Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Hate to Say This, But...Follow

#52 Oct 28 2013 at 11:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Dual wield shields!
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#53 Oct 28 2013 at 11:37 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
181 posts
KojiroSoma wrote:
For my titan i was tanking, so my weapon (D37 Guild sword by the way) was pretty irrelevant as long as i simply stayed light on my feet and spammed my enmity moves.

I can understand the aspect of needing a specific weapon for a DPS class so you can do enough damage during the course of a battle not to time out on a heart or on spikes or whatever needs to be killed during a brief span of time, but for a healer or a tank, such a thing is rediculous.

Do people even know what they're talking about or what they're requesting? As a mediocre tank, you'd have what? 300 attack? while a damage dealer easily has 400-450 before their abilities kick in too?

Every 7.4 points of STR equal a 1 damage increase in your base weapon damage. So you'd basicly be willing to kick a tank, or replace one, with all the defense and hp needed for the fight just because of 8 STR? Attack power is mostly irrelevant for a tank if they can keep hate. They really wont be contributing towards the damage aspect of the fight anyhow. And if Relic+1 people are unloading on something, believe me, 2-3 points of weapon damage for a tank wont mean anything. If hate gets torn off a tank with a D37 weapon, it's going to get torn off him with a D39, D41 or even D43 weapon. It's more of an ability timing thing.


The extra damage from the tank and does help hold hate and makes fight go faster. And the main thing when I'm on my relic drg and the tank is a relic as well I can go all out start to finish when the tank is non relic I have to hold off to let the task build hate so we don't have the mob waking around everywhere. There is a big difference


Rinsui wrote:
If there was no iLV 50+ gear, people would eventually learn to play good enough to beat both WP and AK without.
It's sad when people start to believe they can only beat a challenge once they have accumulated enough gear to make the challenge irrelevant.


I don't think it's a thing about not being able to beat it but the time it takes to beat it, for a af geared party you can easily spend up to a hour plus in ak and for some people that's just unacceptable.
#54 Oct 28 2013 at 11:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
for a af geared party you can easily spend up to a hour plus in ak and for some people that's just unacceptable.


"Unacceptable" is a funny word when used in this context.

People who want speed runs shouldn't use the DF. They should get a group of other people, do their little gear checks and then do their speed runs. This way, they also don't have to throw hissy fits when the DF groups them with first-timers.

It all comes down to being a prick vs. not being a prick. You can make an unpopular decision without being a prick about it.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#55 Oct 28 2013 at 11:46 AM Rating: Good
**
820 posts
Totally agree with everything said! But honestly it doesn't matter much because the servers are kinda bare (Asura has 1k at peak times otherwise it sits at 8-900). But thank you for clearing up my vision of endgame. Because honestly it looks like fun and not completely demanding as XI was.
#56 Oct 28 2013 at 11:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
595 posts
Catwho wrote:
Dual wield shields!

Shouldn't it just be "Dual Shield"
#57 Oct 28 2013 at 11:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
181 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
for a af geared party you can easily spend up to a hour plus in ak and for some people that's just unacceptable.


"Unacceptable" is a funny word when used in this context.

People who want speed runs shouldn't use the DF. They should get a group of other people, do their little gear checks and then do their speed runs. This way, they also don't have to throw hissy fits when the DF groups them with first-timers.

It all comes down to being a prick vs. not being a prick. You can make an unpopular decision without being a prick about it.


I'm not taking about using DF I'm talking about shout pt and people getting mad due to not getting invited to a party or being kicked from a party due to not having relic. I have started pairs for relic only out speed runs person sends me tell for invite, I invite him and turns out they have dl gear but no relic and get mad I kick them. And the reason I kick them or refuse to do runs with af people is the fact that 1 hour for a run is unacceptable to me. Another reason I do shot parties and not DF
#58 Oct 28 2013 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
***
2,214 posts
Catwho wrote:
Dual wield shields!

I don't remember the guy who has them in game... BUT I WANTS!!! They have like Rocket-Launchers on them!
#59 Oct 28 2013 at 12:39 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Thayos wrote:


I guess MMOs just attract more douchebags these days.

I was thinking, perhaps I should state a DB disclaimer at the start of each run. Like, if anyone acts like a DB toward anyone, then I'm out. Seriously, I would rather not play for 15 minutes than provide my tanking support for a DB.


Not really. The problem is very simply this, on for instance FFXI if you were a douchebag you got a bad reputation and nobody would invite you which lead to the "bad eggs" being forced to quit more or less. On FFXIV the server matches you no matter how horrible you are, there is no punishment for being horrible. The fact that endgame is a pretty horrible grind right now doesn't help make people more forgiving either.

As I said, this matching system is mostly for people that have problems making runs from their friends list or whatever. When you run with those kinds of people you are going to get anti-social types.

