Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Hate to Say This, But...Follow

#102 Oct 29 2013 at 1:41 PM Rating: Decent
*****
12,824 posts
OnionGuardian wrote:
Again, no it's not, lol... please read it -again-. All I was attempting to say is that the internet is a worse place now then it was when I was young. I think you're trying to say the same thing, so I don't see again why you brought causal factors into this. It's too complex and I don't even want to start down that road.

Maybe that's how you take it, but I think people who are less insecure will probably recognize that my post was based on my _opinion_, which is a function of my experience. From the sounds of it you and I had very different experiences on XI. I played it for 7 years, and I'm confident in what I saw. On a whole the pockets you mentioned did not define the community, but now they have come to because of their sheer number. No, I do not have rose-coloured glasses on, because in fact I look back on most (not all) of my XI experience as a waste of my precious time.

You started off as hostile and I'm not sure why. I already said it was your tone, so again maybe you should reread what I wrote. Birds of a feather... which probably explains why your take on XI and its in-game community is so negative.

Also, sarcasm is the poor man's wit.

Here, I'll go slower, so you catch it.

A) Internet is not good, nor bad, it is.
B) World is now worse than before, will likely cyclically correct itself when asshats realize they are raising asshat children
C) My take is realistic, yours is rosey-sunshine-land. Ask around, just because your experience was one thing does not mean that it's the only thing.
D) You are still trying to sound far more intelligent than you are.
E) Am I hostile? Hells no. Please search your feelings, you know this to be true.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#103 Oct 29 2013 at 1:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
Pawkeshup the Meaningless wrote:


So I Googled, then I lol'd.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/27107-Can-the-Devs-allow-Dual-Wielding-Shields

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 1:55pm by Pawkeshup


I always thought that thread was the inspration for Rihtahtyn sas Arvina...

I mean, look at the guy.. Dual Weilding shields with rocket-like bazookas on them... how is that NOT inspired by the previous quotes you had.
#104 Oct 29 2013 at 1:58 PM Rating: Default
14 posts
A) Fine, but that's not really what you said before.
B) I wish I shared your optimism.
C) You don't seem to want to get it. "Just because your experience was one thing does not mean that it's the only thing."
D) If you say so. . . . . zzzzzzz
E) Again, if you say so. But "I'll go slower" is an insult. And look again at what you wrote for D- how is that not supposed to be insulting?
#105 Oct 29 2013 at 2:12 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
181 posts
Pawkeshup the Meaningless wrote:
OnionGuardian wrote:
Again, no it's not, lol... please read it -again-. All I was attempting to say is that the internet is a worse place now then it was when I was young. I think you're trying to say the same thing, so I don't see again why you brought causal factors into this. It's too complex and I don't even want to start down that road.

Maybe that's how you take it, but I think people who are less insecure will probably recognize that my post was based on my _opinion_, which is a function of my experience. From the sounds of it you and I had very different experiences on XI. I played it for 7 years, and I'm confident in what I saw. On a whole the pockets you mentioned did not define the community, but now they have come to because of their sheer number. No, I do not have rose-coloured glasses on, because in fact I look back on most (not all) of my XI experience as a waste of my precious time.

You started off as hostile and I'm not sure why. I already said it was your tone, so again maybe you should reread what I wrote. Birds of a feather... which probably explains why your take on XI and its in-game community is so negative.

Also, sarcasm is the poor man's wit.

Here, I'll go slower, so you catch it.

A) Internet is not good, nor bad, it is.
B) World is now worse than before, will likely cyclically correct itself when asshats realize they are raising asshat children
C) My take is realistic, yours is rosey-sunshine-land. Ask around, just because your experience was one thing does not mean that it's the only thing.
D) You are still trying to sound far more intelligent than you are.
E) Am I hostile? Hells no. Please search your feelings, you know this to be true.


B) history proves that the world is a lot better then...pick any past period in time
#106 Oct 29 2013 at 3:37 PM Rating: Decent
*****
12,824 posts
First, the really important part:

Hyrist wrote:
I always thought that thread was the inspration for Rihtahtyn sas Arvina...

I mean, look at the guy.. Dual Weilding shields with rocket-like bazookas on them... how is that NOT inspired by the previous quotes you had.

Wow, really? That guy is in here? OMG I so want to fight him, it will ridiculous!!

Now for the less interesting, since I don't feel like PMing it. Let's just spoiler it.

OnionGuardian wrote:
A) Fine, but that's not really what you said before.


"Me quoting me of that first post" wrote:
And as for this whole "INTERNET IS WORSE NOW", get over yourself. It isn't the internet, it's the people.


OnionGuardian wrote:
B) I wish I shared your optimism.
It's not optimism. Cultural norms fluctuate and cycle through generations. It takes a while but basically you go more and more extreme with behaviors, then you will see a reflexive move backwards as people see it as undesirable, then they will move to a more conservative norm. Then it will cycle back around. It's happened before, will happen again, so long as we don't murder each other to extinction in the process.
OnionGuardian wrote:
C) You don't seem to want to get it. "Just because your experience was one thing does not mean that it's the only thing."
And at the same time, I said to ask around. The forums have always been loaded with horror stories of endgame terribleness. And it's not exclusive ti FFXI. It happens. Put a bunch of people in a room together, lock the door, and watch the magic. The longer you stick a group of people together, the greater the small annnoyances will drive them all mental. People are the truest form of ****. Now give them all a way to exit that room, but only if they all work together, and only get out one at a time. Now you have FFXI's endgame. The greater majority of people had bad experiences, it's the rare few that found really good LS's and/or friends (I have had both experiences, fyi), mainly because maintaining and running one of those juggernauts of greed and jealousy is not very pleasant.

OnionGuardian wrote:
E) Again, if you say so. But "I'll go slower" is an insult. And look again at what you wrote for D- how is that not supposed to be insulting?
I am not hostile, am I dismissing you? Yes, I am. If you want to bring out tired old crap like that, expect to be insulted, dismissed, and told how wrong you are. Let's face it, the culture that spared the rod spoiled the child, now those children that were never punished, or rarely were, are now buying video games and raising their own brood of over-entitled, underachieving @#%^tards who, with any luck, will start the cycle back into non-@#%^tardiness eventually and get us moving back. Though likely that will take a couple more generations, sadly.


