Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

FFXIII-3 And the Square Numbered Series(s)Follow

#1 Jun 10 2013 at 2:26 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
This is slightly off topic but Final Fantasy related nonetheless so I decided to post it. It seems that Square-Enix is becoming a fan of sequels to the numbered series (FFX, FFX-2, FFXIII,-2,-3). I think I speak for many when I say I'm glad to see Lightning return...so she can leave once and for all. But even knowing the trilogy is coming to a close I have that nagging fear of "what if it isn't ending?"

Do you think there will come a point where, in order to maximum even more usage of the same data and engine we will start seeing games like this at E3 events?

Screenshot

Oh the horror...

Edited, Jun 10th 2013 4:27pm by electromagnet83
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#2 Jun 10 2013 at 2:40 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
SE has bleed all the great and amazing talent they had, when they where Square, now all they have left is one good writer, and a bunch of amateurs who are far more interested in creating glorified Trailers instead of interesting gameplay mechanics or amazing story lines.

They should fire whoever is in charge of versus and XIII, and replace it with the scenario writer of Type 0 and call it a day
____________________________
MUTED
#3 Jun 10 2013 at 2:44 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
818 posts
It seems more of a cost management thing than anything. If they create a game using an engine, textures, etc it is much easier to then simply write sequels and reanimate things for the cutscenes all using the current technology rather than having to create a whole new art set, character models, and so on and so forth. Still, this attempt to manage costs is causing player frustration. We don't need 20 sequels of an installment. Make it, end it, move on is what I say.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#4 Jun 10 2013 at 2:47 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Square has never been a "Cost manage" type company, the only reason XIII gets 2 sequels is because, versus is not done for some reason.... and XIII-1 sold 6 million copy's, if it had sold 3 million, that would have been it for the XIII saga. It is the only thing SE got going for itself, as far as FF is related.
____________________________
MUTED
#5 Jun 10 2013 at 3:04 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Ostia wrote:
Square has never been a "Cost manage" type company, the only reason XIII gets 2 sequels is because, versus is not done for some reason.... and XIII-1 sold 6 million copy's, if it had sold 3 million, that would have been it for the XIII saga. It is the only thing SE got going for itself, as far as FF is related.


Because of cost. That is why versus isn't done. The public records show SE is in financial trouble. With the fail of 1.0 and their current financial situation it is, for lack of a better term, easier for them to rehash sequels using the same resources as the previous one. I can guarantee that FFXIII-3 costs probably half of what Versus would cost to complete.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#6 Jun 10 2013 at 3:43 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Lmao! You really believe SE has not finished Versus, because of Cost ? Yet they where able to scrap some loose change for ARR, Type 0, XIII-2-3, Dissidia 1-2, etc etc etc... Yeah! The only reason versus is not out is because of money.... Not!
____________________________
MUTED
#7 Jun 10 2013 at 3:53 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I heard a rumor that they wanted to make FFX-3, and do Rikku's story, but the project never went anywhere (probably since the PS3 came out.)
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#8 Jun 10 2013 at 4:02 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Catwho wrote:
I heard a rumor that they wanted to make FFX-3, and do Rikku's story, but the project never went anywhere (probably since the PS3 came out.)


And I'm very thankful for that. I know there's probably a lot of people who liked FFX-2 and the whole dress sphere system, and the actual class change part of it was rather fun for a while... but the game as a whole just felt like a massive cash grab. Heck the first half of the game had like a total of 3 FMV's and it looked like they didn't even spend time bothering to create a unique feeling to the game. It felt like they ripped the guts out of FFX and just replaced a few things here and there. I just want them to focus on new titles and stop with the rehashes...


and beg and plead and do whatever it takes to get Sakaguchi back from Mistwalker, that man knows how to make a Final Fantasy game... even when it's titled Lost Odyssey.
#9 Jun 10 2013 at 4:07 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
BartelX wrote:
Catwho wrote:
I heard a rumor that they wanted to make FFX-3, and do Rikku's story, but the project never went anywhere (probably since the PS3 came out.)


And I'm very thankful for that. I know there's probably a lot of people who liked FFX-2 and the whole dress sphere system, and the actual class change part of it was rather fun for a while... but the game as a whole just felt like a massive cash grab. Heck the first half of the game had like a total of 3 FMV's and it looked like they didn't even spend time bothering to create a unique feeling to the game. It felt like they ripped the guts out of FFX and just replaced a few things here and there. I just want them to focus on new titles and stop with the rehashes...


and beg and plead and do whatever it takes to get Sakaguchi back from Mistwalker, that man knows how to make a Final Fantasy game... even when it's titled Lost Odyssey.