The ease with which they spoonfeed you the endgame is the reason for the bad community. You can't have it both ways and I'm amazed you think you can.
____________________________
BANNED
#60 Oct 28 2013 at 12:44 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
this discussion is still a thing that happens?
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#61 Oct 28 2013 at 12:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,078 posts
Mithsavvy wrote:
<Garuda Horror Story>

Wouldn't let it get to you, really. In trying to help a few FC-mates out with their relic progression picking up PUGs, we've had a few stinkers where it's inevitably fallen down to two things. The first is insufficient DPS to handle both adds before they Shriek. The second is the off-tank failing to position the red clone away from the green to prevent the DPS and healers from getting double-whammied by AoEs. Spells get interrupted by this, heals don't keep up, healers go down, everyone else goes down. This problem personally irks me more than insufficient DPS as one shriek is at least survivable, it otherwise just means a longer fight. In the end, I don't mind playing with undergeared people so much as long as they understand strategy. Me and other over-geared folk can help pick up the slack. And even if we don't win, then hopefully they can carry that knowledge into their next attempt. I know I have no inclination to flip tables until some pulls the DB card.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#62preludes, Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 12:48 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Shh, it's funny to see one of the games blindest white knights bashing it. If anyone else had made this topic a month ago he would of argued to the death it was untrue. I'd rate his thread up if I could.
#63 Oct 28 2013 at 1:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Preludes, I have never been a white knight. I have years of precedence over your short-term argument.

But hey, I'll humor you for a moment and say I'm still as white of a knight as ever! I'm just upset by those in the community who are crapping all over an otherwise awesome experience.

And welcome back to the forums! You've been awfully quiet lately.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#64 Oct 28 2013 at 1:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
Thayos wrote:
I think age has a lot to do with it. For a teenager (or even someone in the low 20s), grinding these endgame dungeons really may feel like one of the most important things that person will do each day. However, once you get older and take on real responsibilities, you realize how silly it is to get so worked up over a game.


I might have to sig that, since it pretty much sums up exactly how I feel. The average age of the people in my LS is over 30, with some of us either approaching or over 40. I had some guy be a complete DB to me during the storyline Titan fight because he felt I didn't break him out of the rock fast enough. I was like, "Dude, it's a video game. You're not actually going to die."

rfolkker wrote:
Catwho wrote:
Dual wield shields!

I don't remember the guy who has them in game... BUT I WANTS!!! They have like Rocket-Launchers on them!


Rhitahtyn sas Arvina, known to my LS as Ritalin. I'm not sure about the magitek missiles, but he does have guns built into Tartarus, his shields.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#65 Oct 28 2013 at 1:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
preludes wrote:
Llester wrote:
this discussion is still a thing that happens?


Shh, it's funny to see one of the games blindest white knights bashing it. If anyone else had made this topic a month ago he would of argued to the death it was untrue. I'd rate his thread up if I could.


Criticizing the players of the game is not the same as criticizing the game. Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#66 Oct 28 2013 at 2:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
**
448 posts
I am dillying about leveling all my stuff up to unlock each job and staying away from end game ********** completely. I am up to CM for my story and I just don't want to be bothered, even if it comes at my expense, until some of these idiots get bored and leave because "OMG UNFINISHED ENDGAME!! RAWR~!!"

I leveled and unlocked PLD this weekend and tanked 10 runs of Hali, Toto, and Haukke each and always got a kick out of people who were new - remembering watching those cutscenes for the first time... esp the story scene in Toto. I never once felt a hurry up anything even though I had done it over and over all day. I am not a coach by any means and really don't feel it necessary to tell people how to play their part, but I will go over the mechanics of the fight if someone says they are new. It might fail, but they eventually get it except on those rare occasions when the person in question is completely unresponsive.

I don't really blame WoW or even WoW's community for this vitriolic type player. I blame consoles and the single player mentality. These are also the people who can't get past content without overgearing for content which is why they are the most vocal. Overgearing makes your mistakes less fatal - but being at gear level just means you are **** good at the game.

Once SE puts in the gear level thing for dungeons, I'll venture into the endgame stuff. Until then, I have dragoon, bard, and monk to finish up and take PLD and WHM to 50.
____________________________
"We're getting close, real close. And now for some more bad news... Ready?"
-- Egg Shen
#67 Oct 28 2013 at 3:06 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
161 posts
Thayos wrote:
FFXIV's endgame community really does seem to suck.

I've only done one CM run and one Prae run... not even anything meant for gear beyond level 50... and the amount of impatience, whining and general prickery I've encountered already is SHOCKING.

Finger-pointing, name-calling, forced DCs, people complaining about gear choices... all in two runs.

The sad thing is, most people who play this game are fine. However, if there are enough bad apples to pack so much whiny drama into two randomly chosen runs, then... ****. I've read about this issue on the forums, but, honestly, I thought people were just being overly dramatic!

It really is that bad, isn't it?


Thayos your on the same server as I am my FC runs WP, AK, CM all the time basically all day send me a tell in game if you are having no luck on DF and want to dungeon

#68 Oct 28 2013 at 3:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Thayos your on the same server as I am my FC runs WP, AK, CM all the time basically all day send me a tell in game if you are having no luck on DF and want to dungeon


Actually I'm on Sagatarnus (spelling?) now... no longer on Ultros. Moved to be with old friends from XI.

