Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

My name is not Tank!Follow

#1 Oct 29 2013 at 4:25 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
514 posts
Yes, though this post will probably be short-lived, this is a rant and sort of a pet peeve.

My names is Deimos, or Dei for short. I can't express in text how annoying and degrading it is to be classified as by only your class or job. I even have enough respect to call you by your characters names. This isn't just me too, I see it all the time, "WTF Class/Job,""How's it going Class/Job""Hurry up Class/Job." Whether Friendly, Jokingly, or Offensively, it is quite annoying.

Also!! Morbol Fruit cures Bad Breath if you get hit with it. Smiley: schooled
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#2 Oct 29 2013 at 4:27 PM Rating: Excellent
**
598 posts
Demonadrastos wrote:
Yes, though this post will probably be short-lived, this is a rant and sort of a pet peeve.

My names is Deimos, or Dei for short. I can't express in text how annoying and degrading it is to be classified as by only your class or job. I even have enough respect to call you by your characters names. This isn't just me too, I see it all the time, "WTF Class/Job,""How's it going Class/Job""Hurry up Class/Job." Whether Friendly, Jokingly, or Offensively, it is quite annoying.

Also!! Morbol Fruit cures Bad Breath if you get hit with it. Smiley: schooled



Go home Tank. You're drunk!

Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#3 Oct 29 2013 at 4:30 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
514 posts
Not yet I'm not....
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#4 Oct 29 2013 at 4:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
826 posts
Demonadrastos wrote:
Yes, though this post will probably be short-lived, this is a rant and sort of a pet peeve.

My names is Deimos, or Dei for short. I can't express in text how annoying and degrading it is to be classified as by only your class or job. I even have enough respect to call you by your characters names. This isn't just me too, I see it all the time, "WTF Class/Job,""How's it going Class/Job""Hurry up Class/Job." Whether Friendly, Jokingly, or Offensively, it is quite annoying.

Also!! Morbol Fruit cures Bad Breath if you get hit with it. Smiley: schooled


I hear you on this. I want to physically smack someone who says 'XXXX do this/be this/LB this BLM". I have an easy name, and it's not hard to type the first four letters of it. It irritates me equally as much as if someone in real life calls me 'guy'. 'Hey guy'. *skincrawl*
____________________________
Jerri Blank (Strangers with Candy):
"I may still be doing all the wrong things, but now i'm doing them the right way!"
#5 Oct 29 2013 at 4:43 PM Rating: Good
**
438 posts
My pet peeve as a healer is when the DDs start asking why this or that person died.

STFU, Monk. Your only job is to stand there, flail your arms wildly, and get cleaved. Leave the talking to the grown ups.

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 6:44pm by garethrogue
____________________________
Star Swirl on Behemoth AKA Best-hemoth AKA The Cool Kid's Table----60AST, 60WHM, 60SCH/SMN, 60BLM, 60MNK, 38 PLD, 34DRG, 31NIN, 27MRD
FFXI- Derpypony on Asura
Check out the Dream Network, a Twitch.tv community for XIV fans, featuring notable streamers like Mr. Happy, MTQcapture, Rahhzay, and Slyakagreyfox! http://dreamnetwork.tv/forum/index.php
Then maybe check out myself, EquestriaGuy, on twitch at http://www.twitch.tv/equestriaguy


#6 Oct 29 2013 at 5:13 PM Rating: Excellent
In one of my nightmare parties the other day, a DPS got sealed out of a fight because he wasn't paying attention. I was tasked with rounding up the adds and holding them while DPS AOE'd them down, and the DPS couldn't kill fast enough (being down 25 percent damage) before the "big" add appeared, which I then had to tank away from the group. In doing so, I lost hate on the other adds, and we ended up wiping.

I got lots of ridicule for that, even though the DPS unit was at fault for not being able to quickly mow down those adds before Daddy Add appeared.

Didn't help that the whm was spamming Medica, and I had to spam flash just to keep the mobs on me, causing me to run out of MP.

