Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Character stuck logged in...Follow

#77 Aug 18 2013 at 9:58 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
dawgdchi wrote:
locked out for about 12 hours, wish I knew what was going on. I loved the comment about about wishing they communicated better with the NA base.

Had my friend take 12 hours to get on our same server, and my wife took 7 hours. Another friend still hasn't been able to at all.

I don't doubt how much fun we'll have once they nail all this down, but with all the disappointment and frustration, can we at least communicate better? How hard are updates to twitter?

Yeah, just a "3102 is a bugger and we're working on it!" would be nice.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#78 Aug 18 2013 at 10:05 AM Rating: Good
**
787 posts
With this type of problems occurring this late in the schedule, one would think they would post hourly, or every few hours, on what's happening. Before the official forums curled up, we saw hundreds of pages of stuck players asking for help and looking for some information from the Devs on the ETA for the fix. All we saw posted for NA & EU was that everything was fixed and that you should reboot your client. I'm not sure why they can write-off the issues while there are still testers who have been affected by the issues for 40+ hours now. It doesn't build any confidence with their product if the Devs aren't keeping the testers abreast with any findings or fixes in progress.
#79 Aug 18 2013 at 10:05 AM Rating: Decent
*
125 posts
Yeah they should at least extend the open beta one day or something... Hey Wint, you happen to have Yoshi-P's number in your cell? I know, I know wishful thinking.Smiley: lol
____________________________
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1718060/
#80 Aug 18 2013 at 10:05 AM Rating: Good
**
259 posts
Yeah I dunno why they can't just tweet something to calm the masses a bit. Even if Bayohne would say something like "I have no updates, but I'll try to get one" would help. Right now, with no forums, what exactly is the community team doing?
#81 Aug 18 2013 at 10:07 AM Rating: Excellent
I reallllllly don't think SE was anticipating this kind of participation from testers. It's always a fine line though, you open a crap ton of servers, people complain MERGER! You don't have enough servers, I CAN'T LOG ON! IT'S TOO CROWDED! Every MMO I've gone into launch with, these are my expectations, it never changes. Even the great Blizzard can't handle these types of things on launch, it's inevitable. You're not gonna sink needless money into a game when you KNOW half of these people will not return a week down the road.

You could argue, if things went smoother, maybe they would of stuck it out, but even that's doubtful. Overall, the game itself runs well, there's few bugs, it's all server side now. I'm confident over the next 9 days that they can get this resolved.
____________________________

#82 Aug 18 2013 at 10:15 AM Rating: Good
**
787 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
You could argue, if things went smoother, maybe they would of stuck it out, but even that's doubtful. Overall, the game itself runs well, there's few bugs, it's all server side now. I'm confident over the next 9 days that they can get this resolved.


It's a great game, but it's the lack of Devs response to the login issues which is killing their credibility. Some tester's have been locked out for 40+ hours now and the only response that the community received was to restart their client.
#83 Aug 18 2013 at 10:29 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
The sad thing is I know the reason for the problem. The problem is they can't fix it until they shut down the servers. Simply put, the servers were pushed beyond max threshold. It's partially the fault of the cross server instances, but it's really the sheer number of users that broke it. I'd say it's Phase 4 Open users to be exact. So how do we fix the problem?

Well that's where it gets tricky. The servers can't install other server units unless there is a total shutdown. They're trying to work around the issue now without doing that. So basically this is a problem they'll solve once Open Beta is over. Once the complete shut down occurs, they can rebuild the server and add capacity. The Open beta people were just too much for the poor servers to handle. I had a feeling this would happen because what happened on Friday. Players were told that you couldn't create more than one character. That was a definite sign we were hitting maximum load balance.
#84 Aug 18 2013 at 10:34 AM Rating: Excellent
**
542 posts
I have to say this isn't much of a confidence booster IMO. Not just that there's a massive bug keeping thousands of logging in (or logging out, depending on how you look at it), but the way it's being handled. SE isn't exactly known for their strong communication and support, at least not in the English speaking community. Granted, other games have their own horror stories, but in a situation like this where thousands are unable to log in, I'd expect them to be scrambling to get someone, anyone, to come on as quickly as possible and let people know that they're aware of such a large issue and that they're doing everything they can to fix it. The community who wants to log in and play cares about the game, and many of them would appreciate being shown that the development team cares enough to give them a bit of information.

Right now we have dead official forums, dead beta forums, a twitter page that has not been updated for 7 hours, and a launcher which only has one very vague mention of any issues happening at all which was posted last night. The only reason anyone has any idea of what's going on is due to the community sharing their experiences which each other on forums and putting the pieces together themselves. Despite this issue in no way being a good thing, it would have been a perfect opportunity to show growth in their communication with the player base. Then at least we could say "Well this stinks, but SE has really grown quite a bit in their relations with the player base" rather than "Well this stinks, and SE communication over the issue is just as vague and cryptic as I last remember it."
#85 Aug 18 2013 at 10:36 AM Rating: Good
***
1,173 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
The sad thing is I know the reason for the problem. The problem is they can't fix it until they shut down the servers. Simply put, the servers were pushed beyond max threshold. It's partially the fault of the cross server instances, but it's really the sheer number of users that broke it. I'd say it's Phase 4 Open users to be exact. So how do we fix the problem?

