Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Just wanna say how nice it is hereFollow

#1 Nov 05 2013 at 1:52 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
506 posts
Back in the halcyon days of FFXI, my LS and I often used Alla as a resource while simultaneously bemoaning the forum community as by-and-large asshats. The days of epic HNMLS drama, et al. That changed over the years as the game simmered down.

But my god.... The official SE FFXIV forums are the Mos Eisley of the Internet. I can't imagine how those people remember to breathe in between insults and self-aggrandizement. Never in my life have I seen so much bad attitude and outright resentment between players. Alla is slow, but the content is an absolute paradise in comparison. Even GFAQs is better by miles.

Who the **** are these people and where did they come from?

Keep rocking on, Allakhazam. You've got it right as far as a community.
____________________________
PSO: HUnewearl 181, FOnewearl 129, RAcaseal 121

FFXI: SMN/RDM 82, SAM/RNG 74, BLU/WAR 62, RDM/WAR 52, BST/WAR 49

FFXIV: SMN 50 (i102), SCH 50 (i94), WAR 50 (i94), BLM 50 (i99), BRD 50 (i94), CUL 50 (i55 ★★★), CRP 50 (i55 ★★★), WVR 50 (i55 ★★★), BTN 50 (i52), GLD 26 (in progress)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3335279/

Master Summoner from Lakshmi, hailing from the worlds of Ragol and Vana'diel.
If you ain't crazy, you ain't a Summoner!
#2 Nov 05 2013 at 2:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Quote:
The official SE FFXIV forums are the Mos Eisley of the Internet.


Aaaaaaand that's a new sig quote. Thanks!
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#3 Nov 05 2013 at 2:30 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
327 posts
There are 3 types of people on the SE Forums:

1. The Elitist - This guy leveled to 50 within 4 hours of 2.0 being released. He has spent the last 2 months acquiring all the gear he can from Coil and berating those he encounter in Duty Finder AK/WP Runs for not having a Relic+1 and Full DL. Comes to the SE Forums to complain about how noobs taking 2 minutes longer to clear AK need to be removed from the game.

2. The Balancing Act - Comes to the forums namely griping about the rewards granted by the FATE System. Doesn't want anything nerfed but wants equality amongst the leveling paths. Hopes that the increased XP from Dungeons being introduced will assist players learning their jobs in a party setting instead of a "One Push I Win Button"

3. The New Guy - Comes to the forums asking for help even for some of the most obvious questions. Usually victimized by the Elitist and told to "L2P" is usually defended by The Balancing Act hoping to make a good player out of him.
____________________________
Oxide Vanwen

Server: Ultros

Free Company: Terra Sails

The Paragon of White Mage Excellence From Final Fantasies XI - XIV
#4 Nov 05 2013 at 2:41 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
GavilrainOfGaruda wrote:
There are 3 types of people on the SE Forums:

1. The Elitist - This guy leveled to 50 within 4 hours of 2.0 being released. He has spent the last 2 months acquiring all the gear he can from Coil and berating those he encounter in Duty Finder AK/WP Runs for not having a Relic+1 and Full DL. Comes to the SE Forums to complain about how noobs taking 2 minutes longer to clear AK need to be removed from the game.

2. The Balancing Act - Comes to the forums namely griping about the rewards granted by the FATE System. Doesn't want anything nerfed but wants equality amongst the leveling paths. Hopes that the increased XP from Dungeons being introduced will assist players learning their jobs in a party setting instead of a "One Push I Win Button"

3. The New Guy - Comes to the forums asking for help even for some of the most obvious questions. Usually victimized by the Elitist and told to "L2P" is usually defended by The Balancing Act hoping to make a good player out of him.

4. The Douchebag - May be encompassed by any of the three groups at any time. Random pop timer ;p
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#5 Nov 05 2013 at 4:24 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
506 posts
5: The Title Holder - Demands that everything in the game, including you, revolves around them. If they have trouble, something is too hard. If they get bored, something is too easy. Anyone who disagrees is n00b trash and should kill themselves immediately.

6: The Clock Puncher - Obsessed with speedruns and is absolutely adamant that not even a millisecond of "their time" be wasted under any circumstances, for any reason, by anyone. Will complain in the same breath about how long things take while also lamenting how bored they are because there's nothing to do. On their home planet "wasting their time" is an offence punishable by death.
____________________________
PSO: HUnewearl 181, FOnewearl 129, RAcaseal 121

FFXI: SMN/RDM 82, SAM/RNG 74, BLU/WAR 62, RDM/WAR 52, BST/WAR 49

FFXIV: SMN 50 (i102), SCH 50 (i94), WAR 50 (i94), BLM 50 (i99), BRD 50 (i94), CUL 50 (i55 ★★★), CRP 50 (i55 ★★★), WVR 50 (i55 ★★★), BTN 50 (i52), GLD 26 (in progress)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3335279/

Master Summoner from Lakshmi, hailing from the worlds of Ragol and Vana'diel.
If you ain't crazy, you ain't a Summoner!
#6 Nov 05 2013 at 4:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
356 posts
7: The normal people/lurker - Usually just read the forums for the occasional good info and dont bother posting much sense most of the posts are full of people of category 1-6 and it seems like a waste of time. They usually have more fun playing the actual game.

