelta wrote:
Jeskradha wrote:
When I ran CM and Praetorium I just skipped all the cut scenes, mainly because I just wanted to get through it and I can watch them later. Even the ending I just skipped though. I do think it was pretty poor design on their part to have all of those cut scenes in end game dungeons like that.

Its a FF game and I expect the CS. I think the mistake was to hand out considerable farmable rewards in storyline dungeons.

Edited, Oct 22nd 2013 2:24pm by Yelta


While I expect the cut scenes, and I do like them. I agree with you that putting them in farmable dungeons was a mistake.
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#59 Oct 22 2013 at 12:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
Now it seems a little more efficient to do WP than CM or Praetorium so that should alleviate some of the asshattery we've been seeing in those two DFs.

Of course, now if you want to run WP...well, at least there are only two short cutscenes.
#60 Oct 22 2013 at 1:18 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
HitomeOfBismarck wrote:
Now it seems a little more efficient to do WP than CM or Praetorium so that should alleviate some of the asshattery we've been seeing in those two DFs.

Of course, now if you want to run WP...well, at least there are only two short cutscenes.


I have to agree that the changes made as well as the new dungeon coming out next month(Pharos or something like it) should help with this problem. It's very ironic how the very first people to lv50 didn't CM spam, but the people a few weeks behind did. Now CM is going back to the players on the mission which is a good thing. The only reason I preferred CM's was because no matter how terrible the group, we always won. Compared to my groups in WP and AK where people would see someone with less than stellar gear and leave or even wipe once and leave, that was a blessing. Now I'm having better luck doing AK and WP so it's a no brainier for me.

To anyone reading this...
Oh, and my statement about the 30min CS's in CM and PR was a sarcastic response. It's probably like 30sec-2min as someone else pointed out per CS. The sheer number of them are just annoying.
#61 Oct 22 2013 at 2:11 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,720 posts
Quote:
It's very ironic how the very first people to lv50 didn't CM spam, but the people a few weeks behind did.


SE nerfed the ability to speed run AK. It's really not ironic at all that this happened. It was 100% predictable.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#62 Oct 23 2013 at 3:55 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Thayos wrote:
A it really 30 mins of cutscenes?

I can't think of any other part of the game with that many cutscenes.


Nainz wrote:
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
Llester wrote:
what happened, zam? what happened?

Generation Me.

We just think it's a new generation, when honestly, our parents thought the same of us...and their parents thought the same of them, etc. It'll just keep going, and going. New problem? Has to be the way these kids were raised!

Yes every generation thinks the generations following them are worse than when they were growing up, but until the last 20-30 years parents weren't handing out participation trophies & hammering the idea that "it's your world & everyone else is just living in it" into their kid's heads, turning them into lifelong narcissistic monsters.


It was a self entitlement movement started in the 90s by soccer moms.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#63 Oct 23 2013 at 4:14 PM Rating: Excellent
**
598 posts
Wait until the kids of helicopter moms grow up a little bit more.

"Give me that controller, sweetie. We're going to get you that achievement!"
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#64 Oct 23 2013 at 4:22 PM Rating: Excellent
**
326 posts
ShindaUsagi wrote:
Wait until the kids of helicopter moms grow up a little bit more.

"Give me that controller, sweetie. We're going to get you that achievement!"


I'm getting old, I have handed the controller to my kid "Help me jump up there". Smiley: tongue
#65 Oct 23 2013 at 4:39 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Technically, Praetorium is > 30 minutes of cutscenes.

But that's when you include the ending credits, which are at least 45 minutes long...
#66 Oct 23 2013 at 5:17 PM Rating: Good
**
829 posts
I thought everyone was tired of grinding after FFXI and that XIV was supposed to be a more casual and relaxing MMO. I guess that idea went out the window.
____________________________
Tauu Aori
Lalafell
WHM
Sargatanas
#67 Oct 23 2013 at 5:41 PM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
TauuOfSiren wrote:
I thought everyone was tired of grinding after FFXI and that XIV was supposed to be a more casual and relaxing MMO. I guess that idea went out the window.