Well that's where it gets tricky. The servers can't install other server units unless there is a total shutdown. They're trying to work around the issue now without doing that. So basically this is a problem they'll solve once Open Beta is over. Once the complete shut down occurs, they can rebuild the server and add capacity. The Open beta people were just too much for the poor servers to handle. I had a feeling this would happen because what happened on Friday. Players were told that you couldn't create more than one character. That was a definite sign we were hitting maximum load balance.


Smiley: dubious

I'm not saying that isn't it, but I can't connect the dots that would link up exceeding server threshold to the inability of the servers to recognize that an account is no longer logged in to the game. If you can help me understand that I'd appreciate it.
____________________________
Valion, San d'Oria - Retired
Odin Server
SAM90/PLD90/COR90/BLU90/RDM90/SCH90

Valion Chevalier, Limsa Lominsa
Hyperion Server
50 All Classes

"Please, I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed."
-New Gold Dreams (another short-lived webcomic)
#86 Aug 18 2013 at 10:37 AM Rating: Decent
*
130 posts
Susanoh wrote:
I have to say this isn't much of a confidence booster IMO. Not just that there's a massive bug keeping thousands of logging in (or logging out, depending on how you look at it), but the way it's being handled. SE isn't exactly known for their strong communication and support, at least not in the English speaking community. Granted, other games have their own horror stories, but in a situation like this where thousands are unable to log in, I'd expect them to be scrambling to get someone, anyone, to come on as quickly as possible and let people know that they're aware of such a large issue and that they're doing everything they can to fix it. The community who wants to log in and play cares about the game, and many of them would appreciate being shown that the development team cares enough to give them a bit of information.

Right now we have dead official forums, dead beta forums, a twitter page that has not been updated for 7 hours, and a launcher which only has one very vague mention of any issues happening at all which was posted last night. The only reason anyone has any idea of what's going on is due to the community sharing their experiences which each other on forums and putting the pieces together themselves. Despite this issue in no way being a good thing, it would have been a perfect opportunity to show growth in their communication with the player base. Then at least we could say "Well this stinks, but SE has really grown quite a bit in their relations with the player base" rather than "Well this stinks, and SE communication over the issue is just as vague and cryptic as I last remember it."


QFT
#87 Aug 18 2013 at 10:39 AM Rating: Good
***
3,736 posts
Yunchang wrote:

Smiley: dubious

I'm not saying that isn't it, but I can't connect the dots that would link up exceeding server threshold to the inability of the servers to recognize that an account is no longer logged in to the game. If you can help me understand that I'd appreciate it.


In any other game, the character would have idled out after 20 or 30 minutes or so. A long time to wait, but the problem would've been solved. FFXIV appears to not have this function, and so (for instance) my character who was disconnected changing zones last night, is still logged in now. Others have been logged in even longer.

He's right, even if SE doesn't have a solution for the problem yet, it would've been a good idea for them to at least tell us they're working on it.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#88 Aug 18 2013 at 10:43 AM Rating: Good
***
1,173 posts
Server threshold might be a symptom, but unless there's other information forthcoming I wouldn't say it's a cause of the problem. Put another way, I would expect to hit server threshold because players aren't able to logout properly, not that players aren't able to logout properly due to server threshold.

Also, not all parts of the game are agreeing with each other. Other players I speak with outside the game were able to see that I was offline within minutes of me getting the 3102 error, so at least part of the game knew I wasn't logged in.

Edited, Aug 18th 2013 11:45am by Yunchang
____________________________
Valion, San d'Oria - Retired
Odin Server
SAM90/PLD90/COR90/BLU90/RDM90/SCH90

Valion Chevalier, Limsa Lominsa
Hyperion Server
50 All Classes

"Please, I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed."
-New Gold Dreams (another short-lived webcomic)
#89 Aug 18 2013 at 10:46 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
So it sounds like the game server is aware that your character is offline, but it's not telling the lobby server that.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#90 Aug 18 2013 at 10:50 AM Rating: Good
***
1,173 posts
It's quite plausible, Catwho.

Even though they probably will need to take some time to figure out why it's happening, it'd be nice to get a blurb from SE flat out stating what is happening.

Otherwise, it feels like they haven't grown in their problem response capability since the old days of R0 in XI.
____________________________
Valion, San d'Oria - Retired
Odin Server
SAM90/PLD90/COR90/BLU90/RDM90/SCH90

Valion Chevalier, Limsa Lominsa
Hyperion Server
50 All Classes

"Please, I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed."
-New Gold Dreams (another short-lived webcomic)
#91 Aug 18 2013 at 10:55 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
A thought ocurred to me that since the JP servers are fine, but the NA/EU servers are borked, they're having major issues trying to solve the server problem from the other side of the planet.

The ISP in Montreal might have also freaked out due to the amount of sudden traffic and throttled them (giving us the 90000 errors, which are basically disconnects when traffic is being re-routed.)