But yeah... sometimes, DPS players need to stop pointing fingers outward, and realize they may be their own common threads in bad experiences.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#7 Oct 29 2013 at 5:34 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,825 posts
Depending on the persons name it's just easier to use 3 letters to target your discussion, especially when in a hurry. If we're just chatting or in between movement phases I'll use a persons name or shortened version of it.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#8 Oct 29 2013 at 5:39 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
514 posts
Think that's bad? I mark my pulls for a reason when necessary and flash sparingly so as not to deplete all my MP for the next mob. The DPS and I are on the mob marked #1, the SCH or THM(dont remember) was blasting #3, The Healer is then forced to cure both ME and the Magic DPSer that pulled #3 out of flash AoE range and starts going after the Healer who is forced to heal both me and the other mage. Next thing I hear is "WTF Tank." Calling me by my job and putting all the blame on me.

Edit:;: Calling someone by their Job is lazy and rude.

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 7:42pm by Demonadrastos
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#9 Oct 29 2013 at 5:53 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,825 posts
It is not lazy nor rude if the situation dictates that WAR/PLD or whatever are quicker and more efficient to type in the middle of battle. We aren't friends, this is DF... likely we won't run into each other very often, I'm not going to type your name in the heat of battle IF I even have to type at all.

Do you fully type peoples names, the one's with multiple ' in them? Just curious. And don't say you just call them by the first few letters of their name, because I bet some one will think that is equally rude.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#10 Oct 29 2013 at 6:04 PM Rating: Good
*****
12,824 posts
OMG I HAVE A NAME! WHY AM I JUST AN OBJECT TO YOU?!?!??

*runs from the room crying*
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#11 Oct 29 2013 at 6:04 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
514 posts
However rude one may think it is(though far and wide), It still shows that you acknowledge that person as a person and not as a job. I am a person, I am not a job.

I am not requesting you to type out my full game name as it would be a pain in the ***. Simply typing Deimos or even simply Dei is more than acceptable. Groups work better together regardless of random setups when you acknowledge the people there as people, even if you will likely never meet again. It also improves the atmosphere.
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#12 Oct 29 2013 at 6:08 PM Rating: Excellent
No one is going to type out my character's name.. Healer & Heals is just fine..

Name:
Screenshot

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 7:11pm by Sandinmygum
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a |
#13 Oct 29 2013 at 6:14 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
514 posts
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
No one is going to type out my character's name.. Healer & Heals is just fine..

Name:
Screenshot

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 7:11pm by Sandinmygum


ermm.... Dih? Mono? Dimo> Dimono? Hydro? =)
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#14 Oct 29 2013 at 6:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,825 posts
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
No one is going to type out my character's name.. Healer & Heals is just fine..

Name:
Screenshot

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 7:11pm by Sandinmygum


But it stings!
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#15 Oct 29 2013 at 6:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Perrin wrote:
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
No one is going to type out my character's name.. Healer & Heals is just fine..

Name:
Screenshot

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 7:11pm by Sandinmygum


But it stings!


How you know it is working. or it is really hot.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a |
#16 Oct 29 2013 at 6:40 PM Rating: Good
***
2,081 posts
OP: This is a major pet peeve of mine as well. Yes, I understand in the heat of battle type whatever is most efficient, but that's generally not the times that it bothers me. We should afford one another a certain level of respect, and calling one by one's name seems like fairly common practice that should be adopted, even by an online gaming community.

Also, as far as another poster's comment about “this is DF, we aren't friends, we won't run into each other again“. Firstly, I frequently run into people on DF that I have played with before. I think that is besides the point though. Just because I may not run into someone again in life, that shouldn't give me a license to not show them a certain level of respect. I've said it many times on these forums, but building positive group dynamics in a MMO community comes from very small gestures. People are often in too much of a rush to care.
____________________________


#17 Oct 29 2013 at 6:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
265 posts
I have to say, I'm currently playing on PS3 without a keyboard, and me typing anyones name with a controller is not gonna happen, ever.
____________________________
Crasy of Alexander, Member of SplatRangers

Monk. Need I say more?
[ffxivsig]1529088[/ffxivsig]
#18 Oct 29 2013 at 6:49 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
448 posts
Hence my character name is short, sweet and easy to type. I have never been called by my job because TOO MANY KEYSTROKES SLOWING MY TIME BRO!!
____________________________
"We're getting close, real close. And now for some more bad news... Ready?"
-- Egg Shen
#19 Oct 29 2013 at 6:54 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
514 posts
DrCapricious wrote:
OP: This is a major pet peeve of mine as well. Yes, I understand in the heat of battle type whatever is most efficient, but that's generally not the times that it bothers me. We should afford one another a certain level of respect, and calling one by one's name seems like fairly common practice that should be adopted, even by an online gaming community.

