Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

My name is not Tank!Follow

#52 Oct 30 2013 at 3:54 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
161 posts
I find this whole subject very funny...how are people getting upset/offended that people are using jobs as a way to communicate?

I get it its not the most polite way to refer to someone but its not really impolite either its neutral as neutral can be (oxy moron?)

Its not like someone is saying A-hole grab the adds or moron mage sleep the links...

How sensitive are you to be upset about this?
#53 Oct 30 2013 at 3:56 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
161 posts
Gnu wrote:
crasyk wrote:
I have to say, I'm currently playing on PS3 without a keyboard, and me typing anyones name with a controller is not gonna happen, ever.


Keyboards are cheap.


Also let's not rip on the guy for not having a keyboard...I'm sure he realizes that it would be easier for him with one but maybe he doesn't have 20 bucks sitting around atm...

#54 Oct 30 2013 at 7:45 PM Rating: Decent
****
5,745 posts
TheAnf wrote:
Gnu wrote:
crasyk wrote:
I have to say, I'm currently playing on PS3 without a keyboard, and me typing anyones name with a controller is not gonna happen, ever.

Keyboards are cheap.

Also let's not rip on the guy for not having a keyboard...I'm sure he realizes that it would be easier for him with one but maybe he doesn't have 20 bucks sitting around atm...

First world problems: someone who can afford a subscription based MMO, but can't afford a $20 keyboard.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#55 Oct 30 2013 at 8:27 PM Rating: Good
**
438 posts
Vawn43 wrote:
garethrogue wrote:
My pet peeve as a healer is when the DDs start asking why this or that person died.

STFU, Monk. Your only job is to stand there, flail your arms wildly, and get cleaved. Leave the talking to the grown ups.

Edited, Oct 29th 2013 6:44pm by garethrogue


My pet peeve is players who chose to play healers or tanks because they think it comes with being respected. There is a good chance that Monk knows that guy died because you weren't doing your job up to par, but was nice enough to give you the benefit of the doubt.


No, now let's use an example.

If the BRDs get behind on the Turn 1 snake boss in BC, and the tank is taking more damage than I can heal for, and die, I don't want to hear about how ****** the healers are.

If someone is ignoring mechanics, and taking loads of unnecessary damage, or attacking the wrong target, I don't want to hear from a DD how ****** the healing is.

Basically if you're making ******* presumptions, based in ignorance, while you or someone else is just wantonly undermining the group's chances of success, I don't want to hear about how it's MY fault.

____________________________
Star Swirl on Behemoth AKA Best-hemoth AKA The Cool Kid's Table----60AST, 60WHM, 60SCH/SMN, 60BLM, 60MNK, 38 PLD, 34DRG, 31NIN, 27MRD
FFXI- Derpypony on Asura
Check out the Dream Network, a Twitch.tv community for XIV fans, featuring notable streamers like Mr. Happy, MTQcapture, Rahhzay, and Slyakagreyfox! http://dreamnetwork.tv/forum/index.php
Then maybe check out myself, EquestriaGuy, on twitch at http://www.twitch.tv/equestriaguy


#56 Oct 31 2013 at 12:01 AM Rating: Decent
42 posts
Sorry, OP, but saying "tank" or "heals" or "dps" is faster for alot of players and lets everyone in the group know faster to whom you are referring durring the heat of battle - roles are ingrained in gamers, personal names are not

if you want to play with ppl who want to be personal with you, play with your friends and FC mates, not random strangers who prolly just want to play the game, not get to know everyone they play with
#57 Oct 31 2013 at 8:56 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
514 posts
To say it is faster for people to know your job over who you are referring to also says you aren't very observant of the people around you. You are basically waiting for someone to tell you what jobs are in the party with you because it would be too slow for you to look for yourself."BLM sleep the mobs," now you know you have a BLM. But how did that person know that you had a BLM in the party. I wonder, could it be the icon directly next to the players name? No, that couldn't be, it's too simple and not fast enough. I think SE has made the game fast enough to the point where we don't need to increase it.

One of the many complaints about FFXIV is that the pace is so fast, that there is no time to make friends, make conversation, actually enjoy the time you are spending with random people you may or may not ever see again. Because even in DF, you will never end up with 1 or more people who shares the same Server as you. We complain yet we make no attempt to do anything about it, instead we blame SE or DF. Why are you(those who don't want to acknowledge the people around them) playing an MMORPG?

Excuse:;: This is not an RP server.
You are playing an RPG.

Excuse:;: DF.
In my main post, did I mention DF?

Excuse:;: Not Fast enough.
SE doesn't need your help.

Excuse:;: That how it is, get over it.
I don't have a one track mind that seeks to close everyone out, get over it.

Excuse:;: Friends and FC
Sure, fair enough, but Friends and FC aren't cages meant to keep you from enjoying the company of random people you may or may not see again.



