Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

State of the Game?Follow

#1 Feb 21 2011 at 7:08 PM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
I don't expect any of you to remember me or, for that matter, even care but I was an early beta tester for FFXIV, being a fan of FFXI during its heyday. I posted here a lot and was pretty supportive of SE up until the transition of closed beta to open beta when it was clear they were not taking player opinions on several subjects.

I abandoned hope FFXIV would be a good game based on three major points:

1. Lack of content (storyline or otherwise). There were very few things that kept me entertained in the game. I never had the urge to go a little farther. There were very few quests and no overarching storyline that snared my attention.

2. Excessive grinding. When I first played MMOs I was all for the grind but these days grinds bore me. I don't like running around killing hordes of rats, sheep, birds or whatever else just for the heck of it. I enjoy want variety and purpose when I play games because that's what entertains me.

3. Artificial limitations. I was one of those who freaked out when it was first said that SE will be limiting our play style by stunting our growth when playing a certain class too much. Add to that the quest system which limits the amount of quests we can have in a two day period and it really ****** me off.

I also had issue with the UI at the time, the lack of an AH and the bazaar system but those were easy fixes.

My point for posting isn't to complain one last time but to ask if any of these issues were fixed. Generally when a new MMO comes out I ascribe to the opinion that if you can't get it right at launch you've lost your shot at getting my money but having been such a SE fan in the past and knowing that SE has actually fired management and is restructuring the game I'm willing to give the game another shot.

So anyway, I gave it a few months after the restructuring of the management to ask this: how is the game fairing?

Edited, Feb 21st 2011 6:09pm by Yogtheterrible
#2 Feb 21 2011 at 7:13 PM Rating: Excellent
**
845 posts
Yogtheterrible wrote:
I don't expect any of you to remember me or, for that matter, even care but I was an early beta tester for FFXIV, being a fan of FFXI during its heyday. I posted here a lot and was pretty supportive of SE up until the transition of closed beta to open beta when it was clear they were not taking player opinions on several subjects.

I abandoned hope FFXIV would be a good game based on three major points:

1. Lack of content (storyline or otherwise). There were very few things that kept me entertained in the game. I never had the urge to go a little farther. There were very few quests and no overarching storyline that snared my attention.

2. Excessive grinding. When I first played MMOs I was all for the grind but these days grinds bore me. I don't like running around killing hordes of rats, sheep, birds or whatever else just for the heck of it. I enjoy want variety and purpose when I play games because that's what entertains me.

3. Artificial limitations. I was one of those who freaked out when it was first said that SE will be limiting our play style by stunting our growth when playing a certain class too much. Add to that the quest system which limits the amount of quests we can have in a two day period and it really ****** me off.

I also had issue with the UI at the time, the lack of an AH and the bazaar system but those were easy fixes.

My point for posting isn't to complain one last time but to ask if any of these issues were fixed. Generally when a new MMO comes out I ascribe to the opinion that if you can't get it right at launch you've lost your shot at getting my money but having been such a SE fan in the past and knowing that SE has actually fired management and is restructuring the game I'm willing to give the game another shot.

So anyway, I gave it a few months after the restructuring of the management to ask this: how is the game fairing?

Edited, Feb 21st 2011 6:09pm by Yogtheterrible


1) Still isnt any extra content yet.
2) Behest, leves, and grinding are the only ways to rank up right now still.
3) Surplus a.k.a Bonus exp are still in the game and yes they still limit your SP per hour if you grind one class to much.

Edited, Feb 21st 2011 8:13pm by UncleRuckusForLife
____________________________

#3 Feb 21 2011 at 7:15 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
I am downloading XI right now...


and yes I remember you - we were testing on the same server. I used to see you mining.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#4 Feb 21 2011 at 7:17 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,159 posts
Thanks for the response...guess the new management either hasn't got around to the real issues yet or they don't understand why people stopped playing the game.
#5 Feb 21 2011 at 7:18 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
200 posts
Unfortunately, not too much has changed, but they do have a new development team who is listening to the players and working on addressing such issues twice a month. That being said, the game has become rather fun in my opinion as long as you have an active linkshell and have the patience to wait out the improvements.
#6 Feb 21 2011 at 7:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
76 posts
I'm not sure if you've been keeping up with the letters from the producer but hey are very informative and merit a trip to the Lodestone if you haven't visited recently.

1. As of this very instant there has been very little content added if any. However there has been a schedule set in place to have bimonthly updates. One for UI and basic game mechanic improvements, and the other for content.

2. The recent patch resulting in a HUGE SP change had some players thinking that it was a mistake because of how fast they were getting it. So I guess it would mean less grinding if there was more to do as of know. At least if feels productive.

3. The caps are still in place but when you look at it, it's no different than having and EXP cap per mob kill IMO. Just a different method of keeping from people blasting through.

In terms of UI and AH. The UI has dramatically improved in terms of fluidity, speed, and design. The MW have a search feature and are ever evolving at this point and are no much different from a an AH. There are some deficiencies in terms of listing items bu you can find what your looking for just as fast as long as its there.

From what you've said I would give the game another month or 2 before you come back. It should have more of what you're looking for by then.
____________________________


#7 Feb 21 2011 at 7:46 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
AtryxEtair wrote:
give the game another month or 2 before you come back. It should have more of what you're looking for by then.


I would say give the game until PS3 release.

SE said that they will release the game for PS3 when they feel that it's worthy of bearing the "Final Fantasy" moniker (i.e., when it's fit to garner a review that will be greater than an "F" from most reviewers).

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't bother coming back to a game that I didn't like while the developers themselves still feel that it's an unworthy title.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#8 Feb 23 2011 at 6:36 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Yogtheterrible wrote:
Thanks for the response...guess the new management either hasn't got around to the real issues yet or they don't understand why people stopped playing the game.


People are quitting while the game is still free. They'd rather re-sub other paying games than bother with a free game that is this bad. :)

There is hope. Yoshi-P seems to get it. Time will tell.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#9 Feb 23 2011 at 4:55 PM Rating: Decent
**
395 posts
I feel your pain.
The grind is pretty bad because there isn't anything to do besides the grind.

In FFXI you always had something to unlock.
You had your chocobos, your airship, other jobs, keys, quests, ballista (hah!), campaign battles, missions, artifact armor, limit break quests, BCNMs, ENMs, camping NMs, Assaults, Nyzul Isle, Campaign Missions, oh and of course - Leveling Up.

There was always something you could be doing. In FFXIV it's craft, or kill. Oh and like 10 missions. And 8 levequests per 36 hours which take about 10 minutes each. .... and behest which is still grinding, no conquest points or anything cool.


You just need to give it time though, the 2nd poll ends tomorrow, which will determine the direction of the game, and we're supposed to be getting quests soon. My recommendation to you is to come back in 30 days. We should have 2-3 patches by then, which are all supposed to contain some level of content. At this exact moment it's hard to say much about the game, except "Just wait a little longer!"

The games improved a lot, EXP is no longer as bad, some balancing has taken place, a few notorious monsters but some classes are left out of the loot pool right now. No Pug or Archer weapons for example. Mage gear comes from Levequest NMs. Theres still a desperate need for content and things to occupy yourself with when your not grinding.
____________________________

http://www.prismaticllama.com/
http://www.sologensystems.com
The Prismatic Llama - Peru's llamas got nothing on us.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 23 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (23)