Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Time for me to leave FFXIVFollow

#27 Dec 04 2013 at 12:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Gnu wrote:

4.) Today's complete stranger is tomorrow's most helpful friend. Go figure. Who knew that Tank who was struggling to remember shield oath at Stone Vigil would later become the Uber tank that leads the FC through Coil? Give people a chance to improve. For the most part they will.


So true. I remember asking on these forums how people were running around so fast in the town and thinking that I needed to level archer to use "Sprint" like it was the new thief. I got super Lol'ed.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#28 Dec 04 2013 at 12:35 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Gnu wrote:
So the game is limited to launch content, and the players are your typical MMO mix of casual-friendly, hardcore-friendly, hardcore-jerks, casual-jerks and people on drugs. Is that unusual?

Even after reading your entire post I'm still not sure if you are quitting, and telling everyone here, because of the game, or the community, or because MMO's just aren't your thing.

Whether or not you have fun playing FFXIV does depend a great deal on finding a great FC and good friends to play with. You have to be the kind of person that makes friends. There are a ton of ways to meet cool people in FFXIV (the DF is not one of them).

Topping the list, straight from the most common FFXI advice of all time:
1.) Make you own party.
- go to Revenant's Toll and /shout for "AK normal run for casual players LFM 1/4" This will totally work. I would join. Trust me, you are not alone wanting a low-stress environment to have fun in your free time.

2.) Ask around in your FC if anyone needs help. Go re-fight Hydra or Chimera for fun. Just join a /shout party. Why not? Help, help, help any chance you get, anyone that needs it.

3.) During any of these events (which have players from your server) take note of the players with positive attitudes. Tell them so. "That run was fun. Well done. Good times." Then send them a friend invite. The friends-list is a valuable tool if you want to maximize your MMO fun!

4.) Today's complete stranger is tomorrow's most helpful friend. Go figure. Who knew that Tank who was struggling to remember shield oath at Stone Vigil would later become the Uber tank that leads the FC through Coil? Give people a chance to improve. For the most part they will.

Now check your friends list when you log on and send a couple tells first thing to see if they need help -OR- are planning something cool you can join in on. After you find a cool friend or two, ask to join their FC. Don't expect a new FC to jump through hoops to help you. Help them first. Most players remember who helped them and try to make absolutely sure they can repay the favor when the chance arises.

--------

The only way to improve the community in FF is for each player to do their part to make it better. Can't find cool people? Start by being a cool person. Other cool people will find you. It takes time and effort to develop truly rewarding friendships. Then the fun will multiply. Fun, fun, for everyone.


That is really good advice....
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#29 Dec 04 2013 at 3:23 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,172 posts
Theonehio wrote:
Shiener wrote:
To many people rush to the end, and for what reason?


Because the developers of newer "standard" MMORPGs want us to, that's the only reason.


Most people rush to the end because it's where most of the content will be and that is what players want, not the devs.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#30 Dec 04 2013 at 3:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,147 posts
Not gonna lie, CT's week-long lockout for loot took a lot of wind out of my sails. On one end being a relic BLM, then at best, pretty much DL everything else makes me wonder what the point is.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#31 Dec 04 2013 at 3:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Ha, you should have taken a break like... a month ago? I rushed through got a relic beat some Coil and said "OK, this will be lots of fun with more content. Be back for 2.1!"

And it's been wonderful. I'm really looking forward to the new expansion, having been logged out for a month.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1183812[/ffxivsig]
#32 Dec 04 2013 at 3:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
deniswriter wrote:
I was better than many of the other WHMs...


Maybe this is part of your problem... WHM is not as much fun in this game, for whatever reason it's quite a difficult job if the group is not over-geared.

I was a 75 WHM in FFXI for years, an end-game healer for Sky, Sea, Dynamis, etc... And I have played my fiance's toon a few times recently to help her advance and it's no freaking joke.

I kind of hate WHM in FFXIV actually, I'm glad I decided not to be a healer in this game. If I were to be one, I'd probably go SCH.

Try changing it up, maybe BLM or SMN if you can put up with slightly longer queue times... I just do some crafting or gathering while I'm queued so I barely notice as a DRG.