It's also a cultural thing. Westerners like to hear "We're still working on it" freshly once an hour.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#92 Aug 18 2013 at 10:59 AM Rating: Decent
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
17,302 posts
Catwho wrote:
It's also a cultural thing. Westerners like to hear "We're still working on it" freshly once an hour.


I don't buy this excuse when it comes to SE's lack of public response for anything in general. They are a global company with decades of experience. They know what their user base is, what they are complaining about, what they want in terms of response (beyond instant fixes).
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#93 Aug 18 2013 at 11:02 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
TirithRR wrote:
Catwho wrote:
It's also a cultural thing. Westerners like to hear "We're still working on it" freshly once an hour.


I don't buy this excuse when it comes to SE's lack of public response for anything in general. They are a global company with decades of experience. They know what their user base is, what they are complaining about, what they want in terms of response (beyond instant fixes).


It took American power companies and ISPs decades to learn this. It's only in the last 1-2 years that they've really gotten on the ball about status updates at my power company, for example. Now I can punch in my zip code and get a "Yep we know about it, ETA is 3 hours" but that functionality was only put in place in the last year or so.

It's not an excuse, it's an explanation. I agree, they should know better by now.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#94 Aug 18 2013 at 11:03 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,731 posts
Catwho wrote:
princessary wrote:
I think it would be nice if they extended to beta until they get this issue resolved because if this persists once the game goes live an error like 3102 could cost them a serious number of subscriptions.


This is a good point. Get the damn thing fixed, and then give us another day to try to break it again. Smiley: grin


I don't know why they don't have a one month trial period for new players.. FFXI offers the first month free...
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#95 Aug 18 2013 at 11:05 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
17,302 posts
Nashred wrote:
Catwho wrote:
princessary wrote:
I think it would be nice if they extended to beta until they get this issue resolved because if this persists once the game goes live an error like 3102 could cost them a serious number of subscriptions.


This is a good point. Get the damn thing fixed, and then give us another day to try to break it again. Smiley: grin


I don't know why they don't have a one month trial period for new players.. FFXI offers the first month free...


They do. 30 days free when you register a game code (once per code, PC or PS3, 60 days total if you buy both).
http://www.xivnation.com/dev-tracker/letter-from-the-producer-live-part-viii-announcement-summary-08082013/

Edited, Aug 18th 2013 1:10pm by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#96 Aug 18 2013 at 11:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,731 posts
I think the worst part is since the forums are down they are not communicating with people.. This is the weekend and some people are sitting there hitting refresh instead of doing other things and wasting their weekend, If SE said hey we wont have this fixed for eta of 3 more hours at least we know what is going on.

What is funny is both me and my girlfriend logged out same time yesterday and we are on the same internet connection and she got in and I didn't...

We both logged out with exit game...



Edited, Aug 18th 2013 1:07pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#97 Aug 18 2013 at 11:06 AM Rating: Good
**
259 posts
Forums are back up, but no messages from a dev or community rep. You can go post your character name/server in the 700 page thread though.
#98 Aug 18 2013 at 11:07 AM Rating: Decent
*
170 posts
Squander wrote:
Quote:
No way man. You can't be too busy to have someone, anyone hop on your twitter and bless your players(read: your livelihood) with 140 characters. Not buying.


Their twitter said that no one can log into the old servers, that they've made new NA servers and if you still want to play you should log into those. The Japanese servers also work. They have also posted in the forums regarding 3102 and 9000.

Could you supply a copy of this post from the forum so we can see cause as of right now I cant even log into their beta forums.
#99 Aug 18 2013 at 11:08 AM Rating: Good
**
259 posts
http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/102818-Regarding-Error-3102-Issue?p=1263032#post1263032
#100 Aug 18 2013 at 11:12 AM Rating: Default
SE stands to lose a lot of current and definately alot of potential customers over this. Im livid. If they wipe my work I put into over a stupid server side login error I may be pissed enough to say **** this game, after all I was ****** by SE over 1.0 before
#101 Aug 18 2013 at 11:14 AM Rating: Good
ArkKenea wrote:
Krycis wrote:
Even if this was a launch day issue, the past weekend would have been the smoothest launch I've ever participated in. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to log in as I find myself with a little bit of time, but you know what...it's not the end of the world. We're not paying for this, I've enjoyed my time with the game so far, so this hiccup will go down as such.

SE knows that this is very high profile, they know what kind of impact it can have on the success of the game. Nothing that they've done since ARR hit beta makes me believe they ignoring this issue, sitting in front of the TV watching movies. So, keep an eye on Twitter if you can't get into the beta forums and grab some breakfast.

It's a bummer that alot of us can't play, But that's what beta was for, finding these problems. We sure found 3102... Destroyed their forums..


It may have put a dent in my enjoyment at first but all the JP servers are up, they added new servers to accommodate us and the servers are really solid no error messages or crashes at all on Hades, don't know about 90000 though, It's not a perfect solution but you can check out new areas and such. We are actually lucky enough to be able to play in spite of everything, As for their forums I suspect they may have just turned them off in the end.
____________________________
Hocuspocus of Hades:
The Kings Majesties most excellent Hocus Pocus
Karma Zameleons - Zam.com Linkshell on Ultros Server!
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 9 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (9)