It is pretty cool that they have a "Dev Tracker" section on the right side of the forum index page, so you can just look there to see the devs latest posts rather than wading through piles of nonsense :P

Edited, Nov 5th 2013 6:01pm by aadrenry
#7 Nov 05 2013 at 6:02 PM Rating: Good
*
197 posts
DarkswordDX wrote:

6: The Clock Puncher - Obsessed with speedruns and is absolutely adamant that not even a millisecond of "their time" be wasted under any circumstances, for any reason, by anyone. Will complain in the same breath about how long things take while also lamenting how bored they are because there's nothing to do. On their home planet "wasting their time" is an offence punishable by death.


I think this type annoy me the most. It's a game not a **** job, I'm trying to gear out, any yeah its nice to clear something as fast as possible, but I'm not going to flip out cause "OMG dps is soooo slow" and I also don't have a problem having to explain mechanics to someone new to the dungeon.

First and foremost I play to have fun, and blowing **** up on my BLM is fun whether **** dies in 1 min or 10 mins.

Got into a WP today, tank was trying to speed run, (as in pull everything possible at once) we wiped 3 times before the first boss, finally he slowed down and we cleared the rest of the dungeon in around 20 mins.
1. I was really surprised that he didn't leave,
2. I really wanted to say something along the lines of "if you had slowed down from the start we would have cleared faster" but I kept my mouth shut cause I mostly feel smart *** comments like that don't really solve anything and he really wasn't being an *** about it.

As it was, everyone thanked each other at the end and after the initial **** ups it was a perfect run.
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#8 Nov 05 2013 at 6:04 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
aadrenry wrote:
7: The normal people/lurker - Usually just read the forums for the occasional good info and dont bother posting much sense most of the posts are full of people of category 1-6 and it seems like a waste of time. They usually have more fun playing the actual game.

It is pretty cool that they have a "Dev Tracker" section on the right side of the forum index page, so you can just look there to see the devs latest posts rather than wading through piles of nonsense :P


Agree and agree.

There are a few very high quality posters there who just wade into that nonsense with knowledge and patience and answer questions. I have a lot of respect for those guys. Personally, that place wears me down. (Not to mention I feel it gives American's a very immature, selfish image on a somewhat international stage. NA players have much more to offer than just whining, right?)
#9 Nov 06 2013 at 7:36 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Jeskradha wrote:
DarkswordDX wrote:

6: The Clock Puncher - Obsessed with speedruns and is absolutely adamant that not even a millisecond of "their time" be wasted under any circumstances, for any reason, by anyone. Will complain in the same breath about how long things take while also lamenting how bored they are because there's nothing to do. On their home planet "wasting their time" is an offence punishable by death.


I think this type annoy me the most. It's a game not a **** job, I'm trying to gear out, any yeah its nice to clear something as fast as possible, but I'm not going to flip out cause "OMG dps is soooo slow" and I also don't have a problem having to explain mechanics to someone new to the dungeon.

First and foremost I play to have fun, and blowing sh*t up on my BLM is fun whether sh*t dies in 1 min or 10 mins.

Got into a WP today, tank was trying to speed run, (as in pull everything possible at once) we wiped 3 times before the first boss, finally he slowed down and we cleared the rest of the dungeon in around 20 mins.
1. I was really surprised that he didn't leave,
2. I really wanted to say something along the lines of "if you had slowed down from the start we would have cleared faster" but I kept my mouth shut cause I mostly feel smart *** comments like that don't really solve anything and he really wasn't being an *** about it.

As it was, everyone thanked each other at the end and after the initial @#%^ ups it was a perfect run.


My guess would be he assumed that's how the rest of the group was going to want to run it. Maybe, after 3 wipes, he realized he was going to be able to slow down and enjoy the run too :)

I think knowing what's coming with endgame right now is a big reason I've been focusing so much on crafting lol
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#10 Nov 06 2013 at 8:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
8. The PC Fanboy - Consistently berates those on the inferior PS3 and locks them out of boss battles whenever he gets a chance. Then boots them from his party to the tune of "Get a Computer"

9. The BiS Gearfreak - Obsesses over every stat. i.e. Fishlegs from How to Train your Dragon. One day we will like these folks for their groundbreaking trial and error that we did not have to do. Smiley: nod
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#11 Nov 06 2013 at 9:26 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
506 posts
I don't mind #9s at all as long as they aren't also #4s.

If you're a good player and a good person and you have boss as **** gear, I'm going to want to emulate that and get myself better kitted out.

#8 is the current fad over in their GD. Sung to the tune of "PS3 Limitations are holding us PC players back!" I've heard everything from "PS3 should be dropped as soon as PS4 comes out" to "It never should have been released on PS3 in the first place. Stupid console casuals!" to "I know you're on PS3 by how long it takes you to skip a CS. If you're in my group I'm not pulling or tanking until you drop party!"

It's just... ugh.

Edited, Nov 6th 2013 10:28am by DarkswordDX
____________________________
PSO: HUnewearl 181, FOnewearl 129, RAcaseal 121

FFXI: SMN/RDM 82, SAM/RNG 74, BLU/WAR 62, RDM/WAR 52, BST/WAR 49

FFXIV: SMN 50 (i102), SCH 50 (i94), WAR 50 (i94), BLM 50 (i99), BRD 50 (i94), CUL 50 (i55 ★★★), CRP 50 (i55 ★★★), WVR 50 (i55 ★★★), BTN 50 (i52), GLD 26 (in progress)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3335279/

Master Summoner from Lakshmi, hailing from the worlds of Ragol and Vana'diel.
If you ain't crazy, you ain't a Summoner!
#12 Nov 06 2013 at 9:34 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
DarkswordDX wrote:
I don't mind #9s at all as long as they aren't also #4s.