And finally, the fun-but-really-not-the-topic-to-discuss:
domice wrote:
B) history proves that the world is a lot better then...pick any past period in time

Now, are we talking socio-economic, cultural... what here, because right now, we are nearing a global depression, the like of which hasn't been seen since the 1930's, and unlike then, there's not a real way to solve it. The world has hungered for cheaper goods, and the price has been scooping out a couple generation's worth of skilled blue collar labourer's livelihoods and shipping them away from the countries that consume those goods. We are more reliant than ever on fossil fuels to ship goods, and we are running out of that resource, increasing the cost of everything until some replacement is found.

Now if you are talking scientific and medical, yes, we are living longer, healthier lives... but by the same token the chemicals we eat are taking a toll on our bodies, and could be drastically altering how our children grow up. We are finding cures for diseases and having longer life expectancies, but we are not finding the solution to make those final years quality ones, resulting in a greater number of us lingering in the twilight of our years unable to cope with the world around us. Science has found a way to double our life spans with a drug, but that drug leads to greatly increased amounts of cancer. So really, we are further ahead, yet no further ahead. We fix a dozen things, break two dozen more.

And if you are talking socially? Well, in some areas of the world, we are getting closer to that, but now we are almost seeing a reversion in some ways. Sure, no loss of rights, but by the same token, you are seeing old hatreds between sexes and races starting to flare more, you're seeing a greater tendency towards marginalization of those few remaining groups that can be marginalized, and we still haven't reached a point where everyone is truly equal in all ways. In essence, we have come far, but we need to go further and that seems to be stagnating.

And as fascinating as it would be to go further in that, that would be asylum/oot realm.

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 5:41pm by Pawkeshup
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#107 Oct 29 2013 at 4:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Good answer, Pawkeshup.

I'd say from a relationship standpoint, we're probably worse off than we've been in a long time. Young people don't really know how to relate to each other (or older people), because most of what they know is through a phone or a computer. Yes, I firmly believe this is the result of negligent parenting, but that doesn't change what's happening. It is what it is.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#108 Oct 29 2013 at 5:02 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
181 posts
A lot for you points kind of tell half truths. You say it's bad that we are living longer? Medical speaking we have never been better and it's not even close whether you look at infant mortality, death from infectious diseases, lifespan and quality of life at older ages.

Cultural we have never been better, no slavery, Jim crow, trail of tears lynching and imprisonment over interracial relationships. And the fact that homosexuality is becoming more accepted and having more of their rights protected by law, and last I checked black people aren't considered 3/4 a person. Is their still racism sexism classicism and homophobia, yes. But it's not nearly as bad as it use to be.

Economically that's a bit of muddy waters to tread due to how radically different the economy is and changes throughout history but one can say that more people then ever are experiencing prosperity and wealth specially among groups that have a history on being disenfranchised.

And the thing about older and younger generation is something that's not New and no worst then any other point in history just different.
#109 Oct 29 2013 at 5:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Cultural we have never been better


We have a culture? :O
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#110 Oct 29 2013 at 5:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
Cultural we have never been better


We have a culture? :O


The bacterial kind.Smiley: schooled
#111 Oct 29 2013 at 5:45 PM Rating: Excellent
domice wrote:
A lot for you points kind of tell half truths. You say it's bad that we are living longer? Medical speaking we have never been better and it's not even close whether you look at infant mortality, death from infectious diseases, lifespan and quality of life at older ages.

Cultural we have never been better, no slavery, Jim crow, trail of tears lynching and imprisonment over interracial relationships. And the fact that homosexuality is becoming more accepted and having more of their rights protected by law, and last I checked black people aren't considered 3/4 a person. Is their still racism sexism classicism and homophobia, yes. But it's not nearly as bad as it use to be.

Economically that's a bit of muddy waters to tread due to how radically different the economy is and changes throughout history but one can say that more people then ever are experiencing prosperity and wealth specially among groups that have a history on being disenfranchised.

And the thing about older and younger generation is something that's not New and no worst then any other point in history just different.


3/5 Smiley: tongue

The middle class has actually shrunk in the last couple decades and net worth of middle-class homes has shrunk. source

The wealthy, or "1%" have gained control of more of the nation's wealth than ever before, leaving less money for the "99%" source

And we all know that unemployment is ridiculously high. In source #1, I believe it also states that the percentage of Americans classified as "poor" has also risen higher than 25 years ago. Child hunger in America is also at alarming levels. I don't know if we can really call that "more widespread prosperity," just because the poor are living longer and have iPhones.

It is true that we have become less blatantlybigoted in our oppression of minorities in this country. I'll give you that one.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#112 Oct 29 2013 at 6:53 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
Avatar
**
448 posts
And so the thread slowly evolves into a critique on societal interpretations. Hang on guys, I have the popcorn on the stove... it'll be ready in a few.

Smiley: popcorn
____________________________
"We're getting close, real close. And now for some more bad news... Ready?"
-- Egg Shen
#113 Oct 29 2013 at 8:23 PM Rating: Good
Revolving Door Inspector
Avatar
*****
12,735 posts
Well, to sort of swing back to the origins of the thread, I'd say instead of a kick system, they need a Duty Finder black list. One that purposely avoids pairing you up with people at all when you're seeking.

Casual players and blacklist the elitists and elitists can blacklist anyone they feel are 'beneath' them. Casual players can avoid douchebags(tm) and if they get blacklisted by a douchebag(tm) then it just saves them the trouble. Douchebags(tm) would then just play amongst themselves until they all blacklist each other and never play with anyone ever again, as a mathematical result.

Its win/sort of win! Smiley: laugh
____________________________
FFXI: Exodus @ San d'Oria since November 19, 2003, Siren Server
FFXIV: Turk Kalahai @ Gridania, Balmung Server (RPC Link)
Rift: Kalahai @ Sanctum, Faeblight Server
#114 Oct 29 2013 at 8:28 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,072 posts
Only real thing I'll say about the "way back when" of computers was in their early days you certainly didn't have them in most every home and they were expensive enough to likely only be in the hands of people who used them for work purposes. I was in 8th grade (1997) when my family finally got their first net capable computer. MMOs weren't really a thing, but there were still chat rooms, roleplaying, and boards where you'd still get bad apples peek in to stir the pot. Anyway, as the number of users increase, the more you can tap into that ******** base of society that certainly existed beforehand, but didn't have the means or courage to do their thing in reality. I know I tend to find it sad when I learn of situations where a kid who's bullied just comes home and bullies someone online as if it's the only social interaction they really know and understand. On the other end, you get people who have been through that same stuff and absolutely do not wish to do it to others... not unlike how someone who maybe had a terrible parent or two not wishing follow in their footsteps when they get their own kid.