____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#33 Dec 04 2013 at 3:52 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,232 posts
Seriha wrote:
Not gonna lie, CT's week-long lockout for loot took a lot of wind out of my sails. On one end being a relic BLM, then at best, pretty much DL everything else makes me wonder what the point is.

Point?

Not everyone online is 50 and decked out
Not everyone who will ever play ffxiv is playing it
Fun
Excitement
Other jobs
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#34 Dec 04 2013 at 4:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Seriha wrote:
Not gonna lie, CT's week-long lockout for loot took a lot of wind out of my sails. On one end being a relic BLM, then at best, pretty much DL everything else makes me wonder what the point is.


Ya, it's the same here, you log on for one night and run through what you need. That being said, I've just logged on a bit less for the rest of week and gathered, crafted, leveled alts, joined random shouts who need help on something. We're only a couple weeks away from Crystal Tower being released, can obtain on ilvl 80 gear on DL jobs, run with more people, it adds another night in the week to do something. Same thing with King Moogle, but if all your worried about is decking out one job and that's it, ugh, it's gonna be pointless to play.
____________________________

#35 Dec 04 2013 at 4:57 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,147 posts
LebargeX wrote:
Seriha wrote:
Not gonna lie, CT's week-long lockout for loot took a lot of wind out of my sails. On one end being a relic BLM, then at best, pretty much DL everything else makes me wonder what the point is.

Point?

Not everyone online is 50 and decked out
Not everyone who will ever play ffxiv is playing it
Fun
Excitement
Other jobs

Content has a life span for me. I've never been shy in expressing that opinion. And if me wanting loot for my reasonable efforts subsequently makes me a loot *****, then I'll accept that accusation, too. This is pretty much me saying that if I wanted to take LNC up, I could have it on par with my BLM, if not a smidge weaker after a few weeks. These lock outs pretty much assure that that can't happen and spreads it out to months. And in part at the expense of my BLM's growth, to boot.

So, let's say I got a piece of gear for the week. What's the point of me going again and incurring durability loss, thus a gil expense, for nothing tangible. Fun, you say? Will that be the case 10 weeks from now after we've possibly run it dozens of times? Odds are I would've run it with my friends to begin with, too. I really can't emphasize enough how much I ******* hate time gating, though. And I'm honestly sick of MMOs believing that we, as players, like it, too. We may know why it's there, as content certainly takes time to develop, but then this leads to the inevitable question of whether or not our money's actually being put to its best use for the game first, and then SE's other ventures.

I'm not a hardcore no-lifer, but I hate being held back just because. And this isn't even their pinnacle content like BC. I'm tired of condoning this crap with flimsy excuses like it's the RMT's fault or people won't play nice with each other. I hope enough ***** about this and Yoshi waffles in the 2 weeks we have before patch. I'd be more tolerant of once a day, as I'm sure many others would be. But if stays at 1 week? Why should I be excited? Why should I not expect more of the same in the future?
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#36 Dec 04 2013 at 5:38 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
I can respect what you are saying Seriha. With just a bit more free time I would be feeling the lack of things to do myself. Right now helping friends, or even strangers, catch up is my go-to activity for fun.

Still working through Coil, a bit further each week. So I'm kinda in the middle of the pack. Not bored yet!

Even though, as you say, there are reasons for time gating (interesting term), I'm not going to try to convince you that you're not frustrated. Frustration should be discussed and then addressed as often as possible! Clearly the MMO world could use some innovations in character development to offer new avenues past the level cap.

Any end-game advancement ideas you have seen that would fit in FFXIV? A complimentary system to stats and gear?
#37 Dec 04 2013 at 6:02 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,147 posts
Well, if we're being brutally honest, I'd add the fact that gear progression is tied so strongly to dungeon content at the moment as a frustration as well as zero open-world endgame. A couple beastmen dailies isn't going to change the latter in any respectable manner. And crafting obviously suffers with its best being locked to i70 at the moment with CT being i80 and BC at i90. Yoshi fearing RMT is also exactly why crafting is in that situation. I've talked about workarounds before, with maybe a little dash of faith in the community not being douchebags to one another, or at least your own immediate circle of friends.