OMG I HATED FFX-2. I loved FFX but seriously when I rented FFX-2 to test it before buying I took it back after about 20 minutes.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#10 Jun 10 2013 at 4:23 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,033 posts
I honestly don't care how many spin-offs are made, as long as they're good games. Unfortunately most of them have been bad.

Edited, Jun 10th 2013 6:28pm by BrokenFox
#11 Jun 10 2013 at 4:45 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
818 posts
Ostia wrote:
Lmao! You really believe SE has not finished Versus, because of Cost ? Yet they where able to scrap some loose change for ARR, Type 0, XIII-2-3, Dissidia 1-2, etc etc etc... Yeah! The only reason versus is not out is because of money.... Not!


They scrapped some loose change for ARR because they absolutely had to to salvage their name. Versus had only been shown in minute detail a long time ago and could easily be swept to the wayside. XIII-2-3, again, were made because the dev set, texture set, graphic engine, battle mechanics, etc was already there. All they had to do was hire some intern writers and folks to reanimate the character models according to the story. I guarantee all of that (aside from ARR which was needed regardless of cost) was much less money than Versus would have cost to continue. Priorities.

Edited, Jun 10th 2013 6:48pm by electromagnet83
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#12 Jun 10 2013 at 5:29 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Lmao! You really believe SE has not finished Versus, because of Cost ? Yet they where able to scrap some loose change for ARR, Type 0, XIII-2-3, Dissidia 1-2, etc etc etc... Yeah! The only reason versus is not out is because of money.... Not!


They scrapped some loose change for ARR because they absolutely had to to salvage their name. Versus had only been shown in minute detail a long time ago and could easily be swept to the wayside. XIII-2-3, again, were made because the dev set, texture set, graphic engine, battle mechanics, etc was already there. All they had to do was hire some intern writers and folks to reanimate the character models according to the story. I guarantee all of that (aside from ARR which was needed regardless of cost) was much less money than Versus would have cost to continue. Priorities.

Edited, Jun 10th 2013 6:48pm by electromagnet83


You are being a fanboy electro, there is 0 evidence that points toward your argument of "Versus is not out because of moneys" Versus was unveiled in 2006 along XIII and Type-0 2 of those games where released.... But for the sake of argument let's say SE is tight with their money, lets see how few titles they have released since 2006.

Fantasy Earth: Zero (2006)
Front Mission 5 (2006)
Children of mana (2006)
Dirge of Cerberus (2006)
FFXII (2006)
Final Fantasy III (NDS 2006)
Dawn of mana (2006)
Heroes of mana (2007)
Front Mission (NDS 2007)
FFXII: Revenant Wings (NDS 2007)
FFT: War of the lions (PSP 2007)
Crisis Core (PSP 2007)
FFXII International Job (2007)
FF Crystal chronicles ring of fates (2007)
Yosumin (NDS/360 2007)
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo (2007)
Infinite Undiscovery (2008)

Etc etc etc i can go for like 3 pages Smiley: lol The reason Versus is not out is not because of Money! SE loves throwing away Smiley: lol Verus is the game out of the Novalis crystalia whatever is called saga, that most people wanted to play and still want to play.... Yet is the only one not released.... Yeah because of money ? They aint Broke!
____________________________
MUTED
#13 Jun 10 2013 at 5:35 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,177 posts
Versus really just needs to put up or shut up. This is the Kingdom Hearts team we're talking here, they could be making a well-wanted third main series title by now.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#14 Jun 10 2013 at 5:42 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Ostia wrote:
electromagnet83 wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Lmao! You really believe SE has not finished Versus, because of Cost ? Yet they where able to scrap some loose change for ARR, Type 0, XIII-2-3, Dissidia 1-2, etc etc etc... Yeah! The only reason versus is not out is because of money.... Not!


They scrapped some loose change for ARR because they absolutely had to to salvage their name. Versus had only been shown in minute detail a long time ago and could easily be swept to the wayside. XIII-2-3, again, were made because the dev set, texture set, graphic engine, battle mechanics, etc was already there. All they had to do was hire some intern writers and folks to reanimate the character models according to the story. I guarantee all of that (aside from ARR which was needed regardless of cost) was much less money than Versus would have cost to continue. Priorities.

Edited, Jun 10th 2013 6:48pm by electromagnet83


You are being a fanboy electro, there is 0 evidence that points toward your argument of "Versus is not out because of moneys" Versus was unveiled in 2006 along XIII and Type-0 2 of those games where released.... But for the sake of argument let's say SE is tight with their money, lets see how few titles they have released since 2006.