Anyway, I'm a fan of fair repercussions, but in having experience MMOs without content finders, I'm willing to accept the occasional bad apple over sitting in a hub and shouting indefinitely with no promise of aid. Certainly I'd prefer no bad apples at all, but this pretty much calls for the internet being more stringent against such behavior on the whole and not just a video game. Sadly, the perpetual counter just seems to parrot claims of babying people, needing a thicker skin, or the comedic association of loss with punishment (EXP penalties, gear destruction, corpse looting, etc.).
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#115 Oct 29 2013 at 9:11 PM Rating: Decent
*****
12,824 posts
Thayos wrote:
Good answer, Pawkeshup.

I'd say from a relationship standpoint, we're probably worse off than we've been in a long time. Young people don't really know how to relate to each other (or older people), because most of what they know is through a phone or a computer. Yes, I firmly believe this is the result of negligent parenting, but that doesn't change what's happening. It is what it is.


You know, I'd go into that more, but I already did. We agree, by the way.

Oooh Domice...
domice wrote:
A lot for you points kind of tell half truths. You say it's bad that we are living longer? Medical speaking we have never been better and it's not even close whether you look at infant mortality, death from infectious diseases, lifespan and quality of life at older ages.

Yes, because that's the line society likes to use to avoid the real question: Why do we die? Why is it wrong to push life expectancy with no plan? Why is a cure for every disease a bad thing? The answer is simple. We have finite room and finite resources. We cannot create from nothingness yet. When we can, then who cares how long we live or how many of us there are. The reality is that soon enough, we will reach an impasse. Right now we make enough food to feed more than who lives on the planet, but misuse it. (source) But now, even if we can produce enough food when the population rises to extreme levels in 2050, what happens then? Eventually, we need to change the paradigm. Money needs to go away. So do jobs. Our society needs to shift, because right now, if the game keeps getting bigger, there will just be more hungry, starving mouths to feed, and no pieces of paper to give them to trade for food. something needs to give.

And to go to the other side of things, and this portion of the debate is hitting close to home, is the concept that we are forcing nature to our will in reproduction. We use hormones to impregnate women incapable of normal pregnancy, and even go so far as to forcibly fertilize an egg when unable to conceive. Has anyone really stopped to ask why we shouldn't? Why is it that the natural biology of two people dictates that they are not to have children? Why is it that we so cavalierly toss that aside and move forward anyway? What harm are we doing to our species by this?

domice wrote:
Cultural we have never been better, no slavery, Jim crow, trail of tears lynching and imprisonment over interracial relationships. And the fact that homosexuality is becoming more accepted and having more of their rights protected by law, and last I checked black people aren't considered 3/4 a person. Is their still racism sexism classicism and homophobia, yes. But it's not nearly as bad as it use to be.

Well, there may not be lynchings, but police routinely target people of colour. There are still race crimes, they just don't make front page news like they used to, and are actual crimes rather than just being a part of life. But, since I am dating a woman who is both of colour and part native, I can tell you that things aren't quite as progressive as you think in some areas. It is leaps and bounds better, but that doesn't mean it's perfect and that there still isn't insanely bad people out there. The Westboro Baptist Church is still a thing, last I checked.

Also, there is slavery, even if it is illegal, it still is there. (source)

So is it better? Yes, but only legally, and not in every nation. Society still has its issues. You know, like Russia, where it is actually illegal to be ***, for instance. There are other nations, but then, you seem focused on the US. I'm more a globally minded person, myself.

domice wrote:
Economically that's a bit of muddy waters to tread due to how radically different the economy is and changes throughout history but one can say that more people then ever are experiencing prosperity and wealth specially among groups that have a history on being disenfranchised.

The global economy is a house of cards. Do you understand why we have paper currency? It's because it was originally a certificate of ownership of a portion of wealth. It was a voucher, stating that you owned X amount of an item, typically a precious metal or other commodity, that could not easily be transported. Now, what is it actually tied to? Well, not a **** of a lot. That's the problem. We are trading air right now. When you had someone a 20 dollar bill, you are handing them a portion of investments in the Stock Market, and some bit of the precious metals and natural resources of your nation. But those resources are not infinite, and some of them aren't really worth anything. Like gold, as a for instance. Sure, it can be used, and it can be reclaimed, but does it hold the same value as during the gold rush? No. It's value has changed. So has oil, which at one time was a luxury, then became common, and now is becoming a luxury once more.

Eventually, the economy is going to reach a breaking point. It's coming, and very soon. People are not seeing the same value in something like a brick of gold as they are a tank of gas, or a full cart of groceries. If we can't resolve how currency will be used in the future, the economy will implode shearly because there are too many people and not enough real work to go around.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#116 Oct 30 2013 at 7:09 AM Rating: Good
*
181 posts
Thayos wrote:
I'm not just judging endgame on the fact that I'm 0/2 on level 50 dungeons (in terms of being grouped with good, helpful people). I'm also judging this based on the sheer volume of horror stories I've seen on the forums and in my FC.

I played FFXI for eight years (or longer) and don't ever recall seeing the kind of immaturity I saw the other night in not one, but two parties.

Really, I can't explain why that is. I'll also blame poor parenting before I ever blame WoW or any other game.



You are doing exactly that though. You are judging the end game community based on your 0/2 runs of story dungeons. The fact that you are supplementing this with "the sheer volume of horror stories" you have been exposed to isn't helping your point. You are essentially trying to bolster your position by siting hearsay. I would be more inclined to listen to your plight if you actually bothered to see for yourself rather than defaulting to the opinions of others.

End game communities are filled with elitist jerks and complainers. FFXI was actually notorious for this, and I don't know what game you think you played. Dynamis drama comes to mind. People in that game actually though a +1 scorpion harness made a material difference when comparing it a non +1.