If you're there, though, I'll definitely hit you up!
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#69 Oct 28 2013 at 3:15 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
JeremyPD55 wrote:

You can Have Full DL or Vanya/Darksteele with relic + 1 if you cant doge a move by Titan then your just as equal as a guy with Ifrit's weapon and 1 DL piece


True! Smiley: grin

I personally like to not die after 1 hit though, but I never liked playing Dark Souls with a naked character either. So I'll gear up so I can take some damage.

But really the only exception to this is on the DD in the event where there is a damage check due to time limits (Demon Wall in AK, the spawns in turn 4 of Bahamut's coil, Caduceus in BC turn 1 after the split (due to stacking buffs), Titan's Heart...). If you cant do enough damage at those points, you will die no matter how good you dodge.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#70 Oct 28 2013 at 3:16 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
Thayos your on the same server as I am my FC runs WP, AK, CM all the time basically all day send me a tell in game if you are having no luck on DF and want to dungeon


Actually I'm on Sagatarnus (spelling?) now... no longer on Ultros. Moved to be with old friends from XI.

If you're there, though, I'll definitely hit you up!


ZAM on Ultros is a lot ... different now
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#71 Oct 28 2013 at 6:24 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
12,824 posts
I left FFXI primarily due to the attitude of the Catch-22 crowd. Yes, I know you can also have other items, but there was a definite contingent both in the Empy weapon and in the current set that wanted you to have the gear that you were trying for when you were trying for it. Plus the general asshats who refuse to allow only but the highest to attend regardless of what they can contribute.

It's why my fiancee and I are taking it easy, enjoying the game as our little duo. We still haven't gone over 30 lol
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#72 Oct 28 2013 at 6:43 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
8,779 posts
Catwho wrote:
Littlechaos wrote:
From what I've read, it's almost like XIs atmosphere where, if you didn't have VW,legion, salvage gear you were gridlocked from doing endgame content, especially neo nyzul. It got worst when delve **** rushed the game. You didn't have a RME weapon, you couldn't do delve. Didn't have a delve weapon or gear? Couldn't do delve(totally contradicting obviously). It makes me weary of doing endgame content even though I just started that game lol


*English interspersed with incoherent words*


Man, FF11 sure has a lot of fun words in it.

No dig against you Cat, it just reminded me of reading some of the military stories friends of mine post;
Quote:

So our XO made it to the POS on the DoB of our BFF when some TAT's QoP'd our DDR. Fortunately, we contacted CSAO for some ASSRAMS in the OPP and everything was TOB.


It all sounds so exciting, but I don't get a single bit of it lol.
____________________________
Quote:
The thing about me is that apparently it's very hard to tell when I'm drunk. So I feel like I'm walking sideways on a UFO and everyone else sees me doing the robot like a pro.
- MojoVIII
i have bathed in the blood of many. my life was spent well.
feral druids do it on all fours.
The One True Prophet of Tonkism.

http://therewillbebrawl.com/
#73 Oct 28 2013 at 7:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
161 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
Thayos your on the same server as I am my FC runs WP, AK, CM all the time basically all day send me a tell in game if you are having no luck on DF and want to dungeon


Actually I'm on Sagatarnus (spelling?) now... no longer on Ultros. Moved to be with old friends from XI.

If you're there, though, I'll definitely hit you up!


Sagatarnus is where I am as well...
#74 Oct 28 2013 at 9:01 PM Rating: Good
Quor wrote:
Catwho wrote:
Littlechaos wrote:
From what I've read, it's almost like XIs atmosphere where, if you didn't have VW,legion, salvage gear you were gridlocked from doing endgame content, especially neo nyzul. It got worst when delve **** rushed the game. You didn't have a RME weapon, you couldn't do delve. Didn't have a delve weapon or gear? Couldn't do delve(totally contradicting obviously). It makes me weary of doing endgame content even though I just started that game lol


*English interspersed with incoherent words*


Man, FF11 sure has a lot of fun words in it.

No dig against you Cat, it just reminded me of reading some of the military stories friends of mine post;
Quote:

So our XO made it to the POS on the DoB of our BFF when some TAT's QoP'd our DDR. Fortunately, we contacted CSAO for some ASSRAMS in the OPP and everything was TOB.


It all sounds so exciting, but I don't get a single bit of it lol.


Relevant
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#75 Oct 28 2013 at 9:45 PM Rating: Excellent
I will hit you up!
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#76 Oct 28 2013 at 10:10 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
Quor wrote:
Catwho wrote:
Littlechaos wrote:
From what I've read, it's almost like XIs atmosphere where, if you didn't have VW,legion, salvage gear you were gridlocked from doing endgame content, especially neo nyzul. It got worst when delve **** rushed the game. You didn't have a RME weapon, you couldn't do delve. Didn't have a delve weapon or gear? Couldn't do delve(totally contradicting obviously). It makes me weary of doing endgame content even though I just started that game lol


*English interspersed with incoherent words*


Man, FF11 sure has a lot of fun words in it.