Also, as far as another poster's comment about “this is DF, we aren't friends, we won't run into each other again“. Firstly, I frequently run into people on DF that I have played with before. I think that is besides the point though. Just because I may not run into someone again in life, that shouldn't give me a license to not show them a certain level of respect. I've said it many times on these forums, but building positive group dynamics in a MMO community comes from very small gestures. People are often in too much of a rush to care.


Couldn't agree more. =)

crasyk wrote:
I have to say, I'm currently playing on PS3 without a keyboard, and me typing anyones name with a controller is not gonna happen, ever.


Understandable, though I would advise investing in a simple $15-$20 keyboard, because there will be times when communication is key.
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#20 Oct 29 2013 at 7:07 PM Rating: Excellent
**
598 posts
I'm simply astonished that this is a real issue. I'm impressed to say the least.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#21 Oct 29 2013 at 7:16 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
514 posts
Small things can make a big difference.
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#22 Oct 29 2013 at 7:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,150 posts
If you're not enjoying the group, then leave.....tanks/healers can do that. If you're DD, don't annoy the tank/healer or they'll probably leave. Simple concept really.
____________________________
FFXIV
Deadpool Xrage (Ultros)
Eriston Xrage (Ultros)

FFXI
Eriston
Siren - 75Bst/75Whm/75Rng (Retired June 2010)


Gone surfin'
#23 Oct 29 2013 at 7:19 PM Rating: Excellent
ShindaUsagi wrote:
I'm simply astonished that this is a real issue. I'm impressed to say the least.


I got use to it during WoW, so it totally doesn't bother me anymore. Use to do the 1st 3 or 4 letters of a name if it was longer then 6, but yea..in WoW they would just throw around Tank and Heal to denote who was being talked to.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a |
#24 Oct 29 2013 at 7:36 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
180 posts
Tank, are you on a role playing server? If not I don't see what the issue is at all...chances are you characters name isn't your real name so its not really rude to refer to you by you job choice as opposed to your nickname choice.

In fact Tank I find it rude when people force me to call them by their nicknames

Furthermore if we looked at it from a roleplaying perspective you could argue that since we are assigned duty we could be strangers tasked with completing an event...and very likely to not have time for pleasant greetings before we begin battle...in the heat of said battle my character would likely not remember your name and refer to you by the role you were playing in the fight...think war zone enemies everywhere soldier yells "doctor can you help me?" the Doctor wouldn't walk up and say yes but my name is Chuck FFS...

So Tank I think you're being a little over the top here...

-Dragoon
#25 Oct 29 2013 at 7:40 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
12,824 posts
Demonadrastos wrote:
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
No one is going to type out my character's name.. Healer & Heals is just fine..

Name:
Screenshot

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 7:11pm by Sandinmygum


ermm.... Dih? Mono? Dimo> Dimono? Hydro? =)



OMG, WET, what are you doing?
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#26 Oct 29 2013 at 9:29 PM Rating: Decent
4 posts
I'd like to agree, but unfortunately with speed and rarity of running into the same people in df...people don't want to take the time. Everything's about speed and repetition. People get extremely bored of always doing the same thing which leads to a sense of laziness. I normally que up as a tank and by the time we actually get to a point where we need something, something someone isn't doing or is doing, sometimes it can be faster to just say the job. I normally try and judge gear, job/party setup, names right as dungeons start up, but a lot of the times you can go several dungeons with just "gg" at the end. So if in the middle of a fight I'm tanking, it may just be I know we have a blm in the party and need them to LB, sometimes name sometime just need that person to do their job. If everyone's doing it right, most don't say anything at all. Now in server groups appear to get a lot more communication and attention to details. In 8 man + with random is even worse. Why is always loved 11. There was an accountability not only to performance but to etiquette/Personal behavior. People were held accountable more. Now it's as simple of dropping party and forgetting the annoyances. Shame really. Can't wait for that in server que or organization to hit. People watch their behavior much more when they know their rep is held accountable.
#27 Oct 29 2013 at 11:14 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
514 posts
Who would have though that asking to have ones name to not be referred to as a job would turn into such a touchy subject. As for DF, yes, chances are, you will only see those people once, but following simple gestures by referring to someone by their name or even a short simple nickname that shows that you acknowledge that person as a person and not as a tool. Small, quick, easy, 1-2 seconds gestures like that can spread like the plague and improve the overall quality of the community.