What added value does this topic have again? This is not helping the atmosphere of this forums either you realize (and as an admin I would think you should be concerned with that). This is actually quite destructive.
#117 Oct 30 2013 at 7:17 AM Rating: Good
**
325 posts
Thayos wrote:
I'm also judging this based on the sheer volume of horror stories I've seen on the forums and in my FC.

The problem with that is very rarely does anyone mention in linkshell chat "Wow, that run went well" but will post every single detail of a bad run from the first pull till the inevitable wipe.

To me I have not seen any more or any less jerkwards than any other MMO where you are required to play with others. There are plenty of fun and friendly people to play with but it might take some looking to find them. Duty Finder just makes things worse for the most part. Slapping together people who will probably never see each other ever again who all have differing goals, iLvl gear and experience.

Edited, Oct 30th 2013 9:17am by Yelta
#118 Oct 30 2013 at 7:19 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
I've been having a great time in DF parties. A majority of the players are there for the same reason I am, which is we want to have fun playing FFXIV.


Edited, Oct 30th 2013 9:22am by Gnu
#119 Oct 30 2013 at 8:09 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
88 posts
Gnu wrote:
I've been having a great time in DF parties. A majority of the players are there for the same reason I am, which is we want to have fun playing FFXIV.


Edited, Oct 30th 2013 9:22am by Gnu


Ive only really had 1 DF problem and it was on Monday... long story.. But other than that I've done nothing but DF since I've started and All have been Mostly drama free.

Yesterday evening I accidentally Signed up for Garuda HM (Meaning I tried earlier couldn't a que and forgot to take it out of DF when I tried to Que for AV) Got in, only question was asked "Do you wanna MT" from 1 tank to the other and Bam we all fough,t we all won, I get My lance everyone was happy Smiley: smile NOt 1 arguement about gear or anything was awesome

____________________________
Freaky Deaky Excalibur
#120 Oct 30 2013 at 8:56 AM Rating: Excellent
I have heard FFXI's community has taken a big dip as of late, but this kind of behavior was not the norm during the game's prime. People who acted so childishly would have been shunned.

Another big difference is that many people have accepted bad attitudes as the norm, especially for PUGs. Again, that was never an expectation in FFXI, especially with the outright name-calling and other shenanigans.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#121 Oct 30 2013 at 9:08 AM Rating: Good
***
2,214 posts
My FC has taken to proper shunning of PUG and server pickups of people deserve a good shunning.

I personally live by a simply philosophy, act respectful, and you earn respect. Act disrespectful, and I will not give you the time of day. No need for me to fight over it, or get upset.
#122 Oct 30 2013 at 9:16 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
I really don't think the endgame community is elitist or rude as a whole. I think the jerks are the loudest, and the people who complain about the jerks are second loudest.

Edited, Oct 30th 2013 11:16am by Gnu
#123 Oct 30 2013 at 10:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
I personally live by a simply philosophy, act respectful, and you earn respect. Act disrespectful, and I will not give you the time of day. No need for me to fight over it, or get upset.


I think this will be my way from now on, too.

Hoping to finish Prae tonight, and contemplating a "no douchebagerry" disclaimer before we get moving. I'd need to word it politely, but I really don't want to spend another minute of my time playing with people who are DBs. I'd rather take the 15-min hit.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#124 Oct 30 2013 at 10:28 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Thayos wrote:
FFXIV's endgame community really does seem to suck.

I've only done one CM run and one Prae run... not even anything meant for gear beyond level 50... and the amount of impatience, whining and general prickery I've encountered already is SHOCKING.

Finger-pointing, name-calling, forced DCs, people complaining about gear choices... all in two runs.

The sad thing is, most people who play this game are fine. However, if there are enough bad apples to pack so much whiny drama into two randomly chosen runs, then... ****. I've read about this issue on the forums, but, honestly, I thought people were just being overly dramatic!

It really is that bad, isn't it?


I've actually been taking a break from the game because of it. All these people packed into 2-3 pieces of content makes for grumpy gusses.
____________________________


#125 Oct 30 2013 at 3:53 PM Rating: Default
Didn't have time to read through the entire thread, so I'm not sure if anyone has posted this.

I heard from a friend yesterday that Microsoft implemented some kind of new feature to their XBox Live Gold membership users. I'm a Microsoft/Xbox hater but even I thought this feature they implemented was genius. Kind of left me hanging as to why S.E. never thought about doing this.

MS created this... so called "Point System", where users gets to rate other users based on their behavior, language use, attitude/play style and various others. This thing was created to counter problems with games like Call of Duty, Battlefield and etc. Apparently, CoD and Battlefield all have their share of "kids" that basically ruin the game for everyone else during online sessions.

To simplify it, it's a "Reputation System" where bad players with bad behaviors gets marked. I think if you are a good player, there is some kind of "green" marking next to your account name and if you are one of the annoying kids, you get a red mark.

Here's the kicker though, when getting banded together into events, such as Duty Finder or features similar to Duty Finder, the players with the good green marks gets banded together automatically and the players with the bad reputation (red marks) gets banded together themselves.

So if you're going to be a ****, you're going to get banded with the ******

There is also something called the "Redeeming Points" system, if you ever grow up and felt that you've been an ***** in the past and you want to somehow change your reputation mark, you use points to redeem yourself, of course you'd have to do some good deeds first I assume.

Since S.E. is trying so hard to turn themselves into a Western gaming company, they should really take note of this feature done by MS.

P.S.

I also heard from a buddy of mine this week, that S.E. will be outsourcing their next Final Fantasy title to a Western game developing company for the first time.

So I guess, no more Japanese dev teams for FF..... lol

Now S.E. has officially turned themselves not only into a more Westernized MMO company but also now a "Westernized" console gaming company as well.

Think S.E. is seriously dropping the ball... Their games were popular in the past for very unique reasons, because they are different, they are apart from what we Westerners are more accustomed to.... Now it's all over, we have S.E. concentrating their whole effort on creating games that are designed to cater to Westernized kids with ADD/ADHD.

Good job Square, guess you never did really recover after the whole Spirits Within **** hitting the fan...
#126 Oct 30 2013 at 4:00 PM Rating: Good
GiftedChild wrote:
P.S.