No dig against you Cat, it just reminded me of reading some of the military stories friends of mine post;
Quote:

So our XO made it to the POS on the DoB of our BFF when some TAT's QoP'd our DDR. Fortunately, we contacted CSAO for some ASSRAMS in the OPP and everything was TOB.


It all sounds so exciting, but I don't get a single bit of it lol.


XIV endgame sounds exactly the same if you're not fifty yet. Darklight armor? Wtf is that? And what are these tomes you speak of? Smiley: lol
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#77 Oct 28 2013 at 10:35 PM Rating: Default
***
2,081 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
so it's been a much more pleasant experience than say the first month of the game.


What SE really needs to implement is an age filter. I want to be able to queue up in the DF and play with other 30-somethings, and not have to have my buzz killed by some repressed, hormonal teenage gamer.




Age filter would be an absolute god send. As a fellow 30+ gamer, I too grow tired of the childish behavior. Sadly, we are a very small demographic, so I doubt any game company is itching to placate our desires.
____________________________


#78 Oct 29 2013 at 12:25 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
34 posts
DrCapricious wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
so it's been a much more pleasant experience than say the first month of the game.


What SE really needs to implement is an age filter. I want to be able to queue up in the DF and play with other 30-somethings, and not have to have my buzz killed by some repressed, hormonal teenage gamer.




Age filter would be an absolute god send. As a fellow 30+ gamer, I too grow tired of the childish behavior. Sadly, we are a very small demographic, so I doubt any game company is itching to placate our desires.


40+ here and my wife 35+ ;-)
#79 Oct 29 2013 at 3:09 AM Rating: Good
Guru
**
617 posts
Ok, this is perhaps a little unrelated, but I want to share it anyway.

So I have this player who is a fresh 50 BLM, just beat the Main Scenario, and he's getting ready to start grinding away at CM for Philo tomes. I suggest to him that he's better off running WP and explain the advantages (less people, easier and faster to run, awards Myth along with Philo, getting iLvl 55 gear to fill in slots while he's waiting on DL, the works), then the FC leader comes in and is all like "wtf are you suggesting to him" and I say "I'm just telling him WP is better to do then crappy CM." She proceeds to tell me that no, he needs DL, and that we're not trying to spend all day farming tomes. I reply that he's gotta start somewhere and that WP is perfectly doable in AF (this is all while I'm running WP myself with 2 other FC mates and a DF PLD). She's starting to ask me how many times have I run WP and what's my gearset. I joke, "I dunno, ask my buddy Mr. Thyrus." Which somehow goes completely over her head. I have to tell her I'm a relic WHM (one week away from relic +1) with full DL, and then she's like "ok well you can start helping him with WP runs," which I don't mind doing at all but it's late and I need to go to bed soon. I wanted to try a run anyway just to prove he'd be fine, but he and the leader had already logged out. I send a tell to my friend wondering wtf was that all about, and she replies that that's the first time she's ever seen the leader like that.

I'm sorry, but this whole "you need the highest gear to do events" (aka must have Delve weapon to farm Delve for us old FFXI farts) can go die in a fire. Just to drive the point home, the PLD we picked up was in nothing higher than AK gear, one of my FC mates was a DRG in full AF with Ifrit's harpoon, the other was a relic BRD but only had 2 pieces of DL, which left me with the full DL+relic, but I'm the WHM, so I don't count depending on how you look at it. We got though WP with no issues at all, save a tiny hiccup at the slime. What shocked me most though is that this took place in my own FC.
#80 Oct 29 2013 at 3:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,653 posts
Quote:
What shocked me most though is that this took place in my own FC.


My scrub-sense is tingling, sounds like your leader has some pretty special ideas. Just do your best to save people from being sent to farm CM ~

____________________________
I tell you, we are here on Earth to **** around, and don’t let anybody tell you different.
#81 Oct 29 2013 at 4:12 AM Rating: Default
42 posts
stop paying attention to chat when playing the game with random players and just play the game instead

or play the game with your friends instead

either of the above options are ALOT more fun then crying on a game forum about chat from random players in a video game =P

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 6:13am by Gopi
#82 Oct 29 2013 at 4:42 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Catwho wrote:
preludes wrote:
Llester wrote:
this discussion is still a thing that happens?


Shh, it's funny to see one of the games blindest white knights bashing it. If anyone else had made this topic a month ago he would of argued to the death it was untrue. I'd rate his thread up if I could.


Criticizing the players of the game is not the same as criticizing the game. Smiley: rolleyes


If someone is looking to buy into an mmo I can assure you that the stinking horrible community is as important as the game itself, especially considering FFXI had one of the best communities in any mmo.

Thayos wrote:
And welcome back to the forums! You've been awfully quiet lately.