I saw Hyan make another thread about how he believes these lockouts help his demographic. I'm going to assume he's talking about casuals. I'm going to say this does nothing to help casuals at all. The people who would feel inclined to blitz through gear acquisition, were it possible here, will likely be forming their own 8-man groups (and then some if it's ever possible). They'll probably do it on Monday and not give a **** for the rest of the week to boot. Hence it being highly unlikely they'd actually want to play with the casuals, or would do so as little as possible as not to offend their delicate sensibilities. In personally approaching this from the casual perspective, I consider that maybe I have a Saturday all to myself, and thus 8 hours I could throw at CT for the sake of a secondary job. I get in and in under 2 hours with my first run, I get a drop. CT is now useless to me for those remaining 6 hours. Could I do something else like level another job? Sure. But then what I do when everything is 50 and in full DL? Make money? Why? Crafting is arbitrarily second-rate.

This is what I like to call an artificial Game Over. It happens with time gating. It happens with raiding being the only source of gear tiers after a point. It's basically a problem in the assumption that everyone can or does want to play the same way. We don't. It doesn't mean we want hand-outs, mind you. It just means we want something to do so we always feel like our avatars are growing and improving. And frankly, people need to get mad that SE is telling us we can't play a game we're paying for. Just because this problem doesn't apply to someone who only plays a couple hours a week does not mean it isn't a problem.

Solutions? Sure, I've got ideas. But I'm feeling too cynical right now to even want to express them. And this is before even considering the language barrier. Right now, the best we can hope for is that community reps see people are unhappy with this information.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#38Parathyroid, Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 6:16 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Bingo.
#39 Dec 04 2013 at 8:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Seriha wrote:
I saw Hyan make another thread about how he believes these lockouts help his demographic. I'm going to assume he's talking about casuals. I'm going to say this does nothing to help casuals at all. The people who would feel inclined to blitz through gear acquisition, were it possible here, will likely be forming their own 8-man groups (and then some if it's ever possible). They'll probably do it on Monday and not give a @#%^ for the rest of the week to boot. Hence it being highly unlikely they'd actually want to play with the casuals, or would do so as little as possible as not to offend their delicate sensibilities.


I play casually, and my sensibilities are anything but delicate. You can't judge someone by their playtime. For every hardcore player who likes to dismiss someone's pathetic n00b build, there's another who enjoys patiently guiding newcomers through endgame dungeons all the time. You can't lump hardcore players into one stereotype of despising casual play nor can you lump casual players into one basket so you can conveniently blame them all for not respecting your problems.

You might not like the game mechanics SE has chosen for this game, but lavishing prejudice (on what's really a diverse group of fellow players) over it doesn't help you one bit. I'm inclined to agree that these artificial lockouts on endgame content don't server any meaningful purpose, but I can't agree with the way you've chosen to express it.
#40 Dec 04 2013 at 9:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
LebargeX wrote:
Seriha wrote:
Not gonna lie, CT's week-long lockout for loot took a lot of wind out of my sails. On one end being a relic BLM, then at best, pretty much DL everything else makes me wonder what the point is.

Point?

Not everyone online is 50 and decked out
Not everyone who will ever play ffxiv is playing it
Fun
Excitement
Other jobs


The only thing I'm worried about an one week lockout is that you won't get enough people to play because every other people are locked out. Just hope that DF works out alright, or it's only loot lockout and not participation lockout.

I'm quite bitter at Coil lockout mechanic because I rarely get the chance to do it (and usually until the last day or two before reset) because finding a party at your Turn is such a pain in the you-know-where. I'm nearly full iLvl 90, have experience to T4, know the fights inside out, rarely if ever get hit by AoE, got bunchs of sub class to switch if required, and still struggling to even get into a party for T1 because everyone else either have their own static party (which I can't due to time difference or not being hardcore) or just eventually give up on waiting 3 hours to get that last spot filled.
____________________________



[ffxivsig]1807831[/ffxivsig]
#41 Dec 04 2013 at 9:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,147 posts
The thing is I've seen people attempting to justify the lock-outs because it will keep casuals and hardcores closer together. I'm more than aware that there are far more diverse demographics than the two extremes, but this does not actually achieve what they think it does. It is not encouragement to make them play nice or want to guide strangers. People more apt for that are doing it already, myself included with the PUGs I've picked up while running with my PLD friend as we explain bosses or offer more general tips.

