Long-time Final Fantasy XI player, Corinth, who has worked with me on JP Button, and now writes for Final Fantasy XIV fan site, Eorzeapedia, has just completed an interview at PAX with Global Online Producer Sage Sundi and North American Online Producer Yasu Kurosawa. Without the developers on hand, the discussion focused around the player community, both inside and outside the world of Eorzea.
- Players can expect to see seasonal events -- though they are still in the planning stages.
- Sundi believes FFXIV and FFXI should be combined into the same VanaFest-type event.
- As for VanaFest, the team is mulling over how to best serve Japan, North America AND Europe -- don't forget Europe! -- as they plan more offline events.
- The upcoming launch party in Japan (350 Japanese beta testers will receive an invite via lottery selection) will be fairly low key, with no live streaming for overseas players. Some Japanese media will attend.
- The Premiere Site system will return, but cover many more sites, including those run by individuals. The idea is to promote the work of true fans and further alienate RMT.
- The team is ready to support player-run events in game. Currently, you need to send an e-mail to apply, but they will have a form set up in the future.
- PVP may be included as part of a specific event in the game, but there will be no open PVP.