The little interest I did have in the game has mostly gone, just as is the case for many other people. Anyway, good luck with your mmo with a horrible comunity.
____________________________
BANNED
#83 Oct 29 2013 at 8:26 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,078 posts
The selective blindness is strong in this one.

XI's community was no better. You can try to spin that the fear of reputation might scare some people straight, but if it takes a metaphorical someone standing nearby with a paddle to keep you from misbehaving, you're not a good person before or after the fact. No, the good people aren't participating in Jeuno shoutfests or waving their epeen in MD. They're playing the game, often with their friends, and actually being helpful when the option presents itself (and 99.9999999999999(add as many 9s at you want)% of the time outside your field of awareness). I **** well had princesses in XI groups. Enough people have mentioned the Catch 22 thing here and in XI to solidify the duality. Kids under the veil of anonymity will be kids. Adults under the same will act like even younger kids. Men will pretend to be women. Women will seduce men for free sh*t. People, as I've bluntly put this in so many other posts on this topic, will be people, with all the same demons and angels amongst them.

If anything, I think I see more people ****** that peasants don't have to lick their boots just to get anywhere. But they were the scum of FFXI, too.

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 10:28am by Seriha
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#84 Oct 29 2013 at 8:32 AM Rating: Good
*
181 posts
Thayos wrote:
FFXIV's endgame community really does seem to suck.

I've only done one CM run and one Prae run... not even anything meant for gear beyond level 50... and the amount of impatience, whining and general prickery I've encountered already is SHOCKING.

Finger-pointing, name-calling, forced DCs, people complaining about gear choices... all in two runs.

The sad thing is, most people who play this game are fine. However, if there are enough bad apples to pack so much whiny drama into two randomly chosen runs, then... ****. I've read about this issue on the forums, but, honestly, I thought people were just being overly dramatic!

It really is that bad, isn't it?


You aren't judging the entire community based on your two runs in CM and Prae.... are you ?

(Cause it sounds like you are doing just that)

It would be unfair and unbecoming for you to do so.
#85 Oct 29 2013 at 8:36 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Ralrra wrote:
"Dude, it's a video game. You're not actually going to die."


Funny. I need to macro that line to use everytime people FTFO, which seems to be frequently.
#86 Oct 29 2013 at 8:48 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
154 posts
I got my WAR to 50 and started working on BRD and DoH classes. Haven't played in 2 weeks though. Once I saw the attitude of people at endgame, I was put off. Being 30+ with responsibilities, I personally don't see the need to treat this game like a job. I have one of those already and it pays well. True, a lot of them could be young, but I'm sure there are some my age sprinkled in there as well...and that's...that's pretty sad, really. Eventually I'll get back to the game. I transferred to Balmung (in my experiences, RP servers have a more laid back community) so I'm curious to see if I can meet new people and make friends. Part of me wants to just get my favorite classes to 50 and hope that by then most of them have left.
#87 Oct 29 2013 at 9:50 AM Rating: Excellent
I'm not just judging endgame on the fact that I'm 0/2 on level 50 dungeons (in terms of being grouped with good, helpful people). I'm also judging this based on the sheer volume of horror stories I've seen on the forums and in my FC.

I played FFXI for eight years (or longer) and don't ever recall seeing the kind of immaturity I saw the other night in not one, but two parties.

Really, I can't explain why that is. I'll also blame poor parenting before I ever blame WoW or any other game.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#88 Oct 29 2013 at 10:06 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,214 posts
I don't know if it's a good thing or not, but once you get to around your 20th-30th time doing the same dungeon, angsty players actually seem to be nothing more than a hiccup in a long road to freedom... With that being said, I really love WP, as it is easy enough to get 3 friends together if I can, or queue up if I have to, and just run through a more relaxed environment. Even speedy people don't seem as quick on the draw in there. I actually prefer it now over all other level 50 dungeons. And I will even continue to run it when I max out on ToM.
#89 Oct 29 2013 at 10:24 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
745 posts
Valkayree wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
Thayos your on the same server as I am my FC runs WP, AK, CM all the time basically all day send me a tell in game if you are having no luck on DF and want to dungeon


Actually I'm on Sagatarnus (spelling?) now... no longer on Ultros. Moved to be with old friends from XI.

If you're there, though, I'll definitely hit you up!


ZAM on Ultros is a lot ... different now


Yeah I've been meaning to ask, what's with all the unwarranted rage quit drama?
____________________________
FFXIV - Neo Geo (formerly Droxy Durango)
FFXI - Brit *Manly man on the Fairy server*
{Retired for good in 2010 after the server transfer and forced name change)

#90 Oct 29 2013 at 10:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Yeah I've been meaning to ask, what's with all the unwarranted rage quit drama?