I also heard from a buddy of mine this week, that S.E. will be outsourcing their next Final Fantasy title to a Western game developing company for the first time.

So I guess, no more Japanese dev teams for FF..... lol

Now S.E. has officially turned themselves not only into a more Westernized MMO company but also now a "Westernized" console gaming company as well.

Think S.E. is seriously dropping the ball... Their games were popular in the past for very unique reasons, because they are different, they are apart from what we Westerners are more accustomed to.... Now it's all over, we have S.E. concentrating their whole effort on creating games that are designed to cater to Westernized kids with ADD/ADHD.

Good job Square, guess you never did really recover after the whole Spirits Within sh*t hitting the fan...


Would like to see some sort of source on this.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#127 Oct 30 2013 at 4:09 PM Rating: Decent
*****
12,824 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
GiftedChild wrote:
I also heard from a buddy of mine this week, that S.E. will be outsourcing their next Final Fantasy title to a Western game developing company for the first time.


Would like to see some sort of source on this.


http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/27/square-enix-to-rely-more-on-outsourced-development-for-large-projects/

Rumors last year said they were considering it. Nothing solid on anything yet.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#128 Oct 30 2013 at 4:46 PM Rating: Default
IKickYoDog wrote:
GiftedChild wrote:
P.S.

I also heard from a buddy of mine this week, that S.E. will be outsourcing their next Final Fantasy title to a Western game developing company for the first time.

So I guess, no more Japanese dev teams for FF..... lol

Now S.E. has officially turned themselves not only into a more Westernized MMO company but also now a "Westernized" console gaming company as well.

Think S.E. is seriously dropping the ball... Their games were popular in the past for very unique reasons, because they are different, they are apart from what we Westerners are more accustomed to.... Now it's all over, we have S.E. concentrating their whole effort on creating games that are designed to cater to Westernized kids with ADD/ADHD.

Good job Square, guess you never did really recover after the whole Spirits Within sh*t hitting the fan...


Would like to see some sort of source on this.


I am not certain what you would consider as ... source... or official but here's two:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/65029/square-enix-has-discussed-letting-eidos-work-on-final-fantasy-could-be-very-interesting/

This one was from XBOX The official magazine.

This one is from some web site:

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/the-next-final-fantasy-game-could-be-made-by-eidos/

So I'm not certain which company they decided to go with but they are definitely open to the idea. No objections means highly possible, in the gaming industry, this rumor is just as good as a fact.

Remember that they already experienced big success with the Tomb Raider reboot. What? You think Tomb Raider was created by S.E.? No, it was only "published" by S.E.

Since they had so much success, again from a business perspective, it might be less costly and more efficient by going this way.

Point is, S.E. is changing and no one can be sure if this... business direction change is really good for them in the long run.
#129 Oct 30 2013 at 4:48 PM Rating: Good
Alrighty, thanks. I hadn't heard about any of that to this point.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#130 Oct 30 2013 at 7:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,072 posts
XBL kinda had a karma system before, though, through stars. When I played the one multiplayer Castlevania arcade game when I had my sub, I had some person randomly rate me down even though I played just fine, don't use voice, and didn't spam the in-game emotes. Why? Well, because he could. I don't really see such a system accomplishing anything in the long term, as just like here, all it takes is a few bad votes early on to cement your "caste" within the community.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#131 Oct 31 2013 at 1:35 AM Rating: Excellent
*
97 posts
There's an easy solution for this problem, find people that aren't DB and form an FC or ls with them. Might take some time and you might have to kick some people and maybe hurt your rep on the server a little, but it worked for me. :-)

There was a girl I was playing FFXI with on Kujata and she invited anyone on her FB to come play FFXIV with a group on a specific server. We eventually left that massive group with only the people she has played with for years and I have to say we got a nice group. I don't mind dying a gazillion times in FC parties and neither do I in DF groups. It's funny how the whiners are usually the bad players who don't know how to play with others. One example, the guy we kicked from our FC. He had the best gear and was always telling us how to play, but was the worst skilled player of our FC and didn't know how to play with others or have patience.

Another example, Mor Dhona shout group for Garuda. No specific shout asking only to clear the HM fight. This guy comes in, starts demanding relics for every slot of the group and whatnot. I basically told him to f off lol. Bottomline is we beat the fight after trying a couple time with that group, everyone happy lol. Even made a few friends ^^

Really, it's all a matter of patience and allowing people to learn, give them the time to develop. If your only goal in this game is to get the best gear and beat everything asap, you forget the most important aspect of playing a game: Have. Fun.

I live by what someone said in this thread: I give you respect and only ask that you are respectful in return. But if you show me disrespect, you can go somewhere else.
#132 Oct 31 2013 at 3:59 PM Rating: Excellent
*
149 posts
blowfin wrote:
Quote:
What shocked me most though is that this took place in my own FC.


My scrub-sense is tingling, sounds like your leader has some pretty special ideas. Just do your best to save people from being sent to farm CM ~



The first FC I joined when the game launched was a lot like this, so I left for another FC that invited me along to farm Titan with them, with none of us better than AF with a smattering of AK here and there, and a few Ifrit and Garuda weapons mixed in with the rest of our dungeon weapons. They farmed Titan regularly with just that because A.) No one told them you needed better gear, so they all just got better at the fight, and B.) They were fine with failing before succeeding instead of powering through something at a lower skill level, and as casuals, they were far better due to that mind-set alone than most hardcores I've met.

I loved that they offered me a spot in their FC. One of the best moves I ever made. The first FC I was in, last I heard, they imploded from the top-down. The leader wouldn't bring FC members to AK unless they were in full DL, and you don't want to know what he mandated for a speed run. From what I understand, his reputation and that of his officers are such garbage that they even get called out in DF now. So much for lack of community :D.

I guess the moral of the story is to move to a less-vocal FC that you can enjoy playing in. You'll have more fun overall.

Thayos wrote:
Good answer, Pawkeshup.

I'd say from a relationship standpoint, we're probably worse off than we've been in a long time. Young people don't really know how to relate to each other (or older people), because most of what they know is through a phone or a computer. Yes, I firmly believe this is the result of negligent parenting, but that doesn't change what's happening. It is what it is.


Louis C.K.

Almost Carlin-like in how true it is.