I tried to explain that this actually hurts casuals, too. In fact, all time-sensitive gating does. Miss a day of Dynamis in XI? You'll never be able to make up that profit. Not get your drop in CT this week or simply not have the time time to try? Next week doesn't care. One only.

As long as someone is trying, they will eventually hit 50. As long as they run dungeons, they will eventually finish a DL set. These are not time-restricted. Do it in a couple days or do it in a couple months. I have no beef with either, honestly, as long as the person on the other end is having fun. But I also know not everyone is going to want to level all jobs. They may not care about crafting. They may do anything faster than I would or could. I don't begrudge them for that. Of course, I hold no sympathy for those who do rush and complain there's nothing to do. I put a lot of time into my character. I don't believe I rushed in the manner some may dictate. So it can get a bit nauseating for those to narrow-mindedly fault others playing how they like within reason. The underlying message they, in turn, convey is that, "The game isn't for you!"

Even if that isn't Yoshi's intent, he's saying that the more he places restrictions on content. I may be an insignificant drop in the bucket as an individual, but I'm not alone on this. I'll spend my time elsewhere, much as I'd like to see XIV thrive. So pardon me for being crass about it, but I criticize because I care.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#42 Dec 04 2013 at 10:00 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
16,959 posts
Seriha wrote:
I put a lot of time into my character. I don't believe I rushed in the manner some may dictate. So it can get a bit nauseating for those to narrow-mindedly fault others playing how they like within reason. The underlying message they, in turn, convey is that, "The game isn't for you!"

Even if that isn't Yoshi's intent, he's saying that the more he places restrictions on content. I may be an insignificant drop in the bucket as an individual, but I'm not alone on this. I'll spend my time elsewhere, much as I'd like to see XIV thrive. So pardon me for being crass about it, but I criticize because I care.
I'm not at this point quite yet, but I can see my FC (12 of us, friends from before FFXIV) falling apart because of it. We already lost a static PLD because of progression limitations.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#43 Dec 04 2013 at 10:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Seriha wrote:
The thing is I've seen people attempting to justify the lock-outs because it will keep casuals and hardcores closer together. I'm more than aware that there are far more diverse demographics than the two extremes, but this does not actually achieve what they think it does. It is not encouragement to make them play nice or want to guide strangers. People more apt for that are doing it already, myself included with the PUGs I've picked up while running with my PLD friend as we explain bosses or offer more general tips.

I tried to explain that this actually hurts casuals, too. In fact, all time-sensitive gating does. Miss a day of Dynamis in XI? You'll never be able to make up that profit. Not get your drop in CT this week or simply not have the time time to try? Next week doesn't care. One only.

As long as someone is trying, they will eventually hit 50. As long as they run dungeons, they will eventually finish a DL set. These are not time-restricted. Do it in a couple days or do it in a couple months. I have no beef with either, honestly, as long as the person on the other end is having fun. But I also know not everyone is going to want to level all jobs. They may not care about crafting. They may do anything faster than I would or could. I don't begrudge them for that. Of course, I hold no sympathy for those who do rush and complain there's nothing to do. I put a lot of time into my character. I don't believe I rushed in the manner some may dictate. So it can get a bit nauseating for those to narrow-mindedly fault others playing how they like within reason. The underlying message they, in turn, convey is that, "The game isn't for you!"

Even if that isn't Yoshi's intent, he's saying that the more he places restrictions on content. I may be an insignificant drop in the bucket as an individual, but I'm not alone on this. I'll spend my time elsewhere, much as I'd like to see XIV thrive. So pardon me for being crass about it, but I criticize because I care.


Thing is, FFXI had these types of lockouts on the majority of its endgame events and there was no casual community to speak of over there. This is an SE thing. It has nothing to do with players who play more vs. players who play less and I really don't think the community turning in on itself to lay blame serves any constructive purpose no matter how many people think it's okay to do so.

It's probably nothing more than an obvious speed bump designed to keep your subscription dragged out longer so you don't wrap up your gear acquisitions in a month and quit till the next major patch. Maybe there's another reason, and Yoshi should certainly be encouraged to offer one of his eloquent explanations as to why. But I can tell you, I don't care about getting all the latest toys, nor do I care about how fast anyone else gets them. Barriers like this have no meaning to someone taking their time with the game; you can't put that at my feet or anyone else who plays like I do. It's SE who owes you an explanation and who need to be convinced of the error of their ways, not people labeled "casual."