Are you referring to drama on Ultros? I wasn't aware of any when I left... I just moved to Sag to be with old friends from FFXI. I really had wanted to play this game on my legacy character, but I was torn between starting in a new community. In the end, my old friends tipped the scale.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#91 Oct 29 2013 at 11:01 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I didn't rage quit either, I simply ended up devoting more of my limited resources to the character I made on Lamia since that's where my RL friends are. My Ultros char is still in the FC. I just haven't played with her in a few weeks. Smiley: frown
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#92 Oct 29 2013 at 11:08 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
745 posts
Nah I wasn't referring to you guys. Rage quit isn't a term of my making in this case.
____________________________
FFXIV - Neo Geo (formerly Droxy Durango)
FFXI - Brit *Manly man on the Fairy server*
{Retired for good in 2010 after the server transfer and forced name change)

#93 Oct 29 2013 at 11:13 AM Rating: Decent
14 posts
Seriha wrote:
The selective blindness is strong in this one.

XI's community was no better. You can try to spin that the fear of reputation might scare some people straight, but if it takes a metaphorical someone standing nearby with a paddle to keep you from misbehaving, you're not a good person before or after the fact. No, the good people aren't participating in Jeuno shoutfests or waving their epeen in MD. They're playing the game, often with their friends, and actually being helpful when the option presents itself (and 99.9999999999999(add as many 9s at you want)% of the time outside your field of awareness). I **** well had princesses in XI groups. Enough people have mentioned the Catch 22 thing here and in XI to solidify the duality. Kids under the veil of anonymity will be kids. Adults under the same will act like even younger kids. Men will pretend to be women. Women will seduce men for free sh*t. People, as I've bluntly put this in so many other posts on this topic, will be people, with all the same demons and angels amongst them.

If anything, I think I see more people ****** that peasants don't have to lick their boots just to get anywhere. But they were the scum of FFXI, too.

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 10:28am by Seriha


Gonna disagree with you there. I'm not saying XI's community was inherently better, but rather that it HAD to be better out of necessity. The thing about XI is since it required you to be in a group for 99.999% of all activities you weren't going to get very far if you acted like a ****, unless somehow you managed to land yourself at the top of the totem pole or in an officer role. Reputation and at least feigning civility was essential to progression. I'm just thinking, if I would have ever chewed out someone in one of my dynamis groups as a normal member I would have been kicked so fast my head wouldn've spun. And I probably would have had a really tough time finding another group.

The DF in XIV gives people an added level of anonymity because they know there's a good chance they'll never encounter the people they're playing with again. Consequently, there are no social ramifications for being rude. I'm guilty of being curt myself, and especially of telling rude players exactly where I think they can shove their egos.

The behaviour of people on the internet in general these days is far worse than it was back when you or I started using it. Search your feelings, you know this to be true! When I was 13 and I went on my first IRC chat everyone was incredibly nice and friendly. It was like a small, close knit group of nerds with a common interest. Now as the internet has opened up to basically everyone in the world, there has been a degradation of this sense of community, except in pockets or niche groups.

Anyway I'm on a bit of a ranting spree so I'll leave it there for now.
#94 Oct 29 2013 at 11:47 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
Droxy wrote:
Nah I wasn't referring to you guys. Rage quit isn't a term of my making in this case.

Rage Quitters Anon (RAGE) is the FC that was created/populated by the group of people who left the ZAM FC.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#95 Oct 29 2013 at 11:51 AM Rating: Good
*****
12,824 posts
OnionGuardian wrote:
Gonna disagree with you there. I'm not saying XI's community was inherently better, but rather that it HAD to be better out of necessity. The thing about XI is since it required you to be in a group for 99.999% of all activities you weren't going to get very far if you acted like a ****, unless somehow you managed to land yourself at the top of the totem pole or in an officer role. Reputation and at least feigning civility was essential to progression. I'm just thinking, if I would have ever chewed out someone in one of my dynamis groups as a normal member I would have been kicked so fast my head wouldn've spun. And I probably would have had a really tough time finding another group.

The DF in XIV gives people an added level of anonymity because they know there's a good chance they'll never encounter the people they're playing with again. Consequently, there are no social ramifications for being rude. I'm guilty of being curt myself, and especially of telling rude players exactly where I think they can shove their egos.

The behaviour of people on the internet in general these days is far worse than it was back when you or I started using it. Search your feelings, you know this to be true! When I was 13 and I went on my first IRC chat everyone was incredibly nice and friendly. It was like a small, close knit group of nerds with a common interest. Now as the internet has opened up to basically everyone in the world, there has been a degradation of this sense of community, except in pockets or niche groups.

Anyway I'm on a bit of a ranting spree so I'll leave it there for now.

I hate to say it, but you are wrong. This same asshat behavior existed in FFXI, people just had to bite their tongues and grind their teeth over it. Typically, the asshat/princess/prima dona would be the tank or healer, and therefore essential even if not an officer. Sure, there were linkshells that it did not happen in, but there sure as **** were some where it did. As for no consequences in DF, there is. I've located every person I've played with in DF fairly simply. It's very easy to target them and subsequently name/shame if you **** well please. Like in the past, however, YMMV.