GiftedChild wrote:
Didn't have time to read through the entire thread, so I'm not sure if anyone has posted this.

I heard from a friend yesterday that Microsoft implemented some kind of new feature to their XBox Live Gold membership users. I'm a Microsoft/Xbox hater but even I thought this feature they implemented was genius. Kind of left me hanging as to why S.E. never thought about doing this.

MS created this... so called "Point System", where users gets to rate other users based on their behavior, language use, attitude/play style and various others. This thing was created to counter problems with games like Call of Duty, Battlefield and etc. Apparently, CoD and Battlefield all have their share of "kids" that basically ruin the game for everyone else during online sessions.

To simplify it, it's a "Reputation System" where bad players with bad behaviors gets marked. I think if you are a good player, there is some kind of "green" marking next to your account name and if you are one of the annoying kids, you get a red mark.



Snipped some there, just to get the main point out. But from what I've seen so far, these systems always start out all good and well, but a vast majority of people that use the system itself tend to rate people down out of spite or boredom more than people rate up, and the system defeats itself. League of Legends bypasses this by weighting level 30 reports more heavily than lower levels, and by weighting reports by people who report often less than those who report rarely, but for MS to have a system like that to work, you'd require a serious time investment into your Gold membership, and that may or may not work with different game genres and expectations in multiplay across games. It'll be interesting to see if they can make it work, but I don't have high hopes, especially when it's MS putting forth the effort. Although, 3 to 5 years after they release it they should have all the kinks worked out.
#133 Nov 01 2013 at 9:00 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Thayos wrote:
I'll also blame poor parenting before I ever blame WoW or any other game.


Perhaps. Or perhaps people can just be jerks regardless of their upbringing. There are studies currently being conducted, the one on brown capuchin monkeys being the most noteworthy, of the presence or absence of morality in species other than humans. This group of primates in particular demonstrated an inherent sense of 'fairness'. Fascinating study.

Parents can't be held responsible for how their children behave, especially when so many of us came from broken homes or no homes at all and still didn't use it as an excuse to turn into an abusive c*nt in a video game. I hold no one responsible but the person themselves. Growing into an adult is a world experience, not just limited to the original two parents, and everyone has the power to make themselves into a better human being.

That said, the mmo community is growing more toxic in general. Wow forums are blowing up over the LFR community as well of late, and I wonder if it's just because games are so much more accessible now. Games used to be sort of a sanctuary, where the geekiest of us would take refuge to escape the abuse of our peers. It used to take some intelligence to put together a machine capable of communication over the wire. Now it's so dumbed down that anyone who can press a power button is online. That's reflected in the community at large.
#134 Nov 01 2013 at 12:02 PM Rating: Excellent
*
197 posts
Torrence wrote:

Perhaps. Or perhaps people can just be jerks regardless of their upbringing.


I worked with a kid, he was probably around 16-17 at the time, he was nice as can be at work, quite, soft spoken, and did his job. His Mother also worked there and she was also a really nice responsible Mother. Come to find out, he had been banned from Xbox live for abusive behavior about 4 or 5 times, I guess this kid would just scream at people calling them all sorts of racist **** and what not. His Mother eventually sold his Xbox and wouldn't let him play games online anymore, then he ended up in the military LOL. But you would have never guessed it from just talking to him.

Just goes to show, some people are just bat **** crazy for no reason when its anonymous over the internet.
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#135 Nov 01 2013 at 12:21 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Jeskradha wrote:
Torrence wrote:

Perhaps. Or perhaps people can just be jerks regardless of their upbringing.


I worked with a kid, he was probably around 16-17 at the time, he was nice as can be at work, quite, soft spoken, and did his job. His Mother also worked there and she was also a really nice responsible Mother. Come to find out, he had been banned from Xbox live for abusive behavior about 4 or 5 times, I guess this kid would just scream at people calling them all sorts of racist sh*t and what not. His Mother eventually sold his Xbox and wouldn't let him play games online anymore, then he ended up in the military LOL. But you would have never guessed it from just talking to him.

Just goes to show, some most people are just bat sh*t crazy for no reason when its anonymous over the internet.

FTFY
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#136 Nov 01 2013 at 1:43 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,010 posts
Jeskradha wrote:


Just goes to show, some people are just bat sh*t crazy for no reason when its anonymous over the internet.


Oh it's not for "no reason". There's a reason and it's untreated mental illness. Another reason we need better healthcare in America.

#137 Nov 01 2013 at 10:44 PM Rating: Good
*
149 posts
Torrence wrote:
Jeskradha wrote:


Just goes to show, some people are just bat sh*t crazy for no reason when its anonymous over the internet.


Oh it's not for "no reason". There's a reason and it's untreated mental illness. Another reason we need better healthcare in America.



It's not a mental illness, kid just needs an outlet. Probably doesn't do much else, so his sole release is online gaming. With it being such a safe bet there will be little to no repercussions to his actions that would affect him in a significant way, it's a fairly safe place to air your grievances. It's not so much a mental illness as much as parents don't teach kids how to properly express anger and negative emotions, so all kids know are the unhealthy extremes they see on TV in a lot of "reality" shows and programs. Grow up thinking that's the norm, and suffer no real punishment when you do it from the relative safety and anonymity of the internet, and it's not a stretch to see why that behavior is so prevalent today. Not really a mental illness though. Just a lack of education.
#138 Nov 02 2013 at 1:13 PM Rating: Good
**
337 posts
I've done all the 'endgame' activities in ARR, and continue to do them, and I will have to agree that the community for those activities is downright horrible.

I see some people in this thread trying to say the reason is because of 'kids these days', etc. but there are plenty of other recent multiplayer communities that act civil.

The late game community of FFXIV acts like they're on 4chan - end of story. Lots of bullying and very little positivity. I'm not sure why though. But blaming it on how parents raise their kids this generation, etc. is bullcrap.

Edited, Nov 2nd 2013 3:28pm by LucasNox
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn
Lucas Nox on Midgardsormr
#139 Nov 02 2013 at 4:39 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,448 posts
I know there's a lot of comments here already and I only read the first page, but just wanted to add my own experience.