(slightly off topic)Sad thing about DF, because chances are you will only see those people once, this gives people an excuse to be royal asshat, and you see it all the time being posted on the many FFXIV forums. These actions also spread like that plague causing one person to be an asshat just because it happened to them, or because they also feel it would do no harm when this also bring down overall quality of the community.

Edit:;: RP server or not, makes no difference, we wouldn't have gone through the trouble of thinking up names to use for our characters if we didn't want to use them. I can understand people like Sandi who came from WoW, are use to things a certain way, it wouldn't bother them if it follows them to another MMO. Fair Enough. I on the other hand came from FFXI, and in the years that I've played, I have never once been referred to as Tank, PLD, NIN, THF, etc. I was always referred to as DA, Dem, Demo, Demon, Adra, moslty because my name was a pain in the *** to type, but they had the respect to call me by even a nickname and I respected them back as such.

Edited, Oct 30th 2013 1:24am by Demonadrastos

Edited, Oct 30th 2013 1:25am by Demonadrastos
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#28 Oct 29 2013 at 11:30 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,239 posts
I know I want to refer I the tank. My fingers can easily do t-a-n-k without having to look at your character's name and then spell it. Get over it for your own good.
#29 Oct 29 2013 at 11:59 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
514 posts
Sigue wrote:
I know I want to refer I the tank. My fingers can easily do t-a-n-k without having to look at your character's name and then spell it. Get over it for your own good.


Ah I see. My fingers can easily type S-i-q-u-e or S-i-q in just a couple seconds just by barely glancing at your name at the top left corner of my enormous screen. Get over it for your own good.
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#30 Oct 30 2013 at 12:06 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
I actually had this in a party recently. It wasn't directed at me but we were in WP on the last boss and the PLD hadn't said anything the entire run. The LB gauge is full and we're ready to use it so he's like, "LNC use the LB".

I mean...if you're not going to use his name, at least use the correct job he's on currently?
#31 Oct 30 2013 at 12:14 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
514 posts
Situations like that, I can understand, mainly only for job specific actions to reduce confusion. I often forget who is on what job, but things like "Use LNC/PLD/BLM LB" help communicate what is needed for the moment. But if he/she is referred to as LNC the entire run then... Old habits I suppose.
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#32 Oct 30 2013 at 12:38 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,598 posts
Refews wrote:
Hence my character name is short, sweet and easy to type. I have never been called by my job because TOO MANY KEYSTROKES SLOWING MY TIME BRO!!

My charater's first name is Kin. Seriously, three letters. People still insist on referring to her by job, sometimes even typing out the entire thing. It's baffling.

And on a more general topic note, people are allowed to be annoyed. It's okay. This one happens to annoy me too. It's impersonal and honestly a little derogatory, as though one can't deign to bother with a name.


edit: I feel I should clarify, I feel a lot less antagonistic toward this habit in larger, eight-man groups. Especially in things like primal runs—which are likely to be fairly brief, with an in-and-out mentality—not having time to learn names or keep them straight is a lot more understandable. In small, four-man instances, though...

Edited, Oct 30th 2013 1:47am by Kouren
____________________________
Kin Jehn : Behemoth
#33 Oct 30 2013 at 1:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
356 posts
Alot of the times I will say in chat "DD use LB" but only because I dont know which of the two damage dealers should use/know how to use limit break and ive usually got my hands full tanking the boss or whatnot.
#34 Oct 30 2013 at 2:26 AM Rating: Decent
42 posts
i dont talk at all in random groups - i actually let ppl play and experiance the game for themselves instead of trying to tell them how to do it my way =P
____________________________


#35 Oct 30 2013 at 4:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
65 posts
The topic is not realistic these days... but to be honest, i like what youre saying. Rate up from me Dei.
#36 Oct 30 2013 at 5:51 AM Rating: Good
*
129 posts
This is all very complicated and touchy. I just macro "Someone do a thing at some point." and press that when I want someone to do a thing at some point. It's faster and saves specifying what thing and when and who.