If you're a good player and a good person and you have boss as **** gear, I'm going to want to emulate that and get myself better kitted out.

#8 is the current fad over in their GD. Sung to the tune of "PS3 Limitations are holding us PC players back!" I've heard everything from "PS3 should be dropped as soon as PS4 comes out" to "It never should have been released on PS3 in the first place. Stupid console casuals!" to "I know you're on PS3 by how long it takes you to skip a CS. If you're in my group I'm not pulling or tanking until you drop party!"

It's just... ugh.

Edited, Nov 6th 2013 10:28am by DarkswordDX


I think somebody telling me they would stop playing until I dropped party because I'm on PS3 would turn me into a bit of a jerk lol.

There's plenty of MMO's out there. If you don't like the fact there are people playing on PS3, you shouldn't be playing a console game ;)
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#13 Nov 06 2013 at 9:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I cannot tell if someone is using a PC or PS3 just from how they play.

I can, however, tell if someone is running with a mouse because it appears on my screen that they're running sideways, drunkenly.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#14 Nov 06 2013 at 11:12 AM Rating: Good
*
197 posts
LebargeX wrote:
Jeskradha wrote:
DarkswordDX wrote:

6: The Clock Puncher - Obsessed with speedruns and is absolutely adamant that not even a millisecond of "their time" be wasted under any circumstances, for any reason, by anyone. Will complain in the same breath about how long things take while also lamenting how bored they are because there's nothing to do. On their home planet "wasting their time" is an offence punishable by death.


I think this type annoy me the most. It's a game not a **** job, I'm trying to gear out, any yeah its nice to clear something as fast as possible, but I'm not going to flip out cause "OMG dps is soooo slow" and I also don't have a problem having to explain mechanics to someone new to the dungeon.

First and foremost I play to have fun, and blowing sh*t up on my BLM is fun whether sh*t dies in 1 min or 10 mins.

Got into a WP today, tank was trying to speed run, (as in pull everything possible at once) we wiped 3 times before the first boss, finally he slowed down and we cleared the rest of the dungeon in around 20 mins.
1. I was really surprised that he didn't leave,
2. I really wanted to say something along the lines of "if you had slowed down from the start we would have cleared faster" but I kept my mouth shut cause I mostly feel smart *** comments like that don't really solve anything and he really wasn't being an *** about it.

As it was, everyone thanked each other at the end and after the initial @#%^ ups it was a perfect run.


My guess would be he assumed that's how the rest of the group was going to want to run it. Maybe, after 3 wipes, he realized he was going to be able to slow down and enjoy the run too :)

I think knowing what's coming with endgame right now is a big reason I've been focusing so much on crafting lol


Well was WP one of the dungeons you could like glitch through or something, as in having the tank run past all the trash to the bosses or whatever it was?? I remember hearing people talk about this but not sure how it was done or what dungeons it was in.

Either way, after the first wipe, the tank asked if they "Fixed this place" to which someone else responded yes. Then he just tried to pull like the first 3 pulls at once and we wiped, tried that one more time and we wiped again. Then he slowed it down a bit. The summoner in the group was pushing for him to go faster too, but he kind of shut up after we wiped so many times.
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#15 Nov 06 2013 at 12:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
745 posts
Jeskradha wrote:
LebargeX wrote:
Jeskradha wrote:
DarkswordDX wrote:

6: The Clock Puncher - Obsessed with speedruns and is absolutely adamant that not even a millisecond of "their time" be wasted under any circumstances, for any reason, by anyone. Will complain in the same breath about how long things take while also lamenting how bored they are because there's nothing to do. On their home planet "wasting their time" is an offence punishable by death.


I think this type annoy me the most. It's a game not a **** job, I'm trying to gear out, any yeah its nice to clear something as fast as possible, but I'm not going to flip out cause "OMG dps is soooo slow" and I also don't have a problem having to explain mechanics to someone new to the dungeon.

First and foremost I play to have fun, and blowing sh*t up on my BLM is fun whether sh*t dies in 1 min or 10 mins.

Got into a WP today, tank was trying to speed run, (as in pull everything possible at once) we wiped 3 times before the first boss, finally he slowed down and we cleared the rest of the dungeon in around 20 mins.
1. I was really surprised that he didn't leave,
2. I really wanted to say something along the lines of "if you had slowed down from the start we would have cleared faster" but I kept my mouth shut cause I mostly feel smart *** comments like that don't really solve anything and he really wasn't being an *** about it.

As it was, everyone thanked each other at the end and after the initial @#%^ ups it was a perfect run.


My guess would be he assumed that's how the rest of the group was going to want to run it. Maybe, after 3 wipes, he realized he was going to be able to slow down and enjoy the run too :)

I think knowing what's coming with endgame right now is a big reason I've been focusing so much on crafting lol


Well was WP one of the dungeons you could like glitch through or something, as in having the tank run past all the trash to the bosses or whatever it was?? I remember hearing people talk about this but not sure how it was done or what dungeons it was in.