Edited, Dec 4th 2013 11:30pm by Xoie
#44 Dec 04 2013 at 10:27 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,147 posts
Quote:
I'm not at this point quite yet, but I can see my FC (12 of us, friends from before FFXIV) falling apart because of it. We already lost a static PLD because of progression limitations.

That's unfortunate.

Maybe I'm backwards in my thinking, but I've always felt people are more generous with their time and effort when resources aren't choked off. I'd like to think Abyssea was a good example of this for XI, at least when it came to Emp armor papers. Strangers could quickly come together for a goal, and while occasionally face competition, sometimes people were nice enough to alternate. Excess typically wasn't fought over and sometimes it wasn't uncommon to walk away with even more than you intended to come out with.

Either way, I wouldn't expect a gear set all in one go. On the other hand, 30 weeks for all of them? Too steep a curve for me.

Quote:
It's SE who owes you an explanation and who need to be convinced of their errors of their ways, not people labeled "casual."

If people weren't defending this, I'd agree. I'm a freakin' white knight for casual players and it pains me to see people falling for this PR trap. SE did ****** stuff in XI I also called them out on, but that lack of change contributed to my earlier bout of cynicism when it came to offering solutions. This one, however, isn't complex. Let people work. Let people get their reward. They want to worry about keeping someone 2-3 months from now? I'd actually be worried about keeping some right this moment.

Edited, Dec 4th 2013 11:39pm by Seriha
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#45 Dec 05 2013 at 5:42 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
53 posts
I hear you OP.

I am kind of in the same position, though I have yet not hit 50 with a single class and is kind of trying not to level if possible (Currently at lvl 42)
That end game dungeon spamming sound like not fun at all to me.

I am in a fairly good FC I think. The problem is that almost everybody else is lvl 50 now and spamming those end game dungeons, complaining about all bad groups they are in ("this tank sucks", "those dps are bad", "this healer sucks")
I wish I could find a LS, or worst case, maybe another FC (?) with demographic more similar to my playing style.

Thing is, I really, really love most other aspects about this game. I actually prefer to stay and enjoy the scenery, atmosphere, story at the fullest. And the rain! It is so freaking well done! Both the sound and sight of it!

Regarding dungeons, if possible, I like to enter them without checking ten youtube videos to know exact tactics if possible.
I do understand that other just want to clear the dungeons, so to avoid too many wipes, I checked tactics for the last few storyline dungeons.

My very best dungeon experience so far was a dungeon at lvl 32 (I think, it was an optional one) where we PUGed from different servers. None of us had ran the dungeon before. We wiped two times, realized what went wrong and then made another try ("hmmm, we get wet standing here and then all those electric monsters appear and zap us, what if we...") and cleared the bosses!
I am pretty sure I will remember that specific dungeon run for a long time, and if nothing else, it is one very positive memory I will have from this game.

It is now a week since I last logged in to the game.
Maybe I will wait until 2.1 hits, and then check out that housing stuff and maybe continue trying to level slowly.
Or possibly, start all over again with another character to see how the storyline is in the other cities.
#46 Dec 05 2013 at 9:07 AM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
I saw Hyan make another thread about how he believes these lockouts help his demographic. I'm going to assume he's talking about casuals. I'm going to say this does nothing to help casuals at all. The people who would feel inclined to blitz through gear acquisition, were it possible here, will likely be forming their own 8-man groups (and then some if it's ever possible). They'll probably do it on Monday and not give a @#%^ for the rest of the week to boot. Hence it being highly unlikely they'd actually want to play with the casuals, or would do so as little as possible as not to offend their delicate sensibilities. In personally approaching this from the casual perspective, I consider that maybe I have a Saturday all to myself, and thus 8 hours I could throw at CT for the sake of a secondary job. I get in and in under 2 hours with my first run, I get a drop. CT is now useless to me for those remaining 6 hours. Could I do something else like level another job? Sure. But then what I do when everything is 50 and in full DL? Make money? Why? Crafting is arbitrarily second-rate.