I only ran into ONE elitist jerk since I've been 50 that I couldnt stand at all. he was a white mage with an obnoxious name to begin with, and told our 2nd healer from the DF that she was an idiot for aggroing stuff in CM on her first run through story mode. It was also my first run. Granted, I didn't aggro stuff the group was dodging and she did...but come on. first time. He actually got way over defensive and started name calling and berating her, all 6 of us jumped down his throat and he refused to move. he sat in the starting area. When we got to the first boss and someone asked if we were all there, i said 'looks like everyone but X, looks like hes trollin in the dungeon'- and then he exploded. We wipe and we blame him, he then proceeds to tell us he was lost, not that he was refusing to help; and that it was our fault we went in without him. Absolutely outrageous.

He said he was 30 and didnt need to work a long day and login to get some tomes in to make progress and be belittled by an entire group of kids. So, the age filter is probably not the best idea. We all quit the run including two relic dps who graciously left first so the rest of us doing story didnt have to wait 15 minutes for DF cooldown. We also all filed harassment reports for griefing, because by refusing to help the group but also refusing to leave so we couldnt replace him, he was keeping us from being able to play the game in a normal capacity.

I shared the experience and it seems like between linkshell and my FC, it is just praetorium and Caustrum Meridium that have these issues. The elitist, jerk asshats looking for speed runs think this is the fastest way to get philo without having to do much work, but it's actually slower because they are also running those with first timer, fresh 50s. I kinda feel like they are really the rejects who can't make the cut for the other elitists shouting in Mor Dhona, so they relegate themselves to belittling fresh 50s in Prae/CM.

I do my WP/AK runs about 50/50 between DF and fc/LS friends, and I only run into a few people who quit after the first 5 minutes because we aren't far enough for their liking. Little do they know, even as a healer or tank, you're not going to find a group in the DF by leaving and re-queuing that will get in and move through the dungeon faster than if you were to just stay in the group with the relic bard and 5 DL piece blm. *shrug*


So really TL:DR; wait to do prae and CM with FC/LS friends or as many as you can before you DF, then run WP/AK onry.
Survive until patch 2.1 when we can get categories such as efficiency-goal based, or story-based ect ect whatever those features were!
____________________________
Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
Lacaan Vasiim:Cactuar
Free Company:Cactuar Corp<CCorp>
catwho wrote:
If you need a bard to get "good exp" in a merit party, you're the weakest link.
#140 Nov 04 2013 at 9:13 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,658 posts
Thayos wrote:
FFXIV's endgame community really does seem to suck.

I've only done one CM run and one Prae run... not even anything meant for gear beyond level 50... and the amount of impatience, whining and general prickery I've encountered already is SHOCKING.

Finger-pointing, name-calling, forced DCs, people complaining about gear choices... all in two runs.

The sad thing is, most people who play this game are fine. However, if there are enough bad apples to pack so much whiny drama into two randomly chosen runs, then... ****. I've read about this issue on the forums, but, honestly, I thought people were just being overly dramatic!

It really is that bad, isn't it?


It is not just end game.. I did a dungeon run yesterday that wasn't too hard of one. The tank was under leveled and under geared. I threw three cure3 on him and could not keep up and he blamed me. First boss was not tuff but yet the tank drew me out of mp. Every time he got hit it was for 75 percent of his HP plus he did not keep the mob facing away from the other party member's.... I blew threw Ifrit and Titan with no problems and this easy dungeon was a struggle then the tank leaves at the last boss...

Honestly I am behind because I have had to work allot lately. But now most of the good players are 50 and now stuck with this. I hope I can get some FC help to get to end game. I have not done much with them lately because of work and really feel like I am just playing catch up. I have been on too sporadically to be much help to them. I also feel I can be of help to the FC now things are slowing down.
Honestly I am wishing right now that I didn't pay up for 6 months. I am worried that I might get stuck.

I have met some really nice people in the game too but lately it is just been **** holes in most Duty finder matches.



Edited, Nov 4th 2013 10:19am by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#141 Nov 04 2013 at 9:17 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
Another weekend of excellent experiences with the End Game community.

Ran Wanderer's Palace and Ampador Keep, using the Duty Finder, so many times I actually hit that Myth cap.

Every single party was fun. In a couple of the parties, the players were not experienced, and we helped them through. At least once, the party collectively did not have the gear to win in AK. So we called it a "learning run" and just worked as far as we could to learn the tactics. Everyone left the party happy even though we did not win.

Ifrit HM, we had a tank flip out. But everyone else stayed calm. We discussed some tactics. Then the tank apologized and we went on to win!

So how about that?

I think this may be a case of seeing what you want to see. If so, I'm guilty. I want to see helpful, happy gamers playing FFXIV, and I do, everywhere I look.

Edited, Nov 4th 2013 10:46am by Gnu
#142 Nov 04 2013 at 11:22 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,622 posts
It seems to be getting better. When I reached 50 several weeks ago, all my lv 50 instances were horrible nightmares. I have been yelled at for being one shot by the adds on that instance where you just kill one boss (wtf), I've seen people stay at the entrance the entire time except they show up on the last boss to blow LB and make us wipe by starting before everyone is there, yelled at for not knowing my way around Castrum, etc etc. I almost quit the game.

Then I leveled another class, had almost all fantastic experiences spamming dungeons all the way to 50, and now that I'm in lv 50 entry content again, I have had only good experiences. I just hope it's not a fluke :)
____________________________

Nuit Midril - White Mage/Scholar on Ultros
Nuit the Insane! - Retired Druid on Sentinels.
Ombre - Retired Dragoon/bard on Phoenix.
#143 Nov 04 2013 at 4:13 PM Rating: Decent
*****
12,824 posts
I can see it improving because the endgame asshats tend to be the ones pushing for the fastest progress possible, hence why they are so highstrung and flip out when they are "forced" to deal with "failures". Again, not all, or even most, people who enjoy rushing content are asshats, just some. There are still others who will have abandoned DF to found their own elitist cliques and never again associate with "casuals" or "noobs". Over time, there are more of us (IE non-asshats) than them (IE asshats of all stripes).
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#144 Nov 04 2013 at 4:19 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
They also tend to be the first ones to not renew their subscription when they're distracted by the latest shiny. Thank God.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#145 Nov 04 2013 at 4:27 PM Rating: Good
*****
12,824 posts
Catwho wrote:
They also tend to be the first ones to not renew their subscription when they're distracted by the latest shiny. Thank God.