Either way, after the first wipe, the tank asked if they "Fixed this place" to which someone else responded yes. Then he just tried to pull like the first 3 pulls at once and we wiped, tried that one more time and we wiped again. Then he slowed it down a bit. The summoner in the group was pushing for him to go faster too, but he kind of shut up after we wiped so many times.

That was Amdapor Keep. People were getting the tank to run past and aggro all the mobs while everyone tagged along behind until they would reach a boss, then everyone would hide while the tank died and was raised.

THESE ARE THE WARRIORS OF LIGHT.

When SE fixed this and made Wanderers Palace more desirable via increased tome drops, people started flocking to WP for a faster and less stressful run.
____________________________
FFXIV - Neo Geo (formerly Droxy Durango)
FFXI - Brit *Manly man on the Fairy server*
{Retired for good in 2010 after the server transfer and forced name change)

#16 Nov 06 2013 at 12:41 PM Rating: Good
*
197 posts
Droxy wrote:

That was Amdapor Keep. People were getting the tank to run past and aggro all the mobs while everyone tagged along behind until they would reach a boss, then everyone would hide while the tank died and was raised.

THESE ARE THE WARRIORS OF LIGHT.

When SE fixed this and made Wanderers Palace more desirable via increased tome drops, people started flocking to WP for a faster and less stressful run.


Well, my guess is that initially this is what he was trying to do, cause he pretty much just ran past everything and then died in the room with the second treasure chest in it
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#17 Nov 06 2013 at 12:42 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Annnd then there's number 10

Those of us who stepped away to let SE work out all of their issues, and are now taking another look to see if we can carve out a home here... We're running away screaming because the community, a community we were a part of for a decade in the making, has turned into a complete cesspool.

I wanted XIV to be more modern, but I definitely didn't want it to usher in a new age of dbaggery.

This forum is definitely a safe haven from most drama because of the unique karma system, but the stories even here of horrible experiences is really making me think twice about returning.
#18 Nov 06 2013 at 12:54 PM Rating: Good
*
197 posts
Torrence wrote:
Annnd then there's number 10

Those of us who stepped away to let SE work out all of their issues, and are now taking another look to see if we can carve out a home here... We're running away screaming because the community, a community we were a part of for a decade in the making, has turned into a complete cesspool.

I wanted XIV to be more modern, but I definitely didn't want it to usher in a new age of dbaggery.

This forum is definitely a safe haven from most drama because of the unique karma system, but the stories even here of horrible experiences is really making me think twice about returning.


Its definitely not as horrible as some would make it seem, I've been at 50 for a few weeks now and I've only ran into 2 or 3 complete ********. Find a good FC and just run with them.

Its not all rings and roses, thats for sure, but its definitely not a complete cesspool either, for as many "bad" players there are also good players willing to help.

I do have a feeling though, that having crystal tower in the DF may turn out to be a bad thing, I guess it just depends on how hard it ends up being.
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#19 Nov 06 2013 at 12:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
506 posts
In all fairness I've encountered impressively little douchiness in the actual game. I've had a couple primadonna tanks and the usual dumbass randoms. Thusfar my in game experience has been no worse than the old days of XI (sexual favors for the BRD to get him to join your party, the RDM leaving in a huff because you're only making 3.5k/hr in CN, DDs pulling hate, players messing up strats, etc.)

The forums and online community though.... Jesus its bad. REAL bad. Its like the worst parts of the rottenest people of the "old" BG elitist clique took over the entire XIV community. The official FFXIV forums aren't even a cesspool, they're the scrapings off the septic tank wall.

Edited, Nov 6th 2013 1:56pm by DarkswordDX
____________________________
PSO: HUnewearl 181, FOnewearl 129, RAcaseal 121

FFXI: SMN/RDM 82, SAM/RNG 74, BLU/WAR 62, RDM/WAR 52, BST/WAR 49

FFXIV: SMN 50 (i102), SCH 50 (i94), WAR 50 (i94), BLM 50 (i99), BRD 50 (i94), CUL 50 (i55 ★★★), CRP 50 (i55 ★★★), WVR 50 (i55 ★★★), BTN 50 (i52), GLD 26 (in progress)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3335279/

Master Summoner from Lakshmi, hailing from the worlds of Ragol and Vana'diel.
If you ain't crazy, you ain't a Summoner!
#20 Nov 06 2013 at 1:05 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
BG was at least entertaining about it though. I used to live for posts by isladar, this one in particular being my all time fav.

isladar from bg wrote:
If you don't mind, I'd like to read an excerpt from The Book of Moblans, in Cross Server, chapter 7, verses 1 - 4:

[1] AND VERILY, yera, and foshure didst Tyrese overfloweth with lulz from his udders; udders heavy with the sweet nectar of total fail and blessed with the facepalms of a thousand of the Elect of BG. AND LO, there'st fain was ethuggery like of olde, for an 'e' at the end of **** doth make it more authentic, and truly there were plans and divinations to FITE upon the plains of some place in Canada, we think.

[2] FOR TYRESE didst beg that these allegations be presented before his countenance, and not amidst the tangle of the internet, so that it could be determined what would be to come.

[3] AND SATH didst make a :3 face irl, and laid his bounty before the Elect of BG, that they might be a WITNESS as he engaged the mammaries of a certain female in a place of dancing. LO, DIDST they see this, and consulted other books, OLDE BOOKS, like unto the Real_Nigga to Englishe Dictionairie, and they read, and knew joy.