Edited, Oct 30th 2013 7:51am by Furiousnixon
____________________________
- The artist usually known as Angrynixon
#37 Oct 30 2013 at 5:56 AM Rating: Good
***
1,270 posts
If you play with mostly DF, accept the fact that no one is going to use your name. Its far easier and more simple to say DD stand here, tank/pal/war stand here. They give us your class icon for a reason. I dont need to know your name to tell you what you should be doing in a fight.

Im sorry you get offended by this, but in the end, if you want people to use ur name, stop using DF and start grouping with an FC or LS.
#38 Oct 30 2013 at 6:09 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
If they're lazy enough to not use my name, chances are they are going to be too lazy to perform their job properly later on.

Which is what I've seen a majority of the time. If you are starting an Ifrit HM and have multiple BLMs, you don't say "BLM LB the nails" you specify the person you want to be in charge of doing that. This goes for many other encounters.

"Tank I want you to tank boss; other tank, I want you to off tank this add". So...which tank are you addressing?

You can shorten my name down to Hit very easily. No reason to be that lazy.
#39 Oct 30 2013 at 6:55 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
crasyk wrote:
I have to say, I'm currently playing on PS3 without a keyboard, and me typing anyones name with a controller is not gonna happen, ever.


This is my situation too... I barely talk at all in the game because it's a huge chore just to say anything, much less hold a decent conversation or type out full names.
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#40 Oct 30 2013 at 7:31 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
575 posts
garethrogue wrote:
My pet peeve as a healer is when the DDs start asking why this or that person died.

STFU, Monk. Your only job is to stand there, flail your arms wildly, and get cleaved. Leave the talking to the grown ups.

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 6:44pm by garethrogue


My pet peeve is players who chose to play healers or tanks because they think it comes with being respected. There is a good chance that Monk knows that guy died because you weren't doing your job up to par, but was nice enough to give you the benefit of the doubt.
#41 Oct 30 2013 at 7:39 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
265 posts
Demonadrastos wrote:
DrCapricious wrote:
OP: This is a major pet peeve of mine as well. Yes, I understand in the heat of battle type whatever is most efficient, but that's generally not the times that it bothers me. We should afford one another a certain level of respect, and calling one by one's name seems like fairly common practice that should be adopted, even by an online gaming community.

Also, as far as another poster's comment about “this is DF, we aren't friends, we won't run into each other again“. Firstly, I frequently run into people on DF that I have played with before. I think that is besides the point though. Just because I may not run into someone again in life, that shouldn't give me a license to not show them a certain level of respect. I've said it many times on these forums, but building positive group dynamics in a MMO community comes from very small gestures. People are often in too much of a rush to care.


Couldn't agree more. =)

crasyk wrote:
I have to say, I'm currently playing on PS3 without a keyboard, and me typing anyones name with a controller is not gonna happen, ever.


Understandable, though I would advise investing in a simple $15-$20 keyboard, because there will be times when communication is key.


At some point I will yes, but for the times when communication is key, I preffer voice com over typing since typing would stil slow me down in-game. For those other times, I trust ppl know what they're doing, or someone else does ._.
____________________________
Crasy of Alexander, Member of SplatRangers

Monk. Need I say more?
[ffxivsig]1529088[/ffxivsig]
#42 Oct 30 2013 at 8:56 AM Rating: Excellent
*
140 posts
I think I'll create a new character and name him 'Tank' but play a WHM. That should cause some confusion. Smiley: smile
#43 Oct 30 2013 at 9:09 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
514 posts
Seems like a few people don't like me lol

Crasyk - I prefer keyboard over voice chat for good reason, but it work out in either case. Eventually, I would say get a keyboard, but it's not something so important unless you ever find a moment that you want to get your point across if voice sin't available atm.

Hitome - I agree with everything, lazyness not to take 1 second(all it takes) to type out the first 3-4 letters of a person's name could translate to how they perform their job. As well as situations where you do have multiples of the same job available, and both have different gear, different stat allocations, and your sending the the message "LNC use LB", and the lower stat LNC hit's the button or neither is sure. Simply typing out the first few letters will not only prevent confusion, but till improve communication.

Hairspray - Your situation, fair enough, but that mindset, we get that from people who do user keyboards, and the thing is, through the entire thread, the request hasn't been to type out full names(First and last or just first), just the first few letters to show that you acknowledge the person.