Whatever do you mean? Grinding is strictly optional. Even if you want to level multiple classes, and you want the benefit of the story XP, it's nothing to create a new character if you want to do it that way. The game has many ways to progress and you're not really bound to any of them save for a few main story quests to unlock certain functions and areas.

And if you're like me, you'll just wait till 2.1 to get in a week all the endgame gear people are taking months to get now, like a shamelessly casual player should. Smiley: cool

There's nothing that requires grinding that a little patience won't net in the long run as far as I can tell, unless you want to participate in the moneyed economy, and even that is purely optional if you want nothing to do with it. The lack of pressure is quite enjoyable. I can play whenever I feel like and not feel as though I'm missing out. But at the same time, the grind is there if you want it. So everyone wins.
#68 Oct 23 2013 at 6:03 PM Rating: Decent
**
829 posts
Xoie wrote:
TauuOfSiren wrote:
I thought everyone was tired of grinding after FFXI and that XIV was supposed to be a more casual and relaxing MMO. I guess that idea went out the window.


Whatever do you mean? Grinding is strictly optional. Even if you want to level multiple classes, and you want the benefit of the story XP, it's nothing to create a new character if you want to do it that way. The game has many ways to progress and you're not really bound to any of them save for a few main story quests to unlock certain functions and areas.

And if you're like me, you'll just wait till 2.1 to get in a week all the endgame gear people are taking months to get now, like a shamelessly casual player should. Smiley: cool

There's nothing that requires grinding that a little patience won't net in the long run as far as I can tell, unless you want to participate in the moneyed economy, and even that is purely optional if you want nothing to do with it. The lack of pressure is quite enjoyable. I can play whenever I feel like and not feel as though I'm missing out. But at the same time, the grind is there if you want it. So everyone wins.

As a casual player I find myself being left in the dust and unable to do anything with LS/FC mates. I hope you're right about 2.1 offering an opportunity to catch up.
____________________________
Tauu Aori
Lalafell
WHM
Sargatanas
#69 Oct 23 2013 at 6:03 PM Rating: Decent
**
829 posts
Xoie wrote:
TauuOfSiren wrote:
I thought everyone was tired of grinding after FFXI and that XIV was supposed to be a more casual and relaxing MMO. I guess that idea went out the window.


Whatever do you mean? Grinding is strictly optional. Even if you want to level multiple classes, and you want the benefit of the story XP, it's nothing to create a new character if you want to do it that way. The game has many ways to progress and you're not really bound to any of them save for a few main story quests to unlock certain functions and areas.

And if you're like me, you'll just wait till 2.1 to get in a week all the endgame gear people are taking months to get now, like a shamelessly casual player should. Smiley: cool

There's nothing that requires grinding that a little patience won't net in the long run as far as I can tell, unless you want to participate in the moneyed economy, and even that is purely optional if you want nothing to do with it. The lack of pressure is quite enjoyable. I can play whenever I feel like and not feel as though I'm missing out. But at the same time, the grind is there if you want it. So everyone wins.

As a casual player I find myself being left in the dust and unable to do anything with LS/FC mates. I hope you're right about 2.1 offering an opportunity to catch up.
____________________________
Tauu Aori
Lalafell
WHM
Sargatanas
#70 Oct 23 2013 at 8:36 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,147 posts
Don't think you'll ever catch up, really. Get closer, maybe, but never catch up. Restrictions like weekly tome limits or BC access basically see to imposing artificial limits on progress. And sure, SE could tweak item costs or dole out more tomes, but by the time that happens, I'd expect newer gear for the hardcores to be chasing, too.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#71 Oct 23 2013 at 8:43 PM Rating: Good
**
336 posts
I can't even get non-DF parties on Ultros anymore. Everyone shouting is only for full DL/Relic.
Just a week or so before there was all kinds of activity, now it's only the elite that can play. What happened to all the people still building gear? I don't even get a chance to cap my Tomes unless I devote hours (that I don't have) to waiting for DF, during which you can't party, have chocobo, or do Leves.
#72 Oct 24 2013 at 7:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Westyle wrote:
I can't even get non-DF parties on Ultros anymore. Everyone shouting is only for full DL/Relic.
Just a week or so before there was all kinds of activity, now it's only the elite that can play. What happened to all the people still building gear? I don't even get a chance to cap my Tomes unless I devote hours (that I don't have) to waiting for DF, during which you can't party, have chocobo, or do Leves.


