Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

FFXIV APP - Show overall DPS for dungeonFollow

#1 Dec 02 2013 at 9:30 PM Rating: Decent
3 posts
Ever since update before last, I can't seem to get the FFXIV APP to show overall DPS for the dungeon. That used to be default, but now it only shows the per fight, and it clears after every fight. I can't find a setting or anything to put it back. Used to be, it would just show total DPS, then you clear it when you want to reset it. How do I get it back to doing that?
#2 Dec 02 2013 at 10:41 PM Rating: Excellent
**
924 posts
Parse->Settings->Other->Auto-Reset->False

Was added a few updates ago. You can also set the reset to every 10 seconds if "Any" action has not been performed.
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#3 Dec 02 2013 at 11:00 PM Rating: Decent
3 posts
No bueno. What am I missing? Screenshot attached.

http://postimg.org/image/rtvyl94l5/

Edited, Dec 3rd 2013 12:00am by ATXFerret
#4 Dec 03 2013 at 12:43 AM Rating: Excellent
**
924 posts
Not missing anything at all actually. If you don't want the auto-reset just turn auto-reset off on that page :)
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#5 Dec 03 2013 at 1:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
161 posts
Can this app be used on PS3?
#6 Dec 03 2013 at 2:19 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,270 posts
I might be reading this wrong, so feel free to correct me but... overall dps for a dungeon is very different than just turning off the auto- reset.

EG.

If there are roughly 20 pulls in a dungeon, then the parser would register 20 fights worth of data. Lets just say that the dungeon takes you 60 minutes, and each dd does a total damage of 100k each, and that each fight is roughly 120 seconds. (40 minutes fighting 20 minutes going between/waiting on stuff).

If you turn off the auto reset, it treats it as one long 60 minute fight, which doesnt accurately represent DPS. You are basically saying 100,000/3600 = 27dps

To show dungeon dps, you would have to combine the 20 fights, and ignore the time gaps between them. So you are looking at 100,000/2400 . 41 dps

#7 Dec 03 2013 at 2:28 PM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
dustinfoley wrote:
I might be reading this wrong, so feel free to correct me but... overall dps for a dungeon is very different than just turning off the auto- reset.

EG.

If there are roughly 20 pulls in a dungeon, then the parser would register 20 fights worth of data. Lets just say that the dungeon takes you 60 minutes, and each dd does a total damage of 100k each, and that each fight is roughly 120 seconds. (40 minutes fighting 20 minutes going between/waiting on stuff).

If you turn off the auto reset, it treats it as one long 60 minute fight, which doesnt accurately represent DPS. You are basically saying 100,000/3600 = 27dps

To show dungeon dps, you would have to combine the 20 fights, and ignore the time gaps between them. So you are looking at 100,000/2400 . 41 dps


And now you are able to understand why DPS has always been silly in the first place. Why bother calculating battle times and dividing total damage by a uniform number when you can just look at total damage.
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#8 Dec 03 2013 at 2:41 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,270 posts
Well what kills me, is its really a pointless measure unless its a tank and spank. 90% of content you dont get to just sit there and burn a mob. The more mechanic rich a fight is, the less value there is on DPS, stuff like the last boss in Quarn temple come to mind. Sure you need dps, but you need to be doing 20 other things at once.

EG
Average WP SR, not a tank and spank, sure you can compare DD1 to DD2, but tank is spamming ae agro and defensive cool downs and doing very little dmg, and healer is either spamming heals or 1-2 holys.

Non-SR wp: First boss is tank and spank, and you can compare dd1, dd2, tank, healer no issues, Last boss though, DD1 is on boss, DD2 is killing adds so saying DD1 did more dps is a silly metric, because DD2 is having to space out add, kite, wait for spawns, etc.
#9 Dec 03 2013 at 4:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,030 posts
dustinfoley wrote:
Well what kills me, is its really a pointless measure unless its a tank and spank. 90% of content you dont get to just sit there and burn a mob. The more mechanic rich a fight is, the less value there is on DPS, stuff like the last boss in Quarn temple come to mind. Sure you need dps, but you need to be doing 20 other things at once.

EG
Average WP SR, not a tank and spank, sure you can compare DD1 to DD2, but tank is spamming ae agro and defensive cool downs and doing very little dmg, and healer is either spamming heals or 1-2 holys.

Non-SR wp: First boss is tank and spank, and you can compare dd1, dd2, tank, healer no issues, Last boss though, DD1 is on boss, DD2 is killing adds so saying DD1 did more dps is a silly metric, because DD2 is having to space out add, kite, wait for spawns, etc.


It shouldn't be used a source for competition, agreed. Its intended use is to see if everyone is doing their jobs.

Example: DPS 1 and 2 have dealt 100k damage but DPS 3 has only dealt 30k. Something's wrong.

In the case that a DPS is assigned to a specific mechanic or something.. well the group would be aware of it so no harm no foul.

Edited, Dec 3rd 2013 5:31pm by BrokenFox
#10 Dec 03 2013 at 4:41 PM Rating: Decent
3 posts
Because with total damage, it's impossible to tell if you're improving yourself without doing the exact same instance, the exact same pulls, with the exact same procs. It's never going to happen. DPS gives you a bar with which to measure yourself.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 81 All times are in CST
scchan, Theonehio, Anonymous Guests (79)