Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

PC Building AdviceFollow

#1 Sep 22 2013 at 2:27 PM Rating: Good
19 posts
Hey all. I've decided to switch from Mac to PC for gaming and would really like to play FFXIV. There seem to be too many issues with the PS3 version, but I can see that its actually a phenomenal game. Anyone have any advice for what kind of parts I should get? my budget is ~900 with monitor, maybe a little more but I prefer less.

I know that WoW does better with dual core CPUs and NVIDIA cards. Any similar quirks with the PC version of XIV?

Thanks in advance. Janky PS3 version aside, I'm having a lot of fun. I'm close to unlocking BLM and hope to switch back to CON once I'm on a PC and can target normally :P.
#2 Sep 22 2013 at 2:30 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,420 posts
My brother is running this game on an AMD quad core, and a Radeon 5770. The good news is, that these are a lil older and not that expensive.
I haven't heard of any Nvidia/AMD quirks yet. So i think your safe to go either way. Just don't cheese on the ram. 8 gigs will be plenty, and good ram goes a long way for anything you do on your PC.
____________________________

#3 Sep 22 2013 at 2:34 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,175 posts
worgendruid wrote:
I'm having a lot of fun. I'm close to unlocking BLM and hope to switch back to CON once I'm on a PC and can target normally :P.


Wait, you already play the game? Why spend $900 if you can already play it?
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#4 Sep 22 2013 at 2:37 PM Rating: Good
19 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
worgendruid wrote:
I'm having a lot of fun. I'm close to unlocking BLM and hope to switch back to CON once I'm on a PC and can target normally :P.


Wait, you already play the game? Why spend $900 if you can already play it?


I play it on the PS3, but do not like how that that version plays. Investing in a PC would allow me to play other games, too. Plus I currently only have a laptop and have been meaning to get a desktop.
#5 Sep 22 2013 at 2:58 PM Rating: Good
worgendruid wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
worgendruid wrote:
I'm having a lot of fun. I'm close to unlocking BLM and hope to switch back to CON once I'm on a PC and can target normally :P.


Wait, you already play the game? Why spend $900 if you can already play it?


I play it on the PS3, but do not like how that that version plays. Investing in a PC would allow me to play other games, too. Plus I currently only have a laptop and have been meaning to get a desktop.


You should be able to plug a USB keyboard and mouse into the ps3, and basically play like PC users do.
I fail at PC building or telling you what to just go out and buy.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a |
#6 Sep 22 2013 at 3:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
77 posts
I would just buy a ps4
Question text
choice 1 :0 (0.0%)
choice 2 :0 (0.0%)
choice 3 :1 (100.0%)
choice 4 :0 (%)
Total:1
[poll]
[question]Question text[/question]
[choice]choice 1 [/choice]
[choice]choice 2 [/choice]
[choice]choice 3 [/choice]
[choice]choice 4 [/choice]
[/poll]
#7 Sep 22 2013 at 3:18 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
425 posts
Read this thread: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1436797-the-homebuilt-gaming-pc-guide/

It's reference of sorts. Some parts recommended may already be out of date/have something better than it.
____________________________
FFXI character: Elathia ::F Tarutaru::87SCH/75RDM/70WHM/54BLM::Cerberus/Ragnarok/Bahamut::1/23/2004 - 3/25/2015 :: Retired
RDM First 75 Job :: RDM Maat victory: March 28, 2008 (1/3) :: San d'Oria R10 Long live King Destin :: Praise be to the late King Ranperre.
FFXIV character: Selene Silverstorm :: F Lalafell :: WAR60/WHM60/BLM60 :: Ragnarok :: 9/2013 -
Patch note archives for FFXIV: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/patchnote_log/
#8 Sep 22 2013 at 6:11 PM Rating: Decent
As a reference I'm actually playing this game with an i5 3350P @ 3.1 ghz, radeon hd 6670 and 8gb ram. I average 50 frames in the open world and 30-35 in crowed areas, even then the my frames tend to fluctuate anyways. Here is the system I cooked up:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128627

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131490

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182068

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352031

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116442

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

Good luck.





Edited, Sep 22nd 2013 8:20pm by CaseyPaige
#9 Sep 22 2013 at 8:16 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,175 posts
worgendruid wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
worgendruid wrote:
I'm having a lot of fun. I'm close to unlocking BLM and hope to switch back to CON once I'm on a PC and can target normally :P.


Wait, you already play the game? Why spend $900 if you can already play it?


I play it on the PS3, but do not like how that that version plays. Investing in a PC would allow me to play other games, too. Plus I currently only have a laptop and have been meaning to get a desktop.

What about how it plays don't you like? I'm just curious why you'd budget out $900 for something that will get you a slightly better performing game and a little utility(depending on what else you'd use it for).
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 5 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (5)