Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Food Suggestions.Follow

#1 Nov 13 2013 at 6:28 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
611 posts
So… I'm getting to the point in the game where I feel that I should always be using food. My question is, what do you use for any specific class/job…crating and gathering included? I apologize in advance if there has been a thread with this info… but to my recollection I haven't seen one. All information is appreciated. Cheers.
____________________________
FFXI Ronyn RDM 75 (R.I.P.) -Fairy / BarretJax 95 MNK (Non-Active) - Asura
Ronin Olorin / Ronyn Oloryn (Active) - Ultros Server

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence." - Max Ehrmann
#2 Nov 13 2013 at 9:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,825 posts
It's not really worth it until Titan and coil. Until those the cheapest food for xp bonus. As an aspiring culinarian it makes me sad to say that. For gathering and crafting it is helpful but not required from what I've seen so far.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#3 Nov 14 2013 at 12:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,556 posts
Well, I would just purchase class-specific food from the vendors around Eorzea for leveling from 1-50. There are several locations. I use the Potwatch in Ul'dah's market district for really cheap food, there's a vendor in South Shroud for some decent food, and also a vendor in Drybones that sells some pretty good food as well.

Once you hit 50, though, food can make a huge difference when you are tackling some of the hardest content.

Tonight, I spent around 60K on 25 deviled eggs. They give me an extra 100+ HP, cap my accuracy, and give me some nice crit % as well. There is definitely some money to be made as a CUL but farming the materials can be a little challenging now days, I'm told, since a lot of these areas are being camped much like the diremite web locations.

If you want my personal opinion about what you should be eating at the lower levels:

Tanks - Flatbread
DPS - Dodo omelet
Healers - Some type of juice (like grape juice) or tea; basically something with spell speed
#4 Nov 14 2013 at 1:19 AM Rating: Good
*****
16,959 posts
Crafters: I hear Craftmanship food is preferred for 2 star recipes, for (obviously) less durability cost for progression. Haven't really felt the need to use any while leveling, but I do often use my own crafted food while on the way to 50 with Culinarian.

Botanist/Miner don't really need any, though Fishing can benefit quite a bit from some Perception food if your goal is to Mooch.

DPS: Buttons in a Blanket are decent (and cheaper than Black Truffle Risotto), assuming you don't need more accuracy to cap hit rate.

I haven't really had to look into much else, though my Tank friends get our Culinarian to make La Noscean Toast. Not sure if it's the best choice, but it seems fairly cheap to make.

Edited, Nov 14th 2013 12:21am by Kirby
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#5 Nov 14 2013 at 1:45 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Perrin wrote:
It's not really worth it until Titan and coil. Until those the cheapest food for xp bonus. As an aspiring culinarian it makes me sad to say that. For gathering and crafting it is helpful but not required from what I've seen so far.

I would use food if it didn't cost an arm and a leg to do so.
As a PLD, I'm usually the first to die, and paying 1.5k for
a slice of knight bread six times per dungeon run is nothing
I seriously consider.

As such, I stick to orange juice until I am confident that there's
a realistic chance to down the final boss within the next two tries.

Also, It bugs me that everyone expects me to wear the best
armor possible and buff myself with food, while the WHM runs
around in his artifact gear against HM Titan, and has not even
heard about edible stuff.

No wonder noone wants to be the tank. It's the most expensive
and unforgiving class out there.
#6 Nov 14 2013 at 2:06 AM Rating: Good
**
589 posts
Cawl Cennin is popular for crafters, especially if they have most crafts at 50 as it means they can guarantee 100% quality on 2 star items.

Cawl Cennin
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
#7 Nov 14 2013 at 5:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,506 posts
I'm more a fan of the Rolanberry Cheesecakes. I'll take Craftmanship +32 over the Control+4 from Cawl Cannin everyday. If you wanted control, you could just as easily buy Raw Oysters from the vendor for 37 gil and enjoy the Control+8 it gives.

Rolanberry Cheesecake

If you make that, it will sell quite easily.

Pan-Friend Mahi-Mahi works quite well too. Control+25, people will go nuts over that.
____________________________
[XI] Surivere of Valefor
[XIV] Sir Surian Bedivere of Behemoth
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2401553/
#8 Nov 14 2013 at 6:26 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
8,779 posts
Crafters tend to prefer control. Sometimes CP. But Control is always a safe bet.

Gather's like Gathering and Perception in equal amounts. GP is largely useless, and Gathering/Perception typically comes on the same foods anyway.

Tanks want parry/vit food. This is usually found in the parry/vit/acc combination. La Noscea Toast is the go-to food item for end game tanks (no 2 star stuff, as you get wasted stat boosts).

DPS typically want crit or determination. Skill/spell speed is useless, as is accuracy most of the time (DPS who are in the process of gearing up or slotting for acc will want acc food, but other than that you won't find buyers or a use for it).

Healers generally want piety or spell speed, and sometimes crit. SCH are split equally between crit and piety; piety gives more back per Aetherflow, but crit boosts shielding greatly. WHM tend to go straight for piety, but will sometimes deviate between that and spell speed depending on their needs. Even a .1 faster cast on a spell may be enough to keep someone key alive.
____________________________
Quote:
The thing about me is that apparently it's very hard to tell when I'm drunk. So I feel like I'm walking sideways on a UFO and everyone else sees me doing the robot like a pro.
- MojoVIII
i have bathed in the blood of many. my life was spent well.
feral druids do it on all fours.
The One True Prophet of Tonkism.

http://therewillbebrawl.com/
#9 Nov 14 2013 at 7:19 AM Rating: Good
**
589 posts
Quor wrote:
Crafters tend to prefer control. Sometimes CP. But Control is always a safe bet.