And as for this whole "INTERNET IS WORSE NOW", get over yourself. It isn't the internet, it's the people. Even if IRC were widespread in the 90's as FB is today, you'd have seen no difference. The difference is the idol worship lavished upon the caricature of the @#%^. See shows like Jersey Shore, Honey Boo Boo, Duck Dynasty, pretty much anything reality-TV based. Couple that with the entitlement generation we have where everyone wins and no one loses, and boom, you have an entire army of trolling @#%^tards who think it's entertaining to be a little rage monster with no manners that also feel the world owes them @#%^ing everything.

Don't blame the internet for a generation of bad parenting in Western culture.

Edit:

These tickled a memory..
Catwho wrote:
Dual wield shields!
DomfranciscoOfIfrit wrote:
Catwho wrote:
Dual wield shields!

Shouldn't it just be "Dual Shield"
rfolkker wrote:
Catwho wrote:
Dual wield shields!

I don't remember the guy who has them in game... BUT I WANTS!!! They have like Rocket-Launchers on them!


So I Googled, then I lol'd.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/27107-Can-the-Devs-allow-Dual-Wielding-Shields

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 1:55pm by Pawkeshup
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#96 Oct 29 2013 at 12:14 PM Rating: Decent
14 posts
Pawkeshup the Meaningless wrote:
OnionGuardian wrote:
Gonna disagree with you there. I'm not saying XI's community was inherently better, but rather that it HAD to be better out of necessity. The thing about XI is since it required you to be in a group for 99.999% of all activities you weren't going to get very far if you acted like a ****, unless somehow you managed to land yourself at the top of the totem pole or in an officer role. Reputation and at least feigning civility was essential to progression. I'm just thinking, if I would have ever chewed out someone in one of my dynamis groups as a normal member I would have been kicked so fast my head wouldn've spun. And I probably would have had a really tough time finding another group.

The DF in XIV gives people an added level of anonymity because they know there's a good chance they'll never encounter the people they're playing with again. Consequently, there are no social ramifications for being rude. I'm guilty of being curt myself, and especially of telling rude players exactly where I think they can shove their egos.

The behaviour of people on the internet in general these days is far worse than it was back when you or I started using it. Search your feelings, you know this to be true! When I was 13 and I went on my first IRC chat everyone was incredibly nice and friendly. It was like a small, close knit group of nerds with a common interest. Now as the internet has opened up to basically everyone in the world, there has been a degradation of this sense of community, except in pockets or niche groups.

Anyway I'm on a bit of a ranting spree so I'll leave it there for now.

I hate to say it, but you are wrong. This same asshat behavior existed in FFXI, people just had to bite their tongues and grind their teeth over it. Typically, the asshat/princess/prima dona would be the tank or healer, and therefore essential even if not an officer. Sure, there were linkshells that it did not happen in, but there sure as **** were some where it did. As for no consequences in DF, there is. I've located every person I've played with in DF fairly simply. It's very easy to target them and subsequently name/shame if you **** well please. Like in the past, however, YMMV.

And as for this whole "INTERNET IS WORSE NOW", get over yourself. It isn't the internet, it's the people. Even if IRC were widespread in the 90's as FB is today, you'd have seen no difference. The difference is the idol worship lavished upon the caricature of the @#%^. See shows like Jersey Shore, Honey Boo Boo, Duck Dynasty, pretty much anything reality-TV based. Couple that with the entitlement generation we have where everyone wins and no one loses, and boom, you have an entire army of trolling @#%^tards who think it's entertaining to be a little rage monster with no manners that also feel the world owes them @#%^ing everything.

Don't blame the internet for a generation of bad parenting in Western culture.

Edit:

These tickled a memory..
Catwho wrote:
Dual wield shields!
DomfranciscoOfIfrit wrote:
Catwho wrote:
Dual wield shields!

Shouldn't it just be "Dual Shield"
rfolkker wrote:
Catwho wrote:
Dual wield shields!

I don't remember the guy who has them in game... BUT I WANTS!!! They have like Rocket-Launchers on them!


So I Googled, then I lol'd.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/27107-Can-the-Devs-allow-Dual-Wielding-Shields

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 1:55pm by Pawkeshup


I didn't "blame" the internet. Please read what I wrote again. All I said is it's much worse now then it was, I didn't even get into causation.

And why exactly do I need to get over myself? Ever think that you may be part of the problem we're discussing here- your tone is pretty indicative of that.
#97 Oct 29 2013 at 12:46 PM Rating: Decent
*****
12,824 posts
OnionGuardian wrote:
The behaviour of people on the internet in general these days is far worse than it was back when you or I started using it. Search your feelings, you know this to be true! When I was 13 and I went on my first IRC chat everyone was incredibly nice and friendly. It was like a small, close knit group of nerds with a common interest. Now as the internet has opened up to basically everyone in the world, there has been a degradation of this sense of community, except in pockets or niche groups.


That's basically what you said. What I am saying is that it has 0 to do with the internet. The same is happening in real life too. Search your feelings, you know this to be true!!!!!

And the reason I told you to get over yourself? Well....