[4]THUS WAS the Elect of BG pleased.

Real Talk.


Sure they were bullies, but they were also the best, and as a community we may have not liked them, but we respected them for the most part. Now it just seems like people are just going out of their way to ruin the game for others. That's not what the elitism of olde was like, at least not how I remember it.

#21 Nov 06 2013 at 1:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Torrence wrote:
Annnd then there's number 10

Those of us who stepped away to let SE work out all of their issues, and are now taking another look to see if we can carve out a home here... We're running away screaming because the community, a community we were a part of for a decade in the making, has turned into a complete cesspool.

I wanted XIV to be more modern, but I definitely didn't want it to usher in a new age of dbaggery.

This forum is definitely a safe haven from most drama because of the unique karma system, but the stories even here of horrible experiences is really making me think twice about returning.


The silent majority who do not post on the forums but who you will actually encounter in the game are, on the whole, nice people.

You should definitely consider returning. You might be pleasantly surprised.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#22 Nov 06 2013 at 1:09 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
745 posts
Jeskradha wrote:
Torrence wrote:
Annnd then there's number 10

Those of us who stepped away to let SE work out all of their issues, and are now taking another look to see if we can carve out a home here... We're running away screaming because the community, a community we were a part of for a decade in the making, has turned into a complete cesspool.

I wanted XIV to be more modern, but I definitely didn't want it to usher in a new age of dbaggery.

This forum is definitely a safe haven from most drama because of the unique karma system, but the stories even here of horrible experiences is really making me think twice about returning.


Its definitely not as horrible as some would make it seem, I've been at 50 for a few weeks now and I've only ran into 2 or 3 complete @#%^s. Find a good FC and just run with them.

Its not all rings and roses, thats for sure, but its definitely not a complete cesspool either, for as many "bad" players there are also good players willing to help.

I do have a feeling though, that having crystal tower in the DF may turn out to be a bad thing, I guess it just depends on how hard it ends up being.


I have experienced dungeon finder groups in wow since the concept was introduced in Cataclysm. None of the upcoming horrors in Crystal Tower will phase me.

I hope.
____________________________
FFXIV - Neo Geo (formerly Droxy Durango)
FFXI - Brit *Manly man on the Fairy server*
{Retired for good in 2010 after the server transfer and forced name change)

#23 Nov 06 2013 at 1:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
506 posts
Any ideas on what the **** makes XIV so different? We had an online community back then every bit as big as WoWs (in the early days at least). And those who were asshats were known and widely disliked. They were there, but represented a small minority of the online community. In the XIV era it seems like they're 80% of the userbase, with the rest of the nice guys struggling against the tide.
____________________________
PSO: HUnewearl 181, FOnewearl 129, RAcaseal 121

FFXI: SMN/RDM 82, SAM/RNG 74, BLU/WAR 62, RDM/WAR 52, BST/WAR 49

FFXIV: SMN 50 (i102), SCH 50 (i94), WAR 50 (i94), BLM 50 (i99), BRD 50 (i94), CUL 50 (i55 ★★★), CRP 50 (i55 ★★★), WVR 50 (i55 ★★★), BTN 50 (i52), GLD 26 (in progress)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3335279/

Master Summoner from Lakshmi, hailing from the worlds of Ragol and Vana'diel.
If you ain't crazy, you ain't a Summoner!
#24 Nov 06 2013 at 2:56 PM Rating: Good
*
197 posts
Droxy wrote:


I have experienced dungeon finder groups in wow since the concept was introduced in Cataclysm. None of the upcoming horrors in Crystal Tower will phase me.

I hope.



Same here,

I was never a huge fan of the Raid Finder tool in WoW though, seemed like half the time the content was so easy you didn't really even have to understand what was going on to win (I actually fell asleep a few times lol). This was during Cataclysm though so I don't know if things have really changed since then. I really like the 8 man duty finder in ARR and always wished in Cataclysm that the raid finder was tooled around 10 mans vs 25. I do know that now they have some kind of smaller form of a raid finder in WoW.

I'm just guessing if people already can't handle having new players "slowing them down" in 4 mans, they are probably going to flip their lids in a 24 man. Like I said though, just depends on how hard the content is I guess, but the idea of coordinating 24 random players does seem a little daunting.
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#25 Nov 06 2013 at 3:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Jeskradha wrote:
Droxy wrote:


I have experienced dungeon finder groups in wow since the concept was introduced in Cataclysm. None of the upcoming horrors in Crystal Tower will phase me.

I hope.



Same here,

I was never a huge fan of the Raid Finder tool in WoW though, seemed like half the time the content was so easy you didn't really even have to understand what was going on to win (I actually fell asleep a few times lol). This was during Cataclysm though so I don't know if things have really changed since then. I really like the 8 man duty finder in ARR and always wished in Cataclysm that the raid finder was tooled around 10 mans vs 25. I do know that now they have some kind of smaller form of a raid finder in WoW.

I'm just guessing if people already can't handle having new players "slowing them down" in 4 mans, they are probably going to flip their lids in a 24 man. Like I said though, just depends on how hard the content is I guess, but the idea of coordinating 24 random players does seem a little daunting.