SE put out a graphic just about a week ago that showed level 45-49 to technically be the lowest population of individuals on each collective server. Even still I hardly see people in AF gear anymore. A majority of those who have bought the game in the first month are now at some form of endgame. Id say at this point it is moving in a bell curve progression, where about 10% of players have 2 or 3 allagan pieces, AF2 armor, and relic +1, and 10% of the players are just starting out, just receiving the chocobo. The remainder of the 80% are somewhere in between, but the midpoint now appears to be people in mor dhona shouting for chimera and hydra.

____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#73 Oct 24 2013 at 10:22 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
36 posts
Yup, I am part of the new crowd. My Conj is 30 and did the white mage quest, Got my chocobo for battle and I am working on my tank now and gathering. I only play about 2.5 hours a day and I am in no hurry to get to the end game.
#74 Oct 24 2013 at 4:38 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,174 posts
Westyle wrote:
I can't even get non-DF parties on Ultros anymore. Everyone shouting is only for full DL/Relic.
Just a week or so before there was all kinds of activity, now it's only the elite that can play. What happened to all the people still building gear? I don't even get a chance to cap my Tomes unless I devote hours (that I don't have) to waiting for DF, during which you can't party, have chocobo, or do Leves.


This sort of trend is present in almost any game. It's only slightly different than people requiring you to have a delve weapon to farm for, you guessed it... a delve weapon in FFXI. It's no different than players in WoW requiring you to have a certain ilvl to participate in PUGs. It's also the reason that DF content will require you to have a certain ilvl to participate in the future.

I enjoyed FFXI, but was a little disappointed that there was no progression element. There was almost never any time in my decade long span of playing that game where I felt like I had reached a milestone that allowed me to participate in content that I couldn't prior. Don't get me wrong, I worked hard to get my relics and felt like they were an achievement, but I never thought to myself "I couldn't be doing this event if I didn't have my Spharai". RMT were clearing almost everything I was in garbage gear.


There's a thin line here. I don't think it's fair to call people elitist because they have standards for groups they form. If I am taking my time to assemble a group then I think it's fair that group be up to my standard.

DF is completely different. By signing up for a random group you're pretty much submitting yourself to a higher risk. The trade off is that it takes no organization on the part of any of the members to get started. If SE implements a 'vote to kick' feature and it is being abused to kick people from DF groups where their gear is already accounted for; then we have a problem.

Edited, Oct 24th 2013 6:40pm by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#75 Oct 24 2013 at 4:48 PM Rating: Decent
Ya, you essentially need to gear one job, and use that job to gear your others until they're fully geared. I hate the whole gear requirement shouts, but for some, shaving off 10-15 mins off each run is well worth it. That being said I've seen fully geared morons who slow you down more than AF people.

Just stick to the DF, deck out that one job then join shouts or a good FC. Actual good players, fully geared take things down like Demon Wall before the bees even spawn, so factor in how quick lesser mobs go down, it's a huge time saver. Other option is to find a like minded FC.
____________________________

#76 Oct 24 2013 at 4:56 PM Rating: Excellent
**
326 posts
Part of me wants to start a LS just for slower more laidback runs. Where we can pop the chests for people who need the items and kill all the mobs for spiritbinding.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)