Dustin - They give you class/job icons so you know "who" is on said class/job, not to treat it as someones name. SE gave us the ability to creates names for a reason.

Edited, Oct 30th 2013 11:20am by Demonadrastos
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#44 Oct 30 2013 at 9:22 AM Rating: Excellent
4 posts
squiress wrote:
I think I'll create a new character and name him 'Tank' but play a WHM. That should cause some confusion. Smiley: smile


name it "Tank Healer" but play as MNK. see how it goes. ROFL


#45 Oct 30 2013 at 10:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Demonadrastos wrote:
Hitome - I agree with everything, lazyness not to take 1 second(all it takes) to type out the first 3-4 letters of a person's name could translate to how they perform their job. As well as situations where you do have multiples of the same job available, and both have different gear, different stat allocations, and your sending the the message "LNC use LB", and the lower stat LNC hit's the button or neither is sure. Simply typing out the first few letters will not only prevent confusion, but till improve communication.


Not an issue with Limit Breaks being based on the entire parties combined weapon damage (although it is possible that it may be combined weapon level) and not the users stats, in fact it would be preferable to have the less geared person use the LB so the better geared person can keep up their more damaging rotation. But that is an aside....

I must say that in FFXI it was significantly less prevelent to refer to people by jobs, but I think that was due to the pacing differences to combat versus FFXIV where it is significantly more spammy. That being said it still did happen a fair bit, although typically in a less derogatory sense than I feel role descriptors are being used for in FFXIV. In FFXI it was typically something like "SMN use 2 hour" or "BLM Sleep" or some other time sensitive message typed quickly. In FFXIV it's typically used when someone is doing something "wrong" in party, which is the reason I dislike it's use. Typically in combat I will type a 3 letter abreviation for job with something short just due to time constraints (and playing with a gamepad requires me to reliquish either my movement hand/d-pad or my ABXY buttons to type) however outside of combat I try to use peoples names. It's a really simple thing that shows you actually care about the people in your party even if you don't, if it makes them enjoy playing more they are not only more likely to play well, but also take feedback on potential improvements as well.
____________________________
[quote]Capitalism Ho, ******************************************************************************** in /K/ where /K/lik is the new spam.[/url][/b]
Try out Eve free for a few weeks :D
#46 Oct 30 2013 at 10:30 AM Rating: Excellent
****
5,745 posts
If I was playing a game of pick up basketball with a bunch of guys that I may never see again after the game, I don't expect them to learn my name and remember it while we're playing. If they come up with some nickname to easily identify me in the middle of the action, that seems reasonable.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#47 Oct 30 2013 at 11:11 AM Rating: Decent
4 posts
Heck I see it a lot now that in tomb grinds via df, people just say "dps" lb or "dps" your on adds. Same with healer or tank and not even job specific request. It just doesn't matter. The df takes all communication out and people just mindlessly grind the tombs. Probably why when something does go wrong they get even more annoyed since they have to actually type something. Like I said, hopefully more fc/in server grinds, raids, dungeons or zones come out.
#48 Oct 30 2013 at 1:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,825 posts
Hey OP...












Did that offend you too?
*edit* missed the smiley posting via dumb phone

Edited, Oct 30th 2013 7:37pm by Perrin
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#49 Oct 30 2013 at 1:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
this is akin to the "Its not toon/DPs its character/DD" argument. you've every right to be annoyed by it, but sound like a tool if you actually complain about it because really, it doesn't matter. I used to feel miffed when random puggers couldnt be bothered to type out my character name, but then i caught myself doing it purely for the sake of saving time and realized i'd been taking it way too personal. its one of those texty things that sounds really rude even though it isnt meant to be.

____________________________
monk
dragoon
[ffxivsig]477065[/ffxivsig]
#50 Oct 30 2013 at 2:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
No one is going to type out my character's name.. Healer & Heals is just fine..

Name:
Screenshot

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 7:11pm by Sandinmygum


Eaaaassssyyyyyyy there Mr Water
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#51 Oct 30 2013 at 2:25 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
crasyk wrote:
I have to say, I'm currently playing on PS3 without a keyboard, and me typing anyones name with a controller is not gonna happen, ever.


Keyboards are cheap.
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 78 All times are in CST
Karlina, Anonymous Guests (77)