Many FC will find themselves recruiting to get that second or third BC team to coordinate and run the tower. If you have three teams right now that are successfully running coil into turn 4 or 5, you are doing pretty darn good.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#26 Nov 07 2013 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,658 posts
aadrenry wrote:
7: The normal people/lurker - Usually just read the forums for the occasional good info and dont bother posting much sense most of the posts are full of people of category 1-6 and it seems like a waste of time. They usually have more fun playing the actual game.

It is pretty cool that they have a "Dev Tracker" section on the right side of the forum index page, so you can just look there to see the devs latest posts rather than wading through piles of nonsense :P

Edited, Nov 5th 2013 6:01pm by aadrenry


Hey thats me...

Yea the official forums are a cesspool..


Edited, Nov 7th 2013 1:04pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#27 Nov 07 2013 at 12:02 PM Rating: Decent
If only devs would start commenting on these forums then there'd be no reason to ever leave. :)

I kind of feel like we should appoint a single person to go to the official forums and pull out relevant information to share with everyone, so that we don't have to all be subjected to it. We could always do it hunger games style too.

Edited, Nov 7th 2013 12:03pm by Onionthiefx
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#28 Nov 07 2013 at 1:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
The One and Only Onionthiefx wrote:
If only devs would start commenting on these forums then there'd be no reason to ever leave. :)

I kind of feel like we should appoint a single person to go to the official forums and pull out relevant information to share with everyone, so that we don't have to all be subjected to it. We could always do it hunger games style too.


SE reads these forums. (They've said they do, and we have proof they do.) They just don't respond here.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#29 Nov 07 2013 at 3:04 PM Rating: Excellent
*
180 posts
The One and Only Onionthiefx wrote:
If only devs would start commenting on these forums then there'd be no reason to ever leave. :)

I kind of feel like we should appoint a single person to go to the official forums and pull out relevant information to share with everyone, so that we don't have to all be subjected to it. We could always do it hunger games style too.

Edited, Nov 7th 2013 12:03pm by Onionthiefx


I normally just wait for Szabo to post something about it on these forums Smiley: nod
____________________________
Kezia Canadensis
Ultros
TKC <ZAM>
#30 Nov 07 2013 at 6:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
10. Killua125
____________________________

#31 Nov 09 2013 at 10:25 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
611 posts
Teneleven wrote:
10. Killua125


You win ZAM today lol... That was hilarious...
____________________________
FFXI Ronyn RDM 75 (R.I.P.) -Fairy / BarretJax 95 MNK (Non-Active) - Asura
Ronin Olorin / Ronyn Oloryn (Active) - Ultros Server

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence." - Max Ehrmann
#32 Nov 10 2013 at 1:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,072 posts
DarkswordDX wrote:
Any ideas on what the **** makes XIV so different? We had an online community back then every bit as big as WoWs (in the early days at least). And those who were asshats were known and widely disliked. They were there, but represented a small minority of the online community. In the XIV era it seems like they're 80% of the userbase, with the rest of the nice guys struggling against the tide.

I have a few thoughts on this. None would be the sole reason and each condition will vary a bit on the environment itself, but here goes...

1) Glorification of drama.
This doesn't deviate much from real world media in that you're more likely to see bad news reported than good news. Be it deliberate or simply witnessed, as these things are basically documented, you have some people that will then strive to one-up some circumstance to go down in infamy, for better or worse.

2) Lack of moderation.
Don't let Alla's karma system fool you, it doesn't scare off people who want to stir ****. Some posters establish themselves as being deliberately antagonistic. They'll throw the insults. They'll make wild accusations. They'll consistently bring up hot button topics in the worst way possible. It might be easier to just label these people as trolls, but some thrive here more on deception than bullying, so it's not exactly a catch-all moniker. But even ignoring forum behavior, bad attitudes flourish within the games themselves because banning someone generally translates to losing profit. What companies risk with this mentality is the people they alienate and lose because you see the same troublemakers day in and day out filling public channels with their drivel, the only defenses being very poor chat filters (unlikely with the times on net slang) and ignore features. The latter brings the issue of what may be viewed as one-sided conversations where you could see someone responding to this mischief, maybe even making them look like a bad guy. I know it's for this reason I am very sparse on my ignores, using them mainly to snuff RMT spam.

3) Anonymity.
These fuel 1 and 2. I have a healthy respect for the good it offers, but can also acknowledge it enables bad behaviors when left unchecked. People can make you a target for the most inane things online. And of course because of this layer of safety, people will be ***** in hopes of praise with no real fear of punishment. Heck, some even gloat when they get banned from a games official board, playing the whole snarky, "I'm better than them, anyway!" angle. Frankly, anonymity is an issue when the individual can't reign in their ego and not accept that no two players are the same in their ability to play and interests.



All these in mind, I am of the belief that the majority of MMO players do not visit any kind of forum related to their game regularly, if ever. Some of this may be due to past bad experiences. Some might not have the time, especially if you can't net surf at your job or school. Even more may just be content with playing the game when they can. They're the silent majority not so much caught up in the intricacies of class balance, but they're still not ignorant to problems that hinder their enjoyment of the game. It can be annoying when the bad apples try to speak for this majority or outright downplay their desires for the game because they're not a top-ranked PvPer, on the bleeding edge of the raid game, play 30+ hours a week, or whatever. The "casual gamer" thusly gets bad rap, leading to other derogatory slang like carebears, n00bz, scrubs, and so on. I don't really like that this behavior has thrived over the years, and with lack of moderation, the eventuality is either an individual bowing out or having to get a "thicker skin" as some might put it. I've never bought that, though, as further joking about things like rape or other aspects of conquering our digital peers is just another glaring example of lacking sensitivity. Though, I'd also not delve into the gender issues prevalent within gaming, as while some are legit, there are some that just seem to be pandering to my category 1.

