Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Constant Password ResetsFollow

#1 Dec 01 2013 at 3:50 PM Rating: Good
So since I've taken my token off my account because of the battery running down I've had to reset my password 'literally' every time I log in. Is this normal? Does anyone else have to do this? What would cause this? I can't wait for my new token to come in so I don't have to keep doing this over and over...
____________________________
Blog: http://robertcrist.me/

Current: FFXIV | EVE Online (again)
Former: FFXI | The Matrix Online (FOREVER!!!) | STO | SW:TOR | EQ2 | WoW | Florensia | RF Online

FFXI :: Valefor :: Dareknight, Darexius
FFXIV :: Valefor :: Dare Knight
EVE Online :: Dare Knight, Hazel Knight, Rex Knight
#2 Dec 01 2013 at 3:58 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,078 posts
How often do you get assigned a new IP? Then again, I saw you tried tethering from a phone, so I'm not sure how frequently you're going between that and a land line.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#3 Dec 01 2013 at 4:30 PM Rating: Good
darexius2010, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
So since I've taken my token off my account because of the battery running down I've had to reset my password 'literally' every time I log in. Is this normal? Does anyone else have to do this? What would cause this? I can't wait for my new token to come in so I don't have to keep doing this over and over...


I get this like once a month too.
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#4 Dec 01 2013 at 5:00 PM Rating: Good
I switch between my home network and tethering as my work network doesn't allow XIV through the firewall. I suppose if it's based on different IPs then yes, every time I tether it's a new IP address.
____________________________
Blog: http://robertcrist.me/

Current: FFXIV | EVE Online (again)
Former: FFXI | The Matrix Online (FOREVER!!!) | STO | SW:TOR | EQ2 | WoW | Florensia | RF Online

FFXI :: Valefor :: Dareknight, Darexius
FFXIV :: Valefor :: Dare Knight
EVE Online :: Dare Knight, Hazel Knight, Rex Knight
#5 Dec 01 2013 at 5:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
darexius2010, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
I switch between my home network and tethering as my work network doesn't allow XIV through the firewall. I suppose if it's based on different IPs then yes, every time I tether it's a new IP address.


Ding ding ding! This is your answer.

No Token + constant IP address changes = constant password reset requests.

Too many people got hacked.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#6 Dec 01 2013 at 6:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,825 posts
I'm assuming you removed the token because you didn't like carrying it to work. If this is the case, consider the smart phone apps that SE has published to replicate the security key.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#7 Dec 02 2013 at 1:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Perrin wrote:
I'm assuming you removed the token because you didn't like carrying it to work. If this is the case, consider the smart phone apps that SE has published to replicate the security key.


I actually removed it because the screen was nolonger readable without quite the effort. It's too dim which, to me, indicate the battery has run down.

And thank you for reminding me of the app. I'll have to add that to my account. My BlackBerry Z30 runs Android apps extremely fluidly, so it shouldn't be a problem until my new keychain comes in. I wear that thing with pride even now!
____________________________
Blog: http://robertcrist.me/

Current: FFXIV | EVE Online (again)
Former: FFXI | The Matrix Online (FOREVER!!!) | STO | SW:TOR | EQ2 | WoW | Florensia | RF Online

FFXI :: Valefor :: Dareknight, Darexius
FFXIV :: Valefor :: Dare Knight
EVE Online :: Dare Knight, Hazel Knight, Rex Knight
#8 Dec 02 2013 at 3:43 AM Rating: Excellent
**
589 posts
darexius2010, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Perrin wrote:
I'm assuming you removed the token because you didn't like carrying it to work. If this is the case, consider the smart phone apps that SE has published to replicate the security key.


I actually removed it because the screen was nolonger readable without quite the effort. It's too dim which, to me, indicate the battery has run down.

And thank you for reminding me of the app. I'll have to add that to my account. My BlackBerry Z30 runs Android apps extremely fluidly, so it shouldn't be a problem until my new keychain comes in. I wear that thing with pride even now!


Remember and note down your emergency code incase the app borks. If you don't, you can't unlink your phone to your account and I don't think SE allow it without said code.
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
#9 Dec 02 2013 at 5:47 AM Rating: Good
Thanks. That's definitely sound advice, especially coming from a BlackBerry 10 user running the app sideloaded! For what it's worth, it runs just fine. We'll see if it continues to do so.
____________________________
Blog: http://robertcrist.me/

Current: FFXIV | EVE Online (again)
Former: FFXI | The Matrix Online (FOREVER!!!) | STO | SW:TOR | EQ2 | WoW | Florensia | RF Online

FFXI :: Valefor :: Dareknight, Darexius
FFXIV :: Valefor :: Dare Knight
EVE Online :: Dare Knight, Hazel Knight, Rex Knight
#10 Dec 02 2013 at 3:33 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
SolomonGrundy wrote:


Remember and note down your emergency code incase the app borks. If you don't, you can't unlink your phone to your account and I don't think SE allow it without said code.


They will, it will just take a LOT of fighting with them over it. Better to just take the 5 seconds to be proactive than argue with them for a month.
#11 Dec 02 2013 at 3:38 PM Rating: Excellent
****
5,745 posts
darexius2010, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
And thank you for reminding me of the app. I'll have to add that to my account. My BlackBerry Z30 runs Android apps extremely fluidly, so it shouldn't be a problem until my new keychain comes in. I wear that thing with pride even now!

Is there a reason that you would switch back to a physical token rather than continuing to use your BlackBerry? If you just keep using your BlackBerry, that's one less thing you need to worry about carrying around.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#12 Dec 03 2013 at 2:01 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
63 posts
Where would one find this "emergency code?"

I use the app and I didn't even think what would happen if my phone ends up pooping out on me. That's a good suggestion!

Nevermind! I just logged into my SE account and jotted it down!

Edited, Dec 3rd 2013 3:03am by FatChocobro
____________________________
FFXIV: Fat Chocobro (Balmung) Level 50 WHM, SCH, BLM, PLD -- MIN, GSM,
FFXIV: Fat Chocobro (Siren) MNK: 21
#13 Dec 03 2013 at 8:10 PM Rating: Good
svlyons wrote:
darexius2010, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
And thank you for reminding me of the app. I'll have to add that to my account. My BlackBerry Z30 runs Android apps extremely fluidly, so it shouldn't be a problem until my new keychain comes in. I wear that thing with pride even now!

Is there a reason that you would switch back to a physical token rather than continuing to use your BlackBerry? If you just keep using your BlackBerry, that's one less thing you need to worry about carrying around.


Nostalgia is one determining factor. Another is reliability. The keychain is a device who's purpose is to give me a code when I try to log in. With my BlackBerry, if I ever have to do an update and it breaks Android app usage, or some other anomaly occurs, I have to forcibly remove the app from my account, reinstall it, reauthorize it, etc. It's adding more steps than are necessary. Rather than deal with all that if it ever happens, I feel it'd be better to just have a device who's purpose is to simply give me the code without fail.

That and I don't mind screaming 'I PLAY FINAL FANTASY GAMES!!!' by wearing a big honkin token on my keyring ;)
____________________________
Blog: http://robertcrist.me/

Current: FFXIV | EVE Online (again)
Former: FFXI | The Matrix Online (FOREVER!!!) | STO | SW:TOR | EQ2 | WoW | Florensia | RF Online

FFXI :: Valefor :: Dareknight, Darexius
FFXIV :: Valefor :: Dare Knight
EVE Online :: Dare Knight, Hazel Knight, Rex Knight
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 76 All times are in CST
BrokenFox, Anonymous Guests (75)