I do not disagree with you regarding what the hardcore population would do in this scenario. Yet I personally do not see much value in the hardcore and casuals playing together. If that's what somebody wants from the game, then SE's design direction may not be for their interests.

When you say that this does nothing to help casuals at all, I'm not sure whether you mean that the hardcore population will not run the dungeon with them or something else. I suppose that you mean the former, sorry if I'm mistaken.

The point of my previous post was simply that the delicate balance between the hardcore and casual calls for one of two measures. You either artificially lock the hardcore population out of progressing too fast in an environment where equipment is easily accessible (meaning it doesn't take lots of time to obtain equipment). The other possibility is that you don't lock the hardcore out of clearing the content in an environment where equipment takes significant time investment to acquire.

We can see that SE has chosen to go with the first option, which as a casual works in my favor. It works in my favor because the equipment does not take a lot of time investment to obtain, plus the effort I put in does not exceed the caps enforced by the devs.

Yoshi-P discussed the overall progression design in the recent interview, stating that the players are encouraged to create a content rotation cycle for themselves. Afaik in 2.1 this can consist of the Duty Roulette, Daily Beastmen quests and the CT (for casuals). All in all during a single week you should be able to cap out your tomes as well as obtain a piece of gear from the CT.

Maybe we are in a disagreement for what is considered casual. Having every job at 50 in full DL does not sound casual to me. Then we can just agree to disagree.

EDIT: Regarding how lockouts hurt casuals: That is only true if there is something meaningful to lose by not clearing the content. The patch cycle is loose enough that no harm will come to those who aren't constantly maxing out their tomes. Of course, the more jobs you want to utilize the more pressure is put on you. It should be a decision based on how much time you can invest in the game.

Edited, Dec 5th 2013 6:15pm by Hyanmen
#47 Dec 05 2013 at 9:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Hairspray wrote:
deniswriter wrote:
I was better than many of the other WHMs...


Maybe this is part of your problem... WHM is not as much fun in this game, for whatever reason it's quite a difficult job if the group is not over-geared.

I was a 75 WHM in FFXI for years, an end-game healer for Sky, Sea, Dynamis, etc... And I have played my fiance's toon a few times recently to help her advance and it's no freaking joke.

I kind of hate WHM in FFXIV actually, I'm glad I decided not to be a healer in this game. If I were to be one, I'd probably go SCH.

Try changing it up, maybe BLM or SMN if you can put up with slightly longer queue times... I just do some crafting or gathering while I'm queued so I barely notice as a DRG.



Aint that the truth... Way different than FFXI...

I can always tell within 30 seconds of a fight how it is going to go, mainly by how much the tank is getting hit for.. If they are under geared I am thinking we are going to be fighting for our life the whole way. Undergeared DPS also can be a issue and of coarse the WHM needs proper gear. Gear in this game make a much bigger difference. People like to blame everyone especially the healer but allot of times it is a under geared tank that is the issue. We only get so much mp and only cast spells so fast and their is nothing we can do about that.

Yea I loved whm in FFXI but not as much in this game. it heal, heal, heal occasional ensuna. Not as much to do in FFXIV but if there was it would be really ruff...



Edited, Dec 5th 2013 10:25am by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#48 Dec 05 2013 at 12:40 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,147 posts
Quote:
Regarding how lockouts hurt casuals: That is only true if there is something meaningful to lose by not clearing the content. The patch cycle is loose enough that no harm will come to those who aren't constantly maxing out their tomes. Of course, the more jobs you want to utilize the more pressure is put on you. It should be a decision based on how much time you can invest in the game.

It is no longer a decision when that decision is taken way.

Yoshi can try to encourage us to create this silly glut of rotations that hurt FFXI in its horizontal peak, but that doesn't change the fact content has lifespans for people. AK/WP gear? Well, disregarding AK gear is better by default there, I have a retainer that's basically full of the stuff just by playing the tome game. I'm missing the Hoplite Circlet and perhaps the Heitaros boots. But hey, RNG gonna RNG, right? How did I get these things? By rolling greed and other people not wanting them. I still participated in the dungeons, of course, but there was no SE slapping my wrist when I reached for the cookie jar. And nobody cared.

SE going Gandalf on us and saying we shall not pass a certain progression threshold is flying squarely in the face of one of the game's key features. And it will only get worse the more jobs they add in the future if not told this isn't what's good for their players.

