Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Braflox LongstopFollow

#52 Oct 24 2013 at 3:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
44 posts
mbgalpmd wrote:
However, DDs seem to attack things at random and everyone seems to take offence when I politely ask them to stop waking stuff. I once had a tank respond 'But I can cope with it', to which I replied, 'Yeah, but its mainly to make my life easier'. Poof - gone, rage quit over that, before the 2nd boss too! I started refusing to heal DDs that woke sleeping mobs, thinking it might help them learn to focus on the correct target, sadly, it doesn't seem to work and just makes the whole thing longer, so I've stopped.

All about the marketing. Instead of saying it's to make your job easier - because really, it's as easy to spam Cure as it is to spam Stone - tell them it makes the run faster when you are DPSing instead of healing. Tank and healer can do around 75% of the DPS than an actual damage dealer does (100%+ for a SCH when damage dealers aren't AoEing) so the difference between you casting heals or casting damage spells is about a 25% increase in total group DPS, which means a 20% reduction in time spent clearing trash.
____________________________
Cross-Class Skill Sheet
Kawaii rate me down
#53 Oct 24 2013 at 4:10 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
Avatar
**
448 posts
cartec wrote:

All about the marketing. Instead of saying it's to make your job easier - because really, it's as easy to spam Cure as it is to spam Stone - tell them it makes the run faster when you are DPSing instead of healing. Tank and healer can do around 75% of the DPS than an actual damage dealer does (100%+ for a SCH when damage dealers aren't AoEing) so the difference between you casting heals or casting damage spells is about a 25% increase in total group DPS, which means a 20% reduction in time spent clearing trash.


While I fully understand your point, I see the extrapolation of this view as the very poison that has DoT'd all MMOs. It is all about speeding everything up to get to some arbitrary finish line that doesn't/shouldn't exist in an MMO. Console single player games, yeah... I can see that. But when we start boiling everything down to the quickest way to get finished, and then in the same breath scream that the game has no end game and no longevity because we the players have figured out how to sidestep or distill the content down to the fastest avenue possible to get to this mythical trophy of level cap/end game... well that is just foolish.

Very few players now actually take a look around at the environments and the subtle mechanics of dungeons and appreciate them for just being there. We see them as obstacles to overcome as fast as possible and when this is not achieved in a manner we come to expect, from other games or a prior run(s), we turn on each other because we see this as wasting our time. Yes, you may have run it many times before and already know some routines, but never stop and think about the party you are doing it with and what their experience is with it (speaking for DF parties since you can do these with a set of friends however you wish). So low and behold, we have a time out measure in place with weekly caps placed on rewards and we cry about that because it impedes us from 'finishing' our goal, to win the game - though that cannot really be reached in an MMO, so we made up one by having BiS and this notion of farm status for high level content (meaning we have boiled the content down to the fastest way to finish the run) - and that is what we cry about not being able to reach fast enough. But then what? What happens after you wring out all the runs and get all the stuff?

It really does pay off in the end to find a niche group of like-minded people and stick with them because the rest of the community will eventually cannibalize itself until the next game comes out with a level curve to be flattened.
____________________________
"We're getting close, real close. And now for some more bad news... Ready?"
-- Egg Shen
#54 Oct 24 2013 at 7:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
197 posts
dustinfoley wrote:
Ethers arent needed as a whm. I have done this dungeon 40+ times as a pld and 10+ times as a whm. It is 999% about the tank having gear and being able to duck, dodge, dive, and dodge. I can tell you that with a full suit of gear from this dungeon, your tank will be so easy to heal that your average WHM will be at 50%+ mp by the end of the fight.

Edited, Oct 24th 2013 8:37am by dustinfoley

You forgot the dip. NEVER forget the dip!
#55 Oct 24 2013 at 8:26 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Did it again with two DPS friends from my FC on Lamia, and a pickup tank in Duty Finder. The tank this time was a veteran who was going after the last pieces of gear - and he got his pants and body on our run, so I think he's done with the dungeon now.

What a HUGE difference it made to have a PLD who actually could take 3-4 hits from the pull and not drop under 1K hit points. I never even dropped below 200 MP under any bosses including the last one, so you're right, I didn't need ethers.

I feel vindicated now. It wasn't me!
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#56 Oct 24 2013 at 11:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
556 posts
ShindaUsagi wrote:
Droxy wrote:
Wint wrote:
I did the same. I still say the Battlemage Hat, Feet, and Legs are a myth Smiley: bah


Wrong! I have the full battlemage set on my WHM, but I am convinced that the infantry body and feet are a myth!
:-)


WFOAssassin wrote:
Wint wrote:
I did the same. I still say the Battlemage Hat, Feet, and Legs are a myth Smiley: bah



Had the hat drop in the final boss treasure chest.


Managed to attain the shirt, belt and hat.

Legs? Never seen it drop.

Not sure but may of even got my lancer ring inside there.


Today I farmed Brayflox's for full set. I'm 4/6. First run didn't get anything, second run I got Hat, third run nothing. Now the fourth run well i totally lucked out! I was in a party as WHM with a two BRDs. Belt, hands and legs all dropped for me! Legs dropped from last boss!! All I need now is feet and body!!
____________________________
Jayy Submor-Hyperion-Slash Flex
#57 Oct 25 2013 at 1:48 PM Rating: Decent
*****
12,622 posts
It's a skill check dungeon, not a gear-check.. Except for the tank, to some degree. Sunken Shrine, on the other hand, is a gear check.

Rule of thumb: If people are calling it a gear-check, it may very well be that they are lacking the skill to beat it and just don't know it.

Edited, Oct 25th 2013 3:49pm by Lefein
____________________________
Blah
#58 Oct 25 2013 at 2:21 PM Rating: Excellent
****
5,745 posts
Lefein wrote:
It's a skill check dungeon, not a gear-check.. Except for the tank, to some degree. Sunken Shrine, on the other hand, is a gear check.

Rule of thumb: If people are calling it a gear-check, it may very well be that they are lacking the skill to beat it and just don't know it.

Edited, Oct 25th 2013 3:49pm by Lefein

I would consider Sunken Shrine to be a skill check, which causes me to find your post to be quite humorous!
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 81 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (81)