You said that people were nicer when you were 13 on IRC. I don't know how old you are now, but I'm fairly certain you didn't speak to the entire internet at age 13. Secondly, you're trying to come off very wise and learned, which is utter bullsh*t. XI's community had its @#%^ed up sections, the internet of your age 13 days had its @#%^ed up sections. You're wearing those glorious rose-coloured, never happened in my day glasses. Granted, culture has shifted dramatically as well, but not everything is as pristine as your memory holds it. We tend to recall the past fondly, even if it were utter sh*t, because if we do recall it as utter sh*t, then we aren't nearly as happy as we'd like to be.

And am I a part of the problem? Why don't you tell me, oh wise, enlightened guru?

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 2:46pm by Pawkeshup
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#98 Oct 29 2013 at 1:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
The first time I went on IRC I was banned in the newbie channel because I asked where the downloads were. Smiley: laugh

I got adopted by some good folks in a channel called SoulRiders and I'm still friends with many of them to this day.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#99 Oct 29 2013 at 1:14 PM Rating: Decent
14 posts
Pawkeshup the Meaningless wrote:
OnionGuardian wrote:
The behaviour of people on the internet in general these days is far worse than it was back when you or I started using it. Search your feelings, you know this to be true! When I was 13 and I went on my first IRC chat everyone was incredibly nice and friendly. It was like a small, close knit group of nerds with a common interest. Now as the internet has opened up to basically everyone in the world, there has been a degradation of this sense of community, except in pockets or niche groups.


That's basically what you said. What I am saying is that it has 0 to do with the internet. The same is happening in real life too. Search your feelings, you know this to be true!!!!!

And the reason I told you to get over yourself? Well....

You said that people were nicer when you were 13 on IRC. I don't know how old you are now, but I'm fairly certain you didn't speak to the entire internet at age 13. Secondly, you're trying to come off very wise and learned, which is utter bullsh*t. XI's community had its @#%^ed up sections, the internet of your age 13 days had its @#%^ed up sections. You're wearing those glorious rose-coloured, never happened in my day glasses. Granted, culture has shifted dramatically as well, but not everything is as pristine as your memory holds it. We tend to recall the past fondly, even if it were utter sh*t, because if we do recall it as utter sh*t, then we aren't nearly as happy as we'd like to be.

And am I a part of the problem? Why don't you tell me, oh wise, enlightened guru?

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 2:46pm by Pawkeshup


Again, no it's not, lol... please read it -again-. All I was attempting to say is that the internet is a worse place now then it was when I was young. I think you're trying to say the same thing, so I don't see again why you brought causal factors into this. It's too complex and I don't even want to start down that road.

Maybe that's how you take it, but I think people who are less insecure will probably recognize that my post was based on my _opinion_, which is a function of my experience. From the sounds of it you and I had very different experiences on XI. I played it for 7 years, and I'm confident in what I saw. On a whole the pockets you mentioned did not define the community, but now they have come to because of their sheer number. No, I do not have rose-coloured glasses on, because in fact I look back on most (not all) of my XI experience as a waste of my precious time.

You started off as hostile and I'm not sure why. I already said it was your tone, so again maybe you should reread what I wrote. Birds of a feather... which probably explains why your take on XI and its in-game community is so negative.

Also, sarcasm is the poor man's wit.
#100 Oct 29 2013 at 1:34 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
MasterShake wrote:
Thayos wrote:
FFXIV's endgame community really does seem to suck.

I've only done one CM run and one Prae run... not even anything meant for gear beyond level 50... and the amount of impatience, whining and general prickery I've encountered already is SHOCKING.

Finger-pointing, name-calling, forced DCs, people complaining about gear choices... all in two runs.

The sad thing is, most people who play this game are fine. However, if there are enough bad apples to pack so much whiny drama into two randomly chosen runs, then... ****. I've read about this issue on the forums, but, honestly, I thought people were just being overly dramatic!

It really is that bad, isn't it?


You aren't judging the entire community based on your two runs in CM and Prae.... are you ?

(Cause it sounds like you are doing just that)

It would be unfair and unbecoming for you to do so.


its what most people do, hence this discussion keeps happening...
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#101 Oct 29 2013 at 1:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Droxy wrote:
Valkayree wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
Thayos your on the same server as I am my FC runs WP, AK, CM all the time basically all day send me a tell in game if you are having no luck on DF and want to dungeon


Actually I'm on Sagatarnus (spelling?) now... no longer on Ultros. Moved to be with old friends from XI.

If you're there, though, I'll definitely hit you up!


ZAM on Ultros is a lot ... different now


Yeah I've been meaning to ask, what's with all the unwarranted rage quit drama?


You would have to ask the head of the FC for the inspiration behind its name. I wasnt mad when I left. Actually only one person even noticed (thanks Hairspray Smiley: smile). I observed two sides having frustration and I picked the dissenters. Why? They helped me out the most, and are good friends.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 77 All times are in CST
Hyrist, Anonymous Guests (76)