Edited, Dec 5th 2013 1:42pm by Seriha
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#49 Dec 05 2013 at 2:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
425 posts
Hairspray wrote:
Good luck, if you do decide to come back (Happens a lot more then you'd think in MMO's) make sure you get into a Free Company that is doing end-game content so you can get past things like Titan a lot easier and not feel so burnt-out. Also, after about 10 years of MMO playing the best piece of advice I can give is to find a game/life balance. Don't play 24/7, first of all it will cost you a lot of relationships IRL, and possibly your job, learn to take it easier and you'll probably enjoy it longer.

This individual speaks the truth.

Edited, Dec 5th 2013 3:12pm by TwilightSkye
____________________________
FFXI character: Elathia ::F Tarutaru::87SCH/75RDM/70WHM/54BLM::Cerberus/Ragnarok/Bahamut::1/23/2004 - 3/25/2015 :: Retired
RDM First 75 Job :: RDM Maat victory: March 28, 2008 (1/3) :: San d'Oria R10 Long live King Destin :: Praise be to the late King Ranperre.
FFXIV character: Selene Silverstorm :: F Lalafell :: WAR60/WHM60/BLM60 :: Ragnarok :: 9/2013 -
Patch note archives for FFXIV: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/patchnote_log/
#50 Dec 05 2013 at 2:40 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
Nashred wrote:
Hairspray wrote:
deniswriter wrote:
I was better than many of the other WHMs...


Maybe this is part of your problem... WHM is not as much fun in this game, for whatever reason it's quite a difficult job if the group is not over-geared.

I was a 75 WHM in FFXI for years, an end-game healer for Sky, Sea, Dynamis, etc... And I have played my fiance's toon a few times recently to help her advance and it's no freaking joke.

I kind of hate WHM in FFXIV actually, I'm glad I decided not to be a healer in this game. If I were to be one, I'd probably go SCH.

Try changing it up, maybe BLM or SMN if you can put up with slightly longer queue times... I just do some crafting or gathering while I'm queued so I barely notice as a DRG.



Aint that the truth... Way different than FFXI...

I can always tell within 30 seconds of a fight how it is going to go, mainly by how much the tank is getting hit for.. If they are under geared I am thinking we are going to be fighting for our life the whole way. Undergeared DPS also can be a issue and of coarse the WHM needs proper gear. Gear in this game make a much bigger difference. People like to blame everyone especially the healer but allot of times it is a under geared tank that is the issue. We only get so much mp and only cast spells so fast and their is nothing we can do about that.

Yea I loved whm in FFXI but not as much in this game. it heal, heal, heal occasional ensuna. Not as much to do in FFXIV but if there was it would be really ruff...



Edited, Dec 5th 2013 10:25am by Nashred


There are definitely times when I don't cast more than a couple spells per fight. Some days, I'm just not feeling up to putting in my all. Some days though, I go batty. I'm popping Cleric stance, Stone II, Aero/Aero II. Then CS off, cure, cure, regen, CS boom boom boom. You can keep yourself busy if you want to. I've yet to have anyone give me a hard time about it. If it's a trash mob with no AOE I'm back there with the Dragoon smacking stuff with my stick. I mean... why not? It's not like XI where DPS'ing as a caster slows you down.

Of course, I'm not talking boss fights. I reserve all MP for healing during a boss fight. In fact, I have two hotbars set up. One for pure healing, and the other for pseudo RDM'ing lol.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#51 Dec 05 2013 at 7:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
EDIT: Regarding how lockouts hurt casuals: That is only true if there is something meaningful to lose by not clearing the content. The patch cycle is loose enough that no harm will come to those who aren't constantly maxing out their tomes. Of course, the more jobs you want to utilize the more pressure is put on you. It should be a decision based on how much time you can invest in the game.


Not really, lockout does hurt everyone by various degrees. It's been months and the frigging Allaghan Pants of Maiming does not drop for me. Does not help when Allaghan drop is very chest specific. Tired of Primal not dropping your weapon? Hah, try weekly lockout Coil drop. Some people could go months without getting any drop by the NEED system. So the Myth Tome is very important to gear yourself up.
____________________________



[ffxivsig]1807831[/ffxivsig]
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 96 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (96)