Fantasy Earth: Zero (2006)
Front Mission 5 (2006)
Children of mana (2006)
Dirge of Cerberus (2006)
FFXII (2006)
Final Fantasy III (NDS 2006)
Dawn of mana (2006)
Heroes of mana (2007)
Front Mission (NDS 2007)
FFXII: Revenant Wings (NDS 2007)
FFT: War of the lions (PSP 2007)
Crisis Core (PSP 2007)
FFXII International Job (2007)
FF Crystal chronicles ring of fates (2007)
Yosumin (NDS/360 2007)
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo (2007)
Infinite Undiscovery (2008)

Etc etc etc i can go for like 3 pages Smiley: lol The reason Versus is not out is not because of Money! SE loves throwing away Smiley: lol Verus is the game out of the Novalis crystalia whatever is called saga, that most people wanted to play and still want to play.... Yet is the only one not released.... Yeah because of money ? They aint Broke!


First, no fanboy because I think that it is sad what they're doing. Second, just because games were "released" after the announcement of Versus means nothing. All of those would have been in development since like 2002-2003. Versus was a teaser trailer at E3 while those other games that were released within a year or two were already mostly complete, and consequently paid for. Versus was a new project that would have had the associated costs. Honestly? It was probably in mid development when 1.0 tanked horribly and they shelved it, plain and simple.


Edited, Jun 10th 2013 7:46pm by electromagnet83
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#15 Jun 10 2013 at 8:54 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
Ostia wrote:
electromagnet83 wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Lmao! You really believe SE has not finished Versus, because of Cost ? Yet they where able to scrap some loose change for ARR, Type 0, XIII-2-3, Dissidia 1-2, etc etc etc... Yeah! The only reason versus is not out is because of money.... Not!


They scrapped some loose change for ARR because they absolutely had to to salvage their name. Versus had only been shown in minute detail a long time ago and could easily be swept to the wayside. XIII-2-3, again, were made because the dev set, texture set, graphic engine, battle mechanics, etc was already there. All they had to do was hire some intern writers and folks to reanimate the character models according to the story. I guarantee all of that (aside from ARR which was needed regardless of cost) was much less money than Versus would have cost to continue. Priorities.

Edited, Jun 10th 2013 6:48pm by electromagnet83


You are being a fanboy electro, there is 0 evidence that points toward your argument of "Versus is not out because of moneys" Versus was unveiled in 2006 along XIII and Type-0 2 of those games where released.... But for the sake of argument let's say SE is tight with their money, lets see how few titles they have released since 2006.

Fantasy Earth: Zero (2006)
Front Mission 5 (2006)
Children of mana (2006)
Dirge of Cerberus (2006)
FFXII (2006)
Final Fantasy III (NDS 2006)
Dawn of mana (2006)
Heroes of mana (2007)
Front Mission (NDS 2007)
FFXII: Revenant Wings (NDS 2007)
FFT: War of the lions (PSP 2007)
Crisis Core (PSP 2007)
FFXII International Job (2007)
FF Crystal chronicles ring of fates (2007)
Yosumin (NDS/360 2007)
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo (2007)
Infinite Undiscovery (2008)

Etc etc etc i can go for like 3 pages Smiley: lol The reason Versus is not out is not because of Money! SE loves throwing away Smiley: lol Verus is the game out of the Novalis crystalia whatever is called saga, that most people wanted to play and still want to play.... Yet is the only one not released.... Yeah because of money ? They aint Broke!


First, no fanboy because I think that it is sad what they're doing. Second, just because games were "released" after the announcement of Versus means nothing. All of those would have been in development since like 2002-2003. Versus was a teaser trailer at E3 while those other games that were released within a year or two were already mostly complete, and consequently paid for. Versus was a new project that would have had the associated costs. Honestly? It was probably in mid development when 1.0 tanked horribly and they shelved it, plain and simple.


Edited, Jun 10th 2013 7:46pm by electromagnet83


Quote:
The production of Final Fantasy Versus XIII started shortly before its unveiling at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) trade fair in May 2006.[19]


7 years Still no Versus... It has not been because of Money. SE is not Broke!
____________________________
MUTED
#16 Jun 11 2013 at 2:00 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
599 posts
It's also worth mentioning it's probably not the last you've seen of Lightning.

Kingdom Hearts 3.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 71 All times are in CST
Seriha, Anonymous Guests (70)