Gather's like Gathering and Perception in equal amounts. GP is largely useless, and Gathering/Perception typically comes on the same foods anyway.

Tanks want parry/vit food. This is usually found in the parry/vit/acc combination. La Noscea Toast is the go-to food item for end game tanks (no 2 star stuff, as you get wasted stat boosts).

DPS typically want crit or determination. Skill/spell speed is useless, as is accuracy most of the time (DPS who are in the process of gearing up or slotting for acc will want acc food, but other than that you won't find buyers or a use for it).

Healers generally want piety or spell speed, and sometimes crit. SCH are split equally between crit and piety; piety gives more back per Aetherflow, but crit boosts shielding greatly. WHM tend to go straight for piety, but will sometimes deviate between that and spell speed depending on their needs. Even a .1 faster cast on a spell may be enough to keep someone key alive.



Granted, when I'm leveling I generally eat Baked Sole or Salt Cod Puffs for control, but once you have four or five level 50 crafts you want the CP so you can guarantee your rotations using basic touch instead of steady hand II.

Baked Sole is only really profitable if you can fish though.
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
#10 Nov 14 2013 at 7:52 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
SolomonGrundy wrote:
Quor wrote:
Crafters tend to prefer control. Sometimes CP. But Control is always a safe bet.

Gather's like Gathering and Perception in equal amounts. GP is largely useless, and Gathering/Perception typically comes on the same foods anyway.

Tanks want parry/vit food. This is usually found in the parry/vit/acc combination. La Noscea Toast is the go-to food item for end game tanks (no 2 star stuff, as you get wasted stat boosts).

DPS typically want crit or determination. Skill/spell speed is useless, as is accuracy most of the time (DPS who are in the process of gearing up or slotting for acc will want acc food, but other than that you won't find buyers or a use for it).

Healers generally want piety or spell speed, and sometimes crit. SCH are split equally between crit and piety; piety gives more back per Aetherflow, but crit boosts shielding greatly. WHM tend to go straight for piety, but will sometimes deviate between that and spell speed depending on their needs. Even a .1 faster cast on a spell may be enough to keep someone key alive.



Granted, when I'm leveling I generally eat Baked Sole or Salt Cod Puffs for control, but once you have four or five level 50 crafts you want the CP so you can guarantee your rotations using basic touch instead of steady hand II and hasty touch?.

Baked Sole is only really profitable if you can fish though.


I changed from cod puffs to doing fish soup last night, and it made my rotation for leve turn ins WAY faster, and quite a bit more dependable. If I'm using all NQ mats, I can get away with 3 hasty and 3 basic. Then BB (CRP was my only 50 at the time) on that and I'm at 80-100% quality every time. Since my last few turn ins have all been 40 dur mats, it's not where I'd like it to be, but it's definitely working pretty well. If I add in just one HQ portion, I can guarantee 100% every time on 40 duras.

I just got Comfort Zone last night, and I'm eager to try that when I start cranking out wool hats ;)

There was one, just one HQ fish soup on the MB for 2500g. The mats for it are nearly all vendor purchaseable. I forgot to check to see if they sell out, or never sell...but it may be worth having a look :)

PS, I added some italic text to the end of your next to last sentence. Is that what you meant to say?
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#11 Nov 14 2013 at 8:06 AM Rating: Good
**
589 posts
LebargeX wrote:
PS, I added some italic text to the end of your next to last sentence. Is that what you meant to say?


Yes, thanks. :-)
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
#12 Nov 14 2013 at 8:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
If you are a black mage running endgame and want cheap food that wont make your team hate you, try chicken and mushrooms. I splurge on a few buttons in a blanket just in case, but if I see that the team just cant get it right or something is off, chicken and mushrooms it is.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#13 Nov 14 2013 at 8:59 AM Rating: Decent
*
129 posts
If you're a caster DPS (SMN or BLM) and at Coil, HQ buttons in a blanket all the way. The real "end game" food in the one and two star craft realm isn't worth the expense at all for anyone.

Although post 2.1 when the food doesn't wear off from dying some might start pressing the issue that you should be using best food for the 30 min buff since it'll be a constant. If you're in Coil you'll be using 2-3 food max no matter what the wipes per raid in that scenario. Who knows the net cost of using the best food in a world where 30 minutes is a fixed amount of time and not "unless you die", it might be reasonable since you're not burning through a bunch of food for wipes which greatly adds to the cost and then makes rarer foods unreasonable to eat.
____________________________
- The artist usually known as Angrynixon
#14 Nov 14 2013 at 9:13 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
Furiousnixon wrote:
If you're a caster DPS (SMN or BLM) and at Coil, HQ buttons in a blanket all the way. The real "end game" food in the one and two star craft realm isn't worth the expense at all for anyone.

Although post 2.1 when the food doesn't wear off from dying some might start pressing the issue that you should be using best food for the 30 min buff since it'll be a constant. If you're in Coil you'll be using 2-3 food max no matter what the wipes per raid in that scenario. Who knows the net cost of using the best food in a world where 30 minutes is a fixed amount of time and not "unless you die", it might be reasonable since you're not burning through a bunch of food for wipes which greatly adds to the cost and then makes rarer foods unreasonable to eat.


I think this point is exactly why they decided to make the change.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 61 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (61)