Edited, Oct 31st 2013 10:58pm by Demonadrastos
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#58 Oct 31 2013 at 10:27 PM Rating: Decent
42 posts
Demonadrastos wrote:
You are basically waiting for someone to tell you what jobs are in the party with you


Wrong. There will always be one tank, one healer and two DD or two tanks, two healers and four DD in any DF group. That is easily recalled, personal names are not.

Sorry, but expecting every random stranger who plays the game to be personal to YOU is not going to happen all the time and you will just have to deal with the players whom do not to wish to get to know you if you decide to play with random strangers.

Also, no one is making any excuses, random strangers are sharing why they do it because that is the subject of this thread and stating that is how they are going to play and that if anyone does not like it, they are free to leave any DF group they happen to be in.

In other words, if you decide to play with random strangers, you can either deal with some of them wanting to remain random strangers or you can leave the group - them's your choices.

Edited, Nov 1st 2013 2:56am by Gopi
#59 Nov 01 2013 at 8:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,256 posts
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
No one is going to type out my character's name.. Healer & Heals is just fine..

Name:
Screenshot
I'd probably start with something simple. "Ecchi Two the Oh", "Aquamemnon" and other such things, but eventually I'd probably just end up calling you Haqua. I'm not really sure why that would be where I settled, but somehow I just get that feeling.


Edit: Topically: I've always been called by my role in PuGs in several games that I've played, with almost no one using my character's name. It's mildly annoying, but you'll give yourself an aneurysm worrying about it too much.

Edited, Nov 1st 2013 8:53am by Poldaran
#60 Nov 01 2013 at 9:01 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
why thread continue
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#61 Nov 01 2013 at 4:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,033 posts
That's just the way it is with the way DF works. People are going to be curt because they don't know you, there's no social aspect, you're just a role. Unless you're teamed up with people you know we all just treat each other like automatons.
#62 Nov 01 2013 at 4:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
44 posts
garethrogue wrote:
My pet peeve as a healer is when the DDs start asking why this or that person died.

STFU, Monk. Your only job is to stand there, flail your arms wildly, and get cleaved. Leave the talking to the grown ups.

This is purely false and a gross oversimplification: there's some kicking, too.

On a more serious note, when people ask why someone died I always just tell them, simply and exactly: "You died because you stood in <blank>.", "He died because I don't have mana to heal other people when the tank is eating all the breaths.", etc.
____________________________
Cross-Class Skill Sheet
Kawaii rate me down
#63 Nov 01 2013 at 5:13 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
514 posts
Gopi wrote:
Demonadrastos wrote:
You are basically waiting for someone to tell you what jobs are in the party with you


Wrong. There will always be one tank, one healer and two DD or two tanks, two healers and four DD in any DF group. That is easily recalled, personal names are not.

Sorry, but expecting every random stranger who plays the game to be personal to YOU is not going to happen all the time and you will just have to deal with the players whom do not to wish to get to know you if you decide to play with random strangers.

Also, no one is making any excuses, random strangers are sharing why they do it because that is the subject of this thread and stating that is how they are going to play and that if anyone does not like it, they are free to leave any DF group they happen to be in.

In other words, if you decide to play with random strangers, you can either deal with some of them wanting to remain random strangers or you can leave the group - them's your choices.

Edited, Nov 1st 2013 2:56am by Gopi


Since I'm wrong and we are still pointing fingers at only DF
Tank = GLA, WAR, PLD
DD = WAR, PUG, MNK, DRG, LNC, ARCH, THA, BLM, SMN
Healer = CNJ, WHM,
Somewhere in the mix = ARC, BRD, SCH

I still say you don't know who or what is in your group because is it too much work to look at the corner of your screen. Also, from the very beginning, my pet peeve was my job being used as my name, not to know them on a personal level. Sure I don't mind getting chummy with a complete stranger, however that neither here nor there. But, since you know what the post is about, I'm sure you knew that.
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#64 Nov 04 2013 at 10:11 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
Why is the Tank complaining again?


(Hahahaha?) Not funny? Needs moar humor.


Edited, Nov 4th 2013 11:14am by Gnu
#65 Nov 04 2013 at 11:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
265 posts
Just entered a WP in DF and got "Hi Tank" the second i spawned, I laughed for the entire run. Smiley: lol
____________________________
Crasy of Alexander, Member of SplatRangers

Monk. Need I say more?

#66 Nov 04 2013 at 12:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,033 posts
crasyk wrote:
Just entered a WP in DF and got "Hi Tank" the second i spawned, I laughed for the entire run. Smiley: lol


Yeah, I at least use the person's name. Especially the healer, considering he/she is the one keeping me alive.
#67 Nov 04 2013 at 12:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
32 posts

"his name is robert paulson"
#68 Nov 04 2013 at 4:58 PM Rating: Good
*****
12,824 posts
It would be a riot to see an 8 man party all named variations on Robert Paulson.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 72 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (72)