Especially if said shiny is free/in beta. Helps their "leet cred".

I enjoy not being mired in that right now. I know we might miss out on awesome gear, but the last thing I want is to turn my enjoyment into a second job... again. That; **** ended with FFXI.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#146 Nov 05 2013 at 9:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Now that I've been in the endgame scene for a few days, I'm pleased to say I've had better experiences... but still, I've seen way too many whiny, self-absorbed idiots.

My favorite was a guy who was so busy yelling at people during Ifrit HM, that he didn't get out of the way and died during a charge attack. Smiley: lol

We wiped, and he continued talking trash after we got back up, and he said something like, "I'm out of here," but he didn't leave. So I took it upon myself to ask why he'd been talking smack during the fight instead of doing his job, and then I pointed out he needed to shape up and not be petty for 5 to10 mins, or he could leave. I may or may not have told him to save the trash talk until after we won. Turns out, he didn't leave, and we beat Ifrit on the next attempt.

I've seen enough good people now to have more faith in playing with good people at endgame, but I'm still really shocked by the stupidity I've seen. And I'm not talking about newer endgame players who are still learning the fights... I'm talking about people who simply reroute power from their brains to their mouths (or, in this case, their typing). Good times.


Edited, Nov 5th 2013 7:57am by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#147 Nov 05 2013 at 11:58 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Glad to hear you have met some more positively focused players Thayos!

Good luck on that elusive Ifrit weapon drop.
#148 Nov 06 2013 at 1:00 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Medieve wrote:

It's not a mental illness, kid just needs an outlet. Probably doesn't do much else, so his sole release is online gaming. With it being such a safe bet there will be little to no repercussions to his actions that would affect him in a significant way, it's a fairly safe place to air your grievances. It's not so much a mental illness as much as parents don't teach kids how to properly express anger and negative emotions, so all kids know are the unhealthy extremes they see on TV in a lot of "reality" shows and programs. Grow up thinking that's the norm, and suffer no real punishment when you do it from the relative safety and anonymity of the internet, and it's not a stretch to see why that behavior is so prevalent today. Not really a mental illness though. Just a lack of education.


I disagree. That level of rage isn't just a kid who doesn't have an outlet for his emotions; it's a kid who has real problems that someone (himself, his parents, his friends\teachers) is avoiding. That's deep-seated trauma, not lack of an appropriate way to express anger. The simple fact that he can control himself when he's around other people shows that he knows this behavior isn't the right way to deal with his feelings, so it's clear that his parents did teach him how he is to handle social situations.

Something else is wrong, and he needs help.
#149 Nov 06 2013 at 2:11 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,658 posts
Nashred wrote:
Thayos wrote:
FFXIV's endgame community really does seem to suck.

I've only done one CM run and one Prae run... not even anything meant for gear beyond level 50... and the amount of impatience, whining and general prickery I've encountered already is SHOCKING.

Finger-pointing, name-calling, forced DCs, people complaining about gear choices... all in two runs.

The sad thing is, most people who play this game are fine. However, if there are enough bad apples to pack so much whiny drama into two randomly chosen runs, then... ****. I've read about this issue on the forums, but, honestly, I thought people were just being overly dramatic!

It really is that bad, isn't it?


It is not just end game.. I did a dungeon run yesterday that wasn't too hard of one. The tank was under leveled and under geared. I threw three cure3 on him and could not keep up and he blamed me. First boss was not tuff but yet the tank drew me out of mp. Every time he got hit it was for 75 percent of his HP plus he did not keep the mob facing away from the other party member's.... I blew threw Ifrit and Titan with no problems and this easy dungeon was a struggle then the tank leaves at the last boss...

Honestly I am behind because I have had to work allot lately. But now most of the good players are 50 and now stuck with this. I hope I can get some FC help to get to end game. I have not done much with them lately because of work and really feel like I am just playing catch up. I have been on too sporadically to be much help to them. I also feel I can be of help to the FC now things are slowing down.
Honestly I am wishing right now that I didn't pay up for 6 months. I am worried that I might get stuck.

I have met some really nice people in the game too but lately it is just been **** holes in most Duty finder matches.



Edited, Nov 4th 2013 10:19am by Nashred


Well I redid the dungeon last night and had a totally different experience.
Instead of being run out of mp and being ******* at for not keeping the tank alive. I pretty much kept regen on this tank except for boss fights.
We did fail one boss fight because of me, I made a judgement error during stun. But we got up and redid it. Anyway never was I close to being out of mp on this fight with this tank.

Point is use decent equipment it makes a big difference.

____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#150 Nov 06 2013 at 2:19 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
I find that "overcuring" drains my mp too. My MP made a big comeback when I started really paying attention to how much max HP the tank had vs how much HP my cures did, and I was often 'wasting' a whole hit or two. I've also found having regen on from soup to nuts helps a lot.

I'm not saying the gear thing isn't important too, just sharing some insights I've had recently.

Also, don't forget to use Divine Seal as often as you can, the cooldown isn't terribly long and it makes an appreciable difference :)
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#151 Nov 06 2013 at 2:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,658 posts
LebargeX wrote:
I find that "overcuring" drains my mp too. My MP made a big comeback when I started really paying attention to how much max HP the tank had vs how much HP my cures did, and I was often 'wasting' a whole hit or two. I've also found having regen on from soup to nuts helps a lot.

I'm not saying the gear thing isn't important too, just sharing some insights I've had recently.

Also, don't forget to use Divine Seal as often as you can, the cooldown isn't terribly long and it makes an appreciable difference :)


And dont forget Shroud of Saints which gives refresh..
Yea I am not new to healing I was a career whm in ffxi.
We also had a bard with refresh.

But I threw three cure3 on the guy and he still died and he blamed me for not keeping up cures on him... He was just getting hit for too much and he was horrible. He never kept the mobs facing away from us so there I am healing up everyone. The guy was fighting with one of the dd's the whole way. ..This last run was a breeze, I did nothing different and most dungeons have been a breeze.







Edited, Nov 6th 2013 3:41pm by Nashred

Edited, Nov 6th 2013 3:41pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 75 All times are in CST
Nashred, Anonymous Guests (74)