I'll cut things short, but in summation, the net isn't the free domain some would like you to believe. Every site, game, or whatever has their own rules, fair or not, which can be further subject to their ISPs or even (inter)national law. There's a fine line between policing and censorship in this case, but 1, 2, and 3 have basically led to the now and things won't change unless consequences become more prevalent. In blanket terms, we could probably just call all this **** cyber bullying, and while there are occasional cases of people making things far more personal, I wouldn't say it's as serious as, say, a bunch of kids trolling some unpopular kid's facebook and leading them to suicide or acting out violently. But I also believe how we derive our entertainment further identifies us. If someone thrives on the misery of others, I definitely don't want them in my friend pool. Whatever sociopathic tendencies lie within I'd rather just leave for shrinks to diagnose. But some days I just think I see kids who never got spanked when misbehaving.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#33 Nov 10 2013 at 9:26 AM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Seriha wrote:

All these in mind, I am of the belief that the majority of MMO players do not visit any kind of forum related to their game regularly, if ever.


I agree. I played XI for the better part of a decade but never came across anyone on my server who had a clue what I was talking about when I mentioned reading something here. Not in all that time.


Seriha wrote:
But some days I just think I see kids who never got spanked when misbehaving.


Things would be different if you actually could spank a kid without DCF (or whatever the equivalent is in your state is) getting involved. All the kids who did get spanked grew up to be the ones making the rules, and they decided that "time outs" were better than a smack on the bum because I guess growing up to be individuals with a healthy respect for consequences and authority was somehow degrading society.

I can't really say for sure whether one way is better than the other, but I do know that my nephews don't listen to a word my sister says. I can only imagine it's because there are no real consequences to their bad behavior. She even raises her voice they threaten to go to a teacher. What the heck can you do with guile like that? Kids have too much leverage over their parents these days and they are too young and hotheaded to understand the pain they are inflicting with threats like that.

And we just let them do it.

Edited, Nov 10th 2013 10:28am by Torrence
#34 Nov 10 2013 at 2:41 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,072 posts
Perhaps a bit tangential, but there is a difference between spanking and beating your kids black and blue. The latter I'm obviously not a fan of, while the former can at least initiate a sense of fear before knowingly misbehaving. Of course, there are other forms of punishment like grounding or removing access to things, but if your kid never leaves the house or you take away something they don't really care about for a short period of time, then not much is really gained there.

I'm not a fan of how one of my older sisters has raised her kids. She and I have gotten into some heated arguments over it, too. I have my suspicions about my nephew's social life goes, that being bullied, and in turn he comes home and emulates it to his younger sister and others because that's all he seems to know. Virtually every other sentence I hear come from him toward me tends to be an insult and it's to the point where if he comes down to my house and asks what I'm doing, I don't tell him because it usually results in some variation of, "That's ***!" There are occasionally things that come from his mouth that I know came from my sister, too, so it's not like she's been a sterling influence. Basically there are days I feel like I'm dealing with a 5 year old in a 15 year old's body. "Boys will be boys," and similar epithets just strikes me as a cop out.

So, while I'm not so much of the, "The next generation is going to end the world!" type of thinking, I'm skeptical they'll do it much good. Things like this are why I've pretty much decided not to have children, myself. Add onto this political and economic woes and it's not like they'll be inheriting a world that's in good shape short of something that could actually unite us on a global scale. But since I don't see aliens invading or a doom plague sweeping humanity, it'll just be business as usual.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#35 Nov 10 2013 at 3:03 PM Rating: Decent
Seriha wrote:
Perhaps a bit tangential, but there is a difference between spanking and beating your kids black and blue. The latter I'm obviously not a fan of, while the former can at least initiate a sense of fear before knowingly misbehaving. Of course, there are other forms of punishment like grounding or removing access to things, but if your kid never leaves the house or you take away something they don't really care about for a short period of time, then not much is really gained there.

I'm not a fan of how one of my older sisters has raised her kids. She and I have gotten into some heated arguments over it, too. I have my suspicions about my nephew's social life goes, that being bullied, and in turn he comes home and emulates it to his younger sister and others because that's all he seems to know. Virtually every other sentence I hear come from him toward me tends to be an insult and it's to the point where if he comes down to my house and asks what I'm doing, I don't tell him because it usually results in some variation of, "That's ***!" There are occasionally things that come from his mouth that I know came from my sister, too, so it's not like she's been a sterling influence. Basically there are days I feel like I'm dealing with a 5 year old in a 15 year old's body. "Boys will be boys," and similar epithets just strikes me as a cop out.

So, while I'm not so much of the, "The next generation is going to end the world!" type of thinking, I'm skeptical they'll do it much good. Things like this are why I've pretty much decided not to have children, myself. Add onto this political and economic woes and it's not like they'll be inheriting a world that's in good shape short of something that could actually unite us on a global scale. But since I don't see aliens invading or a doom plague sweeping humanity, it'll just be business as usual.


That sounds pretty ***.

Edited, Nov 10th 2013 4:03pm by Montsegurnephcreep
____________________________

#36 Nov 10 2013 at 4:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
Seriha wrote:


2) Lack of moderation.
Don't let Alla's karma system fool you, it doesn't scare off people who want to stir sh*t. Some posters establish themselves as being deliberately antagonistic. They'll throw the insults. They'll make wild accusations. They'll consistently bring up hot button topics in the worst way possible. It might be easier to just label these people as trolls, but some thrive here more on deception than bullying, so it's not exactly a catch-all moniker. But even ignoring forum behavior, bad attitudes flourish within the games themselves because banning someone generally translates to losing profit. What companies risk with this mentality is the people they alienate and lose because you see the same troublemakers day in and day out filling public channels with their drivel, the only defenses being very poor chat filters (unlikely with the times on net slang) and ignore features. The latter brings the issue of what may be viewed as one-sided conversations where you could see someone responding to this mischief, maybe even making them look like a bad guy. I know it's for this reason I am very sparse on my ignores, using them mainly to snuff RMT spam.
.


The karma system isn't designed to be the scary part. It's more along the lines of a vibration dampner, designed to eliminate some of the rapid pendulum swings and give people a chance to reward worthy people or destroy annoying ones before they get too estableshed. We try to offer a less restrictive board overall than some, since we feel that honest discussion is part of a discourse that is interesting, even if that discussion includes negatives of a game. At the same time, we try to also convey that there are limits and walls, and when someone hits one of those walls or crosses those lines, we remove them and ensure they stay removed. A bit of drama can be good for a forum from time to time. You also have to look at poster dynamics. A forum thrives on new topics to draw in readers. Banning a proliffic topic creator who is somewhat abrasive is worse for a forum's integrety overall than banning someone who just replies to threads because you lose that initial point to build from. Guild allainces can be problematic. Ban a popular member of a large guild and you get 20 more people who quit a forum. Guild based on frum membership implodes? you lose another 50. It's a balancing act, and one that is difficult to get right even after 11 years of playing around with the mix. I like to think the forum rules and the ability to temporarily mute accounts rather than removing them permanently has helped lower the amount of unacceptable forum behavior overall while actually making it easier for people to express themselves without wondering where the lines are actually at.

We probably err on the side of giving too many chances to some people sometimes. That being said, I've personally banned more accounts than I have posts. Most of those were spammers, but we do ban things as needed on occasion enough to give people contemplating doing something stupid pause.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#37 Nov 10 2013 at 4:39 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,072 posts
Yeah, my talk on Alla specifically kinda waned after commenting on karma. At one point I was active on XI's OF, Rift's, Diablo 3's, Aion's, and a few others not really worth remembering. There are common trends among them that have inevitably led me to the cynical view that people suck and the less I'm forced to interact with such personalities, the better off my related gaming experience is likely to be. Unfortunately, there's a bit of a catch 22 where if all a given game dev is seeing those outspoken viewpoints, they might believe that's what people actually want. It can create an awkward tug for those who do want a better community, but come to resent trying for it because their efforts feel fruitless. Perhaps Alla is spared of this a bit due to not being any given game's official home.

I will say, however, that clique mentalities can be disastrous in other ways. I've made enemies over my perspective on RDM for XI, and this has led to circlejerks of people trying to put me down (sometimes with quite humorous lies) or anyone who might've shared similar perspectives, but perhaps lacked the fortitude to remain engaged. They certainly ruined the RDM section of the OF at the time and I don't think it's really recovered, but I could also blame SE's overall treatment of the job for a bit of that. Some may say the road to **** is paved with good intentions, but the types of social cancer I've interacted with only seemed interested in destroying rather than building. And those are often the types who get to slip under the radar, but nonetheless scare off less established users. The names I could rattle off probably won't mean much now, though, as most I haven't seen particularly active within the XIV section. Though maybe that's for the better since they were also of the mind this forum was a "cesspool" or other colorful terminology, but nonetheless persisted in contributing to the muck under the banner of higher intelligence or something silly like that.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#38Queen EmmanuellaLima, Posted: Nov 10 2013 at 5:44 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I think the worse thing the US did was call whipping child abuse. Some of the kids, like killing parents over taking a smartphone away. It is insane, when I have kids they will not have time to make it to a phone before I tare that *** up as my mom did me.
#39 Nov 10 2013 at 5:56 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Eh, there's a time and a place. I got spanked a grant total of once because I said I would clean my room and I didn't.

My mother slapped me once, but that was because I was having hysterics over something stupid and was putting us both in danger since she was driving and I was in the passenger seat. It didn't hurt so much as it shocked me into shutting up.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#40 Nov 11 2013 at 7:12 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
425 posts
Yeah, nice bunch here. Kind of heralded how my experience was gonna be when I got in the game. :)
____________________________
FFXI character: Elathia ::F Tarutaru::87SCH/75RDM/70WHM/54BLM::Cerberus/Ragnarok/Bahamut::1/23/2004 - 3/25/2015 :: Retired
RDM First 75 Job :: RDM Maat victory: March 28, 2008 (1/3) :: San d'Oria R10 Long live King Destin :: Praise be to the late King Ranperre.
FFXIV character: Selene Silverstorm :: F Lalafell :: WAR60/WHM60/BLM60 :: Ragnarok :: 9/2013 -
Patch note archives for FFXIV: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/patchnote_log/
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 64 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (64)